Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

great performance from Clare. Don't think I've ever shouted louder than when Tony hammered home that goal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

You’d wonder why Guilfoyle was taken off, with Shanagher already missing.
    Thought he was doing ok

Wexford starting to get a grip on things

Was booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

letowski wrote: »
    SOD has played very well

much better out the field , mighty win huge respectability put on the season if nothing else , great win

kelly is sensational to be fair at the moment probably the best hurler in the country , but davy's one deminitional tactics caught him out again , wexford very rigid on the ball playing to a strict system , were still playing it around their own half back line in the last 10 minutes with a gale at their backs and in desprete need of scores

at leat lohan has tried his bes to find possitions to complement the players at his disposal which is why i argue against fitz so much he is far too one dimensional as a coach at times today was a perfect example

still need to tighten up at the back , the full back line was never really tested , plus lee chinn missed a sitter shortly after introduced , quilligan had an excellent day and made two great saves , jason mccarthy ,cathal malone and rory hayes were excellent also but its a pity not to be there to see some of them kelly scores live some performance

much better out the field , mighty win huge respectability put on the season if nothing else , great win

kelly is sensational to be fair at the moment probably the best hurler in the country , but davy's one deminitional tactics caught him out again , wexford very rigid on the ball playing to a strict system , were still playing it around their own half back line in the last 10 minutes with a gale at their backs and in desprete need of scores

at leat lohan has tried his bes to find possitions to complement the players at his disposal which is why i argue against fitz so much he is far too one dimensional as a coach at times today was a perfect example

still need to tighten up at the back , the full back line was never really tested , plus lee chinn missed a sitter shortly after introduced , quilligan had an excellent day and made two great saves , jason mccarthy ,cathal malone and rory hayes were excellent also but its a pity not to be there to see some of them kelly scores live some performance

Lohan defended the space and learned from galway. Clare didn't get sucked into following the man out.. Kelly was the difference, Chin was a massive loss, but I still think Clare would have coped.
    David Fitz needs to cool the head and play the game when he doens't have the ball.
    Hope Shannaher isn't too bad.. we just need to get a bit better each day.

What now for Davy Fitz.. Lohan going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

That was a serious effort from Clare in the second half. Worked their socks off. That's also a credit to Lohan too who had his preparation and tactics spot on.

I thought the rear guard did very well today, Cleary, Seadna and especially Hayes. SOD was very influential in the second half, he won and turned over a rake of possession. Some very good running from Ryan and David Fitz got us scores and frees too when we needed it. Malone again was very effective and worked hard, as did Taylor.

Overall, we're obviously down alot of players, but all you can really ask for is effort and commitment. I cannot fault them on that.

That fella wearing number 9 was handy enough too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Great game. Great to see a much improved performance from the last day and our defence was relatively solid. Tony Kelly inspiration as ever.

Do people reckon if he was man marked for the quarters then we would have the fire power to hit over the points? Cathal Malone, Shanager, Taylor could up their game in that department I think.

the only issue I see with today's performance is the scorers. I wanted to see the likes of Taylor, Malone and so on put up more scores. Poor Taylor was inches away but he's only a young lad and he'll learn from that. I've met him a few times and he's a great lad too.
    Malone was brilliant but you would want 2 or 3 more points out of him. Still he made up for that in terms of his influence on the game. Same with SOD. Brilliant but it would be huge if he started converting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm still buzzing after that performance by Tony Kelly, he was just unmarkable as the commentator said, just give him the All Star now. Another plus for me was our ability to adjust to the conditions, before the first water break we were playing with 2 forwards and we were struggling to get any scores but when we went with a more standard setup we were flying, 22 scores mightn't win that many games but in those conditions that was a good performance, saying that, Wexford were a poor shell of themselves, they missed a number of scorable frees that would have made things a lot more uncomfortable. A special call out for Quilligan in goals, he had a couple of great saves and his puck outs were solid.

Negatives today would be the low number of scorers, only Kelly and McCarty scored more than once. Again we didn't use all 5 subs, and our fourth sub was brought on well into injury time at the end, a number of players were out on their feet with 10 minutes to go, I can't understand the fear of using our bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Gael85 wrote: »

gracious as ever :rolleyes: , maybe he should consider changing his tactics from time to time first before pointing fingers at anyone else ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Gael85 wrote: »

Says he was put in the stand to deliberately abuse him!! :D

Delighted. Whinge bag is all he is. I’m sure another stupid county will hire him and blow their accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Sorry but there should be no place for abuse from the stands. Gaa should investigate the matter and if what davy is saying is true then the person should be punished.

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm still buzzing after that performance by Tony Kelly, he was just unmarkable as the commentator said, just give him the All Star now. Another plus for me was our ability to adjust to the conditions, before the first water break we were playing with 2 forwards and we were struggling to get any scores but when we went with a more standard setup we were flying, 22 scores mightn't win that many games but in those conditions that was a good performance, saying that, Wexford were a poor shell of themselves, they missed a number of scorable frees that would have made things a lot more uncomfortable. A special call out for Quilligan in goals, he had a couple of great saves and his puck outs were solid.

Negatives today would be the low number of scorers, only Kelly and McCarty scored more than once. Again we didn't use all 5 subs, and our fourth sub was brought on well into injury time at the end, a number of players were out on their feet with 10 minutes to go, I can't understand the fear of using our bench.

as we talked about after the limerick game being down so many players since our last championship run in 2018 would be huge for any team to cope with even limerick and tipperary would struggle

thats what makes today such an excellent win , but kelly is in the form of his life at the moment personally i dond want anyone else shooting then him at the moment any man that can put the ball over the bar from the corner flag while being double marked and his back to goal will do for me for now

cork were hughly competitive with only 2 or 3 primary scorers per game as were galway even kilkenny to an extent with tj and hogan , if we can get the best out of the rest with kelly in this form we will be hard to beat by most teams standards

the picture is looking better then after the limerick game but we are a long way off their standard at the moment

re subs , i think one or two struggled after coming on paudi fitz never got going for example the other 2 were only on for a few minutes , paudi fitz is another marmite hurler in terms of oppinions but he is much better then what we saw after he came on tonight

the sunday game will probably have a field day tomorow night with all the off the ball stuff , most of it harmless but the panel will probably highlight a number of soft red cards that could have been

Hearing Shanagher did his hamstring. He has no luck with injuries.

I thought Guilfoyle hasn't really made much of an impression in his two starts, although I think Lohan likes having an aerial presence in there. Nonetheless, I'd like to see Cunningham or Cathal McInerney given a shot the next day at full forward.

Sorry but there should be no place for abuse from the stands. Gaa should investigate the matter and if what davy is saying is true then the person should be punished.

i am not going to argue with this infairness , but there is an elephent in the room at the same time

its very hard to go against a man that has done so much for us but he should be called out on tactics if he isnt going to change them when they are no longer working but yes never abused , no room what so ever

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Would you stop. Classic deflection from Fitz. If he wants accountability for abusing people the 1st place he needs to look is the mirror.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Davy is Davy, his tactics will get teams so far but after 3 seasons with a team its time for him to move on, the fact that he makes everything about him and his father after a game shows his mentality

Davy is Davy, his tactics will get teams so far but after 3 seasons with a team its time for him to move on, the fact that he makes everything about him and his father after a game shows his mentality

Lohan and Shane O'Neill both pull his game plan apart. Once you get ahead of a Sweeper team, they find it hard to get back in front. Yes, they can defend a lead or try to keep the score line down.

Abuse from the Sideline is out of order, expecially this year. I don't know who it was but you would be fairly stupid not to realise you could be recorded. I hope Lohan hasn't sunk to that level of organising it if it did happen. Davy did something similar to a clare player from the sideline in the league three years ago in Wexford. Ref should have been informed and action taken.

Was it only the Bridge lads that went up to Davy at the end of the match?

Davy has been well able to give the verbals so it should be left there, I've heard what was said and who said it and I'd be very very very surprised if Davy would want the recording made public, lets just say there was questions raised about what happened to money down through the years.

Anyway, moving on from Davy, how well is Kelly playing at the moment? He's unmarkable and everything he does is gold at the moment, we're down to the last 6 in Ireland now so anything from here is a bonus really, there's no point in fooling ourselves that we're All Ireland challengers and whoever looses tomorrow will much prefer to get us rather than Tipp but we're starting to move now

• Advertisement

Anyway, moving on from Davy, how well is Kelly playing at the moment? He's unmarkable and everything he does is gold at the moment, we're down to the last 6 in Ireland now so anything from here is a bonus really, there's no point in fooling ourselves that we're All Ireland challengers and whoever looses tomorrow will much prefer to get us rather than Tipp but we're starting to move now

Well the great thing about being in the last 6 is that on the other side two of the three get knocked out!

So it's case of only playing what is in front of you. The team clare plays a team that will have been beaten this weekend..That's not a bad position to be in when things are improving. A extra day recovery and a victory under the belt.

It's a quick turn around for the beaten Munster finalists, the extra day will be huge, again we will be the team that the other teams will want to get but we're in with a chance. I didn't give us much hope today, after 10 minutes of the game I didn't have any hope but after that performance you'd hope that we'd give whoever we get a game of it, having McInerney to come back in is a massive boost.

It's a quick turn around for the beaten Munster finalists, the extra day will be huge, again we will be the team that the other teams will want to get but we're in with a chance. I didn't give us much hope today, after 10 minutes of the game I didn't have any hope but after that performance you'd hope that we'd give whoever we get a game of it, having McInerney to come back in is a massive boost.

I agree. One thing for me though watching the games is that this is really league hurling and the conditions are a leveller. I was watching the Tipp match there and Sheedy was taking John McGrath off before half time, something you wouldn’t think of doing during the summer months.

My point is, a team can be very hard to beat in heavy conditions if they set up tight at the back, hold their discipline and convert their frees. We might not have as many free scoring forwards like Tipp or Limerick but you only need really 2 or 3 on the day to do the brunt of the scoring to get over the line in winter. And the way Kelly is going, he is nearly worth two scoring forwards. The rest of the team need to win their ball and work hard. The likes of Jason McCarthy, David Fitz and Cathal Malone were very good today for us doing that.

I don’t think we can beat Limerick but I think we can give the other teams a decent game as underdogs (so long as Kelly keeps firing). But in that way we are vulnerable as even an average day for Kelly means we’re in deep trouble such is our reliance. Shanagher probably out for the rest of the year is a bit of a disaster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

If and it's a big if, Kelly can continue his outrageous form, it wouldn't take much from the other Clare forwards to make us a match for anyone on a once off game which they all are at this point.

You would have to imagine however, that no team in these last 3 games will let Kelly do the kind of damage he has been doing to date.

The starting point for any team playing Clare for the next 3 games is shut down Kelly and ask Clare the question, what have ye got.

Clearly a player of his ability is not easy to mark but the ease at which he has went about his business in the games to date has been laughable.

All in all, a lot of what Clare do depends on how well curtailed or otherwise he is.

You would expect a big game in SOD.
    Taylor would be far far far more effective out the field, another Kelly type player who carrys the ball really well, although his striking is nowhere near as good.
    Cunningham, let's wait and see but 3 or 4 years ago, we all thought he was going to be a long term mainstay in the team.
    Injury and travel has curtailed this, but he has something to offer.
    Other than that, I'm not sure what out and out forwards we have.
    Fitzgerald could be useful as a forward/target man. He has a presence but needs to take the ball on the move to be effective as he is slow off the mark.

I think our backs are decent in the sense we have options, but not so much up front.

Bonus territory for sure from here on, and who knows what could happen in a game of hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Some of the players we select in the forward line just aren’t natural forwards.
    Shooting isn’t their first instinct, prefer to lay the ball off. Lucky we have Kelly I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

If lim beat Waterford then 2 paths, correct?
    Clare v Waterford then kilkenny.
    Clare v galway then limerick.

Clare v galway then Limerick reminds me of something.

I think if both Tipp and Clare win their quarter finals there can be a draw for the semi finals as both teams would have played Limerick, not 100% on that though. Provincial finals can't be repeated in the semi finals though so if either the provincial finalists win then it's a clear path of quarter final against losing finalist and semi final against winner of other final.

So Waterford or Galway, both will want to get us and strangely we won't fear either, you'd prefer to get Waterford as they look wrecked at the end of the game and they have 1 day less to recover

• Advertisement

So Waterford or Galway, both will want to get us and strangely we won't fear either, you'd prefer to get Waterford as they look wrecked at the end of the game and they have 1 day less to recover

this run reminds me of the daly era where we ofton left thurles in a tailspin wondering if we would ever see a good day again, only to run the top two teams in the country to the edge of the earth later in the year , i would take it espically while we are in a transition mode

Advertisement