Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

golfball37 wrote: »
    Tipperary are the only team in the draw we can’t beat at the moment. Not saying we will beat Cork or Wexford but I would give us every chance. If we draw Waterford after that then again we have a chance. Today was a lot more comfortable than the score line suggests, we won and we go on with a lot of things to work on, particularly teams who run at us- we need to deal with this better.

No it wasnt comfortable at all. We beat a poor team by a point. We are a poor team. Theres some one eyed optimism on here that is far,far away from the reality of just how bad we are. We have a lack of talent and ability. That is a 'holed below the waterline' type problem.
    Waterford are a much more talented squad than we are. They've way more skillfully hurlers and a serious gameplan. Im not criticising Lohan. Hes just got a huge task.
    People saying Ryan Taylor and David Reidy are class acts. Taylor is a good workhorse of a club hurler..hes not intercounty. David Reidy..the pocket dynamo. Hes a tidy small hurler who barely impacts on any game he plays.. Hes not the messi of Clare. And definitely we need a centre back. Not Cleary, hes been played there and roasted there in the past. Its rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. And no sign of Mark Rogers. He must be terrible in training...Diarmuid Ryan is probably the most disappointing part of the whole equation. Tearing it up at the start of his career and now a point a game man...its confidence I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

golfball37 wrote: »
    Tipperary are the only team in the draw we can’t beat at the moment. Not saying we will beat Cork or Wexford but I would give us every chance. If we draw Waterford after that then again we have a chance. Today was a lot more comfortable than the score line suggests, we won and we go on with a lot of things to work on, particularly teams who run at us- we need to deal with this better.

Clare's record against Cork over the past 15 years is beyond embarrassing [apart from the All Ireland Final reply 2013]
    they couldn't even beat them in the 2018 Munster final after building up an 8 point lead and had the 6 players on the field that they now don't have - McInerney, Ian and Colm Galvin, Shanahan, Duggan and Conlon

Clare have regressed now quite a lot since, barring one of the biggest transformations akin to the Phoenix rising from the ashes Clare will not beat Cork or any of the other two teams if the meet in round 2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd agree that yesterday was not comfortable and I would say that if the match went on for another 5 minutes that we would have been beaten but we're into the next round and at the end of the day it's a results based business so onto the next game.

For me the worrying things is that we have problems everywhere, Quilligan is only starting out but he's not instilling confidence in either his puck outs or his general play. The full back line shipped 3 goals against Laois and none against Limerick, against Limerick we protected the full back line and allowed them take shots from far whereas yesterday we didn't, this is a massive concern, Cleary is ok at full back but the fact that they don't have any protection from the half back line stems problems. The half back line, oooooh, the half back line, 7 competitive games into his tenure as manager an Lohan still doesn't have a center back, used to be that you'd get your center back and everything else would go from there now we're still looking

Midfield, Galvin was a big loss, McInerney will be a loss the next day, chances are the next day we'll have a new pairing in the middle, I'd be guessing we'll play a 3 man midfield to try to protect the half backs, I'd guess it'll be Reidy, Taylor and Kelly. Half forwards, we don't have any by the looks of things, fair enough Conlon and Duggan are huge losses but we've known they'd be missing for a long time now, Reidy hasn't performed this year. Full forward line, I don't know what they are doing to be honest, I thought yesterdays full forward line would bang in a load of goals but there just isn't any sparkle there at all.

On the side line, I can't make out either our tactics or style of play, a post said that we'll keep the opposition guessing, I've an awful feeling we'll be keeping ourselves guessing as well. In every sport the use of substitutes is being hailed as a major impact on a game but we've only brought on 3 subs before 60 minutes in the 2 matches and didn't use the full quota in either game.

In the next round none of the other teams will fear us, I'm hoping we don't get Wexford but that's just so we don't have to listen to the whole Davy vs. Lohan thing building up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Cork in munster final, a great chance for clare to have won munster this year if they had believed in themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This could have been Clare's year, shows how annoying that performance was. Fair play to Cork but Clare wouldn't have been frightened of them at all in the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭fire_man

Yes an opportunity lost for Clare this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

yea but isin't that the history of Clare Gaa, opportunities lost...

supernova5 wrote: »
    yea but isin't that the history of Clare Gaa, opportunities lost...

I wouldn't even say lost, completely ignored might be a better description, 2 Munster titles in football and 6 in hurling the history of the GAA says it all really

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Clareman wrote: »
    I wouldn't even say lost, completely ignored might be a better description, 2 Munster titles in football and 6 in hurling the history of the GAA says it all really

When you consider how many munster finals we've contested I wouldn't describe it as "ignored". Clare was always a traditional county in fairness.
    Next year could be our year hurling wise. I'm looking forward to it. I don't think Clare will have it for a long time in the football, it's just about putting the building blocks there.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭KIB4Life

Feenie wrote: »
    When you consider how many munster finals we've contested I wouldn't describe it as "ignored". Clare was always a traditional county in fairness.
    Next year could be our year hurling wise. I'm looking forward to it. I don't think Clare will have it for a long time in the football, it's just about putting the building blocks there.

How have we always been a traditional county, apart from the 90’s in hurling and football when we were the top team in hurling for a few years and a Division 1 team in Football for a lot of the 90’s our record has been appalling at inter county level.

• Advertisement

KIB4Life wrote: »
    How have we always been a traditional county, apart from the 90’s in hurling and football when we were the top team in hurling for a few years and a Division 1 team in Football for a lot of the 90’s our record has been appalling at inter county level.

We always had good teams they just didn't win titles. We had a great team in the 70s aswell and before that.
    After the 90s we weren't the worst until the late 00s which was when things got really bad. We've recovered to relevance since 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Next year will not be our year hurling wise. Unless there's about 8 top class players hiding under a Bush somewhere. We are far ,far away from a good team.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Next year will not be our year hurling wise. Unless there's about 8 top class players hiding under a Bush somewhere. We are far ,far away from a good team.

Factor back in Deasy, Ian Galvin, Duggan, Conlon, Collins and Colm Galvin and it's a bit of a different story. Not to mention some of the minor talent like the Meehans and the Galvins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

For me the worrying things is that we have problems everywhere, Quilligan is only starting out but he's not instilling confidence in either his puck outs or his general play. The full back line shipped 3 goals against Laois and none against Limerick, against Limerick we protected the full back line and allowed them take shots from far whereas yesterday we didn't, this is a massive concern, Cleary is ok at full back but the fact that they don't have any protection from the half back line stems problems. The half back line, oooooh, the half back line, 7 competitive games into his tenure as manager an Lohan still doesn't have a center back, used to be that you'd get your center back and everything else would go from there now we're still looking

Agreed Clareman. We have issues all over the place but the half back is nothing better than a turnstile at this stage. I didn't think the full back line played all that bad, the goals came from Laois players running straight past our half back line. It's a huge weaklink in the team right now, especially no 6, but unfortunately we don't have the players.

The days of Doyle, Seanie and Daly are long gone. :(

OK deluded might be more like it. Yes we've an ok team for a couple of years every decade but we struggle badly in between, historically we would have done a lot better with a backdoor/qualifier system and probably would have won a few All Irelands but we didn't. We also aren't a "traditional" county, 4 All Irelands and 8 provincial titles in total at senior, 4 under 21 & 1 minor at underage is not a traditional county. Yes Flannan's have a great history, the Comp, CBS and Tulla have their own history at school level as well.

We need to start from the bottom, we've had some brilliant teams down through the years mainly thanks to ground work which has been done from under 10 up, we need a proper county board, a proper academy, a proper setup but unfortunately that's not going to happen, we're broke, not a pot to piss in because of fraud/mistakes.

This year we all thought that the best we could hope for was a Munster final in football and a decent run in the qualifiers, now we're still in qualifiers so we need to make the most of it, there are 8 teams left in the championship we just have to try to get to the next round and go from there, in 2013 we didn't think we were going anywhere after "struggling" to beat Laois, we beat Wexford after extra time and then got on a bit of a run, you never know..............

Factor back in Deasy, Ian Galvin, Duggan, Conlon, Collins and Colm Galvin and it's a bit of a different story. Not to mention some of the minor talent like the Meehans and the Galvins

Deasy and Ian Galvin has been tried and hasn't worked out, Collins has stepped away and Duggan was only really on the team for a couple of season, Conlon and Colm Galvin are starters but they are nearly 30 now.

There's a gap of about 10 years between the players now and what are coming through and I fear this great minor team aren't as great as they were being made out to be either.

I'm all for blind faith but the future is bleak unfortunately

letowski wrote: »
    Agreed Clareman. We have issues all over the place but the half back is nothing better than a turnstile at this stage. I didn't think the full back line played all that bad, the goals came from Laois players running straight past our half back line. It's a huge weaklink in the team right now, especially no 6, but unfortunately we don't have the players.

The days of Doyle, Seanie and Daly are long gone. :(

Seanie was roasted in the 94 final, Doyle was a junior hurler in 93 and Daly was a converted corner back, it took them all time to find their way at senior, I'm not saying we throw someone to the wolves and let them get destroyed in a championship match but at this stage we're just trying people rather than having a plan. Browne was probably the best center back in the championship this year, surely he has to get a chance now?

5 to 12 is probably the weakest part of our team now and that's a massive part of the team.

I'm actually dreading the highlights when they come on......

I had a quick look at the past Munster finals and can see the amount of Munster finals we've "contested", we're as traditional as Waterford as joint 4th
    Cork 83
    Tipperary 70
    Limerick 47
    Clare 29
    Waterford 29
    Kerry 6

I had a quick look at the past Munster finals and can see the amount of Munster finals we've "contested", we're as traditional as Waterford as joint 4th
    Cork 83
    Tipperary 70
    Limerick 47
    Clare 29
    Waterford 29
    Kerry 6

I used https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munster_Senior_Hurling_Championship as the source for the stats

• Advertisement

Just noticed that those stats don't include this years final so assuming the match goes ahead we'll have contested the fifth highest amount of Munster finals. We're not a traditional county, we do not have natural hurlers, we do not have a history of winning, yes we've had some great teams and for the past quarter of a century we've done well and I wouldn't swop a single All Ireland for any number of Munster/League titles.

In the past 25 years Kilkenny have won 11 titles, Tipp 4, Clare & Cork 3 and 1 each for Limerick, Galway, Wexford and Offaly, so we are doing well in the modern day but those 2 from 95 and 97 will be dropping off and it doesn't look like there's anymore to come I think the reason I'm most annoyed is that we saw in 2018 what we could do so I think we've wasted this group of players and nailing my colours to the mast I think we wasted the players by not going outside of the county for management.

Stamp on the ankle might have been what McInerney was done for, dirty thing to do in fairness

No stamp there, must have been something off the ball

All the counties will be hoping to get Clare, says it all really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

No stamp there, must have been something off the ball

Are we any the wiser after that? The panel seemed to think it was what they showed but surely there must have been more to it.

They did say that they only had 1 camera but watching it live with Clare FM on for commentary (I can't do Ger Canning) I thought it was for a belt after the ball was away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

They did say that they only had 1 camera but watching it live with Clare FM on for commentary (I can't do Ger Canning) I thought it was for a belt after the ball was away.

Well if the "belt" they were talking about is what they showed tonight when McInerney shoved the hurley into yer man's back, then surely he has a very good shot in an appeal. Unless it was something that happened after that again

BnB wrote: »
    Well if the "belt" they were talking about is what they showed tonight when McInerney shoved the hurley into yer man's back, then surely he has a very good shot in an appeal. Unless it was something that happened after that again

Thing about appeals is that you have to prove that you are innocent so it all depends on what the ref said he was told by the linesman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭fire_man

After watching the highlights. When has SOD scored last?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Clare looked pretty good in attack on the highlights. Defensively alright there looks a lot of space which good teams would exploit which has been their problem for a number of years.

Advertisement