Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I'd say an underage director post will be created . We all know who's going to reluctantly accept the position.
    And to pay for that there ll be an announcement of a new upgrade to Cusack park. 8 million fundraising drive for a new toilet block ... cue 2 new cisterns and a painted door .. receipt 7.9 million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

Anyone else get a nice letter in the post from the friendly Limerick Gardai after the Clare-Limerick round robin match in the Gaelic Grounds ?

I was one of about 30 cars parked along in a row so I presume all the rest of them were done too. Parked on dry grass - leaving no marks on it - not blocking the road or entrances or playing areas or anything like that.

Didn't get a ticket on the day so they presumable just drove past and wrote down/took pics of every single one. Shooting fish in a barrel just to boost their numbers.

484374.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I got a ticket in Clones a few years ago for parking opposite an unbroken white line. Me and about a 100 others I reckon. An offence, but I always take care not to park on footpaths etc. Worst thing was that we lost too.

Where we can lose is our midfield. Am I correct in saying Clare would have a decent midfield? Ours is, quite frankly, atrocious. This puts more pressure on kickouts as we will almost certainly lose aerial battles leading to more kickouts going over the sideline or simply going straight to the opposition. As well as that, as you mentioned, our morale could be in the pits. It's a regular occurrence for Leinster final losers that they go out in the next game (it's happened every year since 2009). Given our recent record against Clare, I'd usually be very confident of victory but I get more nervous as the game gets closer.

Clare have Gary Brennan at midfield, one of the finest players in the Country.

Agree that morale could be an issue, but, Meath will surely have expected to be in this position, it is really only the manner of how they have ended up there that is the issue.

If McEntee is as good a motivator as he is an enemy of the press then Clare could be in trouble.

For a good half of the league final, Newman destroyed us. But, we figured him out. If Clare can disrupt supply to him, do Meath have enough options to get scores?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

BnB wrote: »
    Anyone else get a nice letter in the post from the friendly Limerick Gardai after the Clare-Limerick round robin match in the Gaelic Grounds ?

I was one of about 30 cars parked along in a row so I presume all the rest of them were done too. Parked on dry grass - leaving no marks on it - not blocking the road or entrances or playing areas or anything like that.

Didn't get a ticket on the day so they presumable just drove past and wrote down/took pics of every single one. Shooting fish in a barrel just to boost their numbers.

484374.jpg

Is Woodlock stationed in Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

484374.jpg

Its like parking on a footpath, it's a no no. I've seen people park on the main road there and people trying to park as well, only for a Guard to run up and down the road telling them to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Its like parking on a footpath, it's a no no. I've seen people park on the main road there and people trying to park as well, only for a Guard to run up and down the road telling them to move on.

We all know it’s not allowed but rediculous carry on by the Gardai. Fine if blocking a cycling lane or footpath but on grass blocking no one is just mean spirited. People have enough bills to pay rather than these unnecessary ones.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Clare have Gary Brennan at midfield, one of the finest players in the Country.

Agree that morale could be an issue, but, Meath will surely have expected to be in this position, it is really only the manner of how they have ended up there that is the issue.

If McEntee is as good a motivator as he is an enemy of the press then Clare could be in trouble.

For a good half of the league final, Newman destroyed us. But, we figured him out. If Clare can disrupt supply to him, do Meath have enough options to get scores?
    I was surprised Newman had such a good game from open play against Donegal as he usually struggles. Conlon got 5 from play against Laois so I'd hope he starts. McMahon would also be decent if he gets the service.
    But we're missing our two top scorers from last year so we could very well struggle (in the league we scored 3-19 in 2017, 0-21 in 2018 but only 1-12 this year).

Best of luck lads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

We all know it’s not allowed but rediculous carry on by the Gardai. Fine if blocking a cycling lane or footpath but on grass blocking no one is just mean spirited. People have enough bills to pay rather than these unnecessary ones.

It's your car you are responsible for parking it properly, there are loads of "legal" places to park around the Gaelic Grounds, you could even park in Na Piarsaigh, it is clear that there's no parking on Brookville Avenue by the double yellow lines on both sides of the road and I'm sure if the grass verge was to be used for parking that the grass would be removed and parking spaces put in in place.

bxG3ZeD.png

HV5bFkn.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was surprised Newman had such a good game from open play against Donegal as he usually struggles. Conlon got 5 from play against Laois so I'd hope he starts. McMahon would also be decent if he gets the service.
    But we're missing our two top scorers from last year so we could very well struggle (in the league we scored 3-19 in 2017, 0-21 in 2018 but only 1-12 this year).

Best of luck lads.

There isn't a huge difference between Meath and Clare when it comes to scoring in the league (111 vs. 107 points) but the huge difference is defence where Meath only conceded 84 points where Clare conceded 113 which was the worst in division 2, for Clare to have any hope on Sunday we'll have to try to nullify the Meath attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Clareman wrote: »
    There isn't a huge difference between Meath and Clare when it comes to scoring in the league (111 vs. 107 points) but the huge difference is defence where Meath only conceded 84 points where Clare conceded 113 which was the worst in division 2, for Clare to have any hope on Sunday we'll have to try to nullify the Meath attack.

while meaths forwards were awful against dublin there backs were fairly good up to about 10 minutes to go dublin had only managed 13 points , they brought on probably the best forward in the country dean rock to add salt to the wounds, if they defend like that sunday we will have a huge battle on our hands to stay in it , there is no way meaths forwards are going to be as wasteful again as that game against the dubs

good news however in terms of defence on our part , kevin hartnet returns in place of conal o hanifin , hartnett picked up a broken jaw in a collision with sean o shea in the kerry game a few weeks back some recovery

https://twitter.com/DLynchSport/status/1147230722865926144

Clare 0-12 2-14 kilkenny

Round 1 of the all ireland 1/4 final round Robin, other then Cian Galvin Conor Hegarty and cillian mcgorey it was very much an off day for young hurlers

Story could have been much different had Shane Meehan taken one or two of his 4 goal scoring chances, 3 times he had point blank shots saved by kilkenny keeper Aidan Tallis

Kilkenny look to have a few superstars of there own on the way peirce Blanchfield and Billy drennan look the real deal, the two made up 1-11 of the cats 2-14

Clare play Galway in a do or die game in two weeks time for a place in the semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Yeah the goal misses proved costly but I suppose KK missed 2 chances too. Hopefully the lads can get a win against Galway and get a day out in Croke Park.

I said what I have to say about the sweeper, but I think at least we should try someone else at sweeper and try playing Galvin further up the field. I think he could bring alot to midfield or half forward.

With regards to prospects, I think the best 17 year olds are Butler, Hegarty, Galvin and Meehan. There are a couple others that have good potential too, a good few are underage next year (at least 7 of the starting team are u16) Hogan is only u16 playing full back and maybe is the best overall propest on the team. Oisin O'Donnell and Killian O'Connor are u16 aswell and are very good players, O'Connor will make a good ball winner half forward at the next level.

Ill remain positive about this talented group, I wouldnt rule them out just yet.

U20 hurlers are out against Cork next Wednesday in Cork. Very difficult task. That said, its a better team than what we have put out in the last 2 years. I'd give them a chance. Very good Cork full forward line to deal with.

letowski wrote: »
    Yeah the goal misses proved costly but I suppose KK missed 2 chances too. Hopefully the lads can get a win against Galway and get a day out in Croke Park.

I said what I have to say about the sweeper, but I think at least we should try someone else at sweeper and try playing Galvin further up the field. I think he could bring alot to midfield or half forward.

With regards to prospects, I think the best 17 year olds are Butler, Hegarty, Galvin and Meehan. There are a couple others that have good potential too, a good few are underage next year (at least 7 of the starting team are u16) Hogan is only u16 playing full back and maybe is the best overall propest on the team. Oisin O'Donnell and Killian O'Connor are u16 aswell and are very good players, O'Connor will make a good ball winner half forward at the next level.

Ill remain positive about this talented group, I wouldnt rule them out just yet.

U20 hurlers are out against Cork next Wednesday in Cork. Very difficult task. That said, its a better team than what we have put out in the last 2 years. I'd give them a chance. Very good Cork full forward line to deal with.

the sweeper system can work and it is no harm to get young lads used to the system as it will be used more in future , but there is a time to change and really after the 2nd kilkenny goal we should have gone 15 v15 immediately if we had taken the goal chances we could be all here tonight patting bruiser on the back for another fine win

i have no bother with sweepers if you have a plan B attached to it , a 5 minute spell changed the game today early in the second half , meehan had a shot saved , clare were on top at the time after too excellent conor hegarty scores to keep us in within 2 , from the shane meehan goal chance kilkenny tagged on the next two points and then a super goal that was really well worked and put 7 between the sides

we didnt change to 15 v 15 for another 5 or nearly 10 minutes , plan b or c needs to be implemented for the system to work

and for anyone not in thurles today , it may as well have been davey in charge the system lynch is using at the moment is basically davy fitz circa 2015

big big game for the footballers tomorrow in o'moore park

the sum it up , the win against tipperary in round 7 of the league was job done for 2019 , that was the objective , after that both pearse lillis and keelan sexton who scored the winning goal in that game headed for the states , a win in munster a big push against kerry and a win in the qualifiers was the expectation after that , we ticked all the boxes ,

last week in mullingar we were down 4 or 5 players the 2 players mentioned above lillis and sexton , dermot coughlan (who is probably one of the best underage prospects since tubridy or cleary came on the secane) , robert eyres , kevin hartnett , we grinded out a win we would have lost in the years before collins took over

tomorrow while hartnett is back we could be without jamie malone who picked up an injury mid week , we are without conal o hannifin but dermot coughlan is named in the panel for the first time since breaking his ankle in the armagh game in february

for the first time since the early 90s we have a panel worthy of competing against the top counties in the country ,without malone who has been our best forward in the championship i still would give us a chance , i expect the game to be close however and if we do get over the line tomorrow evening i will be expecting some form of pitch invasion before the hurling gets under way :D also anyone heading to the irish open tomorrow it could get messy up there too :pac:

for us to be lining out against donegal next week in ballybofey , mayo in croke park the following week and kerry in ennis after that would be an amazing achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well, they nearly did it. Not a classic game by any measure. And the ref was a shambles, for both sides. Must have played according to 1950s rules.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bansai

Very disappointing loss, didnt think Meath were much better than us, but they got over the line. Another good year for the footballers though, hopefully they can push on next year, retain div 2 or try for promotion and aim for Super 8s next year.

Bansai wrote: »
    Very disappointing loss, didnt think Meath were much better than us, but they got over the line. Another good year for the footballers though, hopefully they can push on next year, retain div 2 or try for promotion and aim for Super 8s next year.

very tense game , watching the game back now and , not a classic we had plenty of chances to win it had we taken them , we need more games like this to get to the next level

excellent year in fairness disappointed not to be going further , a lot of good young lads coming through hopefully we can kick on next year and improve again , i think we are good enough to be talking about contesting promotion next year for division 1

ok just to summarize the season we just had with with the footballers , all we wanted at the start of the year was to stay in division 2 , we ended up within a kick of a ball from the super 8s ,

what collins has don has been outstanding , and while we do have some excellent coaches in the county it is 100% vital that joe cooney and purple jumper fitz get the cheque book out and give colm what he wants to stay in charge , the next generation of o'hannifien , cooney , dermot coughlan , stephen ryan are all kids with really good careers ahead of them at this level , keelan sxton , pearse lillis , jamie malone , eoin cleary have years left also , cillian brennan has the ability to take over from his brother in the middle in time to come , cormac murry and gearoid o brien are two prospects for the future also along with eimhin courtney and eanna o'connor

we have excellent structures in place to compete at this level , but we have to be bullish now , we have to up the stakes next year and try and push for promotion to division 1, for this to happen we need collins in charge brennan and tubridy are now in there prime now is the time to kick on ,

we always had good footballers in clare but never the structures to build on guys like the late michael o'shea , rory donnelly david russell , mark o'connell ect were all excellent footballers of a different era where very little was done behind the scenes nothing was done to push on to the next level,
    now everything is in place hopefully nothing changes and now we can kick on next year and make a bigger impact we need colm in charge for this to happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭fire_man

Is there any talk of what players might retire?

• Advertisement

fire_man wrote: »
    Is there any talk of what players might retire?

maybe gordon who is nearly 38 , but no chance of the likes of brennan , tubridy or o'connor who are all just about either side of 30 , brennan 28 , tubridy 31 , o'connor 31 they would be the oldest, i imagine hartnett is next around 27 so i doubt there would be many , sean collins is nearly 30 also but years left on today's performance was really good in fairness again today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Clare u20 team to play Cork on Wednesday:

1. Eamonn Foudy (Inagh-Kilnanona)
    2. Keith White (Inagh-Kilnanona)
    3. Aron Maloney (Kilmaley)
    4. Peter Casey (Ballyea)
    5. Daragh Lohan (Wolfe Tones)
    6. Ross Hayes (Crusheen)
    7. Dylan McMahon (Clonlara)
    8. Aidan McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnanona)
    9. Killian McDermott (Clarecastle)
    10. Aidan Moriarty (Clonlara)
    11. Diarmuid Ryan (Cratloe)
    12. Rian Considine (Cratloe)
    13. Mark Rodgers (Scariff)
    14. Gary Cooney (Mills)
    15. Breffni Horner (Crusheen)
    Subs:
    16. Cillian O Brien (Clonlara)
    17. Paddy Donnellan (Broadford)
    18. Jathan McMahon (Clonlara)
    19. Cathal Darcy (Kilmaley)
    20. William Halpin (Tulla)
    21. Darren Cullinan (Inagh-Kilnanona)
    22. Tiernan Agnew (Sixmilebridge)
    23. Keelan Guyler (Inagh-Kilnanona)
    24. Cian McInerney (Inagh-Kilnanona)

I'm still extremely disappointed with the result yesterday, we really left it behind us, we had some terrible wides from players that shouldn't have been kicking such bad wides. But to be a point from the Super 8s after maintaining division 2 with a difficult schedule is a great achievement, next year we will really have to be pushing on for the Super 8s or even division 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

We had 4 away games last year, of those Kildare, Armagh and Fermanagh are still in Div 2 with Ros, Cavan, Laois and Westmeath joining from divs 1 and 3.

So we'll be due 4 home games next year, will it be the first 3 teams and one of the others or will it be a bit more complicated than that?

Anyways 4 home games will be huge for us, a big advantage for staying in Div 2 and hopefully even a tilt at promotion!
    I'm still extremely disappointed with the result yesterday, we really left it behind us, we had some terrible wides from players that shouldn't have been kicking such bad wides. But to be a point from the Super 8s after maintaining division 2 with a difficult schedule is a great achievement, next year we will really have to be pushing on for the Super 8s or even division 1.

I see Keelan Sexton's Connemara Gaels had a big win over a star laden but Connollyless Donegal in Boston at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

ok just to summarize the season we just had with with the footballers , all we wanted at the start of the year was to stay in division 2 , we ended up within a kick of a ball from the super 8s ,

what collins has don has been outstanding , and while we do have some excellent coaches in the county it is 100% vital that joe cooney and purple jumper fitz get the cheque book out and give colm what he wants to stay in charge , the next generation of o'hannifien , cooney , dermot coughlan , stephen ryan are all kids with really good careers ahead of them at this level , keelan sxton , pearse lillis , jamie malone , eoin cleary have years left also , cillian brennan has the ability to take over from his brother in the middle in time to come , cormac murry and gearoid o brien are two prospects for the future also along with eimhin courtney and eanna o'connor

we have excellent structures in place to compete at this level , but we have to be bullish now , we have to up the stakes next year and try and push for promotion to division 1, for this to happen we need collins in charge brennan and tubridy are now in there prime now is the time to kick on ,

we always had good footballers in clare but never the structures to build on guys like the late michael o'shea , rory donnelly david russell , mark o'connell ect were all excellent footballers of a different era where very little was done behind the scenes nothing was done to push on to the next level,
    now everything is in place hopefully nothing changes and now we can kick on next year and make a bigger impact we need colm in charge for this to happen though

It is imperative Colm Collins stays. There is a strong core of 11-12 players but need to developing a stronger bench. Problem players on fringe of panel seem to leave every year. Modern football is a 21 man game now which all players in county need to buy into. Next year CC should use league to experiment and bring through 4/5 new players to be ready for championship.

On Sunday referee was poor for both teams but Meath seemed to get frees a lot easier. Anytime seen that referee he always seems to be centre of attention. Jamie Malone and Gary Brennan definitely should get a All Star nominations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

Gael85 wrote: »
    It is imperative Colm Collins stays. There is a strong core of 11-12 players but need to developing a stronger bench. Problem players on fringe of panel seem to leave every year. Modern football is a 21 man game now which all players in county need to buy into. Next year CC should use league to experiment and bring through 4/5 new players to be ready for championship.

On Sunday referee was poor for both teams but Meath seemed to get frees a lot easier. Anytime seen that referee he always seems to be centre of attention. Jamie Malone and Gary Brennan definitely should get a All Star nominations.

I'd agree with all of that. 100% Collins must stay.

Also - ref was terrible - Meath certainly did better out of him but he did give some awful calls against them too.

Overall I think Collin's own assessment was right. Meath were that fraction better than us on the day. The Meath goal straight after ours was a real sucker punch. Having said that, when Meath pushed 5 points ahead in the 2nd half and they seemed totally in control it looked like the game was well and truly gone from us. But Clare did very well to steady the ship and play themselves back into it. Jamie Malone had a half chance for a goal late on under pressure and if that had gone in we could have stolen it.

It's probably not right to say because you always want to win and play at the highest level you can..... but is there a small argument to be made that in the long run it might be better for us not getting to the Super 8's just yet ? That's a fairly daunting group with Kerry, Donegal & Mayo. It will be interesting to see how Meath get on in it.

I thought there was great support there on Sunday, really tried to get behind the team and well outnumbered Meath. I wasn't in Mullingar but heard it was good there too. Hopefully that carries through to the league next year and these lads get the kind of support their efforts certainly deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

The way I've been looking at it, is like that 1 point off the super 8s, will leave the lads hunger and it could be better than getting 3 hammerings (not that that would happen).. hopefully we keep Colm, Garry, Cathal and Tubs for another Year

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Treble double

Hi was in Port Laoise Sunday, good atmosphere, highly entertaining game, high quality scores and some massive turnovers. Both sides put their bodies on the line and the medics were kept busy. Watched the game on TV later and thought I was looking at a different match. The same entertaining end to end contest was there but the life and energy was sucked out of the TV equivalent by the rte production. Mainly down to Marty Morrissey's rambling lifeless commentary and the dull input of his side kick McStay. Marty shocked when a Clare player kicked a score from distance with his startled " and it's over the bor" mumbling on about errors when Meath and Clare especially produced 4 or 5 examples of top quality defending and took possession from the opposition. The lack of insight from o Rourke and cooper at half time was shocking. O'Rourke's best contribution was that Clare had a few big bony fellas around the middle that if they hit off you would hurt you. The whole thing was lazy. Marty is local radio standard, and the pundits couldn't be arsed doing a bit of research. I was against the sky deal, but at least they would do a professional job. RTE need a good wake up call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

I'd agree with all of that. 100% Collins must stay.

Also - ref was terrible - Meath certainly did better out of him but he did give some awful calls against them too.

Overall I think Collin's own assessment was right. Meath were that fraction better than us on the day. The Meath goal straight after ours was a real sucker punch. Having said that, when Meath pushed 5 points ahead in the 2nd half and they seemed totally in control it looked like the game was well and truly gone from us. But Clare did very well to steady the ship and play themselves back into it. Jamie Malone had a half chance for a goal late on under pressure and if that had gone in we could have stolen it.

It's probably not right to say because you always want to win and play at the highest level you can..... but is there a small argument to be made that in the long run it might be better for us not getting to the Super 8's just yet ? That's a fairly daunting group with Kerry, Donegal & Mayo. It will be interesting to see how Meath get on in it.

I thought there was great support there on Sunday, really tried to get behind the team and well outnumbered Meath. I wasn't in Mullingar but heard it was good there too. Hopefully that carries through to the league next year and these lads get the kind of support their efforts certainly deserve.

Was at league finals in 2014 & 2016 and was little support for Clare at them. Great support the 3 weeks in Carrick on Shannon, Mullingar and Portlaoise, was great to see.

Advertisement