Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Gael85 wrote: »
    Any idea who Lohan would have in his backroom team?

No idea but he's worked with Ken Ralph for years so I would be surprised if he wasn't involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't think he did a decent job and I think it was his tactics that let the team down, he stepped down from the gig and now wants to be let back, I don't think he has warranted enough to stay in place for 3 years let alone be reappointed to the job.

My understanding was that Lynch initially steped down owing to a lack of resources and an issue over acess to players and that assurances haven been given that this will be addressed?

If the foregoing is true and I have no reason to doubt it, then he doesnt exactly sound like the yes man lemming that he is being protrayed here as.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I would not be on the lohan boat, to be fair Mulqueen deserves his shot at the job,

But the one stumbling block is his connection to the Fitzgeralds, which if he gets the job he will have a good portion of clare hurling people against him from the word go,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AnClar14959713

So here is the state of play regarding the respective Clare senior and minor manager's role.

Louis Mulqueen is the overwhelming favorite. There were rumours around 2 weeks ago, when this issue came to its head that Mike Deegan from Cratloe and possibly Fergal Hegarty (Inagh/Kilnamona) were part of his prospective backroom team. If this plays out like that then it is most certainly no bad backroom team at all.

Brian Lohan had Ken Ralph, James Moran, Eamonn Myers and Francis Forde in his management ticket, according to Kilmaley delegate Niall Romer, on that fateful October 9th county board meeting, who also suggested that Anthony Daly was also part of Lohan's backroom team. Dalo has since distanced himself from getting involved in managing any Clare team, while the current county board executive remains in situ.

Certainly if you are a betting guru, I think that Mulqueen will be very prohibitive or short odds indeed.

In relation to the minor job, I still cannot get my head around why Fergal Lynch changed his mind, in relation to applying for the minor manager's role. His comments around a fortnight ago stated he will not be involved in any capacity in any Clare hurling management in all grades in 2020. But he made a dramatic u-turn and is competing with 2018 U-15 All-Ireland winning manager Brian Coffey.

Coffey is a brilliant coach and a very good man-manager to boot. He will get the most out of the players and is a very progressive appointment that I will be most delighted with. I'm very disappointed with Lynch though. He should make way for Coffey. Fergal got his chance, now its Brian's turn and the Clooney-Quin clubman should withdraw his nomination, for reasons of fairness and integrity of the whole process going forward.

It makes a complete mockery of Clare GAA, if the outgoing minor manager returns again next year, just weeks after publicly stating, that he would not manage the minors, or be part of any prospective Clare senior management team for 2020. I have a huge problem with that. I fear that Lynch will be the only man proposed for delegates to approve. Why just put the two names forward to delegates on the night and see who gets the most votes. That would be the democratic thing to do. But as we know democracy and Clare GAA are incompatible with one another.

It looks like Sean Doyle will remain on as Clare U20 hurling manager, if he wants it. That's the latest updates as it stands. Expect further developments in the coming days, with possibly Friday as the day, a special meeting of delegates might be called to approve the respective Clare inter-county management teams for the 2020 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Fergal Lynch re-entering the race sounds like he was either asked to apply or given assurances from the County Board. that's not a good omen for people who would like a change of management at this level. I have said enough on these boards about Lynch's tactics this year, I'd like to see Coffey gets his chance. That said, Coffey would need a good backroom team and coach, moving to u17 format is a completely different ball game. he is not just preparing for a weekends hurling like the underage groups, he'll be preparing over the course of the Muster championship, and hopefully beyond (especially given the talent this group has). He will need experience on his ticket, as well as having a good coach and S&C trainer.

I'm not sure about Sean Doyle staying on as u20 coach. While winning below in Cork was a very tough ask, I taught they're use of ball was very poor. His squad will be nicely supplemented this year with the likes of Meehan, Galvin, Hegarty moving up as well as retaining alot of the team from last year. The incoming manager should be under pressure to get good results.

I don't know what to make of the senior situation. I don't really have much of a preference. To be honest, I think Louis Mulqueen will get it, as he has a better CV and also a better backroom team than Lohan, which is a pity because I think Lohan has a lot to offer Clare hurling. If Lohan doesn't get it, I'd like to see him involved as a selector somewhere (maybe even outside the county), so he could serve an apprenticeship before re-applying again as manager in the future. I will say this though, a point I made last June, this Clare senior hurling team does not need an very experienced, autocratic type manager. They are old enough and in their prime now, and know the demands of intercounty hurling. They need a fresh voice, one that gets good coaching and conditioning to the players and not overburden them with analysis and tactics like this year. Basically have them sharp and hungry come May. Get them back enjoying their hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

letowski wrote: »
    Fergal Lynch re-entering the race sounds like he was either asked to apply or given assurances from the County Board. that's not a good omen for people who would like a change of management at this level. I have said enough on these boards about Lynch's tactics this year, I'd like to see Coffey gets his chance. That said, Coffey would need a good backroom team and coach, moving to u17 format is a completely different ball game. he is not just preparing for a weekends hurling like the underage groups, he'll be preparing over the course of the Muster championship, and hopefully beyond (especially given the talent this group has). He will need experience on his ticket, as well as having a good coach and S&C trainer.

I'm not sure about Sean Doyle staying on as u20 coach. While winning below in Cork was a very tough ask, I taught they're use of ball was very poor. His squad will be nicely supplemented this year with the likes of Meehan, Galvin, Hegarty moving up as well as retaining alot of the team from last year. The incoming manager should be under pressure to get good results.

I don't know what to make of the senior situation. I don't really have much of a preference. To be honest, I think Louis Mulqueen will get it, as he has a better CV and also a better backroom team than Lohan, which is a pity because I think Lohan has a lot to offer Clare hurling. If Lohan doesn't get it, I'd like to see him involved as a selector somewhere (maybe even outside the county), so he could serve an apprenticeship before re-applying again as manager in the future. I will say this though, a point I made last June, this Clare senior hurling team does not need an very experienced, autocratic type manager. They are old enough and in their prime now, and know the demands of intercounty hurling. They need a fresh voice, one that gets good coaching and conditioning to the players and not overburden them with analysis and tactics like this year. Basically have them sharp and hungry come May. Get them back enjoying their hurling.

I'd agree with the need for a coach that puts the leadership back on the players. For me they seem to have never really blossomed since under 21 and I feel they never matured as they should have. Alot of this is managers micro managing them and calling them 'boys or lads' when they are men. I harp on about them never growing up but that's how I perceive them. A Joe Schmidt type coach would shield the squad from responsibility again and they might mimic Irelands degradation in skills and collective malaise.
    I'd like a coach with abut of fire like Eddie Jones who encourages England to play English rugby and be 'brutal'. Can Clare get playing like the Banner of Old and be brutally severe in the backs and first to the ball like a certain Fullback...... The alternative is another paint by numbers coach dictating how to play and not letting players play what's in front of them

I agree with what Bloody Bill and Letowski have said regarding what type of manager the Clare hurlers need in the future. If we go with the approach of a manager who is far too rigid, in other words its "this way or no way" autocratic approach then I think you don't get the players on side. The current Wexford senior hurling manager is one prime example.

I hate to go on and on about Fergal Lynch, but the approach he took with this year's minors is completely the wrong way to go about. His obsession with video analysis, systems, tactics, lads going on new diets etc at the expense of actual hurling development on the training fields and improving the skillset of the players, is clearly not the best way to get the most out of any team, club or inter-county.

The approach that I would take if I was manager of the Clare senior hurlers, would be to put as much effort into improving the skill of the team. That was our big plus in 2013, the impressive skillset that the likes of Podge Collins, Tony Kelly, Shane O'Donnell to name but a few, had in abundance and our unbelievable workrate off the ball, where backs and especially our forwards, who were doing so much off the ball, with their blocks and hooks, more than what they did on the ball.

We need to get back to that way of forward thinking play. Unfortunately we took a more physical and attritional approach post-2013 and for a young team that we had when we won the All-Ireland 6 years ago, that was completely the wrong way to go, a bit like what Schmidt tried to do with the Irish rugby team over the last few years. We need a fresh approach and forget about trying to outfoxing what our opponents will do tactically and start playing hurling, man to man, 15 v 15. We have the players to play that way. Tipperary played some of the finest brand of hurling that I have ever seen throughout 2019. That's the template for success with this Clare team.

I just hope that whoever the Clare senior manager is, in 2020 and beyond, that they will find a way to get the most out of the group. Rather than taking the Fergal Lynch or Fitz Junior way of management, that the players can express themselves and enjoy their hurling again. I felt that since 2013, that level of enjoyment of playing inter-county hurling with the Banner County has not been there. Get them to express themselves, take ownership of their own destiny, in other words don't overburden with over-analysis, keep it simple and the phrase that many supporters keep on reminding me "let them hurl".

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Is Lohan last man standing?

Is Lohan last man standing?

Why did you say that. Are you possibly suggesting that Mulqueen has pulled out?

Hopefully Lohan is the last man standing. He'd be a breath of fresh air.

• Advertisement

There is a twitter account, that I won't name, because the mods may not like it to be named. This man would be very close to the situation, regarding the goings on in Clare hurling. The tweet itself is very cryptic but suggests that by tonight, in his own words in this tweet, it suggests "tonight a battle will be won". Make that what you will, but suggests a major development is imminent in the Clare senior hurling manager's race in the coming hours. Watch this space..........

I hope that the mods will be okay if I put this tweet up. Very cryptic indeed, but could be very significant, unless I am completely misunderstood the point that he was trying to make! He is very much an Brian Lohan fan though, as you can see from his twitter handle name.

https://twitter.com/ClareSupporter/status/1186973375643697152

Clare v Wexford in Division 1 Group B of the National Hurling League, in early Spring of next year, will have some spice to it, if it is Lohan for Clare against Fitz Junior for the Wexicans. However I'm worried that Fitz Senior may have some other tricks up in his sleeve, in order to stop Lohan getting the Clare job, such his is level of bitterness towards Brian. We are still waiting for a statement from Mulqueen and Clare GAA this evening, as I write this post.

I'll make this statement up for Clare GAA though, here is the following that I would say if I were in charge of Clare GAA PR.

"Since Brian Lohan is the only candidate left in the running for the vacant Clare senior hurling manager's position, his name will be put to delegates for approval, at a special county board meeting, to be held next Tuesday evening at Clare GAA HQ in Clareabbey"

Simples.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If Pat Fitz wants to undermine any Clare management all he does is "forget" to book stuff, have "delays" with gear, have "confusion" with training bookings and have "errors" with expenses payments, the fact that Lohan has gotten the gig by going around Fitz means there's going to be a lot of friction between the county board and the senior management which can't be good for Clare hurling.

Then again Pat Fitz might get his "senior team liaison officer" job back with all the "expenses" that went along with it

Clare v Wexford in Division 1 Group B of the National Hurling League, in early Spring of next year, will have some spice to it, if it is Lohan for Clare against Fitz Junior for the Wexicans. However I'm worried that Fitz Senior may have some other tricks up in his sleeve, in order to stop Lohan getting the Clare job, such his is level of bitterness towards Brian. We are still waiting for a statement from Mulqueen and Clare GAA this evening, as I write this post.

I'll make this statement up for Clare GAA though, here is the following that I would say if I were in charge of Clare GAA PR.

"Since Brian Lohan is the only candidate left in the running for the vacant Clare senior hurling manager's position, his name will be put to delegates for approval, at a special county board meeting, to be held next Tuesday evening at Clare GAA HQ in Clareabbey"

Simples.

It'll be interesting to see if Fitz and the Lohans turn up for the jubilee team next year, hopefully Brian won't be there cause hes managing Clare in the final.

Best news I heard since Loughnane took over from Len Gaynor

So now we've had both selectors, a goalie, full back, half back, full forward and sub from the 95 team manage Clare, I assume that means that Fergal Hegarty and Jamesie will be the next 2 managers to cover the whole lot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

You could nearly make a 10 part Netflix documentary, this has been such circus.

• Advertisement

Not as much a circus as a smokescreen, both candidates were clearly not qualified for the job but would be cheap so suited the county board, its well known that since the supporters club money went missing that there are massive holes in the accounts that need to be filled before Davy comes back

I'd be more positive about the candidate now. I think Lohans backroom team will be interesting. It would be good to have no links with past Clare managements, just a complete break with the recent past. Definitely an outside the county selector would be good, someone to help put a smile back on the players faces. It should be fun playing hurling for your county. Its serious but there is room for fun.
    Ultimately the whole county board apparatus needs to be dismantled and follow the lead of Cork with a chairman and a chief executive who doesnt need any GAA background. A commercial officer and a clear blueprint of where we want to go for the next 3 to 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Figerty

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I'd be more positive about the candidate now. I think Lohans backroom team will be interesting. It would be good to have no links with past Clare managements, just a complete break with the recent past. Definitely an outside the county selector would be good, someone to help put a smile back on the players faces. It should be fun playing hurling for your county. Its serious but there is room for fun.
    Ultimately the whole county board apparatus needs to be dismantled and follow the lead of Cork with a chairman and a chief executive who doesnt need any GAA background. A commercial officer and a clear blueprint of where we want to go for the next 3 to 5 years.

Agreed,Sort out the County Board.
    Get the underage structures sorted out.

Floodlights in Cusack Park...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Best news I heard since Loughnane took over from Len Gaynor

Harsh, Louis has massive coaching pedigree, his ties to the Fitz's meant he was damned if he did or didn't with the Clare fans, he will now be available for the Galway job which he will get in a heartbeat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not as much a circus as a smokescreen, both candidates were clearly not qualified for the job but would be cheap so suited the county board, its well known that since the supporters club money went missing that there are massive holes in the accounts that need to be filled before Davy comes back
    Not sure I agree with not qualified for the job. What makes you qualified for a senior inter county job?

Looking at the managerial CV for both candidates Mulqueen was by far the more qualified person for the role, talking to someone last night they likened Lohan getting the job as the same as when Staunton got the Irish manager job, kept the fans quiet while the board lined their pockets. I'm hearing that the current seniors have done nothing together while they wait for this to be sorted, they haven't even arranged a meeting or a gym session, sums up this bunch of players to me, a bunch of boys who need everything done for them and don't take any responsibility.

Keano wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with not qualified for the job. What makes you qualified for a senior inter county job?

Expierence & success at managing a club, expierence & success as a selector at intercounty, expierence & success as a manager at underage intercounty level. Mulqueen had all of that, Lohan doesn't have any.

Managing UL to 2 Fitzgibbon titles when UL has some of the best scholarship programs and sporting facilities in the country at thier disposal isn't a great success level in my opinion, I'm not saying it's an easy title to win and a lot of luck is needed but when you've pretty much the pick of Clare, Limerick and Tipp and world class facilities at your disposal it's not that great.

Forget that he's 1 of the best full backs of all time, what has he done to make him qualified for the job?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Looking at the managerial CV for both candidates Mulqueen was by far the more qualified person for the role, talking to someone last night they likened Lohan getting the job as the same as when Staunton got the Irish manager job, kept the fans quiet while the board lined their pockets. I'm hearing that the current seniors have done nothing together while they wait for this to be sorted, they haven't even arranged a meeting or a gym session, sums up this bunch of players to me, a bunch of boys who need everything done for them and don't take any responsibility.
    Well that's on them. I'd take Lohan over Mulqueen who it's hard not to think was approached by certain individuals to put his name in.

Expierence & success at managing a club, expierence & success as a selector at intercounty, expierence & success as a manager at underage intercounty level. Mulqueen had all of that, Lohan doesn't have any.

Managing UL to 2 Fitzgibbon titles when UL has some of the best scholarship programs and sporting facilities in the country at thier disposal isn't a great success level in my opinion, I'm not saying it's an easy title to win and a lot of luck is needed but when you've pretty much the pick of Clare, Limerick and Tipp and world class facilities at your disposal it's not that great.

Forget that he's 1 of the best full backs of all time, what has he done to make him qualified for the job?
    While inter-county hurling is a step up from colleges you still work with a vast array of the inter-county hurlers. He also wouldn't had the big back room team he will have now with Clare. I'm under no illusions that he will have to prove himself quickly, I do believe he will of the Liam Sheedy mindset. Lots of people thought him going back to Tipp was a risk...that worked out well. I don't for one second think we can the All Ireland but those players will have to work damn harder than they have under that last regime.

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    Well that's on them. I'd take Lohan over Mulqueen who it's hard not to think was approached by certain individuals to put his name in.

If it wasn't for the Fitz association Mulqueen would have been a good candidate but he's completely tainted by that association so could never get the gig. I don't see Lohan being good enough to be honest and if we get out of Munster in the next couple of years I'll be pleasently surprised, I'll still support them and go to matches.

1 thing that is constantly frustrating me is why we have to keep going back to the Clare team of 95, that's 25 years ago next season and we've only 2 of the other All Ireland's since then won, surely we should be looking outside the county.

Advertisement