Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 banner4change

Clare 4-20 Limerick 1-10 was the final score in the Munster MFC semi final. Another outstanding performance from the young Clare lads in the LIT Gaelic grounds, playing front foot attacking football with Cillian McGroary chipping in with 2 goals in another impressive display.

If we were more clinical in front of goal we could have added another 2-5 on the scoreboard it was that dominant from the Banner county.

We fully deserve our place in the Munster final to take place in the LIT Gaelic grounds next Tuesday with a 7 pm throw in against Kerry.

Dermot Coughlan has been a breath of fresh air as Clare minor manager with his emphasis on attacking football clear to see with this team. Great kick passing and high tempo footie playing at a fast pace and huge work rate around the middle third. The Kilmurry Ibrickane clubman has assembled a very strong backroom team with him and they look like a very well coached and highly motivated team, a credit to their clubs and county.

It will be tough against Kerry in 5 days time from now but if they play with the same fearless and attacking approach that has seen them knock over 5-44 in two games, then anything is possible and I give them a huge shout to defeat the Kingdom County young guns and by 8:30 on next Tuesday evening, our long drought for underage football glory might well come to an end.

Well done for getting this far and all the players and management have been a credit to the county. We are so proud of them and here’s hoping that they can round off a difficult and challenging 2020 for the Banner county with silverware just before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BnB

I presume this will be streamed on the Munster Gaa thing. There is a link up for the hurling final on Sunday but I don't see any link yet for the football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

https://youtu.be/sjEEQr3umcM

Minor game on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

Disappointing result but Kerry the better team by far. Shows the gulf in class to the top after Clare hammering Tipp & Limerick. Rouine a real player of promise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Can I ask what the ‘no purple jumpers’ thing/joke is about...?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Can I ask what the ‘no purple jumpers’ thing/joke is about...?

Pat Fitz always wears a purple jumper

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't know if this will share here because I'm friends with David but if anyone is ever wondering if you should get involved with a team, well this is your answer

https://www.facebook.com/1355870731/videos/10225506261987530/

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

might aswell do a little pre season preparation and discussion, helps pass the time.
    a few questions on or mind is
    1. general system/tatics
    2. general starting 15
    3. extended panel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Feenie wrote: »
    might aswell do a little pre season preparation and discussion, helps pass the time.
    a few questions on or mind is
    1. general system/tatics
    2. general starting 15
    3. extended panel

ok , 1 in terms of systems and tactics its good to know we have a manager that will play the situation rather then the same system over and over again win lose or draw

2 , starting 15 , hopfully colm galvin makes a return later in the year , hopfully we see more of conor hagerty in a clare jersey this year a serious hurler in the making , shane o donnell as a flat lying center forward , great ball winner without the scoring powress ,

3, extended panel should include patrick ryan and diarmuid nash from scarriff , nash is a world champion hand ball player but had a serious year with scariff i expect mark rodgers to make the full panel from the same club

Domhnall McMahon still needs to be in the house too , colin crehan deserves a place on the extended panel from the mills while diarmuid cahill from corofin and maybe brandon o conell from ballyea have showed huge promise in the championship , Aaron fitz is on the extended panel after leaving the footballers for the hurlers both him and liam corry will be huge assetts to the panel if fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

ok , 1 in terms of systems and tactics its good to know we have a manager that will play the situation rather then the same system over and over again win lose or draw

2 , starting 15 , hopfully colm galvin makes a return later in the year , hopfully we see more of conor hagerty in a clare jersey this year a serious hurler in the making , shane o donnell as a flat lying center forward , great ball winner without the scoring powress ,

3, extended panel should include patrick ryan and diarmuid nash from scarriff , nash is a world champion hand ball player but had a serious year with scariff i expect mark rodgers to make the full panel from the same club

Domhnall McMahon still needs to be in the house too , colin crehan deserves a place on the extended panel from the mills while diarmuid cahill from corofin and maybe brandon o conell from ballyea have showed huge promise in the championship , Aaron fitz is on the extended panel after leaving the footballers for the hurlers both him and liam corry will be huge assetts to the panel if fit

The best of the hurlers on the U20 (aside from those that were injured) was Galvin from Clarecastle. He was the standout from the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭supernova5

2 , starting 15 , hopfully colm galvin makes a return later in the year

Hmm, I thought Colm Galvin was well on his way through rehab and would be available for early or mid League campaign ?

I remember seeing Darragh Keane of Kilmaley in their match against Ballyea in 2020. He looked flying fit, seemed to be big, got a good goal, scored a sideline and popped a few points if I remember correctly. He seems like he could. his size could be used.

supernova5 wrote: »
    2 , starting 15 , hopfully colm galvin makes a return later in the year

Hmm, I thought Colm Galvin was well on his way through rehab and would be available for early or mid League campaign ?

Galvin said he'd be rejoining the panel in January. Suppose he's back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Positiveways

Seamus Hayes from the Clare Echo reporting of high levels of concern that Colm Collins, hasn't committed one way or the other as to whether he will continue on as Clare senior football manager for a eighth year in 2021. S&C coach Rob Mulcahy is doing some work with the younger players in the squad, but as of yet no sign of white smoke regarding the Cratloe clubman's plans for 2021.

It also appears that Dermot Coughlan will continue in his role as Clare minor football manager for 2021, according to the veteran Hayes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Positiveways

Davy Fitz is set to be one of Ryan Tubridy's guests on tomorrow's Late Late Show on RTE One.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Davy Fitz is set to be one of Ryan Tubridy's guests on tomorrow's Late Late Show on RTE One.

Thats to be avoided so. Not that I wouldnt avoid it anyway with Donnie the left wing war reporter from Cahirciveen on it.
    No doubt Davy will get to speak about bullying and his dad and Tubridy will not ask one decent question.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Thats to be avoided so. Not that I wouldnt avoid it anyway with Donnie the left wing war reporter from Cahirciveen on it.
    No doubt Davy will get to speak about bullying and his dad and Tubridy will not ask one decent question.

He's already getting the story out there

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/sixmilebridge-take-stand-against-sustained-personal-abuse-dished-out-to-davy-fitzgerald-and-his-father-pat-39943251.html

Clareman wrote: »

The siege mentallity and the sympathy vote. Tubridy will play him for all he is worth..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Gael85

BloodyBill wrote: »

Yet he continues to hurl abuse at match officials.

Shock horror, I have to say I'm blown away with this news, couldn't see it coming............

https://twitter.com/IndoSport/status/1347462891730046977?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KIB4Life

Shock horror, I have to say I'm blown away with this news, couldn't see it coming............

https://twitter.com/IndoSport/status/1347462891730046977?s=20

Supposedly there has been a 400 page document complied in relation to the online abuse that Pat Fitzgerald has received, which I’m sure he’ll mention again on the Late Late. For someone that can give so much abuse to officials and even his own players, he doesn’t take well to any slight bit of criticism that he receives.

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Supposedly there has been a 400 page document complied in relation to the online abuse that Pat Fitzgerald has received, which I’m sure he’ll mention again on the Late Late. For someone that can give so much abuse to officials and even his own players, he doesn’t take well to any slight bit of criticism that he receives.

It's obvious from the last convention there are moves being made to end his term. Some very pointed questions came in about the duration of his contract.
    Pat Fitz is in position for over 25 years now.

don't hate davy myself, I do quite like him if anything, but mother of God he's petty when it comes down to it. Online abuse? I think you mean criticism.

We all know what they're at, the Bridge didn't mention when 1 of their backroom staff was removed from Cusack Park for abusing a player.

Tonight Davy will start shifting his head while looking down and saying stuff like "look it, we've done a lot for hurling and we know we've made mistakes but the abuse my dad has gotten, a man who has given everything for Clare GAA, well, I just won't stand for it. I won't name who said it or what they said but it's just not good enough". The funny thing about all this is nothing was said about Davy or Pat, it was all questions about where the money went, where the supporters club money went, where the Cusack Park upgrade went, and the only person to engage with the Clare backroom member was a Wexford selector who used a considerable amount of bad language, but none of that will be mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

so the general consensus here from these posts that I am reading is that Davy is at fault mostly here and that he and his dad are not subject to excessive online bullying.

If that's the case they why has his club taken up the issue
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/sixmilebridge-take-stand-against-sustained-personal-abuse-dished-out-to-davy-fitzgerald-and-his-father-pat-39943251.html

As someone that loves Clare as a county and, like many neutrals, always support the county I am intrigued at the consistent level of dislike for the guy.

In my opinion if he is subject to online harassment and bullying then the people that did it are no friends of Clare GAA and its an us vs them and Clare GAA supporters should support Davey on this even if they dislike him for other things he has done or said. After all he must be some sort of a hero playing and managing all ireland's for Clare.

I am from Meath and Graham Geraghty did annoy a lot of people at times and I remember him being booed off after being sent off in a club semi final. But I tell you that Meath people were 100% behind him when he got almost killed in a tackle versus the Aussies and in his recent health scare.

Davey is probably lot different in what he has said and done but Clare people need to stand up to these bullies. Also what about the member of the Clare backroom team that said some abusive stuff - that needed to be looked into and dealt with by Brian Lohan - perhaps it was.

Davey may well wear his heart on his sleeve and then some but you have to stick up for your own against these online bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Sixmilebridge coming out playing the victim here is laughable, the most vile, disgusting, miserable, player poaching club in the country. They wouldn't even let a fella collect a few quid outside the church to go play handball in Canada, because it was not hurling, he won a world championship by the way. They are absolutely detested by a lot of people in the bridge never mind the rest of Clare.

jimd2 wrote: »
    so the general consensus here from these posts that I am reading is that Davy is at fault mostly here and that he and his dad are not subject to online bullying.

If that's the case they why has his club taken up the issue

As someone that loves Clare as a county and, like many neutrals, always support the county I am intrigued at the consistent level of dislike for the guy.

In my opinion if he is subject to online harassment and bullying then the people that did it are no friends of Clare GAA and its an us vs them and Clare GAA supporters should support Davey on this even if they dislike him for other things he has done or said. After all he must be some sort of qa hero playing and managing all irelands for Clare.

I am from Meath and Graham Geraghty did annoy a lot of people at times and I remember him being booed off after being sent off in a club semi final. But I tell you that Meath peoplem were 100% behind him when he go almost killed in a tackle versus the Aussies and in his recent health scare.

Davey is probably lot different in what he has said and done but Clare people need to stand up to these bullies. Also what about the member of the Clare backroom team that said some abusive stuff - that needed to be looked into and dealt with by Brian Lohan - perhaps it was.

Davey may well wear his heat on his sleeve and then some but you have to stick up for your own against these online bullies.

But they aren't being bullied, they really really really aren't being bullied, they are being questioned and because those questions don't want to be answered they are being deflected. The reason the club is taking a stance is because the puppet masters are getting them to do it.

An example of a past issue that was being questioned is a few years ago there was a Clare Hurlers Supporters Club setup, there was a lot of money raised, Davy himself went over to America (business class) and collected substantial amounts of money. When asked to see the accounts at a county board meeting Pat Fitz made it clear that that supporters club had nothing to do with Clare GAA so no accounts would be shared. Where all that money went to no-one know, well everyone knows but you can't ask but when you ask about that money you are accused about being a bully. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Davy's sister what the chairperson/secretary of the club.

Another example would be the re-development of Cusack Park, millions went into it and on paper everything is fine, but ask anyone involved in it and they'll tell you about stuff for houses being bought instead of stuff for the development of Cusack Park. Ask any questions about this and you are being a bully.

Another example would be the "review" into moving Cusack Park out to the by-pass, 100 of thousands was spent in looking into building a new stadium out on a flood plane next to a river, ask where that money actually went and you are being a bully.

Another example is the purchase of Clare Abbey and the development of Tulla which both have over-ran massively with no use for either as they aren't fit for purpose, ask about either and you're a bully.

Another example would be the money that was gotten for selling prime real estate land next to Cusack Park to Aldi.

There is no avenue for Clare people to raise questions as to where the money is gone and if you do ask then you are a bully

niallo27 wrote: »
    Sixmilebridge coming out playing the victim here is laughable, the most vile, disgusting, miserable, player poaching club in the country. They wouldn't even let a fella collect a few quid outside the church to go play handball in Canada, because it was not hurling, he won a world championship by the way. They are absolutely detested by a lot of people in the bridge never mind the rest of Clare.

I think it's fair to say that when the Bridge are playing a championship match then half the Bridge are supporting the other team, regardless of who they are playing.

But they aren't being bullied, they really really really aren't being bullied, they are being questioned and because those questions don't want to be answered they are being deflected. The reason the club is taking a stance is because the puppet masters are getting them to do it.

An example of a past issue that was being questioned is a few years ago there was a Clare Hurlers Supporters Club setup, there was a lot of money raised, Davy himself went over to America (business class) and collected substantial amounts of money. When asked to see the accounts at a county board meeting Pat Fitz made it clear that that supporters club had nothing to do with Clare GAA so no accounts would be shared. Where all that money went to no-one know, well everyone knows but you can't ask but when you ask about that money you are accused about being a bully. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Davy's sister what the chairperson/secretary of the club.

Another example would be the re-development of Cusack Park, millions went into it and on paper everything is fine, but ask anyone involved in it and they'll tell you about stuff for houses being bought instead of stuff for the development of Cusack Park. Ask any questions about this and you are being a bully.

Another example would be the "review" into moving Cusack Park out to the by-pass, 100 of thousands was spent in looking into building a new stadium out on a flood plane next to a river, ask where that money actually went and you are being a bully.

Another example is the purchase of Clare Abbey and the development of Tulla which both have over-ran massively with no use for either as they aren't fit for purpose, ask about either and you're a bully.

Another example would be the money that was gotten for selling prime real estate land next to Cusack Park to Aldi.

There is no avenue for Clare people to raise questions as to where the money is gone and if you do ask then you are a bully

everone also knows that Davy had a mouth on him when he was playing. His goading of Limerick in Ennis when we hammered them is when he lost support.

I have seen is antics at Fitzgibbon matchs and some of the things said would have gotten him dismissed from a job. When I say I have seen, I was there.

• Advertisement

Figerty wrote: »
    everone also knows that Davy had a mouth on him when he was playing. His goading of Limerick in Ennis when we hammered them is when he lost support.

I have seen is antics at Fitzgibbon matchs and some of the things said would have gotten him dismissed from a job. When I say I have seen, I was there.

Being a manager goading his former players was bad form, as a manager "hitting" an opponent player was bad form, as a player trying to organise a strike against management was bad form, as a player goading opponents was bad form. No other manager keeps going on about his former team or his father's job so much.

Advertisement