Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

Clare Champion running this story tonight , i would be 100% behind this appointment

coach for loughnane from 1995 to 1998
    managed Doora/barefield to their first county championship in 1998
    went on to win the 1998 munster hurling championship
    won the 1999 all ireland club championship
    retained the munster club championship in 1999
    all ireland runners up 2000
    part of the u21 coaching staff that won the 3 in a row between 2012 and 2014
    coach for davey from 2012 to 2016 winning both all ireland and national leagues --

led liam mellows as manager to their first galway title in 47 years in 2017

probably holds the best CV in clare hurling as manager or coach , and should not be ignored his chance in my opinion

https://twitter.com/ClareChampion/status/1180574693608316928

Would have Mulqueen ahead of Lohan. Didn't realise he was involved in Clare backroom team 95-97? Thought he came into Clare setup under Loughnane when it didn't work out with Sean Stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Gael85 wrote: »
    Would have Mulqueen ahead of Lohan. Didn't realise he was involved in Clare backroom team 95-97? Thought he came into Clare setup under Loughnane when it didn't work out with Sean Stack.

i could be wrong but as far as i know he worked for len gaynor before loughnane took over , behind the scenes when loughnane took over and selector for cyril lyons after that

either way he has some serious cv , as i said yesterday i think all lohan is doing is putting pressure on the county board to sort things out

SENIOR FOOTBALL SEMI FINAL

Miltown 1-16 1-12 Doonbeg

cormac murray 1-4 Eoin cleary 0-6 , darragh mcdonagh 0-3 , Brian curtin 0-2 , Conor Cleary 0-1

doonbeg
    david tubridy 0-7 Eoghan tubridy 1-2 , shane ryan 0-2 , enda doyle 0-1

https://twitter.com/BrennanEoin/status/1180501542866046976

i understand a number of scorers are wrong in some of the posts , most of which have been taken from twitter reports or whatscor app ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

i could be wrong but as far as i know he worked for len gaynor before loughnane took over , behind the scenes when loughnane took over and selector for cyril lyons after that

either way he has some serious cv , as i said yesterday i think all lohan is doing is putting pressure on the county board to sort things out

Any idea Mulqueen who would have in his backroom team? County board are shambles leaving the appointment so late. Any chance of Conor McGrath or Cathal McInerney switching over to Clare footballers?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I think I the main issue with Mulqueen is a lack of charisma. He just looks like a backroom member and doesnt have as much 'front of shop' experience as I would like. Hes got no playing profile and that's as much of an issue as it was for the last 2 managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Donal Moloney has withdrawn from consideration for the position
    Due to the ongoing uncertainty over the process of selecting new management and despite the support I have received from the hurling squad, I do not wish to inhibit members of the existing management team and persons who had committed to coming on board for 2020 from missing out on opportunities as other counties put together their coaching teams. As a management team therefore, we have taken the decision to not seek another term.

“On behalf of the management team, I would like to thank the players for creating such a fantastic environment over many years and for the honesty of effort and commitment they have shown to their families, friends, their clubs and to their county. They have brought great honour to the Clare jersey in the 12 years I have been involved in intercounty management since 2007 from U16 level up to the senior team. I wish the group the very best for the future. I want to thank Club Clare Hurling Supporters for its invaluable support during the past three years. I also wish the incoming management team the very best for 2020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

We got d final kib v miltown #whatoddspaddy #graham Kelly sent off him miltown yup

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I think I the main issue with Mulqueen is a lack of charisma. He just looks like a backroom member and doesnt have as much 'front of shop' experience as I would like. Hes got no playing profile and that's as much of an issue as it was for the last 2 managers.

Interms of coaching he is light year's ahead of lohan, as a candidate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Donal Moloney has withdrawn from consideration for the position

He has poorly treated in this process imo, regardless of whether he should have stayed or gone. It's October and still no-one appointed. Mickey mouse stuff from the CB.

Thanks to Donal and Gerry for all their work, they achieved quite a bit in their time. Best of luck to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Figerty

Interms of coaching he is light year's ahead of lohan, as a candidate

He might be ahead of Lohan in terms of Coaching,, but if you are going out to win a battle who would you bring? Lohan.

Manger vs Coach in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Amazing that these 4 clubs are the only ones to win a championship this decade and their all there on the last year.. and that Miltown KIB final is cursed has nearly happened every year but they haven't even met at any stage which is a pity.
    The curse is over lol ;) some final hon miltown yup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

tototoe wrote: »
    He has poorly treated in this process imo, regardless of whether he should have stayed or gone. It's October and still no-one appointed. Mickey mouse stuff from the CB.

Thanks to Donal and Gerry for all their work, they achieved quite a bit in their time. Best of luck to both.

I think it's about time we get a change of the CB to be honest, people need to seriously make a mark about this

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

A strange man, lots of strange men manage Clare.

A strange man, lots of strange men manage Clare.

Please... Do continue....

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Donal Moloney was disgracefully treated here, what would you expect with Pat Fitz though, not a hope Lohan gets it,Louis would be tight with Davey too. That's that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Donal Moloney was disgracefully treated here, what would you expect with Pat Fitz though, not a hope Lohan gets it,Louis would be tight with Davey too. That's that then.

He was left hanging for months. Very very bad form from Pat Fitz and his cohorts. Tony Considine might have been onto something with the 'mafia' label he came up with on the radio after his own term was ended, for its near enough a crime family running Clare GAA. Donal Moloney is an honourable man who's proven a winner in life and sport and an achiever in education and business and having to issue a statement in October to try and scramble to regain some level of dignity is beyond the pale of acceptability. Bad form. Then again what would people expect from this rabble? An Clár Abú.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

He was left hanging for months. Very very bad form from Pat Fitz and his cohorts. Tony Considine might have been onto something with the 'mafia' label he came up with on the radio after his own term was ended, for its near enough a crime family running Clare GAA. Donal Moloney is an honourable man who's proven a winner in life and sport and an achiever in education and business and having to issue a statement in October to try and scramble to regain some level of dignity is beyond the pale of acceptability. Bad form. Then again what would people expect from this rabble? An Clár Abú.

I'd agree he was treated very badly but he should have been smart enough to know that he should have resigned with Gerry. Their tenure was not a success. It was close to being a success but ultimately it ended in failure. Theres alot of rebuilding work to be done and Lohan could be abit of fresh air. Mulqueen is a good coach by all accounts but if hes friendly with the Fitzgeralds I wouldnt like him to get the job.
    On a broader note, the county board needs replacing en mass as has been stated in the media. Its stale, non questioning, rudderless and the worst thing about it is the lack of an overall GAA plan or vision. Now I'm not asking for a quota of ethnic minorities or 30% women but I would like to see some people from outside the GAA on it and some people under the age of 40

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What's getting to me about all this is the arrogance of some of the people involved, Moloney for assuming that he'd just be allowed have the gig when he has had 3 years as joint manager and hasn't won anything, Lohan for thinking that just because he's a former player that he should get the gig and the county board for saying nothing.

In my opinion if Mulqueen gets the job it's just to keep the seat warm for Davy to come back, I'd like to see someone from outside the county get the job, someone like Henry Shefflin would be a great appointment but that would be too much of a risk for the county board so that won't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Clareman wrote: »
    What's getting to me about all this is the arrogance of some of the people involved, Moloney for assuming that he'd just be allowed have the gig when he has had 3 years as joint manager and hasn't won anything, Lohan for thinking that just because he's a former player that he should get the gig and the county board for saying nothing.

In my opinion if Mulqueen gets the job it's just to keep the seat warm for Davy to come back, I'd like to see someone from outside the county get the job, someone like Henry Shefflin would be a great appointment but that would be too much of a risk for the county board so that won't happen

What are you on about, Moloney stated he was willing to stay on after Gerry left, where is the arrogance in that exactly? It was the logical move for him and indeed for the county board as he would have been au fait with the set-up and the players too. If the county board didn't want him to continue they should have let him know a couple of months ago.
    The support clearly wasn't there for him though.
    Brian Lohan has just announced that he would be willing to be considered for the job, yes he is a former player but he also has coaching pedigree with UL which you seem to be unwilling to accept. Again what is wrong with him applying for the job?
    Why you think Henry Shefflin is a better fit than Brian Lohan I have no idea, he's just a marquee name with limited coaching experience much like Brian Lohan.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Moloney won three Munster and three all-Ireland under-21 titles as well as success at minor level. Based on that success with Gerry O'Connor, they were granted a chance at senior level. They came within the width of a post of reaching an all-Ireland final last year. They were flashes of excellence and ultimately they didn't produce. No one doubts that.

Gerry O'Connor left but the idea that Donal Moloney displayed any 'arrogance' in waiting to be appointed on his own is utterly ridiculous. He wanted the job and with few if any apparent alternatives or even noteworthy candidates, was fully within his rights in seeking the job outright. He was left to stew by a county board since June and ultimately was left to end his time in a very undignified manner several months later because no one would give the man the time of day. Shameful.

Brian Lohan and Anthony Daly are personas non gratas with the county board for varying reasons it seems and Louis Mulqueen is being drafted in to warm the seat for Davy for a year or so. It's a re-run of Sparrow from 2011.

Henry Shefflin is 40, has a young family, a busy job with an offshoot of Bank Of Ireland which takes him to several counties including Kildare on any given day as well as media related work for RTÉ. He has a burgeoning coaching career with Ballyhale and is widely expected to take the reigns from Brian Cody with Kilkenny eventually.

In the name of God why would Henry Shefflin even consider taking over the Clare team? What a bizarre suggestion!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What are you on about, Moloney stated he was willing to stay on after Gerry left, where is the arrogance in that exactly? It was the logical move for him and indeed for the county board as he would have been au fait with the set-up and the players too. If the county board didn't want him to continue they should have let him know a couple of months ago.
    The support clearly wasn't there for him though.
    Brian Lohan has just announced that he would be willing to be considered for the job, yes he is a former player but he also has coaching pedigree with UL which you seem to be unwilling to accept. Again what is wrong with him applying for the job?
    Why you think Henry Shefflin is a better fit than Brian Lohan I have no idea, he's just a marquee name with limited coaching experience much like Brian Lohan.

He has said that the reason that he's not gonig forward now is because of "Due to the ongoing uncertainty over the process of selecting new management", he said that he wanted to have a go at the job on his own, the County Board clearly doesn't think he's up to it, if they did think he was up to it he would have been selected straight away.

I don't think 2 Fitzgibbon titles with UL is that great of a record to be honest.

Someone like Henry Shefflin would be good I think, someone who has multiple all Ireland's won that the players can look up to.

Moloney won three Munster and three all-Ireland under-21 titles as well as success at minor level. Based on that success with Gerry O'Connor, they were granted a chance at senior level. They came within the width of a post of reaching an all-Ireland final last year. They were flashes of excellence and ultimately they didn't produce. No one doubts that.

Gerry O'Connor left but the idea that Donal Moloney displayed any 'arrogance' in waiting to be appointed on his own is utterly ridiculous. He wanted the job and with few if any apparent alternatives or even noteworthy candidates, was fully within his rights in seeking the job outright. He was left to stew by a county board since June and ultimately was left to end his time in a very undignified manner several months later because no one would give the man the time of day. Shameful.

Brian Lohan and Anthony Daly are personas non gratas with the county board for varying reasons it seems and Louis Mulqueen is being drafted in to warm the seat for Davy for a year or so. It's a re-run of Sparrow from 2011.

Henry Shefflin is 40, has a young family, a busy job with an offshoot of Bank Of Ireland which takes him to several counties including Kildare on any given day as well as media related work for RTÉ. He has a burgeoning coaching career with Ballyhale and is widely expected to take the reigns from Brian Cody with Kilkenny eventually.

In the name of God why would Henry Shefflin even consider taking over the Clare team? What a bizarre suggestion!

Someone like Henry Shefflin, I think it's about time we went outside of the county for a manager, there's only a couple of years left in the current crop of players so we need to get someone who will get the most out of the players in a quick timeframe, we know the players are good enough it's just they aren't producing it

He has said that the reason that he's not gonig forward now is because of "Due to the ongoing uncertainty over the process of selecting new management", he said that he wanted to have a go at the job on his own, the County Board clearly doesn't think he's up to it, if they did think he was up to it he would have been selected straight away.

I don't think 2 Fitzgibbon titles with UL is that great of a record to be honest.

Someone like Henry Shefflin would be good I think, someone who has multiple all Ireland's won that the players can look up to.

Davy had two Fitzgibbon titles with LIT over about 15 years!
    Lohans record at that level is superior! He even has a Fitzgibbon medal with UL as a player and player of the tournament.

2 All_Irelands with Clare, 3 Munsters, Championships with Wolfe Tones, Munster Club with Tones etc. All-ireland final at Club level.

If players don't look up to that, then what do the want to look up to?

There'll be some players on the panel who weren't born when he was playing. Davy won 2 Fitzgibbons while managing other teams as well and UL have far more resources than UL

There'll be some players on the panel who weren't born when he was playing. Davy won 2 Fitzgibbons while managing other teams as well and UL have far more resources than UL

That's true, there are others on many county teams the same. Brian Cody has retired from work at this stage same thing applies and retired from County hurling long before he was a manager. Lohan is in the same mould as Cody.
    Davy was not short of resources in LIT. Don't let the spin he put out fool anyone. He had no shortage of anything he needed.
    He also had Joe Canning available on one team and Eoin Kelly among others available.

Lohan has been building a business and has family, so can you imagine the load in that. I have no affiliation to Brian Lohan at all. I believe that he should be given the job if he is the best candidate for it.

The problem is that i have zero confidence in those picking the candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

The “back room” team will be important in selecting a candidate , interesting to see who they have assembled

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Treble double

Clare on the opposite side of the draw to Kerry and Cork in the Munster Football championship a big opportunity to get to a final. A real motivation factor for the panel when they go back to the slog of pre season training.
    It's a pity that we will be without three of our best players for the championship, Gary Brennan, Jamie Malone and Aaron Fitzgerald.
    On the bright side we have a manager who has a real gra for the game in the county and has knowledge of every man that's kicking a ball in every part of the county and he will make a few telling additions to the panel like he has every year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭shockframe

Clare on the opposite side of the draw to Kerry and Cork in the Munster Football championship a big opportunity to get to a final. A real motivation factor for the panel when they go back to the slog of pre season training.
    It's a pity that we will be without three of our best players for the championship, Gary Brennan, Jamie Malone and Aaron Fitzgerald.
    On the bright side we have a manager who has a real gra for the game in the county and has knowledge of every man that's kicking a ball in every part of the county and he will make a few telling additions to the panel like he has every year

I'd say the open draw this year is a last throw of the dice by the Munster Council in the threat of overall restructuring.

It was fine as long as the other provinces were some bit competitive but Dublin cruising through Leinster has pointed an uncomfortable spotlight on Munster.

Too little too late. They didn't mind too much when the seeded draw was brought in. I'm not hugely in favour of 2 tiers but it might nearly be better for the sake of the 5 munster counties if it's taken out of the provinces hands.

Colm Collins had it right. 5 out of 6 years they have had to play Kerry. Even now they play Tipp for the first time in nearly 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭fire_man

Is Gary Brennan taking year out in 2020?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Special meeting called for tomorrow night - only item on the agenda is the clare senior hurling management.

Advertisement