Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

As a close follower of Sixmilebridge hurling there's a huge majority that want to take their medicine. The rules were there. There's a few noisey eejits that want to appeal and are pushing hard. As my father said ' Any year you lose to the 'Mills you don't deserve to remain in the County Championship' and I think we lost twice to them. That bridge teams management is dire and there's a culture of drinking that's become acceptable has never been in a Sixmilebridge set up before. Sixmilebridge has big problems. Tonnes of players but not that much talent right now. Some poor coaches and this 'culture ' of going out on the town together is alien enough to Sixmilebridge. There were great Bridge teams where fellas from different parts of the parish barely knew each other but were all business when it came to hurling. Management is dire in the club right now

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Appeal what exaclty Peggy, the rule is very clear.

Has anyone asked the Sixmilebridge deleagte who attended last years County Board AGM what way he voted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

The interloper from Wexford here again.

This was actually a rule change at National Congress in January, that applies across the board - Rule 6.21(5)(c) in Part 1 of this year's Rule Book, if anybody wants to look up.

Wouldn't necessarily have been discussed at Clare's Convention (i.e. AGM), but would surely have been dealt with at a January Co. Board meeting to decide how Clare would vote on Congress motions. Unfortunately however, nature of these things is that clubs often don't fully consider them first, and club delegates to Co. Board don't fully understand them.

For what it's worth, the rule does make provision for Clare (or any other county) to bring in their own bye-laws to return to overall scoring difference as the primary means of separating teams involved in a three-or-more-way tie. So it could be done that way for next year if your clubs wanted it to, but it can't be done retrospectively for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Yes I am aware it applies accross the board, it was a club in Tipperary who put the motion in - the original intention was to mitigagte circuamstances where a walkover was given in a group thus messing up the score differences.

Whether it was convention or a regular county board meeting there would have been a delegate from Sixmilebridge there, saying that the delegate or indeed the club might not have understood the motion is completly irrelevant, thats literally their job!

My original question still applies, what are the grounds for an appeal? Ignorance of the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I was looking at the age profile of the team that played the mills last Friday night and the intermediate team on Saturday,

Surly it's time the bridge use their two squads better, especially for bringing through the younger lads,

They have loads of young players on the intermediate panel that were really good underage but never get a look in for the seniors

It seems to be a closed shop at the moment, last Friday could have been embarrassing for the bridge but for seadna and Cathal Malone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Okay. Was just clarifying the mechanics of how the rule came into being in the first place.

I'd say a delegate or a club not knowing, not understanding, or not remembering a motion or a rule change is unfortunate rather than irrelevant. Highly unfortunate that they didn't do what I agree is literally their job. But highly relevant when or if the time comes that they complain about it sometime later.

Anyway, I see absolutely no grounds for appeal here. To borrow a phrase from another sphere, ignorance of the law is no defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

Conor Ryan came on for Cratloe today, still a young man, would it be too much of a dream to think he could tog out for the Clare hurlers again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If you read this interview from a few years back , hard to imagine a return to inter county and all the demands that brings https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/the-doctor-told-me-my-body-was-broken-how-all-ireland-winner-conor-ryans-life-was-turned-upside-down/36537941.html

still though, curious how he gets on with Cratloe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭fire_man

Anyone at Clondegad and Miltown game,what kind of standard was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gaa goes

Cormac Murray is worthy of a call up to Mark Fitzgeralds Clare team for next years league. He is very impressive, the Miltown man.

Overall the standard of Clare club football has reached new depths of despair. Lateral handpassing, a refusal to kick, any frees a team gets goes 20 yards backwards and 14 men behind the game. And poor attempts at scoring to make matters worse.

Yes Eire Og are the standard bearers but my goodness the game in Clare has reached a serious crisis. Even Derrick Lynch on the radio pulled no punches about the dire state of football in the county.

A big task awaits Mark Fitzgerald and his management team next year for sure. Colm Collins must be Clare equivalent of Lazarus what he did for Clare football for us to be so competitive for so long, in spite of the poor state of football in the county.

• Advertisement

poor just watched it back , taught miltown had progressed from last year , they have not , need eoin back

to be fair ,cormac murray and cian mahoney are doing some job holding the fort

clare gaa had 3 live games this weekend , they showcased the really good and the brutally bad standard of the game at the moment

rory and emett mcmahon yesterday were top class along with seamus casey and kieran o brien , dark horses the estuary men ar for the championship

but i was at the cratloe ennistymon game yesterday , eire og v doonbeg today and just watched miltown v clondegad , we need to start relegating 2 teams a year if this many teams just want to avoid relegation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Former Limerick manager and Kerins O'Rahilly's player

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Treble double

People are confusing poor standards with entertainment value in the Clare club football championship. I would argue that the players are at a higher standard of skill and conditioning than ever before and players now are as good and better than anything in the past. The spectacle however is not as entertaining as what has gone before, there is less chaos in the games now because every team is coached within an inch of their lives to hold onto possession. The ball isn't being kicked, man to man battles are a thing of the past and a 50/50 skirmish for a ball is rarely seen. The club supporter craves all the above so is left empty by what he is watching. The forwards are as good if not better than ever but they are plying their trade against teams with 13 players defending, so every score is alot harder earned. I believe standards in Clare club football are as high as any div 2 counties in the country and some div 1, but the spectacle is not what supporters crave.

If you trawl YouTube you will find footage of club games from Clare in the late 70s, 80s and 90s, if anyone suggests that they were of a higher standard of what is on display today, I'd worry about their knowledge, some of the stuff going back towards the early 80s was comical but it was of its time and you can be sure if there was social media back then lads would be online bemoaning the state of football in the county and talking about the glory days of the 50s and 60s. Football is always being knocked and especially in Clare but I would love to know what people think is the perfect way the game should be played

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

i would love to see some of them games if there are still links available , i have seen a fer late 90s county finals, the taught process back then is not the same as today

i agree totally what your saying about standards though , most people complaining dont watch football outside this county so how would they know anyway

• Advertisement

a really good call from the county board , to be fair i was over on the limerick page not long ago singing the same mans prises , he done a serious job with them in such a short notice

a few lads chickened out of the clare job because we will be down a few lads next year , A long term mistake if you ask me ,

david Clifford in fairness is a different animal to any other player in the country, you cant compare our standard to that , i am talking about the other 20 to 25 championships outside the likes of kerry , dublin ,galway , mayo or tyrone ect...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Figerty

That's true.. you are right.. that video is the Kerry Intermediate championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gaa goes

the Eire Og senior footballers coach Seanie Buckley will be the coach to the Clare senior footballers for 2024, as incoming manager Mark Fitzgerald continues to add to his management team. Mark will be ratified to become Colm Collins’ successor at a Clare county board September meeting tonight.

Buckley has some job done with the townies back to back county titles and hard to see them being beaten for the 3 in a row, Fitzgerald might not be high profile but that is a great coach to have on his ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

This weekends Clare Gaa TV games

Senior Hurling Draws

Management teams for 2024 ratified this evening for Clare

Senior Hurling: Brian Lohan (full backroom team TBC next month)

Senior football: Mark Fitzgerald for 2 years, with Seanie Buckley head coach. Others TBC

U20 football: Michael Neylon

U20 hurling: Terence Fahy

Minor football: Dermot Coughlan with Joe Hayes as coach

Minor hurling: Brian O’Connell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Tempted to back the Éire Óg Football/Hurling Double.

If they beat Clonlara in the Hurling they'll win it out. Especially if it's Shane O'Donnell's swansong for the immediate future I can see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hearing Conor Dolan and Wolfe Tones have parted ways before their Relegation Match!

Have to say, he has an incredibly high turnover rate in the roles he’s been in. Wouldn’t know much about him personally etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

I wouldn't be so sure on the hurling. While a lot pf the big guns are gone I still think there are a few club left who could take them down.

Advertisement