Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

Shane_ef wrote: »
    The way I've been looking at it, is like that 1 point off the super 8s, will leave the lads hunger and it could be better than getting 3 hammerings (not that that would happen).. hopefully we keep Colm, Garry, Cathal and Tubs for another Year

I heard from a couple lads Jamie Malone might not be involved next year. Talks of him joining a Dublin club. Heard somewhere else about Gary Brennan going travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Treble double

1 more rant and I'm done, whenever Clare football is mentioned in the national media, you get the usual guff about Gary Brennan and David tubridy, now the two boys deserve every bit of praise they get because they are two of the top players in the country, but it's just patronising stuff. I can't believe no one has picked up on the biggest story of this fine Clare team and that is Gordon Kelly. He is in his late thirties and is playing better than he has ever played. He always picks up the danger man in the opposition inside line. Kerry scored 33 points against Clare in the championship last year, Kelly marked their poster boy and last year's young player of the year David Clifford and held him to a point. He picked up Clifford again this year and held him to two points. Clifford has named Kelly as his most difficult opponent in a recent interview. Last Sunday Kelly picked up cillian o Sullivan who has caused havoc against Clare in the past and kept him to one point and then we were treated to Kevin McStay calling him Gordon O Malley. I know nothing about Kelly personally but wouldn't be fascinating to find out what kind of regime he maintains to be competing at an elite level in his late thirties in a game dominated by students training practically full time. And wouldnt it be nice if a so called pundit knew the name of one of the top man markers in the game he is getting paid to co commentate on

1 more rant and I'm done, whenever Clare football is mentioned in the national media, you get the usual guff about Gary Brennan and David tubridy, now the two boys deserve every bit of praise they get because they are two of the top players in the country, but it's just patronising stuff. I can't believe no one has picked up on the biggest story of this fine Clare team and that is Gordon Kelly. He is in his late thirties and is playing better than he has ever played. He always picks up the danger man in the opposition inside line. Kerry scored 33 points against Clare in the championship last year, Kelly marked their poster boy and last year's young player of the year David Clifford and held him to a point. He picked up Clifford again this year and held him to two points. Clifford has named Kelly as his most difficult opponent in a recent interview. Last Sunday Kelly picked up cillian o Sullivan who has caused havoc against Clare in the past and kept him to one point and then we were treated to Kevin McStay calling him Gordon O Malley. I know nothing about Kelly personally but wouldn't be fascinating to find out what kind of regime he maintains to be competing at an elite level in his late thirties in a game dominated by students training practically full time. And wouldnt it be nice if a so called pundit knew the name of one of the top man markers in the game he is getting paid to co commentate on

I don't Kelly is late 30s. I think he 33/34. Agree with everything else. Class act. These pundits on RTE bar Ciaran Whelan are clueless. Pat Spillane talking a couple years ago before Clare Mayo how he saw Cathal O'Connor play in a school final couple years previous to that. He was getting him mixed up with Keelan Sexton. Very impressed with Aaron Fitz at centre back. Cian O'Dea was solid too. Sean O'Donoghue had a decent season and will be at midfield for next few years if doesn't go back to America.

36 this month I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

Are Clare minor hurlers now out of the All Ireland series or do they play one more game against Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

supernova5 wrote:
    Are Clare minor hurlers now out of the All Ireland series or do they play one more game against Galway?

Play one more game against Galway. May still have an outside chance of getting through, but they need to win well.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

That's the maximum that Clare Footballers can go. It's their ceiling. Some great moments of individual brilliance from Malone ect but Meath just about deserved it. Clare play some lovely stuff but some of the mistakes were keystone Cops stuff. The backpass to the keeper...the keeper giving away a needless 45...the loss if possession. O Dea is possibly the worst tackler iv ever seen..just sticks out an arm and gets ran past with his long luscious locks waving in the breeze.... But again they work like demons but ultimately theres no where to go but down from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Figerty

BloodyBill wrote: »
    That's the maximum that Clare Footballers can go. It's their ceiling. Some great moments of individual brilliance from Malone ect but Meath just about deserved it. Clare play some lovely stuff but some of the mistakes were keystone Cops stuff. The backpass to the keeper...the keeper giving away a needless 45...the loss if possession. O Dea is possibly the worst tackler iv ever seen..just sticks out an arm and gets ran past with his long luscious locks waving in the breeze.... But again they work like demons but ultimately theres no where to go but down from here.

They same thing was said when John Maughan took over, or when Clare were a division 4 team. then a division 3 team,, now a division 2 team. It's overly negative. All I want to see is a team giving it everything it can this team is doing that. Yes we are a bit of the top teams, but we are ahead of more than we are behind.
    This team could do more, but it does need some more talent coming through. Collins has done a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Ok moving on to a real game . when is the hurling championship starting in Clare,

I don't know what game you were watching, O'Dea was one of our key players. He is playing that spare defender role superbly, he was involved in turning over Meath possession on numerous occasions, he also slowed up Meath breaks by getting his body in or giving away a free where if the play was let develop Meath would have an overlap. He was penalised harshly by the referee on one or two occasions when he instigated a swarm tackle on a Meath man in possession and the free should have gone the other way. He plays a vital role that requires use of the brain and he is very good at it. In my opinion his tackling is very good.
    There is no ceiling for Clare football if strength in depth in the panel can be created anything is possible. In a perfect world Collins would have had Keelan Sexton, Pearse Lillis, Ciaran Russel, Liam Markham, Podge Collins, Cathal McInerney, Aiden McCarthy and Eoin Clearys brother in the squad last sunday.

• Advertisement

Ok moving on to a real game . when is the hurling championship starting in Clare,

??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Nonsense post the vast majority of the side are under 25, Brennan and Tubridy have a good few years left also not to mention the number of lads coming through the development work, there is years left and judging by the conditioning of the team I can't see this team going backwards,

letowski wrote: »
    Clare u20 team to play Cork on Wednesday:

1. Eamonn Foudy (Inagh-Kilnanona)
    2. Keith White (Inagh-Kilnanona)
    3. Aron Maloney (Kilmaley)
    4. Peter Casey (Ballyea)
    5. Daragh Lohan (Wolfe Tones)
    6. Ross Hayes (Crusheen)
    7. Dylan McMahon (Clonlara)
    8. Aidan McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnanona)
    9. Killian McDermott (Clarecastle)
    10. Aidan Moriarty (Clonlara)
    11. Diarmuid Ryan (Cratloe)
    12. Rian Considine (Cratloe)
    13. Mark Rodgers (Scariff)
    14. Gary Cooney (Mills)
    15. Breffni Horner (Crusheen)
    Subs:
    16. Cillian O Brien (Clonlara)
    17. Paddy Donnellan (Broadford)
    18. Jathan McMahon (Clonlara)
    19. Cathal Darcy (Kilmaley)
    20. William Halpin (Tulla)
    21. Darren Cullinan (Inagh-Kilnanona)
    22. Tiernan Agnew (Sixmilebridge)
    23. Keelan Guyler (Inagh-Kilnanona)
    24. Cian McInerney (Inagh-Kilnanona)

not the worst team in the world , some really good players for the future , would be a minor shock if they won tonight , but a good performance is huge here

very interested how daragh lohan , mark rodgers and ross hayes go at this level , the same can be said for cathal darcy and keelan guyler if they come on , all really good underage players and prospects for senior , ryan and aidan mccarthy have shown there credentials at senior inter county level i dont think cooney is that far behind them , up against a good cork team away from home bookies have them 5 point favorites , both them and tipperary look very strong at this level

U20's battled hard but were beaten by a much better team.

Some good displays in the back line. Maloney and Hayes were good in the center. Hayes has played alot underage at full back and could be a prospect next year. Keith White was good also, he is more a wing back/midfielder than a corner back.

Ryan and McCarthy were very good, but I couldn't understand why they put McCarthy wing back in the second half. They should have brought out White to replace Lohan and kept McCarthy midfield as he was picking off scores.

Most of our forwards were beaten, but they were not helped by some terrible passes inside. Rodgers flashed when he had possession but rarely got a good ball in front of him. Cooney similar.

That said, if the Clare seniors got Ryan, McCarthy, Rodgers and one of the backs to make the breakthrough, it wouldn't be a bad crop overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Cusack Cup Final is on in Cooraclare this Sunday at 16.00. Clondegad v Miltown.
    The Garry Cup Final is on there the previous evening. Kildysart v Doonbeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

anyone know if the minor game v Gal is being streamed live on youtube by TG4?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Clare battling very well here. Level after 35mins. Meehan is an outstanding prospect.

Clare lost out there in the end by 2 points, they could have gotten a draw to finish the game but they went for goals as they needed the win.

Overall though, the minor had a very good campaign. There are alot of very good prospects in all the lines which encouraging for the future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

letowski wrote: »
    Clare lost out there in the end by 2 points, they could have gotten a draw to finish the game but they went for goals as they needed the win.

Overall though, the minor had a very good campaign. There are alot of very good prospects in all the lines which encouraging for the future.

Overall they lost 4 games and won 3, of the 3 games they won only 1 was by more than a score, I don't think that's a good campaign at all considering the talent available.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote:
    Overall they lost 4 games and won 3, of the 3 games they won only 1 was by more than a score, I don't think that's a good campaign at all considering the talent available.

I was looking more from the point of view they were able to play 7 games, which was good for their development hurling long into the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Centrepassage

Clare were the only minor team to lose 4 matches this year. Can't see any improvement next year without Meehan.

nonsense , its under 17 hurling its all about development , there are 3 or 4 really good players coming out of this team,conor hegerty would be the first choice , an excellent prospect , mehan yes but i think players like butler ,diarmuid cahill jarlath collins sean ronan all put in serious campaigns

hegerty is by a mile the best hurler on the side along with maybe ronan and butler , there are a few more i would like to see how they will develop next year but yeah very good year for the clare minors , meehan looks a better football prospect then hurling in terms of consistent performances

yes the style of hurling was hard to watch but that is the modern game at the moment and its no harm have guys prepared for it , pity bruiser didn't have a plan b though as we could have gone further

ok just to give praise to shane meehan individually he had a fine game today scored 0-13 v galway, a total of 1-24 in the minor hurling championship in 7 games

scored 0-28 points in the munster football championship is currently the 5th highest scorer in the country in the u17 grade in football

whatever sport he picks going forward he will have an excellent career

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

yes the style of hurling was hard to watch but that is the modern game at the moment and its no harm have guys prepared for it , pity bruiser didn't have a plan b though as we could have gone further

They are f**king minors, they should be just f**king playing the game to suit themselves not the opposition. There shouldn't be a plan A and a plan B, there should be a "This is how we play"

Clareman wrote: »
    They are f**king minors, they should be just f**king playing the game to suit themselves not the opposition. There shouldn't be a plan A and a plan B, there should be a "This is how we play"

kilkenny had a similar set up at times last week in thurles , they changed there formations several times , i am sure they brought a plan b to thurles with them not just go out there and have a cut lads

there is more to development then just have a go lads ,

kilkenny had a similar set up at times last week in thurles , they changed there formations several times , i am sure they brought a plan b to thurles with them not just go out there and have a cut lads

there is more to development then just have a go lads ,

Have a look at the Cork development, 4 teams coming through to 1 central under 20 team but with a mind of 3 other teams.

To quote someone else, "if anyone thinks that any Clare hurling team is going to win an All Ireland without a Fitzgerald as a manager they are idiots", that's at any level

Have a look at the Cork development, 4 teams coming through to 1 central under 20 team but with a mind of 3 other teams.

To quote someone else, "if anyone thinks that any Clare hurling team is going to win an All Ireland without a Fitzgerald as a manager they are idiots", that's at any level

no idea who would come with a bleak output like that , i agree about cork they have stepped it up , a bit like what we done around 11 or 12 years ago when we were sliding down the ladder

i think ability wise the type of player coming through from last years and this years minors is a huge improvement from other years

but i dont think being asked to play a rigid style is going to make poor hurlers out of these lads it is horrible to watch at times i know but we do have some really good lads coming through and it seems they can play more then one style which will be a huge benefit in years to come , remember just getting out of the group was seen as a success for this years minors

Just reading Davy's At All Costs he mentions Clare GAA forums and has a right cut off "a clown from Scarriff endlessly demanding I step down for the good of Clare hurling". One of ye guys?

• Advertisement

Thats news to me. Cork have been poor at minor the last 2 yrs. Dont believe media hype.

Advertisement