Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭KIB4Life

I hate being critical of Colm Collins as far as I'm concerned he is the best manager the county team has ever had. Brought us from the basement to a consistent Division 2 team and an All Ireland quarter final along the way. He gave the platform for Gary Brennan, David Tubridy, Jamie Malone, Gordon Kelly,Eoin Cleary etc to be recognised nationally.
    But today has to be called out for what it was, a shambles. Tactically, selection wise, player attitude, it stank.
    Collins has bemoaned in the past being always drawn on the same side as Kerry, this was the big opportunity to get to a Munster Final and they didn't turn up.
    He has earned the right to give it another year if he wants, but he definitely needs to clear out his backroom team after today and get fresh ideas in there. It felt stale today.

I’m the same with you hate criticising Collins and the team as they always give it 100 percent and have a never say die attitude, even today when they were awful but for the penalty miss the game would have gone into extra time and we might have snuck a result, but the problem is why are we finding ourselves with so much work to do going 7 or 8 points in the last 2 games and earlier on in the league against Laois, something needs to be addressed on why Clare are starting so sluggish in games and even starting sluggish in the second half when they let Bill Maher waltz through the defence.

We are too slow and ponderous a lot of time on the ball apart from O’Dea and Podge when he came on were the only ones injecting pass to the attack. O’Dea has been absolutely outstanding all year, plays the sweeper role well and breaks forward and seems to be one of the few Clare players who can break the tackle.

Whether Collins stays or goes he has left the Clare team in a better place then when he took over. There are definitely some talented players coming through but it might take time for them to bed in, we need to adapt and also get some sort of kicking game going as it was apparent today and against Armagh that we are definitely inferior when it comes to kicking to a lot of teams and hopefully that can be improved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

I have been a massive supporter of Colm Collins and this Clare football team.
    But I am absolutely disgusted by today's performance from the team and especially the management
    It has become a common theme with this outfit in Munster Championship that they fall flat on their faces when they go into a game as favourites, they were nearly beaten by an awful Waterford team in Ennis last year and they started off today like they were sleepwalking, it's not good enough, they get plenty of credit when they put it up to good teams, but it takes balls to go out and do the business when you are the higher ranked team and they were sorely lacking today on the pitch and on the sideline
    Some of the selection decisions were baffling, the goalkeeper that played in the last two leauge games and did well was dropped and a fella that hasn't played in months came in and he was all over the shop in the first twenty minutes,Tipp got about 3 points directly at his mistake, Declan O Keefe has to answer for that faux pait.
    Ciaran Russell probably our best half back playing in the forwards when our backs were all at sea, I just can't understand that, he is miles ahead of Sweeney at half back.
    Gary Brennan is a legend of Clare football and always will be, but how he was left on for 70 minutes today only Collins can answer, he was awful and his body language was a disgrace, no fight, I feel sorry for Kevin Hartnett he was thrown to the wolves not fully fit and asked to mark Conor Sweeney.
    It was a shambles from players and management a like today and its must be the end of an era

Would agree with most of that. Tipp were the favourites with bookies at 8/11. They have been bogey side for Clare over the years. Aaron Fitz was a big loss in centre. Could have done with Dean Ryan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Gary Brennan, Cathal O’Connor, David Tubridy, And Hartnett could potentially step aside. Kelly more then likely will 37 years of age and will be turning 38 next year, but has given incredible service to the county.

Clare actually need to pick defenders and backs that are comfortable on the ball and can attack. Jack Sheedy of Breckans is a much better player then his club mate Alan Sweeney, Daniel Walsh and Cillian Rouine are two other players that would add great pace as well if they came onto the panel and were added to the defence. Aidan McGuane, Ciaran Morrissey and Ryan Griffin are more defenders in the county that are comfortable on the ball.

I feel it’s an insult to Clare Football for Collins to pick a guy from Mayo, when we have players that are every bit as him good as him in this county and are not given a chance.

The biggest loss to Clare that hasn’t been talked or really mentioned has been Sean ‘Yank‘ O’Donoghue he was brilliant last year, had an unbelievable leap on him and we have struggled in the midfield area since he left.

We need to look at other potential midfielders to come into the panel maybe Darragh Bohannon might rejoin the panel or David Lernihan of Kilmihil could progress to senior level.

Sheedy would be a good option. Sweeney make decent wing forward Would Oisin Looney be option in the middle? Lads like Conor Cleary, Cathal Malone and David Fitzgerald would add physicality to midfield/forwards but are committed to hurling. Footballers like hurlers are behind even likes of Tipp in terms of strength and conditioning . Collins has done a remarkable job considering no underage success at minor/u21 level and smaller budget compared to hurling counterparts. If new manager is appointed like Collins needs to get all top players from county on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Some knee-jerk stuff here imo. Clare were poor today no doubt but it was always a bit of a coin toss against Tipp. Hope Collins stays on. Staying in Division 2, no mean feat, was more important than getting hammered in a Munster final, that no one can even attend.

Good chance for Clare to get a win under their belts and a bit of momentum against Laois. Rather have the game than a bye tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Treble double

dohboy wrote: »
    Some knee-jerk stuff here imo. Clare were poor today no doubt but it was always a bit of a coin toss against Tipp. Hope Collins stays on. Staying in Division 2, no mean feat, was more important than getting hammered in a Munster final, that no one can even attend.

The manner of the performance is the problem, you are right it's always a coin toss against Tipp, we should have been gunning for them, but we seemed to sleepwalk into the game. No intensity, didn't seem to be much of a game plan, players didn't look to be ready/up for the battle.
    Not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

dohboy wrote: »
    Good chance for Clare to get a win under their belts and a bit of momentum against Laois. Rather have the game than a bye tbh.

Do you think Clare will beat Laois?

cnoc wrote: »
    Do you think Clare will beat Laois?

I'd imagine so, but it's not a guarantee by any means. Laois will fancy themselves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

paddypower have laois at 9/1

I thought those odds long for that Clare team. I didn't see the Dublin game but my auld lad said Laois were good

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Saturday 1.15 in Nolan Park, better not take them for granted like we did Tipp in the football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭fire_man

I doubt the footballers were taking Tipp for granted with our record against them over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Clareman wrote: »
    Saturday 1.15 in Nolan Park, better not take them for granted like we did Tipp in the football

to be fair their was a folly of an arguement that we could win munster being on the oppisite side of the draw from cork and kerry

while we have had no bother against cork the last few years we only beat waterford by 1 point in ennis last year
    limerick by 1 point un ennis in 2017
    tipperarey by 1 point in thurles last year in a relegation game in division 2

its not that we are or were ever millles better then them i just think people got ahead of themselves

we would have been the first to argue when we were in division 3 or 4 that the division 2 teams were never that far ahead , not surprised with the loss to tipperary more dissapointed with the poor performance on the day

as for the hurlers , they will beat laois , but laois are no mugs in fairness lost a few from last year which was evidant in the latter stages against dublin but battled well and will do the same sunday

fact is limerick and galway are so far ahead of the pack at the moment every team looks light in their companey , we might find out a bit more about ourselves this week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sure if there's no hope in winning the competition why bother entering it? Might as have been relegated to division 3 so we wouldn't have to worry about Sam Maguire next year, yes people were getting ahead of themselves wanting to believe that we were good enough to get to a Munster Final and once you are in a final there is a chance, now there's no chance. At the start of the second half on Sunday we were down 2-7 to 5 points, we were never really in the game and going into injury time we were down 2-11 to 9 points, that's a trouncing, yes we finished well and brought it back to a goal but the nature of the performance is the most disheartening.

For the hurlers, the best case scenario this year was always going to be a good run in the qualifiers, we beat Laois by over double scores in the league and we shouldn't be in any danger here, the bookies have us at 1/20 favourites and we should be looking into a good performance here to look to build for Wexford/Tipp in the next round. For me we need to have a puck out strategy worked out and look to score some goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Treble double

Sure if there's no hope in winning the competition why bother entering it? Might as have been relegated to division 3 so we wouldn't have to worry about Sam Maguire next year, yes people were getting ahead of themselves wanting to believe that we were good enough to get to a Munster Final and once you are in a final there is a chance, now there's no chance. At the start of the second half on Sunday we were down 2-7 to 5 points, we were never really in the game and going into injury time we were down 2-11 to 9 points, that's a trouncing, yes we finished well and brought it back to a goal but the nature of the performance is the most disheartening.

For the hurlers, the best case scenario this year was always going to be a good run in the qualifiers, we beat Laois by over double scores in the league and we shouldn't be in any danger here, the bookies have us at 1/20 favourites and we should be looking into a good performance here to look to build for Wexford/Tipp in the next round. For me we need to have a puck out strategy worked out and look to score some goals.

You are right about the football it was a hammering, the final scoreline makes a mockery of the actual story of the game.
    And what's worse Tipperary didn't even play that well, the have two good forwards and other than that are fairly average. Clare were awful.
    I would give Limerick a right chance of beating Tipp the next day. Limerick are building, won Division 4, seem to be getting their act together, they remind me of Clare in Collin's first year or two

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Clare could draw Tipperary or Wexford or the winners of Dublin/Cork. Thats if they get over Queens County

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

I'm quite sure the drawing for the next round [round 2] is going as follows

winner of Clare/Laois versus either Tipp or Wexford and in the same way winners of Cork/Dublin versus Tipp or Wexford

in other words the 2 winners of round 1 cannot directly meet each other

supernova5 wrote: »
    I'm quite sure the drawing for the next round [round 2] is going as follows

winner of Clare/Laois versus either Tipp or Wexford and in the same way winners of Cork/Dublin versus Tipp or Wexford

in other words the 2 winners of round 1 cannot directly meet each other

No its an open draw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

It’s clear from both the two best teams in the country that your half back line is now and probably has always been the most important line in hurling.

Just look at limerick and Galway. Have all the attributes needed. Physical, ability to catch a high ball, ability to pick a pass and break a tackle and able to take a score.

The half back line plays a huge part in a puck out strategy and then is also the base to start your attack with the delivery of ball into the forwards.

This is a line which is a major issue for us along with the half forward line. We need to settle on a half back line or start to develop one for next season. I believe we have and can have the inside forward line to get the scores required but we can’t create the space inside and our delivery to the line is awful.

Let’s hope for a convincing win against Laois and then get Wexford and knock that ******** out of the championship and a job.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    No its an open draw

Sorry but I'm almost 100% positive that they'll only get Wexford or Tipp, the 2 teams who got a bye can't get each other as the teams who have played the first round can't play each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Sorry but I'm almost 100% positive that they'll only get Wexford or Tipp, the 2 teams who got a bye can't get each other as the teams who have played the first round can't play each other.

According to the page below, it's an open draw subject to avoidance of repeat pairings, so it looks like the two teams who got a bye can play each other.
    RD2 DRAW

2 Bye Teams plus 2 Rd 1 winners in a bowl

2 fixtures drawn – subject to avoidance of repeat pairings where possible

Taken from the bottom of the page below.

https://www.gaa.ie/news/plans-for-2020-inter-county-competitions-unveiled/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    According to the page below, it's an open draw subject to avoidance of repeat pairings, so it looks like the two teams who got a bye can play each other.

Taken from the bottom of the page below.

https://www.gaa.ie/news/plans-for-2020-inter-county-competitions-unveiled/

This article from yesterday confirms it.

If Dublin and Laois both win, it means that Wexford and Tipperary can't play each other, because Dublin and Laois have already played each other.

However in all other scenarios Wexford and Tipp can play each other.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1103/1175677-tipperary-could-yet-draw-wexford-in-hurling-qualifiers/

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

not a particularly strong team if you ask me. However Brian is kind of making a step forward and showing some of the players that they won't start if they don't preform, however the players he decided to remove were David Fitzgerald and Diarmuid Ryan? I don't like the thought of Aidan McCarthy at centre back and I don't know how Stephen O' will do at wing back. The other positions I would be questioning are Paul Flanagan at corner back, because I don't know alot about him and Cathal Malone at wing forward, however I'd imagine both are decent enough there if played right.
    We should still win though. Brian is now playing the knockout championship, he can't be experimenting.

For anyone who hasn't seen it here's the team
    https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1324653359073267715?s=20

Nice to see Clare GAA have invested in fancy graphics.........

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

For anyone who hasn't seen it here's the team
    https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1324653359073267715?s=20

Nice to see Clare GAA have invested in fancy graphics.........

bit odd to see considering if you look here, there's a few comments on the team with info and the graphics are good enough. what the **** am I even looking at in the tweet you linked?
    https://twitter.com/ClubClareHS/status/1324487126159921152

Feenie wrote: »
    bit odd to see considering if you look here, there's a few comments on the team with info and the graphics are good enough. what the **** am I even looking at in the tweet you linked?
    https://twitter.com/ClubClareHS/status/1324487126159921152

That's not the Clare GAA twitter page though

Feenie wrote: »
    not a particularly strong team if you ask me. However Brian is kind of making a step forward and showing some of the players that they won't start if they don't preform, however the players he decided to remove were David Fitzgerald and Diarmuid Ryan? I don't like the thought of Aidan McCarthy at centre back and I don't know how Stephen O' will do at wing back. The other positions I would be questioning are Paul Flanagan at corner back, because I don't know alot about him and Cathal Malone at wing forward, however I'd imagine both are decent enough there if played right.
    We should still win though. Brian is now playing the knockout championship, he can't be experimenting.

Ah he should experiment as much as possible. This team certainly isn't going to frighten anyone. Its got weaklinks in every line. How is David Reidy starting? Id give Laois a 35% chance ..1 in 3 chance of winning.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Ah he should experiment as much as possible. This team certainly isn't going to frighten anyone. Its got weaklinks in every line. How is David Reidy starting? Id give Laois a 35% chance ..1 in 3 chance of winning.

There's 3 results possible tomorrow, Clare win, draw or Laois win, by saying you give Laois a 35% chance you're almost making them favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Not exactly, you are implying that a draw is as likely as an outright winner, a draw in any given GAA match is 10-11% give or take.

35% is equal to 2/1, it is not possible to be 2/1 and be favorite in a GAA match.

Laois are 9/1 which is a 10% of winning which seems about right.

Is a draw even possible tomorrow. I thought the match had to be finished on the day no matter what. So a draw - goes to extra time - goes to penalties (or am I wrong ?)

If the above is true (big IF) then the game finishes as a draw in normal and/or extra time but is eventually decided by penalties do the bookies pay out on the draw or on the eventual winner by penalties ? (Not a betting man myself)

• Advertisement

There's 3 results possible tomorrow, Clare win, draw or Laois win, by saying you give Laois a 35% chance you're almost making them favourites

Its basically a 1 in 3 chance. Im not sure where you might consider 35% "almost making them favourites'.

Advertisement