Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

Clareman wrote: »
    If we had the Waterford draw we could have had a great season, but if and buts.......

We have to be reaching quarter finals at least, that has to be the baseline for us, anything over that is a bonus. This current bunch of players have a load of under 21 and a senior all Ireland, I don't think it's too much to expect to be competitive.

Getting to the quarter finals sounds like a bigger achievement than it actually is, in reality you are coming 6th in a 10 team competition.
    Clare beat Laois and Wexford to get to a quarter final this year, not earth shattering stuff.
    I suppose what I'm saying is Clare have to be targeting a provincial title or getting to an All Ireland semi final to be making progress.
    An All Ireland Quarter final appearance can make a bang average year seem better than it actually was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Getting to the quarter finals sounds like a bigger achievement than it actually is, in reality you are coming 6th in a 10 team competition.
    Clare beat Laois and Wexford to get to a quarter final this year, not earth shattering stuff.
    I suppose what I'm saying is Clare have to be targeting a provincial title or getting to an All Ireland semi final to be making progress.
    An All Ireland Quarter final appearance can make a bang average year seem better than it actually was.

Look a provincial title is almost a non starter as a target , we have won as many all Ireland's as provincial titles, aiming for a 1/4 final spot is far more realistic and puts you two games away from the final , we have a huge psychological difference between provincial and all Ireland finals , even in 2002 we played well dispite being huge underdogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Gael85 wrote: »
    Was Ciaran Morrissey available for selection? Didn't see his name listed on panel for Fermanagh, Armagh or Tipperary games.

Extended I think which in today's world means he wasn't in attendance, I dont think he is better then either Hartnett dean Ryan or cillian Brennan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

We have a terrible record in Munster.
    That is a fact that cannot be disputed.

Being competitive in Munster year in year out would put us in a better place long term.

To do that we need to build a squad of 30 who can swap in and out as form and injuries dictate.

at the moment we have somewhere up to 12 lads who are of the standard required for us to be a genuine force.

the back door qualifier route is not glamorous.

I would love to see an emphasis on the Munster championship for the next 5 years to see if we can get one during that time...

the road to Croke park is tougher that way for sure, but this is the route we should be looking to take if we want to be considered a genuine hurling force.

sure maybe we are not a tipp or kk, and never will be, but we should be aiming to be better than we have shown in the modern era.
    Look a provincial title is almost a non starter as a target , we have won as many all Ireland's as provincial titles, aiming for a 1/4 final spot is far more realistic and puts you two games away from the final , we have a huge psychological difference between provincial and all Ireland finals , even in 2002 we played well dispite being huge underdogs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

djr15 wrote: »
    We have a terrible record in Munster.
    That is a fact that cannot be disputed.

Being competitive in Munster year in year out would put us in a better place long term.

To do that we need to build a squad of 30 who can swap in and out as form and injuries dictate.

at the moment we have somewhere up to 12 lads who are of the standard required for us to be a genuine force.

the back door qualifier route is not glamorous.

I would love to see an emphasis on the Munster championship for the next 5 years to see if we can get one during that time...

the road to Croke park is tougher that way for sure, but this is the route we should be looking to take if we want to be considered a genuine hurling force.

sure maybe we are not a tipp or kk, and never will be, but we should be aiming to be better than we have shown in the modern era.

I would almost go the opposite, to win Munster you have to have a decent draw (free weekends and home advantage) and you have to play an extra game, finishing third is almost the ideal place to finish. The provincial championship is about as valuable as the league now and I would say besides players wanting to have a full medal collection that there isn't any value in it. The fact is that the modern game is judged on All Ireland's, nothing else and this century only 3 times have a team won Munster and the All Ireland.

Looking at the 2010's, KK won 4 All Irelands, Tipp 3, Clare, Limerick and Galway 1 each, you would probably say that Galway and Limerick had the better decade than Clare but that's because they are still contesting semi/finals. Of the other counties, Cork won 3 Munster titles, Waterford 1, they would not classify the 2010s as a good decade. For Clare you would say that 2013 and 2018 were the standout years, most people wouldn't rate 2016 (League) or 2017 (beaten Munster finalists) that highly at all.

For me, strength and fitness has to be the priority, if we can have 20/25 strong, fit players we will be competitive and with a bit of luck will win stuff, falling off at the end of games won't cut it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Look a provincial title is almost a non starter as a target , we have won as many all Ireland's as provincial titles,

We must be the only county in Ireland with that stat, same number of provincial titles as All-Irelands

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Munster cups do matter and leagues do matter. That we have won so few Munster cups is terrible. Youre right ,All Irelands are the real currency that teams are measured on but there's only 3 cups every year.
    In Clare we always say 'would we be better off getting knocked out early in Munster and getting ahandy qualifier draw?' That's the narrative every year. Nothe munster county does that. The facts behind it are we will still get knocked out before the All Ireland final. For me Munster should be the aim. If we won a Munster it gives serious impetus and confidence. And it would get us to Croker where we play well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

I 100% agree with this.
    BloodyBill wrote: »
    Munster cups do matter and leagues do matter. That we have won so few Munster cups is terrible. Youre right ,All Irelands are the real currency that teams are measured on but there's only 3 cups every year.
    In Clare we always say 'would we be better off getting knocked out early in Munster and getting ahandy qualifier draw?' That's the narrative every year. Nothe munster county does that. The facts behind it are we will still get knocked out before the All Ireland final. For me Munster should be the aim. If we won a Munster it gives serious impetus and confidence. And it would get us to Croker where we play well..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In the past decade we've played there 4 times with a record of 2 wins and 2 draws, hardly a great baseline to be making a judgement on.

To win Munster you'll need to win 3 group games and the final, that's 4 out of 5 games at a serious level, I don't think we have the squad to do that, I do think we have the squad to finish third, beat a qualifier and then be competitive in the All Ireland series.

Looking at the last 5 years, we won 2 out of 4 games (2020), won 2 out of 4 games (2019), won 4 out of 8 (2018), won 1 out of 3 (2017) and 2 out of 4 (2016), that's just about a 50% winning record, I don't think we have the squad of players to win 3 out of 5 in Munster and the make a run at the All Ireland, but I do think we have the squad of players to get 2 out of 4, maybe a draw or a win on the road if we get a bit of luck (like we did in 2018) and make a run at it, we haven't been to Croke Park enough so I think the priority should be getting back to Croke Park and I think our best way to achieve that is through the qualifiers.

Saying all that, I don't think any team will ever go out not to win every match so I think the team will always be looking to win Munster and the All Ireland.

The Casey brothers slipped through the Clare net. Both are Claremen from a farm in Meelick. Its a pity because I reckon if Meelick was a strong club we'd not alone have the Caseys but Kevin Downes and the Dempsey brothers in the Clare Colours. The Dempseys are from a farm in coonagh but its in meelick parish as is all Coonagh. Its a kick in the gonads because there are so many strong clubs around meelick like Cratloe,Sixmilebridge ect..

• Advertisement

There's a lot of players around there that will declare for Limerick mainly because of proximity to the city, the fact that they go to school in Limerick and the better setup that Limerick have. Don't forget that Clare development squads have had to pay for their own gear in the past, ~€150 per player and they were told that it was exclusive gear etc. etc., Limerick and other counties realise the value in getting players bought into the crest and give as much of it out as is needed, it helps when you've a rich sugar daddy but that's a different story.

There's a lot of players around there that will declare for Limerick mainly because of proximity to the city, the fact that they go to school in Limerick and the better setup that Limerick have. Don't forget that Clare development squads have had to pay for their own gear in the past, ~€150 per player and they were told that it was exclusive gear etc. etc., Limerick and other counties realise the value in getting players bought into the crest and give as much of it out as is needed, it helps when you've a rich sugar daddy but that's a different story.

Thats crazy news that the Clare young fellas have to dip in their parents pockets for gear. To be honest in 2020 kids aren't even motivated by gear. Its just a given that they ll have all they need or want. Limerick are competing with rugby clubs who look after their kids very well. Clare really need cash but they need a change in outlook and how its spent. We can see that we aren't far away from the standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Also very annoyed to hear both Michael O'connor and Sean Chaplin have pulled out of the running for chairman

Candidates remaining are two buddies of el capataino Cesar Chavez Fitzgerald both men must be over 80 years of age if not fair close to it, pj mcguane from West clare, Robert frost from East clare both loyal comrades of our purple jumper friend

Edit this , finger not on the pulse robert frost pulled out of the running in mid week , so the new chairman is an 82 year old football fanatic who believes the game should go back to the way it was in the 1930s and 40s of catch kick and break jaws the future is once again bright in clareabby €��

Jack Chaplin is standing.

Thats crazy news that the Clare young fellas have to dip in their parents pockets for gear. To be honest in 2020 kids aren't even motivated by gear. Its just a given that they ll have all they need or want. Limerick are competing with rugby clubs who look after their kids very well. Clare really need cash but they need a change in outlook and how its spent. We can see that we aren't far away from the standard.

This isn't a new thing, it's been that way for years, there's a letter sent out saying how great it is, I thought everyone knew about it.

Just want to acknowledge Gordon Kelly who has hung up his boots at the age of 37 after giving 15 years loyal service to the saffron and blue footballers.
    A teak tough defender who lined out at centre back and more recently at corner back. Very talented defender and effective ball carrier. He spent the first 7 years of his inter county career in division 4 but was a lynchpin in the Collins era when the Banner consolidated themselves as a division 2 side.
    One of the top forwards in the country David Clifford named Kelly as his toughest opponent.
    Thanks for the service Gordon and no doubt there is a few years of top quality club football to come.

Just want to acknowledge Gordon Kelly who has hung up his boots at the age of 37 after giving 15 years loyal service to the saffron and blue footballers.
    A teak tough defender who lined out at centre back and more recently at corner back. Very talented defender and effective ball carrier. He spent the first 7 years of his inter county career in division 4 but was a lynchpin in the Collins era when the Banner consolidated themselves as a division 2 side.
    One of the top forwards in the country David Clifford named Kelly as his toughest opponent.
    Thanks for the service Gordon and no doubt there is a few years of top quality club football to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JR Harvey

This isn't a new thing, it's been that way for years, there's a letter sent out saying how great it is, I thought everyone knew about it.

It is far from great. It's an absolute shame. The kids have to sell €10 scratch card tickets for first round of championship. Each card has a minute and a second on it. If the first goal of the game occurs at that time you win a prize.
    I am not being critical of the mentors as they have to get funds somewhere to run their development squads.
    If they ran a proper draw with decent prizes it would be something. People wouldn't feel cheated out of their money and everybody wants to support local, young hurlers. However businesses are slow to contribute to county board coffers due to poor bang for buck and loads of squandering and mismanagement in the past which has been low on accountability.
    It is just pitiful and nothing will change probably

I think it's terrible that gambling is promoted at underage or within the GAA, the scratch card might seem like a harmless piece of fun but it's still promoting gambling, same as the Last Man Standing promotions that most clubs are running, but at least the scratch cards have something to do with the GAA not another sport altogether. Don't get me wrong, fund raising is extremely difficult to all facets of life not just GAA clubs or underage teams and it can be extremely difficult to to think up of stuff and being on the moral high ground being behind a keyboard and saying I'm against gambling, "foreign games" or other stuff like fast food restaurants is easy for me to say.

I think it's terrible that gambling is promoted at underage or within the GAA, the scratch card might seem like a harmless piece of fun but it's still promoting gambling, same as the Last Man Standing promotions that most clubs are running, but at least the scratch cards have something to do with the GAA not another sport altogether. Don't get me wrong, fund raising is extremely difficult to all facets of life not just GAA clubs or underage teams and it can be extremely difficult to to think up of stuff and being on the moral high ground being behind a keyboard and saying I'm against gambling, "foreign games" or other stuff like fast food restaurants is easy for me to say.

Gambling is one of the biggest scourges in society at the moment and I wouldnt have my kids going around selling poxy scratch cards. I used to think that not having a pub or bar attached to the clubhouse was silly. Iv changed my mind on that too. And studies have shown that the younger generation are drinking less and less and thats good. Theres other ways to raise finance more sustainably and better ethically than bars and gambling. In saying that Shannon have a great bar and run it well so I'm selective in my criticism haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 banner4change

Looks increasingly likely but not officially confirmed that Colm Collins will remain on as Clare senior football manager for an eighth year in charge in 2021.

No word as of yet of any changes to his backroom team from this year though.

• Advertisement

TL;DR
    Setup a committee, get a review, make money from new places, fixtures and regrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Minor footballers out on Saturday v Tipperary in Thurles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Gael85

Aaron Fitzgerald switching over to the hurlers for next season.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Aaron Fitzgerald switching over to the hurlers for next season.

Huge loss to the footballers, brought a great physical presence to the Clare defence is a very effective holding 6. Strong, determined, dogged if not the most natural ball player.
    Don't know much about his hurling skills, but he will bring massive physicality which the hurlers are crying out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭letowski

Huge loss to the footballers, brought a great physical presence to the Clare defence is a very effective holding 6. Strong, determined, dogged if not the most natural ball player.
    Don't know much about his hurling skills, but he will bring massive physicality which the hurlers are crying out for.

Yeah he looked very good the few times I saw him for Eire Og. Very good athlete. He'd likely compete for a wing back spot I'd say. Not sure how good his hurling is in terms of intercounty level, I suppose we won't know until next year. Worth looking at for sure, as you said, the type of players we need to be bringing in. Bradley Higgins also coming into the panel, good player too, been dogged with injuries unfortunately.

That's 2 serious losses to the footballers now from Ennis based players, being a dual county means that this will happen more and more though which is unfortunate, looking at the Cleary brothers for example, if both of those were available to either the footballers or hurlers it'd be a great boost but it won't happen.

That's 2 serious losses to the footballers now from Ennis based players, being a dual county means that this will happen more and more though which is unfortunate, looking at the Cleary brothers for example, if both of those were available to either the footballers or hurlers it'd be a great boost but it won't happen.

Conor Cleary is a more natural footballer than a hurler and would be some addition to the footballers, but that's life it's not going to happen
    If Gary Brennan concentrated on hurling what a difference he would have made to the county hurlers in the last decade. To see him driving past Padraic Maher, leaving him for dust and blasting the ball to the net in the Munster Club for Ballyea you would have to wonder what was possible for him if he put time into the small ball.
    Pearse Lillis, David Fitzgerald, Cathal Malone, Shane O Donnell, Aiden McCarthy all dual players.
    I have no doubt Aaron Shanagher would be a good footballer.
    I fully believe if Clare just concentrated on one code like Kilkenny, Kerry the majority of Connaught and Ulster they would have a lot of days out in Croke Park, but that's not the way it works or not they way it should be either, the big ball is religion in one area and the small ball in another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 banner4change

Some suggestions that Cathal McInerney and Aaron Cunningham have left the Clare senior Hurling panel. Hope that Cathal might join the Clare senior footballers though.

The Galvin brothers are back, which is good news.

Advertisement