Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

patmac wrote: »
    One of the worst weeks entertainment wise in the FPL I can remember. Watched 5 matches or parts thereof, the highlight of which was the 20 minute sleep I had at the start of the second half of the utd match.
    Maybe it was the international break and it is just a once off.

I was actually going to post something similar. Not only was it a bad week FF wise, but it just seemed as if absolutely nothing was happening in the games.

When Aston Villa v Brighton, which had 3 goals in it, is the first of 8 games shown on MOTD, you know it hasn't been an interesting day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

patmac wrote:
    One of the worst weeks entertainment wise in the FPL I can remember. Watched 5 matches or parts thereof, the highlight of which was the 20 minute sleep I had at the start of the second half of the utd match. Maybe it was the international break and it is just a once off.
    Well for me that's the way it's been for quite a while now. I'm moving away from it. I didn't watch any game the weekend. I've missed full weekends a couple of times this season already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I haven't seen Saka play yet or seen much talk about him here.

Surely he must be worth getting in at his price, I am thinking I will swap him for Cantwell to free up some funds.

It will mean starting one of Saka or Connolly every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

rgace wrote: »

Surely he must be worth getting in at his price, I am thinking I will swap him for Cantwell to free up some funds.

I think the general feeling is he will lose his place once Lacazette is fully fit again. It's why I left him out on WC ultimately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

rgace wrote: »

Trying to predict what Unai Emery will do is a thankless job, every decision he makes defies logic, he is like Pep but without the ability to actually manage a team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Trying to predict what Unai Emery will do is a thankless job, every decision he makes defies logic, he is like Pep but without the ability to actually manage a team.

Completely agree, the only Arsenal player worth considering in FPL is Auba and even at that is a push personally.

Emery doesn't seem to be selecting the best team and players available to him which is baffling and for that reason I wouldn't go near any of their players FPL wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I'm conflicted about holding onto Son. He did great for me last season but Spurs are struggling this season and don't know if its a downward spiral that will end soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Completely agree, the only Arsenal player worth considering in FPL is Auba and even at that is a push personally.

Emery doesn't seem to be selecting the best team and players available to him which is baffling and for that reason I wouldn't go near any of their players FPL wise.

I have my eye firmly on laca was nearly tempted to bring him in this week before 2 home games but unless maddison is ruled out I may hold off and monitor for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I'm conflicted about holding onto Son. He did great for me last season but Spurs are struggling this season and don't know if its a downward spiral that will end soon.

Sell him spurs are sh1t fixtures are sh1t wouldn't even consider any of their players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭Shedite27

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Ah the Theo Walcott logic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Pogue eile wrote: »

They haven't been that bad this year

Leno has been ever-present

Sokratis and Luiz have been ever present centre back (apart from first game when Luiz had only arrived)

Kolasinac has been ever preset at LB since Monreal left (Tierney will likely take over soon).

AMN was ever present till he got sent off and suspended, Chambers covering since, Bellerin should make that his own soon.

Guendouzhi/Xhaka been ever present CM bar one game.

Ceballos/Torreira rotated as the 3rd mid.

PEA ever present. Pepe ever present since he settled.

So you've basically Saka/Nelson/Willock battling for one spot, which now is very under threat from Lacazzette.

90% of starting lineups will be:

Leno
    Bellerin Luiz Sokratis Kolasinac/Tierney
    Guendouxhi Xhaka
    Pepe Ceballos/Torreira PEA
    Lacazette

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Good to see an Irishman 4th place in O.R.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Whatever happened about that B Silva tweet. Can he still be banned.

Whatever happened about that B Silva tweet. Can he still be banned.

Edit -

Date has been pushed back for the hearing.

So yes he can still be banned and will most likely be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Just seen Xhaka leaving (substituted) the pitch being booed by his own fans and taking his jersey off before walking down the tunnel. Told them to **** off too.

Horrible to see. If he’s not playing we’ll surely it’s not on purpose ? Should the fans not be giving he manager a hard time.

Have to be honest and say it was hard to watch. I know we all think we can say what we want but i don’t like to see that. Felt really sorry for Xhaka.

In FPL terms I wonder what it will mean.

Are we likely to see him dropped with Guendouzi and one of Ceballos or Torreira starting every game now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

Just seen Xhaka leaving (substituted) the pitch being booed by his own fans and taking his jersey off before walking down the tunnel. Told them to **** off too.

Horrible to see. If he’s not playing we’ll surely it’s not on purpose ? Should the fans not be giving he manager a hard time.

Have to be honest and say it was hard to watch. I know we all think we can say what we want but i don’t like to see that. Felt really sorry for Xhaka.

Are we likely to see him dropped with Guendouzi and one of Ceballos or Torreira starting every game now ?

Arsenal are a truly weird one. Fantasy football wise and in general. You look at their midfield and team in general, and you know there's definitely a softness there. Xhaka is at the core of that imo. He's a nice player with lots of time on the ball, but when a good attack are getting numbers running beyond him he is floundering. Without plenty of time to pick a pass he looks less than ordinary. He's the captain of Arsenal and it sums the whole setup up imo.

They are years away from kicking on. In FPL terms, Aubameyang is the only real option. Lacazette should be an option but he's not due to the manager. Tierney should be an option but he's not due to the manager (that may change soon).

The whole thing is a complete mess imo and I think it's going to get a lot worse post Wenger before it gets better.

Am I off my tits to be considering Mendy as a C next week?

Green&Red wrote: »

Yes.

McBain11 wrote: »
    Arsenal are a truly weird one. Fantasy football wise and in general. You look at their midfield and team in general, and you know there's definitely a softness there. Xhaka is at the core of that imo. He's a nice player with lots of time on the ball, but when a good attack are getting numbers running beyond him he is floundering. Without plenty of time to pick a pass he looks less than ordinary. He's the captain of Arsenal and it sums the whole setup up imo.

They are years away from kicking on. In FPL terms, Aubameyang is the only real option. Lacazette should be an option but he's not due to the manager. Tierney should be an option but he's not due to the manager (that may change soon).

The whole thing is a complete mess imo and I think it's going to get a lot worse post Wenger before it gets better.

I really don’t see it that way at all.

I think they are very close to nailed on top 3-4 and then you go on from there.

Emery’s record is unreal. 3 consecutive European trophies. He is not a bad manager. He’s not even average. I think his biggest problem is not playing a consistent 11 in the league. He does chop around a bit.

Leno

Bellerin Luiz another Tierney

Guendouzi another

Pepe Ceballos Aubameyang

Lacazette

Another in defence is currently Sokratis and in midfield in could be Xhaka or Torreira.

Those 11 starting every week should finish top 4.

Their squad players are Chambers, Kolasinac, Ozil and Mkhi.

They have good younger players in Maitland-Niles, Willock, Saka, Martinelli.

That is not a bad squad.

They are currently 5th in the league.

Their front 3 could arguably start in almost every team in the league.

Two more windows could remove deadwood and add 2-3 players of quality.

The manager just needs to start playing his best 11 every ****ing week. In the same formation. Continuity (of selection) at that club for a few months would see automatic improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

As an Arsenal fan, I don't like to see it myself but the boos weren't that bad until he fired the armband at Auba, was strolling off when they needed a goal and then baited the crowd with his gesture. He's an arrogant so an so and epitomises the medriocity of the team over the last few years. He shouldn't even be in starting 11 never mind captain and I think the fans have had enough of him. Hard to see a way back for him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No

As an Arsenal fan, I don't like to see it myself but the boos weren't that bad until he fired the armband at Auba, was strolling off when they needed a goal and then baited the crowd with his gesture. He's an arrogant so an so and epitomises the medriocity of the team over the last few years. He shouldn't even be in starting 11 never mind captain and I think the fans have had enough of him. Hard to see a way back for him now.

I didn’t see all that. **** him so.

Suppose this isn’t the forum for it but I just felt for the guy and that wouldn’t by my style.

So if there’s no way back then will there be a more steady 2 in the middle now ?

Guendouzi is looking decent value maybe as 4.7m bench playing fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Anyone know what the odds for a draw in a head to head match would be. I have 3 now already this year. Don't know whether to laugh or cry about it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I didn’t see all that. **** him so.

Suppose this isn’t the forum for it but I just felt for the guy and that wouldn’t by my style.

So if there’s no way back then will there be a more steady 2 in the middle now ?

Guendouzi is looking decent value maybe as 4.7m bench playing fodder.

Hard to know what will happen yet, Emery said he was in the wrong and will discuss situation with club hierarchy. You'd have to assume they will ask Xhaka to apologise and strip him of the captaincy. Most fans want Torreira back in his usual dm role instead of this box to box role Emery is trying to force on him. Guendouzi has been excellent and will get the odd assist, decent bench fodder for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Guendouzi has been excellent and will get the odd assist, decent bench fodder for sure.

If he's solely going to be used as a bench fodder, why spend 4.7m, when there are 90 mins players at 4.4m, that 0.3m could be crucial later in the season

Ace2007 wrote: »
    If he's solely going to be used as a bench fodder, why spend 4.7m, when there are 90 mins players at 4.4m, that 0.3m could be crucial later in the season

Dendoncker playing in defence now.

Hayden hasn’t played recently, for whatever reason.

Nakamba has been nothing more than a 2 pointer since he’s come in.

For the extra 0.3m I’d be happy to have Guendouzi who’s had 2 assists already this season and looks to be growing as a player.

Likes to get forward and have a shot when he can or try a killer pass.

Would rather have him as first sub over the other 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I don’t think so. He’s nailed on to start (Pep nailed on) than KDB, Sterling or Aguero IMO.

I watched the game on Saturday and he was getting into good positions. Lacked composure when in great positions but he’s only back in the side recently. Had a decent chance to score which went for a corner and he’ll be there, thereabouts when City are attacking to get an assist.

Southampton looked poison so there will be a response you’d imagine. That said, this is Man City and they’re incredible.

A Mendy CS looks promising, all you need is an assist and great chance of 3BPs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dendoncker playing in defence now.

Hayden hasn’t played recently, for whatever reason.

Nakamba has been nothing more than a 2 pointer since he’s come in.

For the extra 0.3m I’d be happy to have Guendouzi who’s had 2 assists already this season and looks to be growing as a player.

Likes to get forward and have a shot when he can or try a killer pass.

Would rather have him as first sub over the other 3.

Hayden got sent off the week I bought him and has been suspended since and dropped .1
    He will be back next weekend
    I don’t know if he would have dislodged Matty Longstaff who has played well in his absence
    But Sean is now suspended for 3 games
    I’ll never ever play him though but may need him to sub in at some stage

• Advertisement

TAA - every podcast I listen to when they talk about an ideal team start with TAA at the back and four others

The guy has 43 points so far this season. While I don’t go along with the theory that you can compare him to midfielders of the same price, if I did McGinn, Yarmelenko and Grealish all have the same points.
    I think when you’re comparing him it needs to be against a cheap defender and using that 2.5m elsewhere. Look at any of those and you have Lascelles 36, Dunk 35, soyboy 33, Janmaat 29 FFS, they have four points all season

And yet I’ve yet to read about him being mass transferred out, how come?

Advertisement