Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Feenie wrote: »
    do you have a source on this?
    also Seana Morey, Pat O'Connor and and Aidan McCarthy in the half back line? yeah I have no clue what Brian is at.The rest of the team seems strong though, I'm thinking that full back line would hold well enough. Forwards looking to be in top shape aswell from the looks of it.

Sure:

https://clare.gaa.ie/clare-team-v-limerick/

The only way I see it is Lohan want's to keep things tight for 45 minutes and spring Shanagher and Cunningham from the bench.

Morey and McCarthy are good fit hurlers, so it's possible Lohan wants them to do alot of tracking against the Limerick wing forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

letowski wrote: »
    Sure:

The only way I see it is Lohan want's to keep things tight for 45 minutes and spring Shanagher and Cunningham from the bench.

Morey and McCarthy are good fit hurlers, so it's possible Lohan wants them to do alot of tracking against the Limerick wing forwards.

sorry about being skeptical, couldn't find any articles on it.
    I could definitely see that that, I hope Brian hasn't forgot about Cathal McInerney and his huge ability as a hurler. Oddly he isn't listed a sub. I hope he's still involved in the panel somehow.

Morey is a strong very built looking lad but he's not very tall. That could be an issue. I don't know about Aidan McCarthy's physical presence, his hurling one is huge though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That half back line will be destroyed by any other team, if that's the starting team I can only assume that they will be bringing 2 forwards back to help out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Footballers haven't started well, early goal conceded isn't a great start :(

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1319989426060222465?s=20

1-7 to 0-9 at half time

• Advertisement

CLARE GOAL, O'Dea, back to a point in it, 1-11 to 1-10 to Armagh

1-12 to 1-11 Armagh ahead at the water break.

All square after 25, the winner of this game goes up to division 1

COME ON THE BANNER

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Come on Clare

Clare lose by 4 points, we need Roscommon to beat Cavan to stay up

• Advertisement

Roscommon win, we retain division 2 status, phew

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

jesus christ, a clare fade out in the last few minutes and a total houdini act by Laois has doomed us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

supernova5 wrote: »
    jesus christ, a clare fade out in the last few minutes and a total houdini act by Laois has doomed us

Didn't Clare stay up?

my mistake, had not taken the head to head into consideration, thought it came down to points difference - way to close for comfort....

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

my mistake, had not taken the head to head into consideration, thought it came down to points difference - way to close for comfort....

Was a massive chance to get promoted if we had somehow sneaked a win, although we wouldn't survive in division 1 it would have been a lovely reward for Collins and how he has improved the fortunes of this team over the last 7 years
    Division 2 next year will be a real bear pit with Cork and Down coming up and Meath and either Mayo or Tyrone dropping down.
    Fair play to the lads on retaining their status and best of luck in the championship next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

IT was more or less job done last week in terms of relegation , it would have taken a series of results to put us down , it was always unlikley that roscommon would be beaten given the form they are in , the best two teams have been promoted to division 1 , armagh are an excellent side espically with the forwards they have they wont be out of place up there

to be fair we should be happy to consoliate division 2 status considering several players were missing for most of the league , this is our level pretty much

letowski wrote: »
    Sure:

it would certainly appear that way , we were killed in the middle 3rd against them last year , not confident about tomorrow but atleast we looked like a solid side during the league hopfully the intensity levels are their tomorrow

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Had a quick look - Ultan Kelm would be expected to start also?

they managed to pull out of the hat lorcan mcSravick who is a mcCory cup winner and a serious prospect over the next ten years , the jones family were unaffected by the virus also thankfully :rolleyes:

fermanagh are a deacent team i would have both cavan and fermanagh ahead of laois and westmeath and even us but them the cards

kildare will be kicking themselves over the first two or 3 rounds of the league and what might have been , ironically so will we

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

they managed to pull out of the hat lorcan mcSravick who is a mcCory cup winner and a serious prospect over the next ten years , the jones family were unaffected by the virus also thankfully :rolleyes:

fermanagh are a deacent team i would have both cavan and fermanagh ahead of laois and westmeath and even us but them the cards

kildare will be kicking themselves over the first two or 3 rounds of the league and what might have been , ironically so will we

I don't know I think there has been a myth built up around the Ulster teams and how competitive their provincial championship is.
    Antrim are division 4 permanently, Derry are hovering around there lately as well, Down division 3, Fermanagh and Cavan relegated to division 3, we beat both of them and I don't think any of the two of them are great
    Armagh promoted, they have some fine players but their is serious question marks about their defence, we had plenty of goal scoring opportunity's yesterday and didn't take them, Roscommon did the week before, I think they will come straight back down because those deficiencies will be exploited in the top Division. Tyrone could be relegated today, Monaghan I have a lot of respect for, but can't beat the top teams when it matters. Donegal are the best team up there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Tis match day :). Not confident at all but it will be great to watch hurling again. Hopefully we can stay in the fight for the first 40/50 minutes and then go to our bench which looks pretty strong.

Strange enough team, while I’d be skeptical of the half back line, I’m more worried about our scoring ability. SOD and Malone wouldn’t be big scorers, Taylor is more a midfielder so let’s see what happens.

Just want us to be competitive today anyway. I’d have Limerick favourites for the All Ireland so we need a massive effort.

• Advertisement

First off the footballers, another year in division 2 and more importantly playing for Sam next year. I think this is about the level for this team but they've brought through a few players and were 10 minutes from division 1. We have a bench now that doesn't weaken the team when they are called on. Quick turn around to championship next week but I'm hopeful for a Munster final this year.

Now for the hurlers, have to say this is the most downbeat I've been in a long time about Clare hurling, I can't see us having a hope today, I hope I'm completely wrong but looking at that team the half backs will be completely dominated which will mean that we'll have to bring back a few forwards which will mean that our forwards will be dominated by the Limerick backs when we should be targeting their full back lime.

Looking at the team, we've a new player in the center of every line including a new goalie. I don't think Cleary is solid enough for full back, I can see him going for balls, missing and then leaving Limerick an easy goal chance, we've changed goalie because of 10 goals in 2 challenge matches, goalies are usually not at fault on their own so I'm extremely worried about us leaking goal. O'Connor isn't a bad center back but his wing backs don't make this the most dominate line going, I'd prefer to have him on the wing instead of at 6. Midfield is a new pairing and McInerney is being brought out, I think he was wasted a bit at full back but I don't know how himself and Kelly will go in midfield. I think we found Kelly's best position last year as corner forward who can go out to midfield to get the ball, but he's back at midfield now and he's on the frees, big day from him today, if we're going to have any chance today we have to score every free. For the forwards, there's a huge responsibility on Fitz today, he's out only ball winner, if we've to have any chance today we have to score goals and take every chance we get, having SoD falling around the place with his arms out looking for frees isn't going to cut it today, they are going to have to get good ball and run at their opponents.

Looking at the bookies, Limerick to win by 11 or more points at 3/1 looks to be the bet of the day, considering Clare are 4/1 to win that shows what the bookies think.

From the team and subs that lined out in the All Ireland semi final in 2018 we are down 7 players [for various reasons] - that's a big deficit and disadvantage for any team to make up
    we just have to get on with the hand we're dealt with at this point, lets hope Clare can be competitive at least and put up a decent showing in the back door/qualifiers

From the team and subs that lined out in the All Ireland semi final in 2018 we are down 7 players [for various reasons] - that's a big deficit and disadvantage for any team to make up
    we just have to get on with the hand we're dealt with at this point, lets hope Clare can be competitive at least and put up a decent showing in the back door/qualifiers

Limerick also have 7 changes from the squad that won the All Ireland in 2018 and today's game so it's the same for both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Clare will do much better than is generally accepted. I see them being fired up and competing well. If McInerney and Kelly both hurl well then we could see McInerney being able to sit infront of O Connor. Actually he has to do this because O Conner is not going to catch ball over Hayes. He might break it down.
    Full Forward line is 66% good. Obviously Shane O Donnell is our best corner forward of all time but he can't be expected to carry the whole line as he has in the past. Malone I have no faith in..hes got no hurling and Dan Morrissey will have a field day. Taylor is good..I hope he does well.
    Ultimately Limerick have the better side and the final score might be more than 5 but I see us standing up and putting on a performance . Youd never know,it might be enough.

SoD our best corner forward of all time???? Name 3 games where he played well for the full 70 minutes??? I'd say he's potentially our best corner forward but inconsistencies means I'd argue that he's not even Eire Ogs best as Stephen Mac has more medals than him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Clare will do much better than is generally accepted. I see them being fired up and competing well. If McInerney and Kelly both hurl well then we could see McInerney being able to sit infront of O Connor. Actually he has to do this because O Conner is not going to catch ball over Hayes. He might break it down.
    Full Forward line is 66% good. Obviously Shane O Donnell is our best corner forward of all time but he can't be expected to carry the whole line as he has in the past. Malone I have no faith in..hes got no hurling and Dan Morrissey will have a field day. Taylor is good..I hope he does well.
    Ultimately Limerick have the better side and the final score might be more than 5 but I see us standing up and putting on a performance . Youd never know,it might be enough.

I agree I think Pat O’Connor’s main responsibility today will be protecting the full back line. Limerick have a serious full forward line. He won’t win a man on battle with Kyle Hayes anyway. I’d give Kyle Hayes 5 points from play so long as POC can help limit Limericks full forward line.

I'd imagine Clare will be content to give away frees rather than letting play develop, besides Cleary are any of our backs over 6 foot? Considering this has to be considered winter hurling we'll going to struggle physically majorly today I fear

Clareman wrote: »
    SoD our best corner forward of all time???? Name 3 games where he played well for the full 70 minutes??? I'd say he's potentially our best corner forward but inconsistencies means I'd argue that he's not even Eire Ogs best as Stephen Mac has more medals than him

Stephen McNamara scored some fine goals,great athlete. Ultimately always injured and a one trick pony ...couldn't score points..wouldnt pass ...couldn't. We wouldn't have won in 95 without him.
    O Donnell is fantastic..I could name whole Championship seasons when he was abandoned 'up top' and asked the chase 2 or 3 backs and make the ball stick until the cavalry caught up. His vision, his tackling and his unselfishness stand out. I couldn't be critical of him with some of the diabolical ball that he has got over the years.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    I'd imagine Clare will be content to give away frees rather than letting play develop, besides Cleary are any of our backs over 6 foot? Considering this has to be considered winter hurling we'll going to struggle physically majorly today I fear

Agreed. We can't give away goals or its curtains before half time. Sneada Morey is about 5'10 max.. Pat O Connor looks about 5'8 but I'm told he's taller...

Advertisement