Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Figerty

I'd say its club wexford that will be paying for it,

Very hard to see them not winning it out, Cratloe look a bit tired and Kilmaley are in a heap internally at the moment, Ballyea have only two scores at the moment, inagh maybe but like Crusheen maybe a year too early, especially for the younger lads on the paneld

Clonlara should be in that list. Probably favourites at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Very hard to see them not winning it out, Cratloe look a bit tired and Kilmaley are in a heap internally at the moment, Ballyea have only two scores at the moment, inagh maybe but like Crusheen maybe a year too early, especially for the younger lads on the paneld

SMB are the only club hurling team I've ever seen using the GPS tracking devices (or whatever the right term for them is) inside the back of their jerseys.

I still think they could be caught. Crusheen are motoring away nicely under the radar. If Kilmaley's internal woes don't affect them i fancy them to beat Cratloe. IK are another team that are going to make the breakthrough shortly in my opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Kilmaley won't beat Cratloe unless Cratloe are in a complete heap, I'm hearing that the players wanted Carmody gone but the club have suspended him for 2 week.

Clareman wrote: »
    Kilmaley won't beat Cratloe unless Cratloe are in a complete heap, I'm hearing that the players wanted Carmody gone but the club have suspended him for 2 week.

Could be messy still for them so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The ref saw what happened at the weekend and has noted it in his report, the manager who struck will/should get a 48 week ban, the player who attempted to retaliate might get a suspension as well, considering the county board have had a beef with Kilmaley for tweets earlier in the year I'd be surprised if there wasn't long bans handed out.
    Category V, striking or attempting to strike, or any type of assault on a referee, umpire, linesman or
    sideline official, gets you 48 weeks cooling your heels and if you do it again you get 96 weeks on the sideline.

• Advertisement

The ref saw what happened at the weekend and has noted it in his report, the manager who struck will/should get a 48 week ban, the player who attempted to retaliate might get a suspension as well, considering the county board have had a beef with Kilmaley for tweets earlier in the year I'd be surprised if there wasn't long bans handed out.

Just being pedantic here but at the same time knowing the Gaa and it's officials and their love of rules - players aren't mentioned in that rule so would it be covered technically I wonder?

Just being pedantic here but at the same time knowing the Gaa and it's officials and their love of rules - players aren't mentioned in that rule so would it be covered technically I wonder?

The weird thing is that the striking of a player by an official isn't covered by the rules by the looks of things, I'd say it'd be more likely for the manager to get off rather than the player.

In my opinion, any official who strikes any player for any reason should never be allowed a position of power within the GAA again

The weird thing is that the striking of a player by an official isn't covered by the rules by the looks of things, I'd say it'd be more likely for the manager to get off rather than the player.

In my opinion, any official who strikes any player for any reason should never be allowed a position of power within the GAA again

Agreed. I'm surprised at the club if that suspension is correct. No matter the circumstances a team manager should never act in that manner.

Agreed. I'm surprised at the club if that suspension is correct. No matter the circumstances a team manager should never act in that manner.

Personally I would have thought that it'd be a no-brainer that the club would suspend at least the Manager, maybe the player and the manager, until investigations had been completed, the fact that there'll probably be another round of the championship played before the county board gets involved tells me that they are just waiting to see if Kilmaley get knocked out, if they do I'd say there'll be a 1 year suspension handed out that won't really make a different, if they aren't knocked out they'll probably drag it out another few weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I remember a few years ago in the pissing rain Crusheen beat a well fancied SMB team in the county final. The worse the weather gets Crusheen seem to love it :)

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago in the pissing rain Crusheen beat a well fancied SMB team in the county final. The worse the weather gets Crusheen seem to love it :)

Yea, the same game wouldn't have gone ahead I'd say only that it was been broadcast live on TnaG.

Crusheen had a very good team then and won 2 county championships and had 2 lost before that.

They have a good share of those lads still knocking around plus a few good young lads coming through.

I don't think you are correct there. I doubt the ref saw it as it was in the middle of play. There's enough grey area there.
    The tweets were from an individual not the club. I have a feeling the club were making that known to the County board a long time ago.

Figerty wrote: »
    I don't think you are correct there. I doubt the ref saw it as it was in the middle of play. There's enough grey area there.
    The tweets were from an individual not the club. I have a feeling the club were making that known to the County board a long time ago.

The ref went over during the skirmish and said it would be noted in his report, what is actually in the report is anyone's guess.

The tweets were from an individual but the club will get the brunt of the flack, for example their new grounds might be closed for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

don't think it made the clare champions unless i missed it flicking through. i wonder would clare people have covered it if they were still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

don't think it made the clare champions unless i missed it flicking through. i wonder would clare people have covered it if they were still around?

I'd say it'd be the type of thing cover a little later than it happened, but then again... would be interesting to see, how quickly the County board requests the game footage (as is provided it) and if it shows anything

Talking to someone from another club and the story goes that the linesman saw the whole thing and brought it to the ref's attention who said he'd note it in his report.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

fergie o'loughlin mentioned it in the champion podcast earlier in the week ,both peter o'connell and derrick lynch were very reluctant to even acknowledge it

carmody showed serious arrogance in the whole incident , left the field after the game as if nothing had happened , sent whatsapp message to the team to be in the woodstock for recovery sunday and that was it , only 3 players turned up to training i believe on tuesday night

its an incredible story , i have no doubt eoin brennan would have delved into the story had the clare people not gone to the wall , the champion could really do with him

Talking to someone from another club and the story goes that the linesman saw the whole thing and brought it to the ref's attention who said he'd note it in his report.

i was at the game that's exactly how i saw it , carmody must have something on the county board to say nothing has been done up to now , this is a guy that has managed the clare senior camogie and a number of under age teams including the clare 21s a few years ago which didn't end anywhere near well results wise

Figerty wrote: »
    Clonlara should be in that list. Probably favourites at the moment.

you know the craic with clonlara as well as i do , they have a side good enough to field 15 intercounty players , most of them did play at some stage at minor 21s or senior level

how many of that team ever reached their potential at intercounty level , the two galvins and conlon

yet there best players at club level are guys like paudi or mikey o loughlin , nicky or totts , donal o donovan or oisin o'brien ect...

if they had been managed better they would have been a massive benefit to clare hurling , not that they were not , draw a line across them now i imagine they will get caught at some stage despite all the tallent

you know the craic with clonlara as well as i do , they have a side good enough to field 15 intercounty players , most of them did play at some stage at minor 21s or senior level

how many of that team ever reached their potential at intercounty level , the two galvins and conlon

yet there best players at club level are guys like paudi or mikey o loughlin , nicky or totts , donal o donovan or oisin o'brien ect...

if they had been managed better they would have been a massive benefit to clare hurling , not that they were not , draw a line across them now i imagine they will get caught at some stage despite all the tallent

True enough, they havne't delivered anywhere near their potential, and I think in a few years time when the cop on, they will realise they blew their chance to be regarded as one of the the great Clare Club teams and a place in history. However, if they decide collectively to pull together they can beat anyone.

Once a few key players move on, they could be an intermediate team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Treble double

The Dubs were back in West Clare last weekend on their annual visit in their preparation for the all Ireland.
    They drive for five didn't seem to be sitting heavy on their shoulders as the players enjoyed a few pints of stout in local hosteleries.
    Very refreshing to see them enjoying a social drink, in an age where you have lunatic managers with massive egos making monks of players on very average teams.
    If they do five they are officially the greatest gaa team of all time.

The Dubs were back in West Clare last weekend on their annual visit in their preparation for the all Ireland.
    They drive for five didn't seem to be sitting heavy on their shoulders as the players enjoyed a few pints of stout in local hosteleries.
    Very refreshing to see them enjoying a social drink, in an age where you have lunatic managers with massive egos making monks of players on very average teams.
    If they do five they are officially the greatest gaa team of all time.

agreed 100% , everyone will write them off as a professional team playing an amature sport , i dont think people realise the talent in the squad or the level of commitment some of them players have put in paul mannion would be a good example

both jim gavin and senan connell's fathers came from the same parrish in west clare and quite possibly played together in the past , they come down here for a bonding session at some stage every year which is huge for clubs here as they will give time to a few local underage teams too

diarmuid connolly for the reputation that surrounds him is an excellent ambassador when it comes to given time to underage teams here , its probably on par a with the kilkenny hurlers from the mid 00s visiting say somewhere like north antrim every year

i am not sure if it was always as civil as just a few pints :pac:, i think the first year they came down here all hell broke loose , think it was just after a leinster final , apparently craig dias went off the rails altogether and was shortly afterwards off the panel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Treble double

agreed 100% , everyone will write them off as a professional team playing an amature sport , i dont think people realise the talent in the squad or the level of commitment some of them players have put in paul mannion would be a good example

both jim gavin and senan connell's fathers came from the same parrish in west clare and quite possibly played together in the past , they come down here for a bonding session at some stage every year which is huge for clubs here as they will give time to a few local underage teams too

diarmuid connolly for the reputation that surrounds him is an excellent ambassador when it comes to given time to underage teams here , its probably on par a with the kilkenny hurlers from the mid 00s visiting say somewhere like north antrim every year

i am not sure if it was always as civil as just a few pints :pac:, i think the first year they came down here all hell broke loose , think it was just after a leinster final , apparently craig dias went off the rails altogether and was shortly afterwards off the panel :rolleyes:

You can have the most professional set up in the world but if you haven't got good players you will win sweet f.a. Put Jim Gavin in charge of Wicklow he will win nothing. It's all down to talented players the reason this Dublin team is on the brink of history is that they have once in a generation players in every line Stephen Cluxton, Johnny Cooper, James McCarthy, Brian Fenton, Ciaran Kilkenny, Con O Callaghan the list goes on. More luck to them. This is cyclical and won't last forever and fair play to them for maximising their success when they are on top, credit to Gavin for that, he is a steady hand at the wheel. They are entitled to their couple of stouts.

comfortable wins for KIB and last years runners up ennistymon in round 2 of the football championship today , both teams were pushed all the way in round one but had arms length wins against corofin and cooraclare respectively , cooraclare needed goalkeeper killian roche to kick 3 of there 8 scores from frees , they only managed 3 points in the second half , on the 9th 19th and 29th minutes , ennistymon now advance to the last 8 , doonbeg will play cooraclare for the 2nd place in the group

kilmurry ibrickane new star forward shown again in a comfortable win over corofin , daryn callinan kicked 1-6 as the bricks advanced to the last 8 , corofin put in a spirited performance up until the last 10 minutes , john keane having an excellent game for them , game ended in controversy when seamus clancy got a red card after confronting referee jim hickey after the full time whistle

number of games in the intermediate championship , kildysart , shannon gaels , o currys advance to the last 8 , the gaels win puts themselves and o'currys through ,kilkee out but went down fighting late on , also a comfortable win for st breckans over coolmeen in group 4

SFC

KIB 2-16 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, COROFIN 0-6

Daryn callinan 1-06,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, john keane 0-3
    keelan Sexton 0-4 '''''''''''''''''''''''Enda Collins 0-2
    Eamon Bracken 1-1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,jamie Malone 0-1
    Enda Coughlin 0-3
    Stephan maloney 0-1
    Shane Hickey 0-1

Ennistymon 2-13 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Cooraclare 0-8

Michael McDonagh 0-5,,,,,,,,,,,, Killian Roche 0-3
    Cathal Malone 1-1 ,,,,,,,,,,,, Pearse Lillis 0-2
    Cillian Rouine 0-2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Padraig O'Donohue 0-1
    Michael Leigh 0-1 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Colin Mcnamara 0-1
    Willie Murphy 0-1 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, jack Morrissey 0-1
    Sean McGonagilley 0-1
    Kevin Hehir 0-1

INTERMEDIATE Championship

Shannon Geals 4-12 Kilkee 3-10

Kildysart 3-12 Naomh Eoin 1-08

St Breckans 2-16 Coolmeen 2-05

again , the county board deserve great credit for putting the chanell together , here is the ennistymon v cooraclare game from today , my guess us the kilmaley v cratloe game will be the hurling game next week ,

for all our jabs at the board this is an excellent idea in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

A couple of Dublin team have Clare connections too. Diarmuid Connolly mother is from Liscannor. Sean Bugler late father was from Clare too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Gael85 wrote: »
    A couple of Dublin team have Clare connections too. Diarmuid Connolly mother is from Liscannor. Sean Bugler late father was from Clare too.

Any chance they could get bored of winning with Dublin and come play for us!!!

Should be a good game between eire og and Cratloe today in the football. Plenty of inter county talent on show anyway

Round up of the remaining games in the football championship , exhibitions from Gavin Cooney and Eoin Cleary Helped Eire OG and Miltown to impressive victories , Miltown through to the last 8

kilmihil saw off a plucky effort from the o'currys naomh eoin amalgamation ,thy will face off against kilrush in round 3 in two weeks time for a place in the 1/4 finals , kilrush had a day to forget being out scored 3-09 to 0-1 from play against the champions

Group 4

Eire OG 0-13 .................. 1-9 Cratloe

Gavin Cooney 0-10 ........... Podge Collins 0-4
    Eimhin Courtney 0-1 .......... Cathal Mcinerney 1-2
    Shane Daniels 0-1 ........... Conal O'hannlon 0-1
    Aidan Mcgrath 0-1 ............. Sean Collins 0-1
    .................................. Billy Connors 0-1
    Group 1

Kilmihil 0-15....................... 2-06 Naomh Eoin/O'Currys

Ciaran Downs 0-6.............. Owen Lynch 1-0
    Martin o'leary 0-3................ Nigal Murray 1-0
    David Lernihan 0-2............... Conor Magner 0-2
    David Ryan 0-2 ............... Thomas Clancy 0-2
    Dan Keating 0-1 ................ Odhran Lynch 0-1
    Sean Crowley 0-1 .............. Tony Smyth 0-1

Miltown 3-13 ..................... 0-06 Kilrush

Eoin Cleary 0-6 .................. Liam Madigan 0-3
    Cormac Murray 1-1 .............. Gearoid o'brien 0-2
    Michael Murray 1-1............... John Kelleher 0-1
    Kieran Malone 1-0
    Darragh McDonagh 0-2
    Oisin Looney 0-2
    Gordan Kelly 0-1

Intermediate Championship

Kilfenora 1-15 1-10 Wolfe Tones

Junior Championship 1/4 Finals

Michael Cusacks 1-09 0-7 Lissycasey (2)

The Banner 0-9 0-6 KIlmurry Ibrickane (2)

Ballyvaughan 3-09 3-09 Killimer

Meelick v Clooney/Quin TBP

[IMG][/img]g2TrHU.png rYHGqn.png mNzqKv.png nOqV6x.png uEpLY4.png d52jzC.png 3xs7tM.png goNtAO.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

Round up of the remaining games in the football championship , exhibitions from Gavin Cooney and Eoin Cleary Helped Eire OG and Miltown to impressive victories , Miltown through to the last 8

kilmihil saw off a plucky effort from the o'currys naomh eoin amalgamation ,thy will face off against kilrush in round 3 in two weeks time for a place in the 1/4 finals , kilrush had a day to forget being out scored 3-09 to 0-1 from play against the champions

Group 4

Eire OG 0-13 .................. 1-9 Cratloe

Gavin Cooney 0-10 ........... Podge Collins 0-4
    Eimhin Courtney 0-1 .......... Cathal Mcinerney 1-2
    Shane Daniels 0-1 ........... Conal O'hannlon 0-1
    Aidan Mcgrath 0-1 ............. Sean Collins 0-1
    .................................. Billy Connors 0-1
    Group 1

Kilmihil 0-15....................... 2-06 Naomh Eoin/O'Currys

Ciaran Downs 0-6.............. Owen Lynch 1-0
    Martin o'leary 0-3................ Nigal Murray 1-0
    David Lernihan 0-2............... Conor Magner 0-2
    David Ryan 0-2 ............... Thomas Clancy 0-2
    Dan Keating 0-1 ................ Odhran Lynch 0-1
    Sean Crowley 0-1 .............. Tony Smyth 0-1

Miltown 3-13 ..................... 0-06 Kilrush

Eoin Cleary 0-6 .................. Liam Madigan 0-3
    Cormac Murray 1-1 .............. Gearoid o'brien 0-2
    Michael Murray 1-1............... John Kelleher 0-1
    Kieran Malone 1-0
    Darragh McDonagh 0-2
    Oisin Looney 0-2
    Gordan Kelly 0-1

Intermediate Championship

Kilfenora 1-15 1-10 Wolfe Tones

Junior Championship 1/4 Finals

Michael Cusacks 1-09 0-7 Lissycasey (2)

The Banner 0-9 0-6 KIlmurry Ibrickane (2)

Ballyvaughan 3-09 3-09 Killimer

Meelick v Clooney/Quin TBP

Did you change your username Windy?

Advertisement