Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

They stopped considering fans years ago in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭High bike

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Hahaha good one.

We're not fans, we're revenue streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

Are Clare management about to repeat the same mistakes again by not giving more panellists players proper game time?

how are they genuinely going to find out the true strength or otherwise of this current squad if they are not even going to be tried in the first game of League

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Shur SuperValu and the rugby lads are doing that.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭High bike

it looks that way , lohan will try and defend his selection by saying he is trying out david mc at 6 if john conlon is injured ect.. . how about starting john conelley there , starting cathal malone instead of sean rynne is ridiculous , both senior players mentioned are shoe in starters come championship give the 20s lads a proper run at this level

i dont think he has learned anything from his mistakes on the line , if we won even a league title this year i would pardon the man but i will be roaring for brian o'connell to take over later in the year if nothing changes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Is the bringing in of Bugler a doubling down on the sweeper? I hear Bugler is a sweeper man. That said, O'Connell loves a sweeper too. At minor level, anyway. He put a sweeper in front of young Tom Delaney (who was being marked by the full back). He also withdrew Jack O'Neill deep. Very defensive mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Maybe they’ll put more stock in the league this year. It never did Limerick or Kilkenny any harm. Or maybe they really want to win a trophy, any trophy.

Today’s game was pretty good and competitive for so early in the league. In the past watching league games (especially under Lohan) was like watching a challenge match.

I think we came in a bit cold in our opening championship game last year v Tipp. Some players hadn’t played a minute of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

A good start but cork are not the barometer of where we need to be. As the saying goes you can only beat what's in front of you but far bigger tests ahead.

• Advertisement

i have several complaints on yesterday , but really good win at the same time

it seems nobody has watched a video back from the game against killkenny in terms of tackling

aidan mccarthy as full forward will not work

what was the point in starting cathal malone , david mc , conor cleary who only have a year or two left and then bring on keith smyth ,shane meehan ect for a couple of minutes at the end

the footballers were punished by more bad referring , aaron griffin was deemed to be in the square for this goal in the 73rd minute , westmeath went down the field to score the wining point after this

https://x.com/Rory1063/status/1754252420593434953?s=20

any good manager is situational , bar mr fitz who just plays a sweeper to prove to the rest of the country hes not for changing , you are right about brian , but he did ditch the tactic in the tipperary game and when not needed in the munster final , in truth our strengths in that minor team bar gunning were in the forwards

given that brian lohan spent years giving out about Davey fitzs sweeper system , then lined out with the same tactic last summer v kilkenny , shows just how quickly the wind can change in clare ( must be the atlantic)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

It was Cormac Murray who punched the ball into the net and was way outside the square when the ball was played. The Ref was also playing advantage, so why didn't he go back for the free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Seadin

Yes you are correct. To be honest I didn't expect Cork to win yesterday but I thought they were so poor, they were worse than I expected. I thought they be more fight in them and in general thought they be more competitive against you. Clare were going very well to be fair. No complaints, Clare full value for their win and have plenty to improve on as well going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Cork will be dangerous come championship. I saw enough green shoots from them Sunday to be positive . Yes they fell away in the 3rd quarter but they came back strong and if Sneada Morey didn't get that goal anything could have happened.

Clare were good..impressive overall but we give away alot of scores. You couldn't say any Clare back was bad but they don't seem to stop their men getting scores..I heard we had the biggest concession rate of any team in the top 7 last year. Is that correct?

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Just from Munster Championship Round Robin anyway:

Clare conceded 105

Lim conceded 103

Tipp conceded 115

Wat conceded 97

Cork conceded 111

So Clare in the Round Robin had a middling defensive record but again, the Tipp match skews it a lot. 5-22 (37) makes their overall concession look bad.

Clare conceded 9 goals in their 4 Round Robin games but that's skewed slightly by the Tipp opener with the 5 goals shipped you could say.

What I find interesting about Munster is of the 9 home/away matches, only 4 were won by the home team.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Treble double

In fairness to Cork they seem to be only county that are trying to come up with a different gameplan to beat Limerick. They are sticking with this running precision passing game and hoping that it will run the legs off the big bulky Limerick players who have a lot of heft to carry around the pitch. Cork are a long way from being perfect in what they are doing but at least they are trying something different. As far as I can see every other county is trying to get big men into there team to try and match Limericks size but the problem is all Limericks hulks are quality hurlers, other counties hulks don't seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Size doesn't make you slow either. No one is going to out run a Kyle Hayes. He's a freak of nature as is Sean Finn. But the overall point is correct.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Treble double

You are right size doesn't make you slow, but what size does is it wears you out quicker if you are being dragged left right and centre. Some team needs to run the legs off this Limerick team, trying to match them physically is a waste of time. Cork seem to be the only team trying to develop such a gameplan, but maybe that's because that's in their DNA. I will say there execution of that gameplan has been very poor so far and maybe they don't have good enough hurlers to do it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Cork can’t play any other way. Their minor and under 20 teams play like the seniors. Their club teams in the Munster championships usually play the same way.

It works better at underage than senior. They never play direct. The current senior team are fairly good at what they do, but they failed to win three tight games in Munster last year. When you spend so long trying to play like that in training it has to be much harder than it should be to defend against a team that is more direct.

Its amazing that the style is so distinctive, has not delivered an All Ireland since 2005 and yet as the league starts they stick with it again. Their puck out strategy on Sunday with a gale behind them was farcical and failed utterly.

They should have beaten our under 20s well last year, but only just got past them and I’d put how close the game was down to the respective styles.

Our teams for the last few years have been well able to mix it, can be direct or tippy tappy. Plenty of ball players and then we have options like Duggan, Fitz and Shanagher.

Lohan has given Clare a serious shot in arm since he took over. We have our own style and our work rate is always high, something that was very poor the year before he took over. You can ctiticise some of his decisions, but he has got us closer to Limerick than anyone else and a big part of that was him having the self belief to have his team playing sensible hurling.

Reidy and young Lohan made two great hooks on Sunday, I don’t think Cork players would have made them, the expectation wouldn’t be there. Cathal Malone almost certainly wouldn’t have made the Cork panel but he has been one of the most important players in the last two Munster championships. He was absolutely massive in the first half of the Munster final last year, broke up heaps of Limerick attacks. He’s a fantastic asset.

Maybe it’s strange to say given the two counties reputations but I think we are light years ahead of Cork in terms of our approach to hurling. What I can’t understand is why they never see it. Our lads played a ridiculous Cork style in the 2017 Munster final, but there was uproar in the county and it never happened again. Everyone could see what the problems were.

If Cork were to win an All Ireland it’d be like a stereotypical Tottenham team winning a premier league. We’re like the Liverpool team of the 80s that mixed class with pragmatism and hard work. Limerick are like Chelsea circa 05, galacticos and big men combinIng brilliantly. Tipp are just Tipp, Waterford are perennial underachievers with class in their ranks, a bit like Arsenal circa 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

You might be over stretching there... Liverpool won 6 leagues and a Champions League (European Cup) in the 80s...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Well, maybe a tad:)

• Not trying to be smart but Liverpool actually won titles. I think if Clare don't win silverware this year they need a new manager as they're no point in doing the business in the round robin and not being able to follow it through

i agree to an extent , but , given the level limerick have been operating at over the last 4 ot 5 years its incomparable to say 10 years ago when all teams were more evenly matched

i think it has to be factored in also ,for the first time in years we have an active convarebelt of players coming through from underage , and given how green some of them lads look at the moment its hard to see us win the league for example , the munster championship is a minefield , cork could have just as easily changed the entire championship picture had a bit more luck gone there way last year

i would however think that we would be better off changing our approach to the league long term stop shrugging our shoulders with the competition

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Clare 0-20 1-16 Waterford

Great win when you consider how many key players we went in to todays game without is a huge positive , the younger lads that started out today , conor lean , patrick crotty , cian galvin sean rynne , all passed the test , leen struggled at the start on sean walsh but grew into the game and finished the game well, , crotty was excellent took his scores well and when he dropped deep his delivery's were excellent , cian galvin got a super score and worked hard all day , and sean rynne improved tenfold form last week which is a huge positive , his second point was top drawer and shows what he has in his amo

the negatives, fouling especially in the second half , on too many occasions we go flying into tackles with the arm or hurl across the chest of an opponent we need to be more calculated in our tackling , liam gordon lets everything as much go as possible in his games at one point he was trigger happy with his whistle on us and probably rightly so,

diving , we took a number of dives in the second half too , shane meehan not long after coming on the field , aidan mccarthy another one not long afterwards afterwards are two that stood out when we were in attacking positions and lost possession or were called for over carrying, referees are wise to this now

wides : granted we made an awful lot of changes in the second half but we went nearly 14 minutes without a score and had 4 or 5 wides in this period of time we were 3 points up at this time had we converted them chances we would have been more comfortable in the end

dropping too deep for the waterford puckout was another , we gifted a few scores with the game in the balance to patrick curren and neil mountgomery by giving them far too much space to shoot with the wind at there backs late on

everything else was a positive , our forward movement , delivery in to the forwards our devending our work rate our rotation of subs conditioning, everything about today was a positive bar what was highlighted

clare scores

Aidan McCarthy 0-8 (6f)

Patrick Crotty 0-3

Sean Rynne 0-2

Ian galvin 0-2

Cian galvin 0-1

Cathal Malone 0-1

David Fitzgerald 0-1

David reidy 0-1

Shane Meehan 0-1

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

Very positive for so many young lads to get some game time. Although probably earlier than we'd like to see big John back. Really delighted for Rynne after last week and Leen as I expected looked the part.

Pitch was shocking btw.

leen had a slow start but was excellent after that , the options coming through in the backs are very promising , yeah pitch was poor and apparently a job was done on it recently

sean rynne was excellent , given hes still under 20 this year shows how advanced he is for his age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Shane Meehan is an interesting case.

If you asked most people a couple of years ago, I'd have thought he'd have nailed down a place on the first XV by now. He looks an absolutely super talent based on what we've seen underage and with the club.

Hard to know from the outside, but seems like possibly he's now being overtaken by Mounsey, Sheedy, Crotty (who are also great talents, don't get me wrong). Keith Smyth is also now pushing for game time.

He'll be disappointed not to get a start when TK, SOD and Rodgers are all missing.

Advertisement