Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Meath possibly the best draw we could ave got avoiding tyrone cavan and cork #rollonsuper8s #hondbanner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Do it lads! Have seen and heard enough of Meath this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

i agree but soon all 3 teams , minor 20s and senior will all be set up the same way , the de facto just need to ussher aside the man from bodyke and the two adopted townies first

Anthony Daly was Director of Coaching for Limerick underage teams for 3 years after Jerry Wallace. Id like if we could get him involved in some capacity like that, or set up a role like that for someone qualified. Clare's underage structures and coaching are not working properly in my opinion. I think we need someone that can identify good coaches and try to maximise the talent in the county. A director of coaching is probably too forward thinking for Pat Fitz though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Would love to see Clare come through this, really believe ye have the momentum to make it to the Super 8s, wish I could say the say the same for my own team mayo..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

letowski wrote: »
    Anthony Daly was Director of Coaching for Limerick underage teams for 3 years after Jerry Wallace. Id like if we could get him involved in some capacity like that, or set up a role like that for someone qualified. Clare's underage structures and coaching are not working properly in my opinion. I think we need someone that can identify good coaches and try to maximise the talent in the county. A director of coaching is probably too forward thinking for Pat Fitz though.

Clare underage structure are completely led by clubs taking the lead themselves, there is minimal, if any, input from the county board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Bansai

I was hoping to avoid Meath in the draw, they have beaten us well in the league recently! If we are still in contention late in the game we might push on and get a win but my gut says Meath will win. Hope I am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WengerOutIn

Hope ye take Meath to the cleaners and look forward to meeting ye in the super8s! Tir Chonaill Abú!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Clare wanted meath...meath wanted clare.....
    Were the ones with all the momentum at the moment hopefully the winning run continues and hopefully the same meath team that turned up against dublin will turn up against clare

Be some achievment by colm collins and crew if we make super 8s he deserves massive credit for what hes done 2 clare football....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Let's not get carried away with our "great run".

We beat two Division 4 teams, Leitrim and Waterford, as you'd expect.

We lost to a Division 1 team, Kerry.

We did beat a Division 3 (albeit the champions) in a game you'd expect would be tight, and indeed we won by a point.

Meath finished top of Divison 2, and would naturally be favourites for this game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Let's not get carried away with our "great run".

We beat two Division 4 teams, Leitrim and Waterford, as you'd expect.

We lost to a Division 1 team, Kerry.

We did beat a Division 3 (albeit the champions) in a game you'd expect would be tight, and indeed we won by a point.

Meath finished top of Divison 2, and would naturally be favourites for this game.

We're into the last 12 of the championship with a real chance of making the super 8s, if this isn't a time to get carried away with Clare football I don't know when is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭irelandrover

When are the times/dates for the round 4 qualifiers released?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

The 1000 or so football fans in Clare must be getting excited !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

agreed ,young brennan is excellent , o'dea is a fine reader of the game maybe not the best tackler in the world but very good sweeper and ball carrier

young ryan is also excellent great understanding with the two boys in midfield plus some excellent kickouts against a force 4 yesterday in the second half

as for gary , we probably dont deserve him , rumor had it at the time 7 or 8 years ago that kerry were trying to lure him down , he would walk on to there team in fairness he would probably be one of there better players he is that good

if he was in tipperary , limerick cork or waterford he would be on there hurling panel and not playing football at all , he had a serious championship for ballyea last year in the club hurling championship and from open play was much better then niall desy his club mate and colin gilfoyle from newmarket who were called up to the panel ,

i never cared what the rest of the country taught about clare football we all know on here at club level we are a duel county, as a west clare man however i always felt we never pulled enough weight at inter county level something colm collins has changed and hopefully it remains in future we need to keep it this way now

CC is top manager. I believe Saturday was his 70th game between championship and league managing Clare. Will throw stats up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Last 12.. definitely time to get carried away..
    In other news the U20s face Waterford in Fraher Field Dungarvan at 7pm tomorrow

When are the times/dates for the round 4 qualifiers released?

Talk of 2pm Sunday in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Meath folded in the Division Two Final, scraped past Offaly and offered nothing against Dublin.

Game will be at a neutral venue.

Believe!

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Meath folded in the Division Two Final, scraped past Offaly and offered nothing against Dublin.

Believe!

I'd say Portlaoise... we'd never get a double headed in thurlus with the Cork - Laois game??

Shane_ef wrote: »
    I'd say Portlaoise... we'd never get a double headed in thurlus with the Cork - Laois game??

I'd say Cork/Laois will be double header with Mayo/Galway in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

its confirmed Portlaoise on sunday at 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭finbarrk

On TV also. RTE 2.

• Advertisement

Gael85 wrote: »
    I'd say Cork/Laois will be double header with Mayo/Galway in Limerick

Double header with the Hurling Dub v Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Believe!

this is the attitude most clare people have , but 2 things stand out , 1 our league form against them has been terrible

2 , there backs played quite well for the best part of 55 minutes until the dam broke ,plus there forwards could never be as bad again

but yeah i do think we are overdue a decent performance against them , i am expecting a reaction from them sunday so we need to be up for it

its impossible to know whats going on behind the scenes up there since , the stuff with mcintee and the local media, graham reillys reaction to being substituted was bizar to say the least , and Graham Geraghtys sun column the following day did nothing for the moral of the team going forward along with the poor performance of ben brennan its hard not to be expecting some sort of backlash

Colm Collins Championship/League Record as Clare manager. Last Saturday was his 70th game in charge.

Games Won Draw Lost Goals Points Total Goals Points Total
    Championship Championship 2019 4 3 0 1 4 51 63 1 55 58
    Championship 2018 4 2 0 2 3 66 75 4 76 88
    Championship 2017 4 2 0 2 4 56 68 4 58 70
    Championship 2016 6 4 0 2 4 87 99 7 84 105
    Championship 2015 3 1 0 2 2 35 41 3 45 54
    Championship 2014 5 2 1 2 10 70 100 5 63 78
    26 14 1 11 27 365 446 24 381 453

Games Won Draw Lost Goals Points Total Goals Points Total
    League League 2019 7 2 1 4 9 80 107 5 98 113
    League 2018 7 3 2 2 7 80 101 6 93 111
    League 2017 7 2 1 4 9 78 105 6 99 117
    League 2016 8 5 0 3 9 112 139 4 100 112
    League 2015 7 3 0 4 5 89 104 11 74 107
    League 2014 8 5 1 2 11 108 141 10 74 104
    44 20 5 19 50 547 697 42 538 664

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

Anyone know what way the tickets are broken up for Portlaoise - They don't seem to be available online any more so I just want to know what I am looking for before I head up to my local Centra.

As far as I remember (its a long time since I was there) Portlaoise is just one big seated stand and the other 3 sides are Terrace.

Will it just be "General Entry" and you can go where you like ?
    If the stand is separate - Will seats be allocated to you or is it first come first served as to where you sit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

BnB wrote: »
    Anyone know what way the tickets are broken up for Portlaoise - They don't seem to be available online any more so I just want to know what I am looking for before I head up to my local Centra.

As far as I remember (its a long time since I was there) Portlaoise is just one big seated stand and the other 3 sides are Terrace.

If the stand is separate - Will seats be allocated to you or is it first come first served as to where you sit ?

I have a season ticket for the football, apparently its unreserved it says just bring your card so I imagine it's first come first served

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bansai

BnB wrote: »

I bought tickets Monday and it just says General Admission

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

letowski wrote: »

Maybe not, maybe he has someone very close to home in mind for such a role I hear...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

Bansai wrote: »
    I bought tickets Monday and it just says General Admission

Thanks for that - Just got them now. General admission makes life a lot easier

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

this is the attitude most clare people have , but 2 things stand out , 1 our league form against them has been terrible

2 , there backs played quite well for the best part of 55 minutes until the dam broke ,plus there forwards could never be as bad again

but yeah i do think we are overdue a decent performance against them , i am expecting a reaction from them sunday so we need to be up for it

its impossible to know whats going on behind the scenes up there since , the stuff with mcintee and the local media, graham reillys reaction to being substituted was bizar to say the least , and Graham Geraghtys sun column the following day did nothing for the moral of the team going forward along with the poor performance of ben brennan its hard not to be expecting some sort of backlash
    I would hope/pray that our forwards will not be as bad. The likes of Conlon and McMahon, neither of whom got even a sniff against Dublin, will certainly have more room on Sunday. Frees will be interesting. Can't see how Brennan will be starting. We've got Newman, Dardis and Seán Tobin to step in but none of them would be extremely consistent.
    You're correct that our backs were the only ones to come out with any credit against Dublin. McGill at full back and Keogan (who can really play anywhere) are easily our best players and rarely have a bad game. Think that's where we can win on Sunday as your forwards will run riot against a poor defence.

Where we can lose is our midfield. Am I correct in saying Clare would have a decent midfield? Ours is, quite frankly, atrocious. This puts more pressure on kickouts as we will almost certainly lose aerial battles leading to more kickouts going over the sideline or simply going straight to the opposition.
    As well as that, as you mentioned, our morale could be in the pits. It's a regular occurrence for Leinster final losers that they go out in the next game (it's happened every year since 2009). Given our recent record against Clare, I'd usually be very confident of victory but I get more nervous as the game gets closer.

Obviously hope we come out on top but Clare will 100% deserve it if we don't and it'll be a culmination of all the fantastic work that's gone into football in the county over the last number of years.

• Advertisement

J@ysus lads the Meath crowd are trying to take over :D:D:D

We've gotten rid of Westmeath already, we're coming for Eastmeath next :D

Advertisement