Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Duggan a match winner on his own??? I don't know if I'd go that far, he was turning into a fine hurler and a reliable free taker, but you couldn't count on him to miss a couple of scorable frees every match. The fact that we're missing a half forward line and midfield coupled with our attempt to move out centre to full back means we're in complete disarray

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Not on TV so seemingly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

finbarrk wrote: »
    Not on TV so seemingly.

Nope, on GAA Go, the Dublin footballers played in Portlaoise last weekend so you'd hope they'd have more than 1 camera there next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Despite us not having a strong team, if Wexford can't improve much on their outing against Galway, we have a chance of beating them.

If there is an aspect of Clare that has been a positive, is that we have scored 26 points in both of our two games. That will be enough to beat Wexford on Saturday. With that being said, everytime the Bridge played Ballyea, Davy always just puts a man-marker on Kelly, even if he is midfield, you know that this will be the case again. Clare will need others to step up.

I think Shanagher and O'Donnell can be effective as the front men, even if they are out numbered, because primarily they are very good at winning/collecting the ball being hit into them. If we can get the likes of Kelly, Taylor, Reidy, etc running off them we can put up a decent score.

At the back, I think Browne might be the best guy to play center back as he is a stopper if anything (he will foul before he lets someone through which would at least be an improvement).

I'm surprised David Fitz isn't featuring at all now. He played very well at center forward against Wexford at the start of the year, I think he scored 0-3, we need lads on Sunday that have athleticism and can run.

I'd still give us a decent chance on Saturday, despite of everything.

In the last 20 minutes of the game against Limerick we scored 4 points, I'm not sure about against Laois but it wasn't that many and Laois finished far the stronger, against Limerick we can blame that on the win and against Laois we were down to 14 but our game management and conditioning is a big worry for me at the moment.

• Advertisement

I think on Saturday Lohan will be best going with a more physical line up with what the conditions are likely going to be. There is expected to be a good bit of rain forecasted early in the day and Portlaoise has a bit of a reputation for having one of the more 'softer' turfs in the country. It's not a particular big or open venue either.

A wet ball probably won't suit Wexford's short game. It's quite similar to the game we played against them earlier in the year. Clare were good that day at turning over Wexford possession and pressuring them into mistakes. I remember Kelly getting a beautiful flick in robbing a Wexford player and throwing it over the bar. I think thats a template to work off at least. I think for us, I imagine Shanagher will be our focal point in attack, and try and get lads running off him.

letowski wrote: »
    I think on Saturday Lohan will be best going with a more physical line up with what the conditions are likely going to be. There is expected to be a good bit of rain forecasted early in the day and Portlaoise has a bit of a reputation for having one of the more 'softer' turfs in the country. It's not a particular big or open venue either.

A wet ball probably won't suit Wexford's short game. It's quite similar to the game we played against them earlier in the year. Clare were good that day at turning over Wexford possession and pressuring them into mistakes. I remember Kelly getting a beautiful flick in robbing a Wexford player and throwing it over the bar. I think thats a template to work off at least. I think for us, I imagine Shanagher will be our focal point in attack, and try and get lads running off him.

Bit late to be going for the physical approach, we don't have big physical players. I can see this match being played with Clare bringing their half backs back to protect the full back line, a 3 man mid-field broughts into our 65 and our full forward line on their 21 all while Wexford play the sweeper and just look to run the ball out. A game of backs and forwards while we hope that our forwards can break up the play or Kelly can score from distance while running on it.

I'm not surprised this game isn't on TV by way, with the way the teams line up and the conditions it could be terrible, goals will win this 1 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Fitzgerald definitely showed flashes there of being a really effective half forward. A bit like Hegarty in Limerick - Strong direct running straight at the opposition goal as well as popping up around half forward to take a pass and put over an easy enough score.

Really classy steal from Kelly at the end

Clareman wrote: »
    Bit late to be going for the physical approach, we don't have big physical players. I can see this match being played with Clare bringing their half backs back to protect the full back line, a 3 man mid-field broughts into our 65 and our full forward line on their 21 all while Wexford play the sweeper and just look to run the ball out. A game of backs and forwards while we hope that our forwards can break up the play or Kelly can score from distance while running on it.

I'm not surprised this game isn't on TV by way, with the way the teams line up and the conditions it could be terrible, goals will win this 1 I'd say.

I get that we don't have many physical players, but we should be utilising what we have. I'm think with regards to selection along the lines of Browne over Morey at half back, Fitz or Reidy at half forward, bringing back Diarmuid Ryan into the starting 15 etc. Morey and Reidy have struggled to assert themselves this winter, its the hard ground that suit them.

• Advertisement

I'd play this team on Saturday:

Quilligan
    Hayes - Cleary - Flanagan (back sweeper again)
    McCarthy - Browne - SOH
    Taylor - David Mc (if cleared, otherwise Golden)
    Malone - Fitz - Ryan
    Kelly
    SOD - Shanagher

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Quilligan
    McCarthy - Browne - SOH
    Malone - Fitz - Ryan
    Kelly
    SOD - Shanagher

Can't see Morey not starting after he played well last weekend. Definitely would be better on the wing

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Quilligan
    McCarthy - Browne - SOH
    Malone - Fitz - Ryan
    Kelly
    SOD - Shanagher

good team, but I'd prefer Seadna Morey playing corner back and sweeping up ball instead of Flanagan, although he's also solid in his role. I'd just prefer Morey for his speed, running and agility. Although moving him back might remove his options to pop a few points over

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Quilligan
    McCarthy - Browne - SOH
    Malone - Fitz - Ryan
    Kelly
    SOD - Shanagher

Any news on Dav Mc appeal?? Or when is that likely to be announced.

Any news on Dav Mc appeal?? Or when is that likely to be announced.

I haven't heard but I would imagine it will be tomorrow as they will be announcing the teams.

will the new Wexford game be streamed anywhere? I'm not 5 quid just to watch it, when the service is already bad enough

Can't see there being a big audience to have someone restream it, the way I look at it I'd be paying a lot more to go to it so even if it's poor quality I'm saving really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Well that’s a disaster anyway. Do we ever get any red cards overturned?

Can we the supporters ever get any explanation as to why he was given a red?? It was never seen on tv and Kavanagh wasn’t down injured or anything.

Can’t see us having much of a chance now on Saturday.

It'd be in the ref's report which both teams will have access to, its not normal for them to be released but sometimes they are. Unless the ref admits a mistake or there's clear mistake caught on TV you won't get them overturned, there used to be loopholes depending on the wording that could get overturned by the CCCC closed all those loopholes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

There's a good number of new and top level inexperienced referees appearing in this year's championship,
    the standard of officiating overall has been a complete shambles,
    look at A. Gleeson's blatant indiscretion against Cork and he gets off scott - free, last Saturday S. Kingston was zipping through the Dublin defence, a Dublin defender lunges at him and completely throttles him in a way that an Irish Rugby forward would be very proud. not only was defender Smith not booked/penalised but the ref actually gave a Dublin free out

the reality is some of these referees and linesmen should be let nowhere near a top level inter county match
    year in year out we are talking about this but nothing ever changes

They have to bring in a black card/sinbin for hurling, the amount of cynical fouling, especially out the field to stop a goal chance developing, is a blight on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

supernova5 wrote: »
    There's a good number of new and top level inexperienced referees appearing in this year's championship,
    look at A. Gleeson's blatant indiscretion against Cork and he gets off scott - free, last Saturday S. Kingston was zipping through the Dublin defence, a Dublin defender lunges at him and completely throttles him in a way that an Irish Rugby forward would be very proud. not only was defender Smith not booked/penalised but the ref actually gave a Dublin free out

the reality is some of these referees and linesmen should be let nowhere near a top level inter county match

So what are you or any of us going to do about it? Solutions not problems..Genuine question. They all volunteer and I presume they do they best they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clareman wrote: »
    They have to bring in a black card/sinbin for hurling, the amount of cynical fouling, especially out the field to stop a goal chance developing, is a blight on the game.

The definition of Aggressive fouls needs to change.
    Dragging a player down with no intention of a tackling, hitting off the ball, throwiing a hurley away, mouthing off, are all within the range of this, but it's time for a straight red for deliberate pull down.

How many of us will roar 'Ah ref' when one of these are pulled on Saturday.. Or are we like Micheal Duignan.. only see what suits ourselves..

RULE 5 - AGGRESSIVE FOULS
    Category I Infractions
    Definition of a Category I Infraction - Being ordered off on foot of a second Cautionable Infraction.

Category I – Related Infractions
    5.1 To pull down an opponent.
    5.2 To trip an opponent with hand(s), arm, leg, foot, or hurley.
    5.3 To threaten or to use abusive or provocative language or gestures to an opponent.
    5.4 To engage in any form of rough play.
    5.5 To make “a pull” with the hurley from behind and around the body of an opponent that is not consistent with an attempt to play the ball.
    5.6 To use the hurley in a careless manner.
    5.7 To throw the hurley in a manner which constitutes
    a danger to another player(s).
    PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS –
    (i) Caution offender; order off for second cautionable foul.
    (ii) Free puck from where foul occurred except as provided under Exceptions of
    Rule 2.2.

supernova5 wrote: »

I'd recommend volunteering at your local club to be a ref and then go through all the training that is involved, maybe do a few juvenile games and then come back and make a judgement. These refs have given up as much time as a lot of players and are human, they can make mistakes but they don't go out to make them, do not underestimate the amount of things a ref has to keep an eye on all at the same time, stuff like "how many steps has he taken?", "how many times has he caught the ball?", "what's the cornerback doing over there?", these refs are doing this in real time while standing beside the players, not up in the stand with a birdseye view or with the aid of replays.

And if you think our refs are bad, how about soccer refs who have the use of VAR, or rugby refs who have a slower game with a video ref, or American Football who have dozens of refs and video, etc. etc., every sport thinks their officals are the worst but you know something? They are humans

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Void Ceremony

Have to agree, stop moaning about it, ref obv saw something to issue a red card. Refs are the bravest people on the pitch i reckon and none go out ot have a bad game. Did the Gosling manage to get an apartment in Portlaoise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Was there a team announced yet ?

Was there a team announced yet ?

haven't found one anywhere, wondering where it is considering the match is on tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Not very confident of a win. Have to have Wexford as favourites. Take the huge influence of Conlon, Galvin, Duggan and Mcinerney out of any other team and they will struggle.

Hope we just have the mood for a battle and work our socks off. No doubt Davy will have Wexford wound up after their last display. Hope he comes up with some daft plan to beat us and it’s just too overly complicated.

Advertisement