Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Chat 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,521 ✭✭✭✭CSF

jimmii wrote: »
    Or homophobic possibly? Hard to see what else would be so bad they'd kicked you out.

Based on some tweets, It’s the n word apparently.

I reckon if all of our worst texts/messages were exposed we would look like less than our best selves.

However, I would hope must of our worst selves don’t involve racial slurs. This isn’t normal lad chat.

Or homophobic possibly? Hard to see what else would be so bad they'd kicked you out.

I reckon if all of our worst texts/messages were exposed we would look like less than our best selves.

However, I would hope must of our worst selves don’t involve racial slurs. This isn’t normal lad chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Missing Links

km79 wrote: »
    Still waiting for payment from Galway United too .....

They were a bit slow last year as well...but came good in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

CSF wrote: »

Yeah definitely looking like it was racist. I'm sure someone of my messages could look bad but there's nothing anything like that in there thats for sure.

If he really felt it was a fuss over nothing he would post screenshot himself you would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yeah definitely looking like it was racist. I'm sure someone of my messages could look bad but there's nothing anything like that in there thats for sure.

If he really felt it was a fuss over nothing he would post screenshot himself you would think.

Think it was posted below in the Twitter thread, called Sterling an imbecile little, well you know.

I don't think it's right what he said, I'm not sure it's right he got kicked out for it. But it's their game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Is there something in the fpl rules about behaving yourself in private Facebook groups? Even if what he said was abhorrent, this feels like over-reach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

He used the Bulgarian N word, which apparently is ok there

https://twitter.com/toogoodfpl/status/1293236145720111104?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Is there something in the fpl rules about behaving yourself in private Facebook groups? Even if what he said was abhorrent, this feels like over-reach

It was EPL who kicked him out

Once it was brought to their attention they had to do something about it. You can’t have everyone taking a knee and then ignore this

Green&Red wrote: »
    It was EPL who kicked him out

Once it was brought to their attention they had to do something about it. You can’t have everyone taking a knee and then ignore this

This seems to have gone much higher up the chain than you would expect for something fpl related. Good to see they took it so seriously.

Think it was posted below in the Twitter thread, called Sterling an imbecile little, well you know.

I don't think it's right what he said, I'm not sure it's right he got kicked out for it. But it's their game.

Hadn't seen it so specific guess thats why they took their time to try and understand its meaning and general usage. If that's true I don't see how he can claim its out of context even in the "apology" it felt like it was something he would have had no problem doing again if this hadn't happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'd probably end up in jail for some of the crap on my phone over the years. Never mind the stuff I don't even know that exists on my phone.

But going hard N in a racial slur is something that wouldn't be found in it. Bar the conversation surrounding the Irish bloke who said it recently

Just reading through his posts jeez he really is handling this about as poorly as it could be handled wow.

Just reading through his posts jeez he really is handling this about as poorly as it could be handled wow.

Yup, just apologise. Show genuine remorse, and there is always a way back in.

So from the screenshots I've gathered the following

Sterling should have shot he's a ****ing imbecile and a little N.

Few other bits I didn't understand

Yup, just apologise. Show genuine remorse, and there is always a way back in.

Yeah instead he's just digging and digging and refusing to apologise because he doesn't think he should! He was in line for a lot of fpl related work and he has absolutely blown it now no one is going to touch him.

So from the screenshots I've gathered the following

Sterling should have shot he's a ****ing imbecile and a little N.

Few other bits I didn't understand

Was it in English? He seemed to suggest it was all in Bulgarian or is that screenshots with literal translations? Even the spelling of the word looks like it is going to sound almost identical to the word we know. Do non-racist people really use this sort of language?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Yeah instead he's just digging and digging and refusing to apologise because he doesn't think he should! He was in line for a lot of fpl related work and he has absolutely blown it now no one is going to touch him.

Apologising would do nothing. It's the pile on now.

dsmythy wrote: »

Don’t agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

He's not doing much for the reputation of Bulgarian football fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Dearg81 wrote: »
    He's not doing much for the reputation of Bulgarian football fans.
    Really ruining their squaky clean image

• Advertisement

Bloody hell it's on the BBC website! I know they've been a lot more fantasy stuff this season but seems mad they're reporting it!

https://bbc.in/3amIIH9

dsmythy wrote: »

Better late than never its not going to help now he's gone about this the way he has but at the same time its behaviour that should be apologised for.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Really ruining their squaky clean image

Seen a post along these lines earlier this is exactly what the English team had to put up with in Sofia and he wrote it off as ultras and its wrong what they do but still seemed to think it was OK for him to be using similar language!

Bloody hell it's on the BBC website! I know they've been a lot more fantasy stuff this season but seems mad they're reporting it!

https://bbc.in/3amIIH9

I’m not surprised. With 7 million players it’s a big interest story. The environment we’re in with the increased focus on racism in football only adds to the likelihood of media outlets picking it up.

I’m not surprised. With 7 million players it’s a big interest story. The environment we’re in with the increased focus on racism in football only adds to the likelihood of media outlets picking it up.

Yeah definitely a factor in the current climate. Shows the footballing authorities are taking action on this sort of thing with any luck highlighting it might make one two people think before they send certain messages now.

Was it in English? He seemed to suggest it was all in Bulgarian or is that screenshots with literal translations? Even the spelling of the word looks like it is going to sound almost identical to the word we know. Do non-racist people really use this sort of language?

No, Bulgarian, someone on twitter gave a rough translation.

No, Bulgarian, someone on twitter gave a rough translation.

Yeah I managed to find where someone had a screenshot of the comment with the Google translate version next to it. Hard to say how its taken out of context.

Does anyone recall how long before the start of the season we started getting drip fed prices last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

manual_man wrote: »
    Does anyone recall how long before the start of the season we started getting drip fed prices last year?

26th June according to this thread, Robertson was leaked first looks like.

Game went live on the 27th.

9th August was the first game back. Roughly 6 weeks or so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,151 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

26th June according to this thread, Robertson was leaked first looks like.

Game went live on the 27th.

9th August was the first game back. Roughly 6 weeks or so?

Fixtures look like they’re going to be released around the 20th so that should be when FPL goes live again you’d imagine.

Advertisement