Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭oppiuy

It was great to see the travelling support again, I thought it might dwindle with it being a sat game and all the disappointment over the last few years but on the road up you could see the colours on the move. End of the first half it just felt like dejavu but second half was prob out best performance this year. Hogan showed great maturity to win the battle with Cody by playing the game in front of him. Delighted for him. I'll have to watch it back on the player this morning to get a real sense of how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭KIB4Life

Scored 2 points from play today, which is not a bad return. Thought he played very well from general play in the first half, but wasn’t really in it as much in the second half. To be honest the darling of Clare hurling in Tony Kelly done very little from general play, I know he scored 3 points but he was anonymous for most of the game.

I suppose I’m biased when it comes to Aidan McCarthy, considering I know him fairly well. He has averaged about 2 points from play in most games which I think is a fairly good return. Yeah he missed a great goal chance but Eoin Murphy is a brilliant keeper so you have to take that into consideration.

Sure Kilkenny missed 3 goal chances in the first half, Quilligan made some brilliant saves, again another player that was criticised but came up with the goods today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I wonder why they wore the blue jerseys. Is that management’s call ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Figerty

2 points from play were vital, I don't know why anyone would have anything bad to say about him personally as someone said earlier; no one has any call to do that. The goal miss was killer as the shot was put in the perfect saving spot for a goalie. O'Donnell in that situation would either bounce or hit the roof of the net.

Kelly was a spectator for the first half. His speed is seriously curtailed. He had options to break through but went sideways for the point. He's struggling to adapt his game to his limits, but we can't afford to do without him. What concerns me was David Fitz was on a bad day yesterday, the game passed him by and he was right in front of Lohan and the selectors. They didn't see. Yes he got two points, but both were handoffs rather than winning the ball. I'd hope a bad day out for him will get his head back in order (a bit like McCarty)

Conlon slowing up at centre back, and lucky to some extent TJ Reid was on the field. He still does the great thing well after a nervous start. We had a Centre back playing a holding role, two midfields not taking the game forward, and Fitz not forcing the wing back to follow. That's where Limerick win games.

The only issue with Quilligan is there is always 1 mistake in a match with him. It should have cost us yesterday but didn't 6 points down after 50 minutes due to a mistake was just about recoverable.

All the subs made a difference but it was nearly too late when the changes were made. I think Lohan had decided Taylor was coming on for Malone with 20 to go, but it was Fitz that was out of sorts.

KK didn't score for the last 17 minute despite perhaps 7 opportunities. That won't happen again. The final will be a different game anyway, so lets not get too hung up on that. I hope the weight of the 5 in a row weighs on Limerick. If it's Cork then it's going to be a shoot out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,766 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

We played Wexford early in the year and yet they never changed jerseys then. Have Kilkenny an away jersey? Apparently not.

Maybe that's why they were so bad in the first half - took them time to get used to the jerseys. 😎

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Not made with hands

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

would like to see them play in the all blue strip more often, has been lucky for them, KK must be sick of it as we have beaten them 3 times this year in this alternative strip

Yeah I was surprised that Malone was taking off thought he was doing quite well and winning a lot of dirty ball and had quite a good first half. I seen player ratings in one of the papers and they gave Malone a 5 which was very harsh.

Like you said maybe it was a pre-planned move. I know alright some managers do that they have pre-planned substitutes no matter how good or bad a player is playing.

Fitzgerald drifts in and out of games and often can be on the periphery of the game and all of a sudden can thrown over 2 or 3 points in about a 5 minute spell, Kelly can do something similar as well.

I know it might be a big call but I personally feel Taylor has to start the All Ireland final, whoever it is that is gonna be dropped, but you saw the difference when he came on. Himself and Malone linked up well the last few years in midfield and he was a big loss all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Only reason not to star taylor is if medical team deem it a high risk or lohan wants option to be able to bring him on when game is more open with legs tired. Personally unless taylor is deemed able to play 60mins I'd stick with bringing him on like yesterday.

Persume clare wore blue as it was what they wore when beat kk earlier in year and makes sense that removes any slight hesitation where players might mistake a yellow jersey in corner of eye etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I think Tony is finding it hard to get back to the tempo of it since coming back from his injury, he doesn't seem to have the same pace to get onto loose ball or break tackles.

• Advertisement

Yeah I suppose the medical personnel know best. But the thing is that if it’s Limerick in the final which I would be shocked if it’s not Limerick I think we need someone like Taylor for his energy and pace around the middle.

Sure David Burke won a club All Ireland only a few months after acl surgery, while David Byrne of Dublin won an All Ireland last with no acl. Taylor has had a long recovery, it’s been 12 months since injury so he has took a long time out then others after an acl injury, so I reckon he could definitely start.

If the likes of Malone was told burn it up in 50 minutes then Taylor comes on, then that is fine. With 5 subs these days, you have to be planning for at least 4 subs from the 50th minute on. Fitz not going well doesn't change that so much if Malone is playing to a time scale.

Cathal O'Neill almost fell off the pitch with exhaustion in the Munster final when he came off. I was close to him and he was near wipeout in energy. The problem I have with Fitz is that he wasn't his usual lung-bursting self for the past few games eating ground, hunting puckouts or bursting through, he looks a bit flat,, but he has what it takes to deliver. Taylor has what it takes to win a match, but he may not be 70 minutes ready. We'll see. in time. I think Conlon could do with Taylor in front of him. We will start the final with the same 15 unless injuries change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Different players can have different return times depending on severity or genetics.

Burke was 9 months, but also end of career so probably worth the gamble/risk of playing in club allireland.

Absolutely need Taylor, but starting allireland final as first game in a year is a big ask and element of me thinks might be better to stick with plan A then have Taylor to come on when needed to finish strong ( on the hope play like v lim first game half and not like yesterday first half). Also if Taylor starts Limerick especially will be able to have plan in place to restrict his influence easier then if coming into say second half during game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Clare won so Lynch is claiming that the referee had a great game.

If Clare lost, the referee wouldn't have been good enough, shouldn't have been appointed etc etc.

Don't worry about Lynch. He's a self-important expert in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Lynch needs to worry about the fact he looks about 15 years older than his actual age.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭17togo

Unreal game, not many people (outside Cork 😁) predicted that. Fair play to them, they were top class.

Hopefully the emotion of doing that will drain them for the final. It's crazy, people on some of the group chats I'm in, as the game went on were saying they'd nearly prefer Limerick in the final now. They seemed all over the place at times, all those miles on the clock might've finally caught up with them.

Still prefer having cork myself, too much psychological damage from losing to Limerick in the Munster finals. Although it would have been nice to have been the ones to end the 5-in-a-row too.

Cork have never beaten us in an All-Ireland final, so there's always that too! 😉

Should be a cracker of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Seadin

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭17togo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Quilligan let's in a soft goal each and every game. He pulled off some great saves today but one was struck straight at him . McCarthy was good today but he has struggled this season. He's greedy on the ball but today he showed up well throughout . Kelly as average as he was won the game for us with the last point. That was the clincher. The fact is we ll need everyone 8 out of 10 in the final but id give us a better chance against Cork as good and all as they are.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

If Taylor doesn't start the game will be lost long before the finish. The pace Cork have against our halfback line 😳. It's scarey. We ll be big underdogs in the media hopefully .

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i taught malone was excellent yesterday , it seemed that fitz was picking up kenny at the start of the game but after his goal chance and with two points on the board it seemed malone was moved on kenny , from there on he nullified one of the best midfielders in the country this year , malone was one of a few bright sparks when things were going bad , but when taylor came on he was top class altogether

i have been on adam hogans back all year he was excellent yesterday , himself and leen have the potential to be the best two corners in the country for years to come

edit this , it was mikey carey that had the goal chance i was full sure it was kenny , only watching the highlights back now

Post edited by windy shepard henderson on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I’d echo a lot of people here

There were players that really stepped up for Clare yesterday that had flat years up to then

Another 2 weeks for Ryan Taylor who’s probably a shoe in to start

Should make for serious colour and atmosphere at the final - Think I’ll be going as a neutral and I’m damn excited for it

i had you down as a cork man living in clare ?

It’s a lovey jersey to be honest. A lot of the teams alternative jerseys are nicer than their home jerseys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭global23214124

Fair play to Clare. We showed real character to come back and finally put in a good performance against KK. Fancy us a small bit against Cork but it's going to be a shootout fest.

Advertisement