Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

As I expected Newmarket came up short against a fired up feakle side. Colin guilfoyle a huge miss for the blues who allowed feakle too much space in the first half to build up a healthy six point lead at the break albeit with the aid of a strong breeze. Newmarket played way better in the second half but just when they were in the ascendancy feakle scored a sucker punch second goal to seal the tie.
    Bridge have hockeyed clarecastle also as expected.......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Clooney and Ballyea gone to extra time. Ballyea came from 7 down at one point.

Just the 2-12 out of 2-15 for Peter Duggan!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

club hurling championship didn't disappoint today , not many surprises but plenty of gauntlets thrown down , inagh were impressive v tulla , the bridge with cathal malone auditioning as new clare full forward blew clarecastle out of the water ,
    feakle got the win they wanted to stay alive for another season , townies are back is the battle cry around ennis tonight after david reidys last minute point spared the game from a penalty shoot out

ballyea and clooney Q played out a highly entertaining game tonight in the park the battle between niall deasy v peter duggan did not disappoint it finished deasy 1-13 three meter peter 2-14 some scoring by both men and roughly 60% of scores only from frees

cratloe were sweating at half time having conceded 4-05 to whitegate but steadied the ship in the second half , anyone know why we have a player as talented as billy connors in the county and not using him as a regular for clare please fill in the gaps , probably the best hurler in the county at the moment

big win for clonlara in a game they would have lost on many occasions at this stage of the championship over the last few years , odheran o'dwyer was trainer for the mills last year he is with the kilmihil footballers this year i feel he is going to be the difference this year for the mills a huge loss as trainer had the mills flying last year

relegation looks to be between the magpies , tulla , whitegate , and possibly wolfe tones if they lose tomorrow momentum sinks in shannon fairly fast and given they are missing a few i cant see much light for them this year

as for the cannon race , it looks like ballyea , cratloe , inagh and sixmilebridge will be chased by eire og , kilmaley and clonlara for the 2019 title

screenshot_2.jpg

caddy16 wrote: »
    Feakle short a few as well, time will tell I suppose.

i highly rate one or two of the feakle lads , shane mcgrath , ray bane , quilligan in goal are all close to inter county standard , i appreciate that the exiled guilfoyle is a massive loss to the blues , but lets face it , eoin hayes is an athlete one of the best amature soccer players in the country , how much hurling dose he do over the winter , colin ryan is still brilliant in all shades of grass but mcgrath is not that far behind, like clarecastle and clooney Q bar the two duggans , the likes of tulla and newmarket are seriously struggling in the forwards and are there for the taking ,

clarecastle , tulla , whitegate , wolfe tones , newmarket and feakle are the bottom 6 clubs in clare at the moment , feakle and whitegate are the only battlers of that group in my opinion

nicholas rynne deserves an all star for his media work here are a few interviews from saturdays games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Was at the Park yesterday. The Bridge did the business against Clarecastle. CC are going to be in trouble this year I think, they are a poor side. No Bobby Duggan either and they struggled on frees. The Bridge mixed up the Davy style short game well with going direct into Malone. It will be interesting to see how Malone goes up top, I think he could be very effective with his size. The Bridge will be thereabouts this year Jamie Shanahan came on for them too, he is a top class club hurler.

Ballyea CQ was a good game of hurling. CQ really put it up to Ballyea for most of it, their backs were very sticky/plucky while Duggan carried the load up front. But the reality is they were completely reliant on him for scores. Duggan scored an outragous goal in the 2nd half. Ballyea should be thereabouts, they too are very reliant on Kelly and Deasy for scores. Kelly is Kelly but Deasy is a very hard player to counteract at club level with his size. In thinking about him struggling to break into the Clare seniors, I understand why to try to play him wing forward to win ball. But really for me he is an out and out full forward, I would like to see him tried there for Clare next year. But he was again very good for Ballyea yesterday. Ballyea are a gutsy team, they will be hard to beat this year.

feeble effort from wolfe tones in the park today relegation candidates this year struggling to hang on to there main players who all seemed to have holidays booked around the start of the championship :confused:

crusheen will be solid in the championship ,will go far but still a bit to go to beat the likes of the bridge , ballyea or cratloe

shaky start to the intermediate hurling championship for corofin , the opposite to be said for the killaloe men who had an excellent win over the bridge's 2nd team

barefield not really showing there hand just yet , expect better from them in the coming weeks , while tubber scariff and parteen let there intentions known over the weekend , broadford will most likely be too strong for ruan tomorrow they too will have a huge say in how the second tier of clare hurling pans out

842e37da135fc6c9f967b438facd790b-full.jpg

intermediate championship

87896567d8c3efdbd94004aaaae235af-full.jpg

letowski wrote: »
    Was at the Park yesterday. The Bridge did the business against Clarecastle. CC are going to be in trouble this year I think, they are a poor side. No Bobby Duggan either and they struggled on frees. The Bridge mixed up the Davy style short game well with going direct into Malone. It will be interesting to see how Malone goes up top, I think he could be very effective with his size. The Bridge will be thereabouts this year Jamie Shanahan came on for them too, he is a top class club hurler.

Ballyea CQ was a good game of hurling. CQ really put it up to Ballyea for most of it, their backs were very sticky/plucky while Duggan carried the load up front. But the reality is they were completely reliant on him for scores. Duggan scored an outragous goal in the 2nd half. Ballyea should be thereabouts, they too are very reliant on Kelly and Deasy for scores. Kelly is Kelly but Deasy is a very hard player to counteract at club level with his size. In thinking about him struggling to break into the Clare seniors, I understand why to try to play him wing forward to win ball. But really for me he is an out and out full forward, I would like to see him tried there for Clare next year. But he was again very good for Ballyea yesterday. Ballyea are a gutsy team, they will be hard to beat this year.

deasy felt hard done by the conditions of the two games he played in the league ,its hard to blame him too , the first was against tipperary in a monsoon in thurles the other was in the snow against limerick

i appreciate he might not be the best hurler in open play at intercounty level but in truth he needs and deserves more game time in the league , kilkennys top scorer in the league was kevin kelly , the only championship game he played this year to the best of my knowledge was against carlow

the fact is he is an excellent free taker and ready to step in if tj gets a knock , we really need a decent free taker duggan is brilliant to be fair but the pressure gets to him at times , his style is a little awkward also

speaking of full forwards we could be blessed with full forward men next year if cathal malone's new role works out :D

the championship has started much brighter then last year it has to be said , clooney will be a real handful if they can get killian duggan back ,and free up a role for ryan taylor other then peter duggan and mike corry there scoring options are limited , playing bruiser at full back will end in tears also

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Some cracking ties in the winners group for the hurling.

Clare SHC Rd 2
    Ballyea v Sixmilebridge
    Clonlara v Eire Og
    Feakle v Crusheen
    Cratloe v Inagh Kilnamona

Losers group
    Newmarket-on-Fergus vs O’Callaghan’s Mills
    Clarecastle vs Clooney/Quin
    Kilmaley vs Whitegate
    Tulla vs Wolfe Tones

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

Clare SHC Rd 2
    Ballyea v Sixmilebridge
    Clonlara v Eire Og
    Feakle v Crusheen

Losers group
    Kilmaley vs Whitegate
    Tulla vs Wolfe Tones

Interesting draw, top 2 teams meeting in the 1st fixture.
    2 of the losers ties straight forward other 2 will be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clare SHC Rd 2
    Ballyea v Sixmilebridge
    Clonlara v Eire Og
    Feakle v Crusheen

Losers group
    Kilmaley vs Whitegate
    Tulla vs Wolfe Tones

Ballyea and the Bridge gone the next should be a cracker
    Clonlara to beat Eire Og.
    Feakle v Crusheen,, cab go either way
    Cratloe to win

Newmarket. Heard the mills will be short a few Cooneys the next day. Is this true?
    Clooney to win
    Kilmaley to win
    Tulla unless Wolfe tones have a few back.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

deasy felt hard done by the conditions of the two games he played in the league ,its hard to blame him too , the first was against tipperary in a monsoon in thurles the other was in the snow against limerick

i appreciate he might not be the best hurler in open play at intercounty level but in truth he needs and deserves more game time in the league , kilkennys top scorer in the league was kevin kelly , the only championship game he played this year to the best of my knowledge was against carlow

the fact is he is an excellent free taker and ready to step in if tj gets a knock , we really need a decent free taker duggan is brilliant to be fair but the pressure gets to him at times , his style is a little awkward also

speaking of full forwards we could be blessed with full forward men next year if cathal malone's new role works out :D

the championship has started much brighter then last year it has to be said , clooney will be a real handful if they can get killian duggan back ,and free up a role for ryan taylor other then peter duggan and mike corry there scoring options are limited , playing bruiser at full back will end in tears also

Lynch did well on Deasy on Saturday night ,what did he score from play btw? Duggan is one of the best forwards in the country, his goal and one of his points in the first half were unreal. Kelly's goal was spectacular too but he didn't motor at all until extra time.
    Ballyea are a bit limited in places, would be surprised to see them win this year. Clooney pushed them all the way, if only they had another forward they would have won.

Is the hurling knock out from now on or how does it pan out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It's not knock out until the quarter finals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The losers of the winners round play the winners of the losers round, the winners of that play the winners of the winners. The losers of the losers go into a relegation play off.

Clear as mud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

Basically, everyone is given one second chance to try and reach the quarter finals, but once it comes to quarter-finals it is knock out from there on.

Winners Group
    Ballyea v Sixmilebridge
    Clonlara v Eire Og
    Feakle v Crusheen

All 8 teams here won their first round and so haven't used up their one chance yet. The winners of these matches go straight through to the Q-Finals without ever having to use up their chance to lose a game. Also, these 4 winners will be one one side of the Q-Final draw.

The 4 losers here have a 2nd chance so they will go into the 2nd Losers round below

Losers group
    Kilmaley vs Whitegate
    Tulla vs Wolfe Tones

All 8 teams here have lost one match now so they are in the last chance saloon. The 4 winners here will go into the 2nd round of the losers group play the 4 losers from the top 4 matches. The winner of those subsequent 4 matches will be the 4 teams that make up the other side of the Q-Finals draw.

The losers of these 4 matches will have lost their first 2 games and will go into a relegation semi final.

Do you know what, it actually makes sense and is a good system to get the C'ship played off quickly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Do you know what, it actually makes sense and is a good system to get the C'ship played off quickly.

Played off quickly????? The intercounty hurlers are out since the 16th of June, the footballers since the 7th of July, that means that there was 1 and a half months wasted for the hurlers and over a month for the footballers, now there's going to be a panic to get it all played off every second weekend in the hope to have it played off in time for the Munster club championship, which doesn't start until November.

Yes but with this system it is entirely doable and we all knew that the club championships were pencilled in for early August from a long way back, obviously the timeline matches up.

Yes but with this system it is entirely doable and we all knew that the club championships were pencilled in for early August from a long way back, obviously the timeline matches up.

IF there was a draw after extra time last week, and kilmaley and Eire Og was that close, it would have gone to penalties. Not sure I like that idea as a way of settling a champ. match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Figerty wrote: »
    IF there was a draw after extra time last week, and kilmaley and Eire Og was that close, it would have gone to penalties. Not sure I like that idea as a way of settling a champ. match.

AFAIK it goes ET 2 x 10 mins, then EET 2 x 5 mins, then free taking
    Imagine if the Ballyea v Clooney Quin game went that long, we'd have to come back Sunday morning to finish it, either that or get out the torches and lights on the phones

I assume there is a provision for replays at the knockout stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

There's a 4 week wait for the winners of the winners round before their 1/4 final, which is too long given they've been waiting all summer to get going.

Don't forget that we are just looking at senior clubs here, there's a knock on to all other groups like intermediate and junior.

Personally I think the Monaghan program where they play the championship while intercounty is still ongoing is great, there's 16 clubs with let's say 30 players per club with 5 mentors, that's 560 people held up for intercounty. Let players play matches

Clareman wrote: »
    Don't forget that we are just looking at senior clubs here, there's a knock on to all other groups like intermediate and junior.

Personally I think the Monaghan program where they play the championship while intercounty is still ongoing is great, there's 16 clubs with let's say 30 players per club with 5 mentors, that's 560 people held up for intercounty. Let players play matches

And that allows someone else to be the hero or shine, not the lads who are running at 3/4 pace because they are county fit

Football
    Senior Rd 1
    Kilrush Shamrocks(1-13)v(2-8)Naomh Eoin O'Currys
    St Joseph's Miltown Malbay(1-16)v(1-12)Kilmihil
    Kilmurry Ibrickane(0-9)v(0-7)Lissycasey
    Ennistymon Football(1-11)v(1-8)Doonbeg
    Cratloe(1-18)v(0-10)Clondegad

Intermediate Rd 1
    Kilfenora(3-6)v(0-6)Liscannor
    St Joseph's Doora Barefield(0-11)v(1-8)Kildysart
    Ui Comhra(2-14)v(3-6)Naomh Sean Cill Chaoi
    Coolmeen(3-4)v(1-9)Éire Óg Ennis

Hurling this weekend

Sat 17th Aug 19
    Clarecastle(---)v(---)Cratloe
    Intermediate Hurling Championship Rd 2
    Newmarket-on-Fergus 1:00 PM

DHO'Callaghans Mills(---)v(---)Newmarket on Fergus
    Senior Hurling Championship Rd 2
    Sixmilebridge 1:30 PM

DHTulla(---)v(---)Wolfe Tones Shannon
    Clarecastle 2:30 PM

Clonlara(---)v(---)re Ennis
    Broadford 3:00 PM

DHKilmaley(---)v(---)Whitegate
    Sixmilebridge 3:00 PM

DHBodyke(---)v(---)Ruan
    Clarecastle 4:00 PM

DHClooney Quin(---)v(---)Clarecastle
    Shannon 4:30 PM

DHCrusheen(---)v(---)Feakle
    Cusack Park 4:45 PM

DHTubber(---)v(---)Corofin
    Tulla 4:45 PM

DHBroadford(---)v(---)St Joseph's Doora Barefield
    Shannon 6:00 PM

DHBallyea(---)v(---)Sixmilebridge
    Cusack Park 6:15 PM

DHScariff(---)v(---)Parteen
    Tulla 6:15 PM

Smith O'Brien(---)v(---)Inagh-Kilnamona
    Bodyke 6:15 PM

Sun 18th Aug 19
    Cratloe(---)v(---)Inagh-Kilnamona
    Cusack Park 12:00 PM

Sixmilebridge(---)v(---)Newmarket on Fergus
    Gurteen 12:00 PM

Killanena(---)v(---)re Ennis
    Crusheen 12:30 PM

Clare People has ceased publication. Pity, Sports coverage was good.
    Joe Muir was always entertaining. Clare Champion could do with him..

Figerty wrote: »
    Clare People has ceased publication. Pity, Sports coverage was good.
    Joe Muir was always entertaining. Clare Champion could do with him..

huge shame , the sports stuff was excellent , don't think the relations between joe o'muircheartaigh and peter o connell are great ,it seems derrick lynch has accused him of stealing an interview also with colm collins and reprinting it in the clare people today

it seems o'muircheartaigh isn't the most popular of journalists among the other journalists for some reason

• Advertisement

huge shame , the sports stuff was excellent , don't think the relations between joe o'muircheartaigh and peter o connell are great ,it seems derrick lynch has accused him of stealing an interview also with colm collins and reprinting it in the clare people today

it seems o'muircheartaigh isn't the most popular of journalists among the other journalists for some reason

Was looking at the Clare Champion last week.. it's gone very thing. I think DoneDeal was a disaster for local papers and Buy and Sell.

We could be getting back to match reporting now with the 'odd point in three lead' type of ****e reporting.

Funny thing was years ago I was playing in a match and the report in the Clare people had an author titled article with the scorer of a point wrong and the description had an error.. Low and behold, the Champion had the same mistake in an Article with no author listed. I'd say there was a fair bit of that going on..

Advertisement