Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Feenie wrote: »
    It's Diarmuid Ryan if you ask me.

Agreed

Clareman wrote: »
    First thing that has to be done is they have to get fitter and stronger, they were out on their feet in every game and they never looked like breaking a tackle in any game, I'd say our S&C is miles behind every other county.

Look I know the limerick game was bad but you reep what you sow and basically.we planted nothing after the 2012-2014 team Lohan has done brilliant In 11 months to get the best out of shanagher , the two McCarthys Ryan Taylor Rory Hayes , diarmuid ryan , not to mention Stephen o holleran and cathal malone

Malone was chastised by most average Clare hurling people as a footballer on the hurling panel whe is so much more

O'Holleran is playing club hurling with the wors run club in the country and rarely mistakes
    Taylor,shanagher ,Ryan and the McCarthys all lived under the shadow of a tipp and limerick golden generation so how bad we have players coming through yet ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭letowski

Look I know the limerick game was bad but you reep what you sow and basically.we planted nothing after the 2012-2014 team Lohan has done brilliant In 11 months to get the best out of shanagher , the two McCarthys Ryan Taylor Rory Hayes , diarmuid ryan , not to mention Stephen o holleran and cathal malone

Malone was chastised by most average Clare hurling people as a footballer on the hurling panel whe is so much more

O'Holleran is playing club hurling with the wors run club in the country and rarely mistakes
    Taylor,shanagher ,Ryan and the McCarthys all lived under the shadow of a tipp and limerick golden generation so how bad we have players coming through yet ourselves

Malone's development into a quality intercounty player is a testament to the man himself and the work he has put in his game. Just looking at him hit 4 points from play, from way out the field, is an example of how much improvement he has made.

There is a genuine case he is the second guy penciled in on our second teamsheet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Be honest, the Limerick, Laois and Waterford games were bad, yes against Waterford we tried hard and had injuries, but a 9 point loss was a fair reflection on the 2 teams. We're at a stage now where we're hoping that 30 year olds come back from injury rather than having anyone coming through and that is a disaster for any intercounty setup, unfortunately I don't think there is going to be any players coming through in the next few years so it's going to be a barren couple of years.

Looking at what we can control, I think the players have to get stronger and fitter, we tailed off in every game and looked out on our feet. We need to find half backs and half forwards, easier said than done I know. Looking at this years Munster championship we are probably the worst team in it, it could be argued that we could put it up to Cork but it's hard to know. I'm afraid this team has the look of the Sparrow's team in the late 00s

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

Congratulations to the Tipperary and Cavan footballers yesterday. Bravery, heart, skill and above all pride in your place shone through.
    Straight knockout makes for great sport. To see what it meant to Colin O'Riordan a professional athlete was special.
    Clare Football people can really identify with Tipperary. It's an uphill battle in a hurling county and how sweet success is if it comes, memories of 92 came flooding back.
    I have to say though what an opportunity missed by the Clare footballers this year and management need to shoulder the blame. If Colm Collins stays on he needs to freshen up his backroom because the effort made at getting to a Munster Final this year was very weak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Void Ceremony

Time will tell, Waterford looked very sharp Saturday and may well put Kilkenny to the sword. The lads missing were always going to come against us, Duggan and Conlon worth 5 or 6 points from play every day. Colm Galvin's vision and ability to latch on to loose ball would have certainly been suited to the last day too.

I was most disappointed with the backs this year. Always seem to be a step behind their man. Fitness and strength neeeds to be looked at over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KIB4Life

Congratulations to the Tipperary and Cavan footballers yesterday. Bravery, heart, skill and above all pride in your place shone through.
    Straight knockout makes for great sport. To see what it meant to Colin O'Riordan a professional athlete was special.
    Clare Football people can really identify with Tipperary. It's an uphill battle in a hurling county and how sweet success is if it comes, memories of 92 came flooding back.
    I have to say though what an opportunity missed by the Clare footballers this year and management need to shoulder the blame. If Colm Collins stays on he needs to freshen up his backroom because the effort made at getting to a Munster Final this year was very weak

Yeah but we have just as much football clubs in the county as hurling clubs. There are plenty of football only clubs in the county to be competitive just one of the problems is that the population isn’t there in the football part of the county, definitely a bigger population in the hurling part of the county and also not much in the way of employment opportunities in West Clare compared to the East of the county. The top 3 or 4 clubs in Clare would probably put it up to and probably beat the top teams in both Cavan and Tipp so there is no reason why into the future why we can’t have success.

I think we might need a fresh voice in terms of management in the county Colm Collins has done great work with Clare but some of the his team selections left a lot to be desired playing his nephew from Mayo is an absolute insult to defenders in the county thinking of the likes of Ciaran Morrissey from my club done a great man marking job on Podge in the county final and even came up the field to get a point. He was part of the panel earlier in the year, but it wouldn’t entice lads to come onto the panel when nepotism is used when picking teams.

I would like to see someone like Mikie Neylon from Miltown take over the team he brought Miltown from nowhere to win 2 Championships. The man is a perfectionist and doesn’t go half hearted into anything. Would bring serious pace and work rate into the Clare panel like he brought with Miltown, guys like Martin McMahon who is part of the Clare ladies management would be a great man to have in a management team or the likes of David O’Brien from Miltown who was there before would be another great man to have in a management team. Even someone like Donie Garrihy who has done well with St Breckans and before that brought great success to the Clare soccer team would be another great man to have in a management team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Lads I think there is an over reaction by some here. I was reading after the Laois game lads talk about heading for the doldrums. Then after the Wexford game there was talk of all Ireland finals, now back to the abyss after Saturday.

The reality is it was always going to be a tough year with the absentees and plenty besides went wrong. I'd be encouraged if I was ye getting 3-18 and Tony Kelly scoring only 0-2 from play battling injury (some talent to get those two with his ankle killing him).

Conlon is the sort of fella who could hang on for a few years yet and have a big impact, similar to how Brick and Kevin Moran have done for us. Duggan and Galvin aren't that old at 27 if they do come back. Shanagher looks to be starting to fulfill potential if he stays fit.

Yer backs are a problem and have been for a good while, but if ye get all yer players back and bring the fight shown in the last two games and for a good portion of the Limerick game ye will be competitive going forward. It'll be tough for any team to win all irelands in the years to come so I'd park that talk, but I wouldn't be despairing just yet if I was ye.

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Yeah but we have just as much football clubs in the county as hurling clubs. There are plenty of football only clubs in the county to be competitive just one of the problems is that the population isn’t there in the football part of the county, definitely a bigger population in the hurling part of the county and also not much in the way of employment opportunities in West Clare compared to the East of the county. The top 3 or 4 clubs in Clare would probably put it up to and probably beat the top teams in both Cavan and Tipp so there is no reason why into the future why we can’t have success.

I think we might need a fresh voice in terms of management in the county Colm Collins has done great work with Clare but some of the his team selections left a lot to be desired playing his nephew from Mayo is an absolute insult to defenders in the county thinking of the likes of Ciaran Morrissey from my club done a great man marking job on Podge in the county final and even came up the field to get a point. He was part of the panel earlier in the year, but it wouldn’t entice lads to come onto the panel when nepotism is used when picking teams.

I would like to see someone like Mikie Neylon from Miltown take over the team he brought Miltown from nowhere to win 2 Championships. The man is a perfectionist and doesn’t go half hearted into anything. Would bring serious pace and work rate into the Clare panel like he brought with Miltown, guys like Martin McMahon who is part of the Clare ladies management would be a great man to have in a management team or the likes of David O’Brien from Miltown who was there before would be another great man to have in a management team. Even someone like Donie Garrihy who has done well with St Breckans and before that brought great success to the Clare soccer team would be another great man to have in a management team.

Collins deserves to stay if he wants it, he has more than earned that, he has brought us from a rabble to a consistent Div 2 team
    If he stays he needs a strong backroom that will challenge his selection decisions, I agree there were questionable selection decisions made in the first fifteen and panel that had an adverse effect on chances of success
    This was a brilliant chance to get the county to a Munster final and it was badly handled. Remember Clare defeated and relegated Tipperary last season, Clare beat Cavan in the leauge in Breffini this year and Cavan were relegated. Clare have beaten Cork the last two times they have played them. Very disappointing effort in the championship, but Collins has earned the right without question to stay but a shake up is required in his management team definitely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Lads I think there is an over reaction by some here. I was reading after the Laois game lads talk about heading for the doldrums. Then after the Wexford game there was talk of all Ireland finals, now back to the abyss after Saturday.

The reality is it was always going to be a tough year with the absentees and plenty besides went wrong. I'd be encouraged if I was ye getting 3-18 and Tony Kelly scoring only 0-2 from play battling injury (some talent to get those two with his ankle killing him).

Conlon is the sort of fella who could hang on for a few years yet and have a big impact, similar to how Brick and Kevin Moran have done for us. Duggan and Galvin aren't that old at 27 if they do come back. Shanagher looks to be starting to fulfill potential if he stays fit.

Yer backs are a problem and have been for a good while, but if ye get all yer players back and bring the fight shown in the last two games and for a good portion of the Limerick game ye will be competitive going forward. It'll be tough for any team to win all irelands in the years to come so I'd park that talk, but I wouldn't be despairing just yet if I was ye.

I don't think anyone was expecting us to win All Ireland's, after the Laois game were were after 2 terrible displays, there's no point in trying to sugar coat either game, we were abysmal and in honesty Laois probably deserved to beat us. The Wexford game however was a great performance, between the 2 waterbreaks was some of the best hurling we have produced in a number of years, but we fell flat again against Waterford.

I've said it before, I think we only have another year or so with this group of players, we're going to have more and more injuries, players retiring, opting out, etc. etc., it's all about keeping things together. I do believe that IF we get out best players fit and available, IF we get a bit of luck, IF we improve out strength and fitness that we will be All Ireland contenders but that's 3 big IFs and we're starting from a bad place unfortunately.

The league is only a few months away, we should use this as an opportunity to get our best players in every position, ok some of them mightn't be intercounty standard but we have to get our best players on the pitch. We also have to figure out our strategy, after 4 championship games I still don't know what style of hurling we're trying to play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Point was I saw talk of all Ireland finals which was getting way way ahead of where the team was at. That Wexford team was awful but in fairness ye hammered them.

We had a brilliant start on Saturday and for all that with 15 minutes left I was still nervous which is great testament to the fight in Clare. Wouldn't say they were poor at all. Plenty more needed if they want to be back competing strongly with everyone for sure, but there are reasons to be positive still I think.

Just reminds me a bit of ourselves last year when the harbingers of doom were out in force. It's inevitable that a few teams will be disappointed at years end. There's still plenty of hurling in Clare from what I can see.

Wexford were close to getting to an All Ireland final last year and were reigning Leinster champions so there has to be some pride in beating them by 7 points. Once TK went down everyone knew that that was the end of Clare, we don't have the depth, we might have been hanging on with 15 minutes to go but there was only going to be 1 winner from there, we were out on our feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KK36

Most counties are never as good or as bad as their fans think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

put it like this, a sliotar is a hard ball.
    In Hurling, the minute you lose or aren't exactly great on paper, your "overrated "or "in peril" or whatever journalists want to throw on.
    but if you win, or look good on paper, your a great team and an All-Ireland contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Feenie wrote: »
    put it like this, a sliotar is a hard ball.
    In Hurling, the minute you lose or aren't exactly great on paper, your "overrated "or "in peril" or whatever journalists want to throw on.
    but if you win, or look good on paper, your a great team and an All-Ireland contender.

Some of the GAA journalists are as amateur as the players they report on. I agree with all of the above-mentioned.

Right so, end of season review time I guess.

For the footballers the targets at the start of the year was to stay in division 2 and to get to a Munster final, COVID messed with everything but we retained division 2 status while recruiting a few more players. Losing to Tipperary was a disappointment and we should have beaten them but they won Munster so there's never a shame in losing to the champions. Overall I'd say this season was a missed opportunity and we might have gone back slightly in our progression.

For the hurlers, ensuring division 1 hurling was first on the agenda and anytime you come out of Kilkenny without been beaten is a good day. Come the championship it was always going to be hard for us to beat Limerick and Tipp to get to a Munster final but we had a very disappointing performance day 1 against Limerick. Laois we should have had well beaten but we didn't take our chances so we were lucky to hold out in the end. Wexford was a great performance for 30 minutes and we won well. Waterford, we were always chasing the game after letting in soft goals and we were always chasing the game. Overall I'd say this season was about average and is a reflection of where we are compared to other teams, the lack of new players coming through is a major worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Might aswell do one myself.
    Can't such much about football, don't follow it.

Overall I'm impressed with Clare. not hugely, they have some gaping holes but you know what we played good hurling, it was a good time watching every match we played. That's the main positive.
    Against Limerick we simply came up against a stronger team physically with more depth, but put it up to them in the first half and in my opinion we owned that half. The first 20 or so minutes of the first half was strong enough aswell, but Tony Kelly's 2 missed frees kind of signaled who was now in control. One big positive was our ability to gain possession. I have no statistics on it but I'd imagine Clare were fairly ontop for atleast the first 50 or so minutes. We don't have Galway or Limerick style players who can just knock about onto possession, and it shows Brian has coached them to having more smart, quick witted approach to winning possession.

In the laois game I thought we genuinely played well in the face of a dubious enough red card. However one thing can't be ignored, and it's a huge part of Clare's season, we simply did not mark tight enough. You saw it in almost every game, our backs just didn't stick. It became a huge issue when Laois and Waterford started running at our defence. We have good defenders who can win their one on ones, but simply can't *defend* in the modern sense.

Wexford was a brillaint performance. Not much else to say about it.

I want to look at the positives of the waterford game aswell. With Tony Kelly more or less out of the game, Clare put up 27 points. Not bad at all. It showed an ability to win more ball and score without him which is huge.

However I think Clare's biggest positive is the character they're beginning to show.
    Against Wexford in the league, away from home,a man down, playing against the breeze, wexford slowly coming back into it. Stayed going and powered through.
    Against Kilkenny, in the heart of their enemy, a few points down and managed to come back to draw level.
    Against Limerick and Waterford chasing the game a few points down but never went away and kept going at them
    Against Laois a man down and facing a stunning come back, stayed up and responded keeping their noises in front.
    I'd give the season a 6.5/10. Sure there was some huge let downs but I have more faith in Clare's players than previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭fire_man

Anyone see Clare Ladies game today.Well beaten 4 13 to 4 points.Who are the management?

Be honest, the Limerick, Laois and Waterford games were bad, yes against Waterford we tried hard and had injuries, but a 9 point loss was a fair reflection on the 2 teams. We're at a stage now where we're hoping that 30 year olds come back from injury rather than having anyone coming through and that is a disaster for any intercounty setup, unfortunately I don't think there is going to be any players coming through in the next few years so it's going to be a barren couple of years.

Looking at what we can control, I think the players have to get stronger and fitter, we tailed off in every game and looked out on our feet. We need to find half backs and half forwards, easier said than done I know. Looking at this years Munster championship we are probably the worst team in it, it could be argued that we could put it up to Cork but it's hard to know. I'm afraid this team has the look of the Sparrow's team in the late 00s

Waterford are in an all ireland final Limerick will probably join them, if Kelly was available we probably would have beaten Waterford

Waterford went through two sets of munster championships without winning a game, we lost one or two games and every one is talking through the doomsday device

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

"windy wrote:

Waterford went through two sets of munster championships without winning a game, we lost one or two games and every one is talking through the doomsday device

Yep, as a devoted Waterford fan all I can say is keep the faith. You have fine hurlers and a young team and the fog doom and gloom will be blown away by a single victory next year and who know what can happen then.

Clare hurling doesn't simply lie down at the first sign of trouble.

• Advertisement

Waterford are in an all ireland final Limerick will probably join them, if Kelly was available we probably would have beaten Waterford

I think it's a bit strong to say that we'd have probably won with a fit Kelly, Waterford were pulling away from us, once we missed the goal and they got the point we were a beaten team, BUT with some luck like Kelly being fully fit and us taking all our chances we might have beaten them.

At the start of the year everyone was talking about Clare and Waterford being bottom of the pile in Munster, now I think it's between Clare and Cork for that title.

That was as good a hurling performance as I have ever seen in the second half last night.
    What stood out for me was Waterford's ability to win ball in the air against the masters of the sky. I thought this was incredible, the Meath man Fagan was supreme and was ably assisted by Bennet, Barron, Moran and De Burca.
    Untill Clare can win their own ball in the air against the big hitters they are going to be perinnal also rans.
    I think there has been too much emphasis but on developing tippy tappy games plans to avoid having to win areial battles, instead of coaching young players in the arts of winning your own ball man to man and then having them ready to step up and do it at inter county level.

I think it's a bit strong to say that we'd have probably won with a fit Kelly, Waterford were pulling away from us, once we missed the goal and they got the point we were a beaten team, BUT with some luck like Kelly being fully fit and us taking all our chances we might have beaten them.

At the start of the year everyone was talking about Clare and Waterford being bottom of the pile in Munster, now I think it's between Clare and Cork for that title.

It was strong but how knows, if ever their is an example of going from pauper to Prince in such a short space of time it's Waterford, if we got two or 3 players back for next year's championship I see no reason why we can't pull up a few trees ourselves, the open nature of the current era of hurling rules out no one

fire_man wrote: »
    Anyone see Clare Ladies game today.Well beaten 4 13 to 4 points.Who are the management?

James murrihey and Evan talty from quilty , both have excellent track records in fairness, Evan played for clare and won several County championships and a few munster clubs

James had a spell managing the ladies in the past was in charge when they reached their last all ireland intermediate final a number of years ago has been involved in several clubs in senior also

Meath would be very strong at this level at the moment

It was strong but how knows, if ever their is an example of going from pauper to Prince in such a short space of time it's Waterford, if we got two or 3 players back for next year's championship I see no reason why we can't pull up a few trees ourselves, the open nature of the current era of hurling rules out no one

Absolutely, over 70 minutes I think any team in the championship can beat any of the others, it's being able to do it week in week out that makes champions, when you get a bit of luck on your side then who knows. I don't think we have much more in this crop of players and there isn't that many coming through to replace them, I think every season from now on we're going to be missing 2 or 3 players for every match and as we don't have a strong 15 that's going to put us on the backfoot more and more going forward.

Also very annoyed to hear both Michael O'connor and Sean Chaplin have pulled out of the running for chairman

Candidates remaining are two buddies of el capataino Cesar Chavez Fitzgerald both men must be over 80 years of age if not fair close to it, pj mcguane from West clare, Robert frost from East clare both loyal comrades of our purple jumper friend

Edit this , finger not on the pulse robert frost pulled out of the running in mid week , so the new chairman is an 82 year old football fanatic who believes the game should go back to the way it was in the 1930s and 40s of catch kick and break jaws the future is once again bright in clareabby €ðŸ˜‚

Absolutely, over 70 minutes I think any team in the championship can beat any of the others, it's being able to do it week in week out that makes champions, when you get a bit of luck on your side then who knows. I don't think we have much more in this crop of players and there isn't that many coming through to replace them, I think every season from now on we're going to be missing 2 or 3 players for every match and as we don't have a strong 15 that's going to put us on the backfoot more and more going forward.

Look its very hard to see us winning an all ireland in the next few yers but it is very important to remain as competitive as we can and be their abouts in the last 6 and even last 4 every year , this current format probably suits us better then the group stage championship , apparently the gaa are planning a late championship next October and November again to give people a chance to attend games so who knows, maybe a better draw and one or two lads to come back and we can build again ,realistically the next few years have got to be about being competitive rather then thinking too far ahead of ourselves or talking ourselves down too much , which is something that happens here far too often in this county I feel

Also very annoyed to hear both Michael O'connor and Sean Chaplin have pulled out of the running for chairman

Candidates remaining are two buddies of el capataino Cesar Chavez Fitzgerald both men must be over 80 years of age if not fair close to it, pj mcguane from West clare, Robert frost from East clare both loyal comrades of our purple jumper friend

Edit this , finger not on the pulse robert frost pulled out of the running in mid week , so the new chairman is an 82 year old football fanatic who believes the game should go back to the way it was in the 1930s and 40s of catch kick and break jaws the future is once again bright in clareabby €��

I was talking to someone from Kilmaley over the weekend and the vice-chairman role sounds like a TV show, Romer has been nominated by Kilmaley, Michael Maher has been nominated by Ballyea

Look its very hard to see us winning an all ireland in the next few yers but it is very important to remain as competitive as we can and be their abouts in the last 6 and even last 4 every year , this current format probably suits us better then the group stage championship , apparently the gaa are planning a late championship next October and November again to give people a chance to attend games so who knows, maybe a better draw and one or two lads to come back and we can build again ,realistically the next few years have got to be about being competitive rather then thinking too far ahead of ourselves or talking ourselves down too much , which is something that happens here far too often in this county I feel

If we had the Waterford draw we could have had a great season, but if and buts.......

We have to be reaching quarter finals at least, that has to be the baseline for us, anything over that is a bonus. This current bunch of players have a load of under 21 and a senior all Ireland, I don't think it's too much to expect to be competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Gael85

KIB4Life wrote: »

Was Ciaran Morrissey available for selection? Didn't see his name listed on panel for Fermanagh, Armagh or Tipperary games.

Advertisement