Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Chat 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I had a lot of the same issues people are having with regard not playing. Ive found since I reduced my posting in this forum Im not getting as worked up about the game as I was. I also entered less paid leagues this year which also helped. I love this forum but it can be very time consuming if you post regularly. Also you can find it very frustrating seeing other peoples high scores and ranks when things arent going so well for you. Same when you are in lots of pay leagues you end up worrying about other peoples teams and you end up watching games fearing lots more players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I don’t know anything very well. Words mean what they mean.

I consider myself a paying customer as I’ve given them my information which has a value. If you don’t see that then that’s fine but it’s a tad rude to suggest I’m acting dumb by saying it. I’m not trying to win an argument. I’m giving my opinion.

I’m not one to look for arguments where they don’t exist. Life’s too short. People have different values and opinions.

Edit - Barclays, Coca Cola, Cadbury’s, Budweiser, Nike, Tag Heuer and Panini are also paying them for me to play that game. That’s how it works. In my eyes.

By saying 'words mean what they mean' you're incorrect in your thought process. It's not an opinion. It's factually incorrect. ''I consider myself a paying customer''. Do you consider yourself a paying member to boards.ie? They have information. You could apply that thought logic to literally everything. Every single website you visit takes information be it an I.P so you pay every single website?

I'm not looking for an argument. But you're coming across as entitled to something that you pay no money to. It genuinely reminds me when people get mad when boards goes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

By saying 'words mean what they mean' you're incorrect in your thought process. It's not an opinion. It's factually incorrect. ''I consider myself a paying customer''. Do you consider yourself a paying member to boards.ie? They have information. You could apply that thought logic to literally everything. Every single website you visit takes information be it an I.P so you pay every single website?

I'm not looking for an argument. But you're coming across as entitled to something that you pay no money to. It genuinely reminds me when people get mad when boards goes down.
    No, we don't pay directy for FPL because you are the product. All your information.

Without questioning and critique, standards will drop. The granting of unlimited transfers was outrageous and belittled the game, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There should be a bonus point for each player that clearly hasn’t been near a barber during lockdown. Far too many immaculate hair cuts floating around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

razorblunt wrote: »
    There should be a bonus point for each player that clearly hasn’t been near a barber during lockdown. Far too many immaculate hair cuts floating around.

https://twitter.com/andros_townsend/status/1273697577079201792?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,916 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wow, the beard on spacecraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Shedite27 wrote: »

It’s a wig, Ted! Miraculous regrowth, the inverse of Kyle Walker.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Trey13

United, Wolves and City have been the three standout teams for me so far. I’ll definitely have 3 from United and Wolves for the remainder of the season. I will probably have at least 2 from Leicester too. Though, I’d imagine so will everyone else. Finding it hard to pick a gem that’s a differential. I liked the look of Sarr today. John McGinn looked like he could be threatening too against Sheffield, once he gets his fitness up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Trey13 wrote: »
    United, Wolves and City have been the three standout teams for me so far. I’ll definitely have 3 from United and Wolves for the remainder of the season. I will probably have at least 2 from Leicester too. Though, I’d imagine so will everyone else. Finding it hard to pick a gem that’s a differential. I liked the look of Sarr today. John McGinn looked like he could be threatening too against Sheffield, once he gets his fitness up.
    I can guarantee you everyone will not have 3 from united

km79 wrote: »
    I can guarantee you everyone will not have 3 from united

Surprised at that. I think Fernandes is essential now. Then I will probably get Rashford and Martial. One could even argue for Pogba I guess. I’ve seen teams with a United defender too.

• Advertisement

Surprised at that. I think Fernandes is essential now. Then I will probably get Rashford and Martial. One could even argue for Pogba I guess. I’ve seen teams with a United defender too.

They have scored 45 goals in 30 games
    Spurs have scored more under Mourinho
    Trebling is insane

Fernandes yes . He is on pens and highly owned in a lot of leagues
    Rashford is a maybe . He didn’t look fully fit and is not on pens . But I can see the possible attraction based on the run after Sheffield United game . I won’t rule it out despite all evidence over the past few seasons apart from new manager bounce when OGS came in suggesting a double up on attack in a dysfunctional team may not be wise .
    Anyone else no thanks .
    One united midfield is my limit. Fernandes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,520 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rashford was taking that 2nd pen before it was taken away. Sounds like he is on the next one.

CSF wrote: »
    Rashford was taking that 2nd pen before it was taken away. Sounds like he is on the next one.
    Read on Twitter that Fernandes doesn't take penalties he's fouled for. Not sure how true this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Lundstram wrote: »
    Read on Twitter that Fernandes doesn't take penalties he's fouled for. Not sure how true this is.

Arsenal used to do that for a while back in the day. I seem to remeber it all going pretty wrong! Annoying for fpl I wonder if theres a particular reason for it or if he just doesn't want to lose an assist for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I had a lot of the same issues people are having with regard not playing. Ive found since I reduced my posting in this forum Im not getting as worked up about the game as I was. I also entered less paid leagues this year which also helped. I love this forum but it can be very time consuming if you post regularly. Also you can find it very frustrating seeing other peoples high scores and ranks when things arent going so well for you. Same when you are in lots of pay leagues you end up worrying about other peoples teams and you end up watching games fearing lots more players.

This is the nail on the head here!

Of course people are going to have good scores in this forum (there are great players).

We then get to see their scores more, we become obsessed with other players teams & “fear” players we don’t have. In this regard, we never take into account the true domino effect of selecting/having one player. How it effects our overall team and how future GW’s.

Take a step back, aim for an average weekly score and you will begin to enjoy it more when you are hitting your goals - it’s like anything, the competition only heats up in the final stages. We are approaching this stage. Good luck all, time to take gambles and go for the win!

jimmii wrote: »
    Arsenal used to do that for a while back in the day. I seem to remeber it all going pretty wrong! Annoying for fpl I wonder if theres a particular reason for it or if he just doesn't want to lose an assist for it?
    I'm not sure assists are given for winning a penalty outside of FPL? Might be just a superstitious thing for him.

He has a 100% record from pens for United so it's a bit crazy to hand them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Markx

Lundstram wrote: »
    I'm not sure assists are given for winning a penalty outside of FPL? Might be just a superstitious thing for him.

He has a 100% record from pens for United so it's a bit crazy to hand them over.

I always put that down to (a) superstition or (b) lads being a bit rattled after being fouled if it's a bad one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭macraignil

Markx wrote: »
    I always put that down to (a) superstition or (b) lads being a bit rattled after being fouled if it's a bad one.

(b) makes sense to me. Taking a free kick for some people requires having a level head and that's sometimes not the case directly after getting fouled. Even if it is not a bad injury it could take a few minutes to fully stop thinking about the foul when your the one after getting fouled.

macraignil wrote: »
    (b) makes sense to me. Taking a free kick for some people requires having a level head and that's sometimes not the case directly after getting fouled. Even if it is not a bad injury it could take a few minutes to fully stop thinking about the foul when your the one after getting fouled.

Or having not been fouled at all.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Or having not been fouled at all.........

Very true:-)

I think it was Arsenal who had a rule in the Henry, RVP, Pires era where if you were fouled for the penalty, no matter how innocuous, you didn't take it.

Maybe its something similar with Man U now?

• Advertisement

I’m sure it’s been discussed before this week, but with the gameweek nearly over, how are people using their remaining chips?

I used Bench Boost this week. I plan on using Free Hit for the next gameweek. I think I will see how my team gets on in gameweek 32 before wildcarding after the FA cup games. That leaves me with Triple Captain, which I think I will just end up using on the last week on someone in the race for the Golden Boot.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

I’m sure it’s been discussed before this week, but with the gameweek nearly over, how are people using their remaining chips?

I used Bench Boost this week. I plan on using Free Hit for the next gameweek. I think I will see how my team gets on in gameweek 32 before wildcarding after the FA cup games. That leaves me with Triple Captain, which I think I will just end up using on the last week on someone in the race for the Golden Boot.

Thoughts?

Yeah, that's a good plan.
    I'd agree that TC should be the lowest priority chip for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Benimar wrote: »
    Very true:-)

I think it was Arsenal who had a rule in the Henry, RVP, Pires era where if you were fouled for the penalty, no matter how innocuous, you didn't take it.

Maybe its something similar with Man U now?

Fairly sure it's just rotating takers. Whether they're the ones fouled or not. Order determined before each game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

19 points in the difference between my Free Hit team (live score) and my bench boost team before o decided to Free Hit.

Reverting back to my team , so be interesting to see if that 19 points be made up next week / week(s) after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

Interesting to see people’s thoughts on going again next year. I don’t think I would be playing but for this forum, so hope most you guys keep playing!!

Like others I had stopped paying attention to the EPL for many years, stumbled into a Fpl work league 2/3yrs ago and found myself paying attention again, super sunday, motd etc were back on the watch list. I try not to be too obsessive, don’t subscribe to any podcasts etc but I had noticed myself watching a lot of crap games because I had a keeper or defender involved and hoping for a boring nil all...so now just limit myself to watching games that I want to watch, being a pool fan that’s pretty easy at mo!

I will play next year but will watch myself so that it remains enjoyable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I’d consider that I take FPL very seriously, on a good year it could be worth over €2k, even this year at about 100k OR I’ll take home close to €1k. I watch close to zero matches, maybe one a year or if I happened to be in a pub with one on. I think it helps to reduce the stress and frustration that I see in a lot of posters here

Edit: I actually find it much more enjoyable to follow a game on here than watch it. Bit of craic from majority of posters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Green&Red wrote:
    I’d consider that I take FPL very seriously, on a good year it could be worth over €2k, even this year at about 100k OR I’ll take home close to €1k. I watch close to zero matches, maybe one a year or if I happened to be in a pub with one on. I think it helps to reduce the stress and frustration that I see in a lot of posters here

I assume you use stats for decisions then? What do you base transfers off out of interest?

Green&Red wrote: »

Edit: I actually find it much more enjoyable to follow a game on here than watch it. Bit of craic from majority of posters

This last part is very important for me
    This forum is the most enjoyable part of it all for me too
    I love when there is a load of saturday 3pms!

It is also part of the problem though as I could be at a family event and itching to be on the forum!

I assume you use stats for decisions then? What do you base transfers off out of interest?

Stats and I listen to a lot of podcasts. I like FPL renegades, hopefully they come back and FML FPL, they backed Ritchie, on penalties and Newcastle have great fixtures, he’ll start every week apart from 34+ and 38+, so that made sense to me. Paid off today.

I’d use here as a sounding board for most transfers too but you need to be open minded prepared to change your ideas when you’re not watching matches yourself.

There’s been discussions here before about having a list of posters and their FPL achievements, I’d be 100% in favour of that.

• Advertisement

This last part is very important for me
    This forum is the most enjoyable part of it all for me too
    I love when there is a load of saturday 3pms!

It is also part of the problem though as I could be at a family event and itching to be on the forum!

It’s brilliant and hilarious. You leave it for five minutes and come back to three pages of new posts and you know something huge has happened.

Advertisement