Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I'd agree that Alex Morey is worth a look. Mulready is a very good player ,alot of talent. What the 'Bridge always have is competition for all places. Theyve 4 senior teams and process an awful amount of players.. They are generally better coached than most Clare club teams too from underage upwards. It's a 'do your job' type of club and they never over do the celebrations or annoy other teams. The only team that they really dont like and the old men inthe club would make sure you know about it are Newmarket and that's for historical reasons.
    There'll be some fizz in the final with the 2 South east Clare parishes side by side. The Ard Scoil ris connections aswell. Interesting fact is alll the Limerick road/Orange street is in Sixmilebridge village but Cratloe parish.

To be fair they are a sound enough bunch, they get on with things, never really seen them brag or anything like that, but like Cratloe they have small groups of supporters as you said mainly older generations that will be baying for blood

Never knew the Cratloe border was as close, I imagine nó one calls it orange St anymore, to me that's either the road to limerick or the road to Tulla depending on which way you are facing 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

To be fair they are a sound enough bunch, they get on with things, never really seen them brag or anything like that, but like Cratloe they have small groups of supporters as you said mainly older generations that will be baying for blood

Never knew the Cratloe border was as close, I imagine nó one calls it orange St anymore, to me that's either the road to limerick or the road to Tulla depending on which way you are facing 😂

Yes not many call it 'Orange Street' but it's the official name. It's also on a limestone street plaque on the 'Olde House ' pub....the Tulla road is 'George's street' until outside the village. A throwback to the times of 'Auld Dacency'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Brian Lohan has allowed himself to be put forward for the Clare job according to RTE

RTE Link

I think it would be good to get a fresh face in there , while Moloney deserved the job at the time he has had his chance and should be told thanks and goodbye

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Why oh why do we have to keep going back to the team of the 90s???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Clareman wrote: »

Has anyone outside Lohan put themselves forward though ?
    It would be great if someone like Eddie Brennan went for it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If someone is putting themselves forward then they are really just applying for the job, I can't imagine anyone serious about it would be "putting themselves forward", for example Henry Shefflin isn't going to put himself forward because if he'd be alienating himself from every other job and if he didn't get the Clare job then all that would be said about him was he wasn't good enough for Clare.

The only person who will get the Clare job will be the person who's approved by the Don

If someone is putting themselves forward then they are really just applying for the job, I can't imagine anyone serious about it would be "putting themselves forward", for example Henry Shefflin isn't going to put himself forward because if he'd be alienating himself from every other job and if he didn't get the Clare job then all that would be said about him was he wasn't good enough for Clare.

The only person who will get the Clare job will be the person who's approved by the Don

unless there has been some falling out between the don and donal moloney it would appear he will be covering the hot seat until you know who returns

most people would call it strange as to why no official appointment has been made , not me however , to me this is normal :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

It's like trying to relive past glories with a name from yesteryear. Not sure what Lohan can offer tbh, great player 20 years ago though but thats just.me

Did he also not say recently enough he wouldn't take it under the current county board?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/lohan-says-clare-hurlers-lacking-proper-support-from-the-county-board-1.3907622

I'd be interested to know why Lohan thinks he's up to the job, he doesnt exactly have a stellar management career

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

I'd be interested to know why Lohan thinks he's up to the job, he doesnt exactly have a stellar management career

Neither did Ger Loughnane. As a player, braveness and resistance personified. He can't be discounted from offering something to the county that he has already served so magnificently.

• Advertisement

Neither did Ger Loughnane. As a player, braveness and resistance personified. He can't be discounted from offering something to the county that he has already served so magnificently.

24 years ago the GAA landscape was a lot different and Loughnane had a couple of years of being a selector under his belt.

Why oh why do us Clare people insist on going back to the 90s for everything???

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

The only person who is insisting we go back to the 90s for everything is Brian Lohan, he has put his name down for consideration.
    How that means Clare people have gone back to the 90s for everything is a leap?!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

The only person who is insisting we go back to the 90s for everything is Brian Lohan, he has put his name down for consideration.
    How that means Clare people have gone back to the 90s for everything is

Who honestly is putting their hands up except the players of the 90s. I think Lohan is taking on the Board by going for it. It's a brave move against a fairly inept County board. It would be interesting if he puts together a strong ticket..Jaime Wall is available and lives nearby.. Lohan did a good job with UL but he had a great team. Dalys stock has fallen after the shambles in Kilmacud this year. He is more of a media guy now I think.
    The cold facts are that theres rebuilding to be done and the cupboard is threadbare around the 19 to 23 age group. Clare in my estimation are 4th out of the 5 in Munster. Where they finished this year was accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Figerty

BloodyBill wrote: »
    How that means Clare people have gone back to the 90s for everything is

Who honestly is putting their hands up except the players of the 90s. I think Lohan is taking on the Board by going for it. It's a brave move against a fairly inept County board. It would be interesting if he puts together a strong ticket..Jaime Wall is available and lives nearby.. Lohan did a good job with UL but he had a great team. Dalys stock has fallen after the shambles in Kilmacud this year. He is more of a media guy now I think.
    The cold facts are that theres rebuilding to be done and the cupboard is threadbare around the 19 to 23 age group. Clare in my estimation are 4th out of the 5 in Munster. Where they finished this year was accurate.

I agree. I don't think anyone else is going to come forward. It's a pity that he didn't link with Donal Moloney and have a succession plan like Loughnane and Gaynor.

I think Clare are well behind Tipp and Limerick, a bit behind Cork and a bit in front of Waterford, we've a bunch of players who have a lot of mileage of the clock, we've probably 1 or 2 years left in this bunch of players, whoever we get will have to concentrate on motivation more than anything else in my opinion

I think Clare are well behind Tipp and Limerick, a bit behind Cork and a bit in front of Waterford, we've a bunch of players who have a lot of mileage of the clock, we've probably 1 or 2 years left in this bunch of players, whoever we get will have to concentrate on motivation more than anything else in my opinion

Would be interesting to know who the players want? I know we wont find that out, but would be very interesting. Might also affect motivation.

I'm not a big fan of players having too much input into who's going to manage them, after all they are going to manage them, in a work place you wouldn't have a manager vetted by staff before they got a job

For me, this team pretty much all have 1 All Ireland medal and a few under 21s, in my opinion they need someone who has more who has done more so they can say this is what it takes to be a multi All Ireland winners

I'm not a big fan of players having too much input into who's going to manage them, after all they are going to manage them, in a work place you wouldn't have a manager vetted by staff before they got a job

For me, this team pretty much all have 1 All Ireland medal and a few under 21s, in my opinion they need someone who has more who has done more so they can say this is what it takes to be a multi All Ireland winners

I agree, lohan has little managerial experience to qualify for the role, when you think of what people like Alan Cunningham and Louis Mulqueen have achieved as coaches lohan is nowhere near that level

Although I think lohan is making more of a stand against the board rather then actually looking for the job

How that means Clare people have gone back to the 90s for everything is a leap?!

To be fair, Dónal and gerry aside, every other manager we have had since Loughnane retired, came from the 1995 team

To be fair I didn't say the players should have any input at all, but it would be interesting to know where they are at.

• Advertisement

Yeah 3 games in 3 weeks again, can't afford to get caught cold after week 1 like we did this year

Away to Tipp is probably the worst week 1 game anyone could hope for, we could be facing into our second game well in last position but last year our best performance was our last performance so the 3 week thing doesn't bother me too much

Away to Tipp is probably the worst week 1 game anyone could hope for, we could be facing into our second game well in last position but last year our best performance was our last performance so the 3 week thing doesn't bother me too much

4 points will get a team out of there group, if we are to achieve this we would need to win our two home games against limerick and waterford, Cork away is nearly tougher then tipp in semple in my opinion, both incredibly tough games

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

We got 4 points this year and didn't get out of the group.

roashter wrote: »
    We got 4 points this year and didn't get out of the group.

Score difference killed us the tipperary game on its own let alone the limerick game afterwards, a warning for next year

4 points will get at least 1 team out of there group every year under this format

Kildysart the first team through to the intermediate football final, last year's runner's up are probably good enough to participate senior and probably long overdue a spot in the upper ranks but will be up against it in the final against either St Breckans or Doora/Barefield

https://mobile.twitter.com/KildysartGAA/status/1180488211887542274

I think 5 points is needed to be sure of qualifying, 4 and you are relying on other results going your way, you have to win your home games and pick something up on the road

SENIOR FOOTBALL SEMI FINAL

Miltown 1-16 1-12 Doonbeg

This looked like a strength forward assignment for the holders , faced against a doonbeg side that hat yet to win a championship match within 60 minutes , the 2019 champions got of to a perfect start ,

leading 0-11 to-02 at one point miltown held a 10 point lead at the break 0-13 to 0-3 ,

doonbeg made them work in the second half however kicking 5 points without reply ,and with 10 minutes to go an eoin tubridy point brought it back to 4 and game on

the holders kicked on again with a eoin cleary point his 6th of the day along with a cormac murray 1-1 in the last 10 minutes to see the game out, doonbeg got a late goal from eoin tubridy but it was too little too late for the magpies l

cormac murray 1-4 Eoin cleary 0-6 , darragh mcdonagh 0-3 , Brian curtin 0-2 , Conor Cleary 0-1

doonbeg
    david tubridy 0-7 Eoghan tubridy 1-2 , shane ryan 0-2 , enda doyle 0-1

Senior B Semi Final
    https://twitter.com/EireOgInisGAA/status/1180471919537262592

kilmihil 2-11 0-14 lissycasey

a Fine performance by conor finucane wasn't enough to help lissycasey over the line in the consolation competition for 1/4 final losers , kilmihil will play either eire og in the final

kilmihil scorers

ciaran downes 0-5 ,mark coughlan 1-0 , dan keating 1-0
    Martin o'leary 0-2 jack browne 0-1 , david egan 0-1,sean crowley 0-1

Lissycasey

Conor finucane 0-8 ,enda finucane 0-2 , aaron griffin 0-2 , francie hayes 0-1
    ryan griffin 0-1

intermediate championship semi final

Kildysart 1-15 0-9 Shannon gaels

Shannon gales made this a competitive fixture for 45 minutes before last years runners up pulled away in the end

leading by just two points at half time kildysart held an arms length lead for the bulk of the second half before a late brian eyres penalty put a gloss on the score

young diarmuid o'donnell and emmett mcmahon put themselves on colm collins rader again today with some excellent displays , while kildysart will have to have their work cut out to beat either st breckans or doora/barefield in the final its only a matter of time before they get promoted you would feel

kildysart scorers

emmitt mcmahon 0-5 diarmuid o'donnell 0-3 luke mcgrath 0-3 bryan eyres 1-0 , robert eyres 0-2
    neil o'connor 0-1 , Rory McMahon 0-1

Remarkable to think the 2003 and 2005 munster senior football finalists kilkee are on the verge of being relegated to junior , they will meet there fierce rivals naomh eoin in the relegation final , they are now favorites for the drop

https://twitter.com/BrennanEoin/status/1180501542866046976

• Advertisement

Clare Champion running this story tonight , i would be 100% behind this appointment

coach for loughnane from 1995 to 1998
    managed Doora/barefield to their first county championship in 1998
    went on to win the 1998 munster hurling championship
    won the 1999 all ireland club championship
    retained the munster club championship in 1999
    all ireland runners up 2000
    part of the u21 coaching staff that won the 3 in a row between 2012 and 2014
    coach for davey from 2012 to 2016 winning both all ireland and national leagues

led liam mellows as manager to their first galway title in 47 years in 2017

probably holds the best CV in clare hurling as manager or coach , and should not be ignored his chance in my opinion

https://twitter.com/ClareChampion/status/1180574693608316928

Advertisement