Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

this run reminds me of the daly era where we ofton left thurles in a tailspin wondering if we would ever see a good day again, only to run the top two teams in the country to the edge of the earth later in the year , i would take it espically while we are in a transition mode

The day Markham put on an exhibition of sweeper play, probably invented the role in modern hurling and Gilly ran the KK backs ragged, they had to foul him every time he got the ball and 6 of them could have been sent off, is still 1 of the best performances by a Clare team, the whole Quinn/Shefflin thing the next day meant it the first day is always forgotten :(

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Treble double

this run reminds me of the daly era where we ofton left thurles in a tailspin wondering if we would ever see a good day again, only to run the top two teams in the country to the edge of the earth later in the year , i would take it espically while we are in a transition mode

Delighted for Lohan, he is in bonus territory now, don't want to put a dampner on things but Wexford looked piss poor.
    Shefflin didn't mince his words on the Sunday game, saying they looked overtrained and overcoached and had a dig at the boloxology their manager goes on about having numerous game plans, saying they look devoid of ideas.
    Whoever is next is going to be a massive step up in quality, but it's great to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Clareman wrote: »
    The day Markham put on an exhibition of sweeper play, probably invented the role in modern hurling and Gilly ran the KK backs ragged, they had to foul him every time he got the ball and 6 of them could have been sent off, is still 1 of the best performances by a Clare team, the whole Quinn/Shefflin thing the next day meant it the first day is always forgotten :(

Dalo picked up that sweeper tactic from his Shannon Gaels days 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

Gael85 wrote: »

Problem was he tried the same tactic in the replay and KK were well ready..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

he actually started his hurling coaching career in kilmihil with a serious undrer age set up that would go on to have a huge say in the 2016 all ireland club championship

however you are right the gaels were never up to no good anyway and feed him nothing but negitivies accross the counter down in murtys i blame the tullycryine men also ;):pac:

• Advertisement

Delighted for Lohan, he is in bonus territory now, don't want to put a dampner on things but Wexford looked piss poor.
    Shefflin didn't mince his words on the Sunday game, saying they looked overtrained and overcoached and had a dig at the boloxology their manager goes on about having numerous game plans, saying they look devoid of ideas.
    Whoever is next is going to be a massive step up in quality, but it's great to be there.

Shefflin was on the ball. Referenced Conor McDonald up front on his own. That was Shane O'Donnell or Conor McGrath for years under Fitzgerald.

Shefflin was on the ball. Referenced Conor McDonald up front on his own. That was Shane O'Donnell or Conor McGrath for years under Fitzgerald.

Almost right.. our most lethally tallented forward Conor McGrath was out around midfield...

At least Davy is consistent.. and predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

If I remember correctly, Forde was sweeper the second day.
    And I think Shefflin had to take a point from a penalty in the drawn game to force a replay.

Also,
    Would love to see Dalo back in some capacity but we all know that won't happen and the reasons why.

He's a man that you would run through a wall for.
    It's a shame a real leader like that is not involved.

The Clare teams of the 90s have a lot of lads with a lot to offer.
    And in a few years time the players coming through may not know what legends they are and their impact could be diminished.
    Now is the time to get them involved and driving us on.
    Figerty wrote: »
    Problem was he tried the same tactic in the replay and KK were well ready..

Almost right.. our most lethally tallented forward Conor McGrath was out around midfield...

At least Davy is consistent.. and predictable.

far far too predictable , to be fair he is a good coach other then that , if he went in to cork i the morning he would win somtheing with them within 2 years , but usally gets found out afterwards , then starts blaming everone else

was very surprised to hear a clare fm jurno get attacked by a wexford manager for the reporters views on caherlohan yesterday too , kind of sums up his stupidity

As time moves on and his antics continue, he will become less and less attractive to other counties.

Waterford, Clare, Wexford...
    Where to next?

None of the big 3 would have an external manager I guess.

Limerick, no, Galway, not at the moment.

That leaves Offaly, Dublin, Westmeath, Antrim, laois, kerry.... Not sure if any of those would be appealing for him.

Dublin possibly the only ones who would fork out the big "expenses" bill he would be after.

He could be about to begin a little holiday for a while.
    RTE/sky would probably pull him in, in some capacity tho.

He won't starve.

• Advertisement

djr15 wrote: »
    As time moves on and his antics continue, he will become less and less attractive to other counties.

Where to next?

That leaves Offaly, Dublin, Westmeath, Antrim, laois, kerry.... Not sure if any of those would be appealing for him.

Dublin possibly the only ones who would fork out the big "expenses" bill he would be after.

He won't starve.

believe it or believe it not but he is wanted in cork , how the mighty have falling:rolleyes:

Where to next?

He won't starve.

Tyrone Football? Same tactics and the same results... perfect

Tyrone Football? Same tactics and the same results... perfect

and nearly 400 miles away from home, .....when can he start ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

far far too predictable , to be fair he is a good coach other then that , if he went in to cork i the morning he would win somtheing with them within 2 years , but usally gets found out afterwards , then starts blaming everone else

was very surprised to hear a clare fm jurno get attacked by a wexford manager for the reporters views on caherlohan yesterday too , kind of sums up his stupidity
    Was it not a clare champion reporter!!? Jesus bit low doing that, any idea of what was said!!?

Niallers87 wrote: »
    Was it not a clare champion reporter!!? Jesus bit low doing that, any idea of what was said!!?

Sorry yes Derrick lynch is working with the champion now, imagine Liam aherne getting attacked by Liam cahill tonight for some twitter comments, why dose Fitz get away with this bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TheHopeful

I really thought Wexford would have a plan to shut down Kelly. What a run he's on! Can't wait for the draw in the morning and already excited about next weekend. How 1 match can change things! The beauty of sport!

Was also delighted to see Kelly single out SOD for praise in his interview. A lot of people don't seem to appreciate how good he is.

“Next week I mightn’t hit a barn door. That’s just the way conditions are in winter hurling. Look it, sometimes the easier job is to put the ball over the bar. The hardest job is to win puckouts, breaks, and putting the shoulder to the wheel.

“I have to mention Shane O’Donnell, every single week he gets criticised for not scoring but my God, himself and Conor Whelan are probably the two best forwards in the country in terms of winning their own ball, work-rate, and setting up scores. The same with Cathal Malone, I couldn’t say enough about the work-rate of the forwards.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

TheHopeful wrote: »
    I really thought Wexford would have a plan to shut down Kelly. What a run he's on! Can't wait for the draw in the morning and already excited about next weekend. How 1 match can change things! The beauty of sport!

Was also delighted to see Kelly single out SOD for praise in his interview. A lot of people don't seem to appreciate how good he is.

“Next week I mightn’t hit a barn door. That’s just the way conditions are in winter hurling. Look it, sometimes the easier job is to put the ball over the bar. The hardest job is to win puckouts, breaks, and putting the shoulder to the wheel.

“I have to mention Shane O’Donnell, every single week he gets criticised for not scoring but my God, himself and Conor Whelan are probably the two best forwards in the country in terms of winning their own ball, work-rate, and setting up scores. The same with Cathal Malone, I couldn’t say enough about the work-rate of the forwards.”

One thing I've noticed about Tony is that while he is an outstanding hurler, he is a really down to earth guy too. Every paper this morning was probably raving about him in the sports pages but that won't bother him. As Lohan says, he will be the first into training tomorrow evening. He is a great role model for young kids in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

letowski wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed about Tony is that while he is an outstanding hurler, he is a really down to earth guy too. Every paper this morning was probably raving about him in the sports pages but that won't bother him. As Lohan says, he will be the first into training tomorrow evening. He is a great role model for young kids in the county.
    Brendan Bugler spoke glowingly about him recently on Brian Carroll's podcast in terms of his commitment to his club and with his work in st flannans regards coaching teams, prediced that he'll be an excellent coach when his playing days come to an end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So Waterford, both teams will be ok with that draw. As we have beaten them the last few years, we have 3 games under our belts to their 2 and they have a day less recovery I think this will be a good barometer to see where we are at.

I wouldn't say bonus territory at all, I would say that we are where we should be, we've been promoted from division 1B and have reached the quarter finals of the championship, that should be the lowest expectation in fairness, win next weekend and we are in bonus territory.

Also, we shouldn't be getting too far of ourselves just yet, yes the performance on Saturday was excellent but we've had 2 terrible performances before that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

What's this about Davy attacking a lad from the Clare Champion?

What's this about Davy attacking a lad from the Clare Champion?

He was giving out about Derrick Lynch posting stuff on Twitter, in fairness to Lynch he has been clear in his opinions for a long time and backs it up with facts, to be blunt it has nothing to do with Davy but that doesn't stop him putting in his 2 cents.

It's about time people stop giving him airtime.
    People are getting bored of his self-centred antics.

Sure, he has been successful as a player and manager for Clare that will never be forgotten, but some of his behaviour is inexcusable and any abuse he's getting has been brought on by himself.

Time now to draw a line in the sand and let everyone move on.

As regards the 1/4 final, Waterford is a good draw for Clare.
    But Waterford won’t fear us and will look to shut down TK given how the last 3 games have gone for us.
    Not easily done as we know - But can only be achieved by deploying a runner to sacrifice their game to try and keep him to 3 or 4 points from play - which would be a good result.

No matter what happens, for Clare to win, we need our other forwards contributing more on the score board as Waterford will score more than the 17-points Wexford managed.

This one-man show will only get you so far, and from here on in I can't see us winning without our forwards mustering 10-12 points between them at least.
    McInerney coming back in will be a boost for sure, and one would hope he will produce a big performance.

Would love to see SOD right on the edge of the square and play him going direct with most of his possessions.
    Laying off the ball is fine and it's great to have an asset like that, but he is lethal himself when he puts the head down.

I can't see how it's possible to mark TK to be honest, he starts the match at midfield so do you sacrifice a midfielder to mark thim? Then when he goes into the corner it can be 4 on 4 in there, then he goes centre forward so is the opposition to sacrifice their centre back to mark him? Because he's being given a free role teams have to figure out exactly how to mark him, against smaller, faster teams he can get between the lines very well and does extremely well, I worry though that when we go up against 6 big backs that play a more positional game that he'll struggle but we don't have to worry about that this week.

The lack of alternative scorers is worrying but considering that TK scored 3 points on Saturday that he shouldn't have attempted and should really have sought out the pass seems to suggest to me that the tactic is get the ball to TK and he can have a go.

Clareman wrote: »
    I can't see how it's possible to mark TK to be honest, he starts the match at midfield so do you sacrifice a midfielder to mark thim? Then when he goes into the corner it can be 4 on 4 in there, then he goes centre forward so is the opposition to sacrifice their centre back to mark him? Because he's being given a free role teams have to figure out exactly how to mark him, against smaller, faster teams he can get between the lines very well and does extremely well, I worry though that when we go up against 6 big backs that play a more positional game that he'll struggle but we don't have to worry about that this week.

The lack of alternative scorers is worrying but considering that TK scored 3 points on Saturday that he shouldn't have attempted and should really have sought out the pass seems to suggest to me that the tactic is get the ball to TK and he can have a go.

At this stage opposition teams will have to but a dedicated marker on him who justs sticks to him like glue and gives him a bit of treatment and id say that's what will happen the next day.
    Thing is though Kelly sees things quicker than everyone else and makes runs that get him onto breaking ball and at the end of passes that are near impossible to mark.
    Like Prunty did a great job on Gillane yesterday, but that is a standard job of a defender marking an inside forward, alot easier than marking a lad that ghosts all over the place and doesn't contest primary possession

Ya he is as good as impossible to mark because as you mentioned he is never stationary.

Personally all I think you can do is put a runner on him, someone quite clever, who won't get sucked into rucks and will hang outside and mark Kelly hip to hip.

Like all good players once they have the ball it's very difficult to stop them being effective in some form.
    Ideally you would stop him getting the ball in the first place and try and frustrate him, because he has been known to get narky from time to time.

One of the key things for me is, with all the attention on him, can one or two of our other forwards take advantage of the extra bit of space they may find themselves in.

As I have mentioned previously, I believe Taylor has similar carrying ability to TK and if both were given the license to travel from the middle third we could cause all sorts of problems for any defence.
    Taylor is lost in the corner simply because it's not his natural position but I wouldn't take him off the team given his mobility.

This in conjunction with SOD on the edge of the square and Fitzgerald at centre forward breaking things up.
    He got one lovely point the last day.
    Powered up the middle and scored off his left.
    That's the presence we need from him.

At this stage opposition teams will have to but a dedicated marker on him who justs sticks to him like glue and gives him a bit of treatment and id say that's what will happen the next day.
    Thing is though Kelly sees things quicker than everyone else and makes runs that get him onto breaking ball and at the end of passes that are near impossible to mark.
    Like Prunty did a great job on Gillane yesterday, but that is a standard job of a defender marking an inside forward, alot easier than marking a lad that ghosts all over the place and doesn't contest primary possession

The problem with being a dedicated marker is that you are reacting the whole time and you'll always be behind the person you're marking, also you'll be worn out so you'd need to have a few players tasked when 1 gets tired. The day of backs giving a bit of treatment is gone, if a player was to do that now they'll get the line. Kelly is totally different to Gillane, he's as likely to be on his full back line than he is on his full forward line.

Ya he is as good as impossible to mark because as you mentioned he is never stationary.

Personally all I think you can do is put a runner on him, someone quite clever, who won't get sucked into rucks and will hang outside and mark Kelly hip to hip.

Like all good players once they have the ball it's very difficult to stop them being effective in some form.
    Ideally you would stop him getting the ball in the first place and try and frustrate him, because he has been known to get narky from time to time.

One of the key things for me is, with all the attention on him, can one or two of our other forwards take advantage of the extra bit of space they may find themselves in.

As I have mentioned previously, I believe Taylor has similar carrying ability to TK and if both were given the license to travel from the middle third we could cause all sorts of problems for any defence.
    Taylor is lost in the corner simply because it's not his natural position but I wouldn't take him off the team given his mobility.

This in conjunction with SOD on the edge of the square and Fitzgerald at centre forward breaking things up.

I was very impressed with Waterford yesterday, full back line was very solid, De Burca was excellent in that centre back sweeper role.
    They have some very dangerous forwards and in Liam Cahill they look like they have a top class manager. Very collected in his comments after the match and said there is a lot more in them than they showed yesterday. It will be a massive step up from Wexford who look like they are in a bit of a tailspin.

SoD isn't a scorer, he hasn't scored this year and he's averaging less than 2 points a game in championship hurling since 2013 so I'm not sure what benefit of having him at the edge of the square would be, his role of a disrupter around centre forward seems to be working a bit of him but he's not going to win clean ball and he's not going to score, he'll harass defenders and get on a break like he did for the handpass for the goal on Saturday so if we are going to persist with him I think that's the role for him.

• Advertisement

he actually started his hurling coaching career in kilmihil with a serious undrer age set up that would go on to have a huge say in the 2016 all ireland club championship

however you are right the gaels were never up to no good anyway and feed him nothing but negitivies accross the counter down in murtys i blame the tullycryine men also ;):pac:

Did he get Shannon Gaels to a county semi or final? They nearly beat Kilkee one year. Would Kilmihill have any hurling now? I see Kilkee/Belacha were trying to get going again this year.

Advertisement