Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Chat 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool have a hectic schedule gw 32 to gw 35.Thurs, Sun, wed, saturday. This is the type of turnaround where klopp traditionally rotates. I can see mane and salah both starting one of those games on the bench, the same with Taa and robertson.

Yeah they’ve essentially given players who had there bench boost and wildcard left a monumental advantage.

The fact that the cheap defenders of Sheff/Villa and Leno all scored so well along with City thumping Arsenal has compounded the situation.

But at end of day the people only had a chance to make these mistakes due to the pandemic so I’m trying to just take it on the chin.

I think if the people that run the FPL game had some good will in the bank we would cut them some slack given the situation.

But they don’t. They were in negative before this happened. They have proven themselves not to be fit to run the game. Time and again.

I think most serious followers of the game believe they do what they want and offer no consistency. They are so bad they have nurtured a feeling of paranoia because of the inconsistency. I genuinely believe they make decisions based on what they want rather than what is the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Has anyone a link to where they announced H2H wasnt being finished? I wonder will they keep updating the H2H table? I can see all my remaining fixtures so im sure every other player can see theirs too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

If using Free hit this GW is it as well to activate it before price changes start tonight or does it matter as regards using your funds well?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Has anyone a link to where they announced H2H wasnt being finished? I wonder will they keep updating the H2H table? I can see all my remaining fixtures so im sure every other player can see theirs too

They finished updating it when GW38 finished.
    Last games were all 0-0 draws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

F1ngers wrote: »
    They finished updating it when GW38 finished.
    Last games were all 0-0 draws.

Ya see that now, ill start new league from next GW and add totals together,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I think if the people that run the FPL game had some good will in the bank we would cut them some slack given the situation.

But they don’t. They were in negative before this happened. They have proven themselves not to be fit to run the game. Time and again.

I think most serious followers of the game believe they do what they want and offer no consistency. They are so bad they have nurtured a feeling of paranoia because of the inconsistency. I genuinely believe they make decisions based on what they want rather than what is the right thing.

Play the Sky game next year, they gave us nothing after the break.

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Play the Sky game next year, they gave us nothing after the break.

It’s too time consuming from what I understand.

Daily captains and what not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You can set your captains in advance though so you don't need to log in every day. This is my first proper year playing and I'm enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Liverpool have a hectic schedule gw 32 to gw 35.Thurs, Sun, wed, saturday. This is the type of turnaround where klopp traditionally rotates. I can see mane and salah both starting one of those games on the bench, the same with Taa and robertson.

If it wasn't for the 2+ months without football, the players might have been fatigued, my guess is that players will be rested (rotation) once the league is won, so those games are likely to feature minamino, llalana, etc
    (Same idea, different reasoning)

• Advertisement

You just need to log in once a week to pick your captains/transfers, it's the same as logging in to pick your team on fpl. This is the first year I've played, I've put no time into it and I'm 65th. Scoring is different but not as much as you'd think. There's a couple of boards lads in top 100 too.

Just checking it out.

It’s not available in my location.

Game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭macraignil

Just checking it out.

It’s not available in my location.

Game over.

I think there are ways to fake the location of your computer using something like a VPN (Virtual Private Network) service if you really were determined to not let your location get in the way of playing the Sky game. No reason to use these myself so I can't recommend a particular one but doing a quick search shows there are quite a few available and some are free. Was thinking of trying one to be able to watch BBC on demand service online as I think this is location sensitive as well.

macraignil wrote: »
    I think there are ways to fake the location of your computer using something like a VPN (Virtual Private Network) service if you really were determined to not let your location get in the way of playing the Sky game. No reason to use these myself so I can't recommend a particular one but doing a quick search shows there are quite a few available and some are free. Was thinking of trying one to be able to watch BBC on demand service online as I think this is location sensitive as well.

I can recommend ExpressVPN as I use it depending what country I’m in.

But I’d never rely on it to play that game. There can be times a work around is needed by the company and those 24-48 hours would ruin the hard work of a season.

I’d never play a game that could be taken away just like that.

Companies, like Sky, can work against a vpn different times of the season, if they really wanted to, and I’d have no access.

I can recommend ExpressVPN as I use it depending what country I’m in.

But I’d never rely on it to play that game. There can be times a work around is needed by the company and those 24-48 hours would ruin the hard work of a season.

I’d never play a game that could be taken away just like that.

Companies, like Sky, can work against a vpn different times of the season, if they really wanted to, and I’d have no access.

Imagine winning and risk not getting your 50K prize cos you're not from UK or Ireland!

Wonder at what stage next season will they change the rules during the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Wonder at what stage next season will they change the rules during the competition.

Regardless of what they do I think I'll be giving it up after 13 years of playing. It's become a chore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Regardless of what they do I think I'll be giving it up after 13 years of playing. It's become a chore

My sentiments exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

eh i dunno wrote: »

I really want to keep playing but become more detached from it. Don't know if my personality would allow that though!

I thought long and hard, today, about not playing next season.

I’m the kind of person that likes to vote with their feet even if it won’t make a difference.

I’d love to walk away but I enjoy the game so much. I’d only be walking away to make a point about the way they run it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It makes Premier League far more interesting for me, wouldn't have any interest in Leicester V Watford today, hoping Sarr boosts my team changes that. It's a game in the end of the day, that we get to play for free, they owe us nothing. Once you can keep it at arms length and not be checking scores every 5 mns on a Saturday, being upset if your captain failed, or obsessing about transfers all week, it's a fun pastime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It makes Premier League far more interesting for me, wouldn't have any interest in Leicester V Watford today, hoping Sarr boosts my team changes that. It's a game in the end of the day, that we get to play for free, they owe us nothing. Once you can keep it at arms length and not be checking scores every 5 mns on a Saturday, being upset if your captain failed, or obsessing about transfers all week, it's a fun pastime

Yeah, I'd be in the same boat as yourself. I'd virtually lost interest in the Premier League until I randomly entered the work FPL league about 5 years ago.

I have veered into obsessively following scores, live ranks etc at times which isn't good imho so the few weeks away from it hasn't done me any harm on that front.

The way that the game has been managed during the crisis has been very poor though. Yes it's free and all that but it is essentially a very effective marketing tool for a very wealthy product so they could have done a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Same here. Massive sports fan but I'm pretty sure the EPL would only get a passing interest from me were it not for FPL. The absurd money has ruined it as a spectactle for me but FPL is so god damn addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Personally I wish there was a pure FPL game - a well run one where you basically pick whatever team you want each gameweek. No stress with price rises or forward planning or any of that jazz. Just a nice alternative to the regular game.

It’s not for free though. Not sure why people think that.

We sign up. They get our info and data. That’s worth money.

I don’t sign up to anything willy nilly and I don’t considerate it for free when I share my info.

We also pay to watch the games. It’s the official site. It’s not for free.

They do owe us something. As customers they owe us, at least, some integrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

The first bit is what I’m struggling with .
    I do enjoy soccer . Or at least I used to !
    So would I have watched those games before ? Possibly not all of them but I would watch the highlights for sure on MOTD
    Do I watch them now ? Yes if I have players involved . Do I enjoy watching those type of games . Honestly probably not ! Watching Burnley Bournemouth with a defender involved hoping for a nil all is zero fun . It also takes up a lot of my weekends .

I can not keep it at arms lengths
    I am obsessive
    And it definitely affects my mood

The problem is definitely my personality which can’t be changed :D

However having watched Uniteds game last night purely as a supporter I don’t think that will bring me much enjoyment next season either !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I don’t sign up to anything willy nilly and I don’t considerate it for free when I share my info.

You're being obtuse, you know full well when people say free they mean financially free.
    We also pay to watch the games. It’s the official site. It’s not for free.

They do owe us something. As customers they owe us, at least, some integrity.

You pay to watch games, you do not pay to play FPL officially. You can play FPL without paying to watch the games.

You're being obtuse, you know full well when people say free they mean financially free.

You pay to watch games, you do not pay to play FPL officially. You can play FPL without paying to watch the games.

I don’t know anything very well. Words mean what they mean.

I consider myself a paying customer as I’ve given them my information which has a value. If you don’t see that then that’s fine but it’s a tad rude to suggest I’m acting dumb by saying it. I’m not trying to win an argument. I’m giving my opinion.

I’m not one to look for arguments where they don’t exist. Life’s too short. People have different values and opinions.

Edit - Barclays, Coca Cola, Cadbury’s, Budweiser, Nike, Tag Heuer and Panini are also paying them for me to play that game. That’s how it works. In my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

If you think it costs you to play, go see how much better off financially you are next season when you give up so.

It's a free game to play

• Advertisement

If you think it costs you to play, go see how much better off financially you are next season when you give up so.

It's a free game to play

I’d be down a fortune with the amount of leagues I collect in.

Advertisement