Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Fact of the matter is Limerick didnt need to man mark him. They weren't willing to adjust their game plan to deal with him. Im sure if the scores were closer in the 2nd half they would have but it all became abit irrelevant.
    Kelly is extremely hard to mark. He lives off breaks and reading the game so a man marker is still usually a step behind all the time. He's very quick over 5 to 10 yards. And then his touch is amazing . Still against whomever we play next he will be man marked.
    Massive game next weekend for Limerick and Tipperary. The loser is out the following wkend and I think the wkend after aswell. Thats a tough ask. Still youd fancy both sides to come through the qualifiers. Id favour Limerick because of the extra game and it doesn't suit Tipperary playing Limerick. They caught a big drubbing off them last year.

Kelly has been man marked in club games and his effect on games curtailed. It's not really man marking, it a case of always having a man between him and the ball at all time and focused on moving with him. This has been done since Tony Kelly was undearage in Clare. Yesterday he was mighty, but eventually Limerick won the balls that he needs to run on to. We need ball winners.

Clareman wrote: »
    No point in getting too involved into Clare GAA finances, but I would say that we've enough of money and finances to contest at the top level, I would say that organization is the biggest problem. Historically our best teams came from a core of clubs getting a group of players, we've also lost players due to lack of opportunities being given.

Looking at the facilities around the county, off the top of my head I'm thinking of Tulla, Clarecastle, Clare Abbey, Barefield, Flannan's, Kilmaley, Lees Road, these facilities are some of the best in the country, there in place, yes they need to be funded but they are there.

Organisationally, there is good work going on. It's a question of how far Limerick and others have pulled ahead. What we have done is drifted down the Galway path a few years ago with smaller wristy hurlers, but haven't found the big 'enforcers' to drive on.

Loosing Conor Ryan as an example was a massive blow. Replacing Bugler and Cian Dillon is difficult even though both had limitations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Figerty wrote: »
    Kelly has been man marked in club games and his effect on games curtailed. It's not really man marking, it a case of always having a man between him and the ball at all time and focused on moving with him. This has been done since Tony Kelly was undearage in Clare. Yesterday he was mighty, but eventually Limerick won the balls that he needs to run on to. We need ball winners.

When he's playing midfield or 11 it's easy to do this as the centre back or midfield can mark him between the 3 of them but when he's coming from the corner they can't do this as they are already marking other players, that why I think it works so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Organisationally, there is good work going on. It's a question of how far Limerick and others have pulled ahead. What we have done is drifted down the Galway path a few years ago with smaller wristy hurlers, but haven't found the big 'enforcers' to drive on.

Loosing Conor Ryan as an example was a massive blow. Replacing Bugler and Cian Dillon is difficult even though both had limitations.

Organisationally there is nothing going on in Clare GAA. The county board are a shambles. Some examples above are all clubs who have done fantastic work.
    If people knew the half of what our intercounty management teams have to contend with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's great work being done at club level in almost every club in the county, the amount of blitzs that are running is brilliant, ok this year not so much because of COVID but you just need to see the Cul Camps to see how brilliant everything is going. BUT, in my opinion, politics start to impact when it starts getting to development squads or teams, people mightn't mean it to become political but when you had 12 people from 7 different clubs involved in a minor team it has to become political.

It'd be AMAZING to be able to have mentors not related to players involved with a team, but doing that will mean that you won't have anyone involved in the teams, same goes at county level but I think Clare needs someone like a Mattie Murphy as a figure head at minor level to cut through all the bull**** and get us on the right track.

• Advertisement

caddy16 wrote: »
    Organisationally there is nothing going on in Clare GAA. The county board are a shambles. Some examples above are all clubs who have done fantastic work.
    If people knew the half of what our intercounty management teams have to contend with.

The county board is a complete and utter disgrace and impacts every aspect of Clare GAA, ffs even the thread title here is influenced by the Don, it could be argued that any of our success in the past has been in spite of certain people in power but that's up to the intercounty management to deal with not to impact the players, it's not as if our current management didn't know what was ahead of them and they went for the job in defiance of the county board and have a county board delegate at every meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Clare GAA have some assets though. They have Cusack Park, Caherlohan, Clare Abbey and Ballyline.

Its absolutely crazy that Clare GAA have nearly €5m invested in Caherlohan and can't even use it during the winter. County teams still have to go to LIT/UL which isn't good enough. From what I've heard the playing surface isn't up to standard and there is no all weather fields at the grounds. There is another phase to be added but it wont be probably for another year or two.

There was a motion to sell Clare Abbey last year, I believe it should have passed (it didn't). The county board needs to be pumping money into underage hurling and facilities in Clare. It's very important nowadays that a county has a good Center of Excellence for they're development squads to train all year round with a good standard of facilities. It also helps the clubs aswell giving them access to train their teams during winter months. The club hurling standard in Clare isn't great either.

As caddy said, the county board is simply just not meeting the requirements to facilitate modern intercounty and club teams. And the results on the field are really coming home to roost.

I think I've made my opinion clear on the amount of facilities available to Clare GAA, the waste of money that went into Caherlohan not to mention the "research" that went into the ground out by the by-pass would put John Delaney to shame. Forgetting about Caherlohan for a second and concentrating on Ennis, there's the Camoige Grounds, Lees Road, Fair Green, Clare Abbey, Flannan's, Gurteen and Clarecastle all more than capable than facilitating intercounty training, ok they aren't dedicated to county teams but with a bit of scheduling they could be made available.

letowski wrote: »
    Clare GAA have some assets though. They have Cusack Park, Caherlohan, Clare Abbey and Ballyline.

Its absolutely crazy that Clare GAA have nearly €5m invested in Caherlohan and can't even use it during the winter. County teams still have to go to LIT/UL which isn't good enough. From what I've heard the playing surface isn't up to standard and there is no all weather fields at the grounds. There is another phase to be added but it wont be probably for another year or two.

There was a motion to sell Clare Abbey last year, I believe it should have passed (it didn't). The county board needs to be pumping money into underage hurling and facilities in Clare. It's very important nowadays that a county has a good Center of Excellence for they're development squads to train all year round with a good standard of facilities. It also helps the clubs aswell giving them access to train their teams during winter months. The club hurling standard in Clare isn't great either.

As caddy said, the county board is simply just not meeting the requirements to facilitate modern intercounty and club teams. And the results on the field are really coming home to roost.

Agreed, only issue now is even if it was sold you couldn't trust the current board to use the proceeds wisely.

Agreed, only issue now is even if it was sold you couldn't trust the current board to use the proceeds wisely.

Sure most of the money for the Aldi sale was for "research". We've Cusack Park, Caherlohan and Clare Abbey all under control from the county board and we're still renting out facilities.

• Advertisement

I think I've made my opinion clear on the amount of facilities available to Clare GAA, the waste of money that went into Caherlohan not to mention the "research" that went into the ground out by the by-pass would put John Delaney to shame. Forgetting about Caherlohan for a second and concentrating on Ennis, there's the Camoige Grounds, Lees Road, Fair Green, Clare Abbey, Flannan's, Gurteen and Clarecastle all more than capable than facilitating intercounty training, ok they aren't dedicated to county teams but with a bit of scheduling they could be made available.
    It's not practical to use club grounds, they get enough use on their on. Anyway that ship has sailed and Caherlohan is there it needs to be brought up to scratch.

It's not practical to use club grounds, they get enough use on their on. Anyway that ship has sailed and Caherlohan is there it needs to be brought up to scratch.

Normally I would say it's not practical to use club grounds but considering some of those grounds have 3 pitches I'd say it'd be fine to use them, I think Flannan's is an awful waste of resource as well which is never used.

The amount of money it'll take to bring Caherlohan up to scratch AND to keep it up to scratch will be "interesting".

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Treble double

What's the story with the hurling now? Who are Clare likely to play in the backdoor? If we are beaten again are we gone? Are the backdoor games open draw or do Munster losers play Leinster losers.
    For the year that's in it wouldn't a straight knock out have been the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

What's the story with the hurling now? Who are Clare likely to play in the backdoor? If we are beaten again are we gone? Are the backdoor games open draw or do Munster losers play Leinster losers.
    For the year that's in it wouldn't a straight knock out have been the way to go.

Ye'll either get a bye to the 2nd round of the qualifiers or else ye'll be up against one of the beaten Leinster teams.

Ye'll either get a bye to the 2nd round of the qualifiers or else ye'll be up against one of the beaten Leinster teams.

Yup that's it exactly

https://www.gaa.ie/news/plans-for-2020-inter-county-competitions-unveiled/

letowski wrote: »

Its absolutely crazy that Clare GAA have nearly €5m invested in Caherlohan and can't even use it during the winter. County teams still have to go to LIT/UL which isn't good enough.

Coming from a Limerick point of view I think Clare are actually very lucky to have the facilities at LIT and UL to use. UL in particular is a world class facility and it's great to see it being used by 'local' sides. It's senseless for Clare (or Limerick for that matter) to replicate what UL already have. Put the money into underage programmes instead.

I appreciate that the facilities Clare do have need to be upgraded but both counties are fortunate to have access to LIT/UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

No point in getting too involved into Clare GAA finances, but I would say that we've enough of money and finances to contest at the top level, I would say that organization is the biggest problem. Historically our best teams came from a core of clubs getting a group of players, we've also lost players due to lack of opportunities being given.

Looking at the facilities around the county, off the top of my head I'm thinking of Tulla, Clarecastle, Clare Abbey, Barefield, Flannan's, Kilmaley, Lees Road, these facilities are some of the best in the country, there in place, yes they need to be funded but they are there.

I disagree there. The facilities in those places certainly aren't at the standard of UL or even many clubs in the likes of Cork. Lees Road is very good..but im talking about all in one facilities. Do you realise what Limerick have access to? Its light years ahead of Clare. Physios,Doctors,nutritionists ..multiple gym facilities of a elite standard..

I disagree there. The facilities in those places certainly aren't at the standard of UL or even many clubs in the likes of Cork. Lees Road is very good..but im talking about all in one facilities. Do you realise what Limerick have access to? Its light years ahead of Clare. Physios,Doctors,nutritionists ..multiple gym facilities of a elite standard..

I would say that the setup of a proper academy in Limerick was the main driver behind their success and for all Cork's resources we've has better results over the past decade

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Saying all that if they have continued unfettered access to UL then there's no point in pumping money into Caherlohan when it will never be up to that standard. As a poster said its better to put the money into the players and not bricks and mortar.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

It's hard to know where the money should be going. Gym equipment might be one. We definitely need to start conditioning. look at our big hurlers at any age group. 6' foot and up. Not a piece of muscle on them. Take a few inches off their height and it matters more that they have the presence of strength.
    I generally agree that players matter more than bricks and mortar like the poster above said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

The ladies footballers new jersey is fairly nice looking

https://twitter.com/Clarelgfa/status/1321158963392581633?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sands81

Going by that link, Clare will have to be playing in the first qualifier round and can't get a bye to round 2. Same with Laois. Only teams beaten at semi final can get a bye to round 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

Saying all that if they have continued unfettered access to UL then there's no point in pumping money into Caherlohan when it will never be up to that standard. As a poster said its better to put the money into the players and not bricks and mortar.

If the money was pumped into Caherlohan and it was brought up to standard you would save it in the long run. The facility could also be rented out to clubs. The biggest hurdle for a facility like this is not having somewhere with the size to develop. Money was put into this and not used very well.

The county board were block renting Lee's Road astroturf for 5 or 6 hours on Saturdays for the winter and early Spring when ground is soft. I can only imagine how much is being paid to UL and LIT, the bill for this alone would cover an awful lot of payments on getting Caherlohan up to scratch.

Limerick GAA don't even use UL. They have their own centre of excellence. UL is handy as it's on our doorstep but spending money there after putting nearly 5 million into our own facility is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭fire_man

What are the gym facilities like in Caherlohan?

If the money was pumped into Caherlohan and it was brought up to standard you would save it in the long run. The facility could also be rented out to clubs. The biggest hurdle for a facility like this is not having somewhere with the size to develop. Money was put into this and not used very well.

The county board were block renting Lee's Road astroturf for 5 or 6 hours on Saturdays for the winter and early Spring when ground is soft. I can only imagine how much is being paid to UL and LIT, the bill for this alone would cover an awful lot of payments on getting Caherlohan up to scratch.

Limerick GAA don't even use UL. They have their own centre of excellence. UL is handy as it's on our doorstep but spending money there after putting nearly 5 million into our own facility is a disgrace.

If you think Clare are bad.. have a look at Galway!

I have been a massive supporter of Colm Collins and this Clare football team.
    But I am absolutely disgusted by today's performance from the team and especially the management
    It has become a common theme with this outfit in Munster Championship that they fall flat on their faces when they go into a game as favourites, they were nearly beaten by an awful Waterford team in Ennis last year and they started off today like they were sleepwalking, it's not good enough, they get plenty of credit when they put it up to good teams, but it takes balls to go out and do the business when you are the higher ranked team and they were sorely lacking today on the pitch and on the sideline
    Some of the selection decisions were baffling, the goalkeeper that played in the last two leauge games and did well was dropped and a fella that hasn't played in months came in and he was all over the shop in the first twenty minutes,Tipp got about 3 points directly at his mistake, Declan O Keefe has to answer for that faux pait.
    Ciaran Russell probably our best half back playing in the forwards when our backs were all at sea, I just can't understand that, he is miles ahead of Sweeney at half back.
    Gary Brennan is a legend of Clare football and always will be, but how he was left on for 70 minutes today only Collins can answer, he was awful and his body language was a disgrace, no fight, I feel sorry for Kevin Hartnett he was thrown to the wolves not fully fit and asked to mark Conor Sweeney.
    It was a shambles from players and management a like today and its must be the end of an era

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭KIB4Life

I have been a massive supporter of Colm Collins and this Clare football team.
    But I am absolutely disgusted by today's performance from the team and especially the management
    It has become a common theme with this outfit in Munster Championship that they fall flat on their faces when they go into a game as favourites, they were nearly beaten by an awful Waterford team in Ennis last year and they started off today like they were sleepwalking, it's not good enough, they get plenty of credit when they put it up to good teams, but it takes balls to go out and do the business when you are the higher ranked team and they were sorely lacking today on the pitch and on the sideline
    Some of the selection decisions were baffling, the goalkeeper that played in the last two leauge games and did well was dropped and a fella that hasn't played in months came in and he was all over the shop in the first twenty minutes,Tipp got about 3 points directly at his mistake, Declan O Keefe has to answer for that faux pait.
    Ciaran Russell probably our best half back playing in the forwards when our backs were all at sea, I just can't understand that, he is miles ahead of Sweeney at half back.
    Gary Brennan is a legend of Clare football and always will be, but how he was left on for 70 minutes today only Collins can answer, he was awful and his body language was a disgrace, no fight, I feel sorry for Kevin Hartnett he was thrown to the wolves not fully fit and asked to mark Conor Sweeney.
    It was a shambles from players and management a like today and its must be the end of an era

What you said was absolutely correct, absolutely atrocious performance. Why do they keep chopping and changing the goalie. Russell as you said a much better wing back, why not play an actual forward in the forwards instead or trying to squeeze someone into the team by playing them out of position. They seem to start slow in every game and there are some players that seem to be undroppable no matter how bad they’re playing.

O’hAiniféin was a big loss this year great ball carrier and adds great pace coming onto the ball and onto the attack. Also what has happened to Dean Ryan was starting this year for one of the top Clubs in Dublin but somehow he has dropped down the pecking order.

Could probably be Collins last game in charge, and in fairness he has brought us on a lot would have been great to have got to a Munster Final, but based on that performance we would be bate out the gate. It presume Michael Neylon would be the next in line to take over from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭fire_man

A numbers of players will step aside after today with Collins I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭KIB4Life

fire_man wrote: »
    A numbers of players will step aside after today with Collins I suspect.

Gary Brennan, Cathal O’Connor, David Tubridy, And Hartnett could potentially step aside. Kelly more then likely will 37 years of age and will be turning 38 next year, but has given incredible service to the county.

Clare actually need to pick defenders and backs that are comfortable on the ball and can attack. Jack Sheedy of Breckans is a much better player then his club mate Alan Sweeney, Daniel Walsh and Cillian Rouine are two other players that would add great pace as well if they came onto the panel and were added to the defence. Aidan McGuane, Ciaran Morrissey and Ryan Griffin are more defenders in the county that are comfortable on the ball.

I feel it’s an insult to Clare Football for Collins to pick a guy from Mayo, when we have players that are every bit as him good as him in this county and are not given a chance.

The biggest loss to Clare that hasn’t been talked or really mentioned has been Sean ‘Yank‘ O’Donoghue he was brilliant last year, had an unbelievable leap on him and we have struggled in the midfield area since he left.

We need to look at other potential midfielders to come into the panel maybe Darragh Bohannon might rejoin the panel or David Lernihan of Kilmihil could progress to senior level.

• Advertisement

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Gary Brennan, Cathal O’Connor, David Tubridy, And Hartnett could potentially step aside. Kelly more then likely will 37 years of age and will be turning 38 next year, but has given incredible service to the county.

Clare actually need to pick defenders and backs that are comfortable on the ball and can attack. Jack Sheedy of Breckans is a much better player then his club mate Alan Sweeney, Daniel Walsh and Cillian Rouine are two other players that would add great pace as well if they came onto the panel and were added to the defence. Aidan McGuane, Ciaran Morrissey and Ryan Griffin are more defenders in the county that are comfortable on the ball.

I feel it’s an insult to Clare Football for Collins to pick a guy from Mayo, when we have players that are every bit as him good as him in this county and are not given a chance.

The biggest loss to Clare that hasn’t been talked or really mentioned has been Sean ‘Yank‘ O’Donoghue he was brilliant last year, had an unbelievable leap on him and we have struggled in the midfield area since he left.

We need to look at other potential midfielders to come into the panel maybe Darragh Bohannon might rejoin the panel or David Lernihan of Kilmihil could progress to senior level.

I hate being critical of Colm Collins as far as I'm concerned he is the best manager the county team has ever had. Brought us from the basement to a consistent Division 2 team and an All Ireland quarter final along the way. He gave the platform for Gary Brennan, David Tubridy, Jamie Malone, Gordon Kelly,Eoin Cleary etc to be recognised nationally.
    But today has to be called out for what it was, a shambles. Tactically, selection wise, player attitude, it stank.
    Collins has bemoaned in the past being always drawn on the same side as Kerry, this was the big opportunity to get to a Munster Final and they didn't turn up.
    He has earned the right to give it another year if he wants, but he definitely needs to clear out his backroom team after today and get fresh ideas in there. It felt stale today.

Advertisement