Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Clare have a good a crop of 16, 17 and 18 year olds as anybody in the country imo. I think we will have a good u17 and u20 teams next year as we have alot of players still underage from both sides.

Its very important they are handled right as they are entering the most important period of their development. The coaches appointed have to be money. You look at that u17 team, because alot of them were playing more hybrid roles in the sweeper system, that will be a challenge in finding their best position in more conventional lineups. The biggest example would be Cian Galvin, who is an excellent prospect in his own right. I think he would be best at midfield or half forward, certainly a type of player the Clare seniors are looking for, but its difficult to judge him fully when he is playing sweeper. Two other very good players would be O'Donnell and Hegarty who have played in alot of different positions. Hegarty grew well into playing around midfield/half forward since they moved him out. O'Donnell is underage next year and played very well this summer.

Im not big into results to be honest. We have a couple of talented players coming through and so long as they keep in that trajectory, we will be in a good position to boost our senior squad in 2/3 years before most of our core players turn 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

You do have some top you players coming through though to your senior team. Like for example, a Turnball and Cadogan corner forward duo will be a frightening prospect with their pace for any team beside Horgan. I guess the big thing for Cork is finding high quality backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clareman wrote: »
    Have a look at the Cork development, 4 teams coming through to 1 central under 20 team but with a mind of 3 other teams.

To quote someone else, "if anyone thinks that any Clare hurling team is going to win an All Ireland without a Fitzgerald as a manager they are idiots", that's at any level

Not sure about the last bit.. we had a Fitzgearld and won one all-Ireland and didn't come any where near it again until last year.

Donal and Gerry achieved far more at U21 level and Senior hasn't worked out. If Donal stays on as is rumoured then he will need a change of style and also go out and get the better club players in with a fresh approach.

Any team to win an All-ireland is going to need a management team that delivers new idea and develops new talent. But when it comes down to it, and the fat is in the frying pan, it will come down to the players in the end. Cork showed that this year again and they didn't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Just reading Davy's At All Costs he mentions Clare GAA forums and has a right cut off "a clown from Scarriff endlessly demanding I step down for the good of Clare hurling". One of ye guys?

i think he is referring to a supporter who had strong views of fitzgerald and the county board

for what its worth i have met that bloke at a few clare games and is one of the best supporters in the county and one of the most knowledgeable ,

he used twitter with a nickname but used his own name also in his posts fitzgerald has recently criticized the medium of online usernames in which people can hide behind the username itself but the chap in question always used his real name on twitter while given it to fitz ,

supporters need and are entitled to have a place to moan , if its online or in the pub fine , its the supporters that turn up in the rain and spend a fortune traveling up and down the country win lose or draw, to be fair most players are briefed on this and know the craic , even the younger lads playing u17 nowadays laugh at the likes of us but yet understand the craic , fitz doesn't however and would prefer we all kept our mouths shut

not quite sure if the chap form scariff uses boards that much anymore but is still active on twitter i believe

i think he is referring to a supporter who had strong views of fitzgerald and the county board

for what its worth i have met that bloke at a few clare games and is one of the best supporters in the county and one of the most knowledgeable ,

he used twitter with a nickname but used his own name also in his posts fitzgerald has recently criticized the medium of online usernames in which people can hide behind the username itself but the chap in question always used his real name on twitter while given it to fitz ,

supporters need and are entitled to have a place to moan , if its online or in the pub fine , its the supporters that turn up in the rain and spend a fortune traveling up and down the country win lose or draw, to be fair most players are briefed on this and know the craic , even the younger lads playing u17 nowadays laugh at the likes of us but yet understand the craic , fitz doesn't however and would prefer we all kept our mouths shut

not quite sure if the chap form scariff uses boards that much anymore but is still active on twitter i believe

Doubt it's this one. there are other Clare forums that are (or were) the wild west of GAA discussion. The old Clare hurlers forum got completely out of hand. It was beyond sane.
    And by the way, it's well know that Davy had people reporting back to him what was being said about him on the web.

Hello Davy! !!¬!¬ Put this in your next colouring book!

• Advertisement

Figerty wrote: »
    Doubt it's this one. there are other Clare forums that are (or were) the wild west of GAA discussion. The old Clare hurlers forum got completely out of hand. It was beyond sane.
    And by the way, it's well know that Davy had people reporting back to him what was being said about him on the web.

Hello Davy! !!¬!¬ Put this in your next colouring book!

the original clare hurlers form was a disgrace in fairness until they cleared it up ,

the facebook fella that is cracked altogether is a townie i think its him you are thinking of
    but our twitter friend from scariff id say is the man that got under fitzs nerves because most people agreed with him

also .... hi mark " waves " :pac:

ok so lads league is over championship starts next week ,

if i call the clare cup the biggest meh competition in the county the clare champion will pull out there sponsorship and probably move to galway :rolleyes:

but for kilmaley to go from intermediate struggles and bereavements and tragedies in between , they have overcome some serious obstacles

as a kilmihil man, under the new protocols i am expecting ye to turn the likes of young john finucane , ronan callinan ,sean crowley and gearoid o'grady into cannon hamilton winners just like ballyea did last year over the next few years ....no pressure !! :pac: well done today

Cup Hurling Final: Kilmaley: 1 - 26 Inagh- Kilnamona: 0 - 14

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Any further chat or rumours about potential senior management going forward? Heard last week that Moloney wants the gig on his own. Would love to see kinnerk given the job. Or even take a chance on Eddie Brennan.

Any further chat or rumours about potential senior management going forward? Heard last week that Moloney wants the gig on his own. Would love to see kinnerk given the job. Or even take a chance on Eddie Brennan.

At the moment Moloney is the front runner on his own, ó Connor cant commit anymore due to work

Daly wants the job also but says himself that pat Fitz will go against him if he runs

Very unlikely Davy will be in the mix this time around but will be in the next few years

Moloney will probably get the job I'd say, October county board meeting is when he's likely to be ratified

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

What can Moloney offer on his own that he couldn’t deliver alongside o Connor?

• Advertisement

bluestone wrote: »
    What can Moloney offer on his own that he couldn’t deliver alongside o Connor?

he has 100% control of the team , dosnt owe us anything at this stage either , bar one bad week this year he has rarely put a foot wrong

won an all ireland intermediate with clare on his own few years back also , plenty to offer in fairness ,dalo would be the preferred choice but it seems he has little chance while pat fitz is in town

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

ok so lads league is over championship starts next week ,

if i call the clare cup the biggest meh competition in the county the clare champion will pull out there sponsorship and probably move to galway :rolleyes:

but for kilmaley to go from intermediate struggles and bereavements and tragedies in between , they have overcome some serious obstacles

as a kilmihil man, under the new protocols i am expecting ye to turn the likes of young john finucane , ronan callinan ,sean crowley and gearoid o'grady into cannon hamilton winners just like ballyea did last year over the next few years ....no pressure !! :pac: well done today

Cup Hurling Final: Kilmaley: 1 - 26 Inagh- Kilnamona: 0 - 14
    One of whom scored 3-6 in minor championship the other night!

caddy16 wrote: »
    One of whom scored 3-6 in minor championship the other night!

to be fair he is a serious hurler , he had an excellent game against cork in the minor championship last year it was between him and conor hegarty at the time for the no 11 position by the end of the campaign fergal's son won the battle

one of the unlucky minors from last year that turned 18 this year and missed out on a second year intercounty , he will be a really good prospect for kilmaley for years to come and you never know it might not be the last we see of him in the clare jersey

but one player i always think of when i watch kilmaley , and think back to the u21 teams of 12,13 and 14 is eoin enright he was a serious talent also that just fell short its very hard to make that jump from underage to senior at intercounty level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

he has 100% control of the team , dosnt owe us anything at this stage either , bar one bad week this year he has rarely put a foot wrong

won an all ireland intermediate with clare on his own few years back also , plenty to offer in fairness ,dalo would be the preferred choice but it seems he has little chance while pat fitz is in town

What the issues with Dalo and Pat Fitz about?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Gael85 wrote: »
    What the issues with Dalo *Insert Any Name* and Pat Fitz about?

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Any member of the Clare team from the 90s really, more to do with Davy Fitz and his paranoid persecution complex. Remember last year when Jamesie and Lohan were trying to take over the senior team according to Davy? news to both of them...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Pat Fitz is the Don, it's his way or no-way, anyone involved in GAA circles who doesn't go 100% along with Fitz will be on the outside, as a former manager as well as captain I'm sure there was a few words down through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

When is senior and intermediate football championship starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Gael85 wrote: »
    When is senior and intermediate football championship starting?

Weekend after next.

senior hurling championship starts this weekend , ballyea open there defence against the 2018 finalists Clooney / Quinn , last weeks clare cup winners Kilmaley face Eire og in a repeat of last years 1/4 final , davey fitz will be looking to stamp his authority on the championship they will be expected to get the better of clarecastle

predictions
    CRATLOE
    CLONLARA
    KILMALEY
    FEAKLE
    INAGH K
    SMB
    BALLYEA
    CRUSHEEN

Fixtures Saturday

Cratloe v Whitegate : Broadford 2pm
    O'C Mills v Clonlara : Sixmilebridge 2:15
    Eire og v Kilmaley : Clarecastle 2:45
    Newmarket v Feakle : Sixmilebridge 3:45
    Inagh K v Tulla : Shannon 5pm
    Sixmilebridge v Clarecastle : Cusack pk 5:30
    Ballyea v Clooney/quin : Cusack Pk 7:pm

Sunday :

Wolfe tones v Crusheen : Cusack PK 2pm

county_hurling_championship.jpg

• Advertisement

senior hurling championship starts this weekend , ballyea open there defence against the 2018 finalists Clooney / Quinn , last weeks clare cup winners Kilmaley face Eire og in a repeat of last years 1/4 final , davey fitz will be looking to stamp his authority on the championship they will be expected to get the better of clarecastle

predictions
    CRATLOE
    CLONLARA
    KILMALEY
    FEAKLE
    INAGH K
    SMB
    BALLYEA
    CRUSHEEN

Fixtures Saturday

Cratloe v Whitegate : Broadford 2pm
    O'C Mills v Clonlara : Sixmilebridge 2:15
    Eire og v Kilmaley : Clarecastle 2:45
    Newmarket v Feakle : Sixmilebridge 3:45
    Inagh K v Tulla : Shannon 5pm
    Sixmilebridge v Clarecastle : Cusack pk 5:30
    Ballyea v Clooney/quin : Cusack Pk 7:pm

Sunday :

Wolfe tones v Crusheen : Cusack PK 2pm

county_hurling_championship.jpg
    I'd agree with you bar Feakle, think Newmarket might sneak through that one although wouldn't be a huge surprise if Feakle won.

Newmarket have a good few injuries to contend with. So I wouldn't be one bit surprised if feakle were to win.
    Kilmaley and the bridge to contest this year's county final I reckon. Bridge still trying to get past an over reliance on Gilly but I believe there are a few young lads capable of stepping up...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Niallers87

Newmarket have a good few injuries to contend with. So I wouldn't be one bit surprised if feakle were to win.
    Kilmaley and the bridge to contest this year's county final I reckon. Bridge still trying to get past an over reliance on Gilly but I believe there are a few young lads capable of stepping up...

Is gilly still playing!!!? He must be 41 or2 now is He?? Fitzy is in charge of them this year so they won't lack for fitness!!

Niallers87 wrote: »
    Is gilly still playing!!!? He must be 41 or2 now is He?? Fitzy is in charge of them this year so they won't lack for fitness!!

Apparently he came off the bench in their last match, he's still needed by all accounts. Fitzy will have them raring for road alright but that brings it's own pressure of expectation. They have good backs but there are doubts over the forward division.
    Would also expect a good showing from Eire og this year too...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Apparently he came off the bench in their last match, he's still needed by all accounts. Fitzy will have them raring for road alright but that brings it's own pressure of expectation. They have good backs but there are doubts over the forward division.
    Would also expect a good showing from Eire og this year too...

Not sure where your getting the Eire og optimism. Barely beat clarecastle in the league. Playing who I would consider one of the favourites in Kilmaley and Kilmaley hammered us last year in the quarter final.

It will be between Cratloe, Ballyea, Kilmaley, bridge and clonlara. Cratloe would have to be favorites really.

Would have said Inaghmona would be dark horses but they got a bad beating last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Clooney/Quin are dark horses this year I think.

Not sure where your getting the Eire og optimism. Barely beat clarecastle in the league. Playing who I would consider one of the favourites in Kilmaley and Kilmaley hammered us last year in the quarter final.

It will be between Cratloe, Ballyea, Kilmaley, bridge and clonlara. Cratloe would have to be favorites really.

Would have said Inaghmona would be dark horses but they got a bad beating last weekend

Eire Og should be stronger this year. O'Donnell is back and to be fair if they had duck last year, they would have drowned. They had more injuries than was thought possible. they lost two in the half back line early on and a few before the match. They can't be as bad as last year, and the hammering they got on TV should motivate them..

Clooney must be due a big year.

Feakle short a few as well, time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well that was highly unexpected. Great win after extra time.

Always good in this round but need to push on again now next time out.

• Advertisement

Well that was highly unexpected. Great win after extra time.

Always good in this round but need to push on again now next time out.

Was at it,. Reidy was excellent. O'Donnell very good, and good an getting frees.
    Nothing between the teams.
    Not sure there is a second big game in Eire Og. It was obvious they were up for this big, big time.

Advertisement