Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Clareman wrote: »
    For anyone who hasn't seen it here's the team
    https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1324653359073267715?s=20

Nice to see Clare GAA have invested in fancy graphics.........

I think its good that Lohan is holding player account and not afraid to make changes.

Surprised he dropped Diarmuid Ryan nonetheless, we are still quite light in the forwards. Although I think Malone will play wing forward and Kelly moves back to midfield (despite Kelly playing so well against Limerick I think with Laois' sweeper, it might be best play him at midfield). Would have preferred if you want to take Ryan out of the forwards, he should be tried in the half back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

BloodyBill wrote: »
    We really should be avoiding bookies odds. Its creeping into all sporting conversations. Ireland has a terrible issue with addiction .....

I know it's a bit off topic but I agree 100%. It really sickens my sheet to hear Paddy Power all over the sports reports.

To me, it's the very same as having someone from Guinness on the radio every Monday morning in the middle of the sports news talking about how many pints they drank after the match the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

letowski wrote: »
    I think its good that Lohan is holding player account and not afraid to make changes.

Surprised he dropped Diarmuid Ryan nonetheless, we are still quite light in the forwards. Although I think Malone will play wing forward and Kelly moves back to midfield (despite Kelly playing so well against Limerick I think with Laois' sweeper, it might be best play him at midfield). Would have preferred if you want to take Ryan out of the forwards, he should be tried in the half back line.

Ryan sadly has to stay in the forwards due to the loss of Peter Duggan. 2021 could not come sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Really average Clare team to take on Laois today. So many weak links all over the field.

Don’t even know where to start really. No comparison between our team and any of the top 4 when it comes to the physical stakes.

Aidan McCarthy at 6!! Compare him to Hannon, Maher or McInerney for Galway. Our half forward line is bang average too. They two critical lines in the current hurling climate and ours are very poor.

I’d still have Ryan and Browne playing from the last day anyway.

Really average Clare team to take on Laois today. So many weak links all over the field.

Don’t even know where to start really. No comparison between our team and any of the top 4 when it comes to the physical stakes.

Aidan McCarthy at 6!! Compare him to Hannon, Maher or McInerney for Galway. Our half forward line is bang average too. They two critical lines in the current hurling climate and ours are very poor.

I’d still have Ryan and Browne playing from the last day anyway.

yeah it's a bit sad. We had the players before but the managers failed us. Now we have the manager and the players we really need are gone. Painful season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Its basically a 1 in 3 chance. Im not sure where you might consider 35% "almost making them favourites'.

By giving them 35% of the chance you are leaving 65% for the other 2 results which is 32.5% each, as there is rarely the full 100% given out on a book that's why I'm saying you're almost making them favourites. I'd recommend that you stay away from the bet exchanges

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

BnB wrote: »
    I know it's a bit off topic but I agree 100%. It really sickens my sheet to hear Paddy Power all over the sports reports.

To me, it's the very same as having someone from Guinness on the radio every Monday morning in the middle of the sports news talking about how many pints they drank after the match the day before.

Bookies put a lot of analysis into every book that they open so by quoting their odds you are quoting someone who has done a lot of research into the topic

Feenie wrote: »
    yeah it's a bit sad. We had the players before but the managers failed us. Now we have the manager and the players we really need are gone. Painful season.

We have a bunch of players who should be hitting their prime at 28,the players are there it's up to the manager to get it out of them, in 3/4 years we won't have the players unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'd say its been the players responsibility all along, 1 bad year you could blame management but bar 2018 ye made little inroads in the last 6 or 7 years.

We have a bunch of players who should be hitting their prime at 28,the players are there it's up to the manager to get it out of them, in 3/4 years we won't have the players unfortunately

Well, we played well for 2 years under Gerry O'Connor and Donal Moloney, especially in 18, and in 19 the squad (take david reidy) was the same but the management completely failed us on that one and it was one of the worst season I've ever seen for any county team. No work ethic, just a complete failure when they tried to rejig the system

• Advertisement

Well, we played well for 2 years under Gerry O'Connor and Donal Moloney, especially in 18, and in 19 the squad (take david reidy) was the same but the management completely failed us on that one and it was one of the worst season I've ever seen for any county team. No work ethic, just a complete failure when they tried to rejig the system

Last year was 1 of the worst years by Clare hurlers ever, having management suspended for fighting with players showed that those lads were at the end of their tether. I think Davy stayed on for 2 years too many. I don't think Lohan is the right man for this group of players but hopefully I'll be proven wrong because in a few years we'll have nothing.

Last year was 1 of the worst years by Clare hurlers ever, having management suspended for fighting with players showed that those lads were at the end of their tether. I think Davy stayed on for 2 years too many. I don't think Lohan is the right man for this group of players but hopefully I'll be proven wrong because in a few years we'll have nothing.

if Lohan isn't the right man then who is?

if Lohan isn't the right man then who is?

Someone with successful club management experience, someone with intercounty management experience, someone with intercounty backroom team experience, someone with recent hurling success. I'd love to see like Eddie Brennan or Henry Shefflin be in charge of Clare

\poor stuff so far at the water break. Clare level 0-6 to 1-3. Shocking goal to concede just allowing the Laois wing forward solo in like that. Touch is well off too.

Laois are playing the better hurling here at the moment

That's better since the water break, up by 3 points

David McInerney sent off

ARA REFF WHAT ARE YE AT

Not sure what the red was for.

0-16 to 1-6. Better from Clare in Q2. Still will need to use the ball smartly now and work hard with the man down.

Malone, Kelly, Cleary and some good moments from Taylor and Shanagher are playing the best I think. Flanagan doing better as sweeper as the game goes on.

Clare will be disappointed not to have scored two goals in that half. Had two 1v1 chances with the keeper that was saved. Although for the first one, I thought Taylor clearly had his hand pulled back as he was trying to shoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

very poor affair, plenty of social distancing in evidence in Nowlan park

of all the thing Clare didn't need was to lose another player going forward, a horror show

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

ARA REFF WHAT ARE YE AT

Didn't see it but not altogether surprising. Hes loose with his hurley at times. Often gotten away with it. Today it looks like he didn't.

just a general overview, 1-15

1-Hitting good puckouts. Not much else. Sloppy goal
    2-Doing very well winning high balls, bursting out. Good stuff.
    3-Brilliant overall, winning good ball, showing aggression, pushing anyone in his way aside
    4-Very good playing sweeper, mopping up any balls that come
    5-Very good aswell, very alert and ontop winning ball
    6-Not as bad as I would have thought, winning good enough ball but not involved enough
    7-also very good, got the opening point, good use of the ball and brilliant running
    8-got two good points and was getting on alot of ball, had too many hail mary shots though. Red card hugely detrimental.
    9-Very, Very good as I would have expected, alot of good points. Laois are using all their firepower to stop them so clare have open options
    10-Also brilliant, hasn't scored but is always back helping out, winning ball and setting other players up
    11-A bit disappointing, needs to try and score, but is making good enough movements
    12-quiet enough until he got a good point.
    13-Good aswell, running and work ethic is creating huge issues for Laois. Needs to score though
    14- Also very good, high balls are being snatched over and over. Creating more issues for the full back line which is lucky to have not conceded 2 goals.
    15-Good aswell just need to try and take his shots alittle more.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Need some more scores from the forwards I think. A lot going through Kelly again. Should win it even being a man down though. Laois were poor in the last 15-20 minutes.

Clare's touch is atrocious.

0-23 to 2-11, Laois were well on top at the start of the half but we settled well

To be honest, a tough battle with 14 men isn't such a bad workout for Clare, so long as they get through it.

Aron Shanagher for example is growing into the game as the main point of our attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Jesus H Kerrist Ger Canning is some dose of scuttler

1 point win, 1 fecking point

• Advertisement

God, I'm so happy that game is over.

Advertisement