Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

lucky to hold on in the end, if Laois had used the ball more wisely it would have been bye bye Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Too close at the end there. another couple of minutes and we were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Were going to be down our captain too for the next match, either against Wexford or Tipperary.

Hard to see this team going far.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Too close at the end there. another couple of minutes and we were gone.

Would have been better to bow out today. Some mess of a performance. Where to start rebuilding after that shambles. McCarthy centre back,the great white hope turns out to not be the answer ..some atrocious deliveries and turning into unnecessary contact time and time again.
    The much maligned Malone was good..Shanagher was good overall. Kelly was good in patches...Morey nit bad. Everybody else wouldn't look out of place playing a Junior A match In Tulla.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Anybody have any idea what McInerney did ?

Similar to the Limerick game, we completely fell apart in the last 10 mins, lost all shape.

Don’t think anyone will give us much chance in the next game v Tipp or Wexford .

Whenever Laois ran at us, it created chaos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Similar to the Limerick game, we completely fell apart in the last 10 mins, lost all shape.

Don’t think anyone will give us much chance in the next game v Tipp or Wexford .

ye can draw cork or Dublin too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Of the ball strike, I think the Laois fella gave him a tap and he turned around and belted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Clareman wrote: »
    Of the ball strike, I think the Laois fella gave him a tap and he turned around and belted him.

Pure stupidity so

Just on a side note, it's worth noting that Cathal Malone, often a much criticized player for Clare, has emerge these past two years as an important player for us. He was our best player today, outside of Kelly and scored 2 points at the start of the second half to settle us down after Laois goaled. He is now one of the first players on the team sheet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

to be honest the only player I would have singled out for a bad performance was David Reidy, but it's due to the poor lads size profile. He shouldn't start the next day and shouldn't have started today either.
    overall match performances won't count if we lose all shape in the last ten like we did today. Brian needs to work on this teams fitness and time the introduction of his subs better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

letowski wrote: »
    Just on a side note, it's worth noting that Cathal Malone, often a much criticized player for Clare, has emerge these past two years as an important player for us. He was our best player today, outside of Kelly and scored 2 points at the start of the second half to settle us down after Laois goaled. He is now one of the first players on the team sheet now.

Malone is an honest player and gives it all. The only issue with hims is that it very often depends on who he is marking.Against better hurlers he fades, but that is no disrespect to him.

Feenie wrote: »
    to be honest the only player I would have singled out for a bad performance was David Reidy, but it's due to the poor lads size profile. He shouldn't start the next day and shouldn't have started today either.
    overall match performances won't count if we lose all shape in the last ten like we did today. Brian needs to work on this teams fitness and time the introduction of his subs better.

Ya, I would wonder if Riedy was to come on, given the time of year, in games and inject pace. He's a class hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sands81

Were going to be down our captain too for the next match, either against Wexford or Tipperary.

Hard to see this team going far.

We could get Cork too but like yourself I don't see Clare causing too much difficulty to whoever they meet.

Sands81 wrote: »
    We could get Cork too but like yourself I don't see Clare causing too much difficulty to whoever they meet.

I'd fancy Clare to beat Cork, hopefully Brian can learn from today and we'd have a good go at Wexford and Tipp. Wouldn't be impossible us to beat them.
    this forum can be far too negative at times

some positives from this is that in the very least, clare are starting to show character. I mean against Limerick at the end of the first half we put it up to them and shot down a 3 point lead. Against Wexford while playing them in their own ground we fought against their come back and never let go, and similarly we held off Laois today. On the sideline today Brian didn't seem to speak that much, Tony was really leading the team with his words, like Lohan himself did in 97'. and players would usually sit pretty on the starting 15 are being thought that if they don't preform they don't start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

We are by far the worst team left in the championship, every team would like to get us in the next round.

Today's performance, 3 shocking goals to let in, Laois missed some poor frees, our tackling was poor but 5 of the 6 starting forwards scored which is an improvement from the Limerick game. I still can't figure out why we didn't bring on more subs earlier, bringing on a sub with 2 minutes to go is very late and again we only brought on 4 subs.

We are by far the worst team left in the championship, every team would like to get us in the next round.

Today's performance, 3 shocking goals to let in, Laois missed some poor frees, our tackling was poor but 5 of the 6 starting forwards scored which is an improvement from the Limerick game. I still can't figure out why we didn't bring on more subs earlier, bringing on a sub with 2 minutes to go is very late and again we only brought on 4 subs.

yeah our forwards are quite good. Against cork that could do damage. Our back could contain them aswell. I actually think they played well enough defensively, it's just when the ball came into the full back like you could tell they had no clue what to do. But when it came to one on one not close to goal the backs were well ontop.

Seadna has his moments, but he is just not an intercounty center back in any shape or form. Laois were just running down our center at will all evening. We badly need a strong physical presence there.

Seadna has his moments, but he is just not an intercounty center back in any shape or form. Laois were just running down our center at will all evening. We badly need a strong physical presence there.

Paidí Fitz?

Paidí Fitz?

I don't know who would be the best option to be honest.

• Advertisement

Diarmuid ryan could be one but he's needed in the forwards right now.

The best option is playing full back...

What's the story with Pat O'Connor?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Laois goal brought back for what should have been a penalty but given as a free. Disgraceful decision. Thought Clare were patchy today, but then again so were Laois. An entertaining game over all with a close finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭golfball37

Tipperary are the only team in the draw we can’t beat at the moment. Not saying we will beat Cork or Wexford but I would give us every chance. If we draw Waterford after that then again we have a chance. Today was a lot more comfortable than the score line suggests, we won and we go on with a lot of things to work on, particularly teams who run at us- we need to deal with this better.

Figerty wrote: »
    The best option is playing full back...

What's the story with Pat O'Connor?

I think Cleary has been solid at full back, but your point is well taken, when he was at center back, we certainly weren't as open. Thing is we would need to find a full back then. I think Pat O'Connor just isn't up to it anymore. But his only position, if he is to start, is at center back where his lack of pace wouldn't be as exposed.

But nonetheless I have genuinely no idea who we should play at 6.

Were going to be in a desperate position from 8-12 in the next game too without David McInerney. Our resources are already stretched razor thin. I think we will need to bring back in Ryan and Fitzgerald. I also think while Reidy is a good lad who works is socks off, I think he has struggled in the last two games to assert himself. His size just doesn't work for him in modern hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Youre loyalty is admirable. Maybe you are right they all played as well as they can.Its their talent and ability that let's them down so and we can't do a whole lot about that.

I didn't think it really worked for Shane O'Donnell at center forward either. I'd still have him inside with Shanagher. I would though be open to the possibility of Ryan Taylor playing at midfield though, which is his usual position for the club. Taylor's workrate is top class and he generally uses the ball well. I think he might be the best person to fill in for David McInerney next week.

I didn't think it really worked for Shane O'Donnell at center forward either. I'd still have him inside with Shanagher. I would though be open to the possibility of Ryan Taylor playing at midfield though, which is his usual position for the club. Taylor's workrate is top class and he generally uses the ball well. I think he might be the best person to fill in for David McInerney next week.

Lets give Lohan credit for doing differnt things.
    Who ever they play next will be second guessing the team layout. That gives about 10 minutes of figuring out at the start of the match. Of course the oppostion will be doing the same thing.

Loosing McInerney is a huge hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Figerty wrote: »
    Lets give Lohan credit for doing differnt things.
    Who ever they play next will be second guessing the team layout. That gives about 10 minutes of figuring out at the start of the match. Of course the oppostion will be doing the same thing.

Loosing McInerney is a huge hole.

You were probably the only one on here to acknowledge just how good Laois were in Ennis in a very cold February day in the league

I taught their discipline was excellent as was their attitude they are a decent side i don't care what anyone says and brennan has some job done,

Look Loughnane always said strike while the iron is hot counties like limerick, clare and Galway need to do so more then tipp Cork and kilkenny due to their tradition

We didn't strike again when we had the chance, Galway or limerick will strike this year and even exchange titles, with all the players we've lost we are 3 to 5 years away at the moment

• Advertisement

You were probably the only one on here to acknowledge just how good Laois were in Ennis in a very cold February day in the league

I taught their discipline was excellent as was their attitude they are a decent side i don't care what anyone says and brennan has some job done,

Look Loughnane always said strike while the iron is hot counties like limerick, clare and Galway need to do so more then tipp Cork and kilkenny due to their tradition

We didn't strike again when we had the chance, Galway or limerick will strike this year and even exchange titles, with all the players we've lost we are 3 to 5 years away at the moment

Brennan has done great work. He may be what Kilkenny needs as there dominance is starting to fade a little. Someone to get more out of the talent they have when Cody finishes. However, this current Laois team was formed 10 years ago when a concerted effort was made there to not only grow the talent but instill in them that they were the future of Laois hurling as 14 years of age.

For Clare, this could turn around in a few months if you had Duggan Conlon, Galvin, Shanhan and some new talent. For now, this group needs to just go for it on the next match. I would love to be able to go to the matches now as this Clare team needs that support now.

Advertisement