Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General Chat 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think the BB should be used within 1-3 weeks of the WC.

100% agreed
    Start of season when things have settled down
    Or couple of weeks after wildcards is optimum time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

What did people think of the rule change ideas on the scoutcast?

For those that don't listen the discussion started from how annoying this w week has been and Jontys idea was to split the winter break into two blank weeks and instead of having 3 gws so close together at christmas make one of those a double so there is still 38 in total. Then went on to chips and they seemed to all agree that there should be a full set of chips for each half of the the season like there is with wildcards. There was also some talk about the cup but all I can remember of that was one person saying there should be cups with 100,000 to 200,000 in so you have a realistic chance of winning. Er yeah I don't think that makes for a realistic chance of winning it lol!

I was never really a fan of all the chips but they're clearly here to stay may as well make them as ridiculous as possible and have two sets. In a way it makes it a bit more fun as they will likely be used over very different weeks unlike now where the chip use is all clustered around dgws. The double then blanks isn't a goes for me the winter break structure isn't ideal for fpl but it is what it is.

Does anyone have any other ideas they think could realistically be considered by fpl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I think the BB should be used within 1-3 weeks of the WC.

I think in future I’ll be BB GW1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Looking at holding my Wildcard and Free hit for the double game-weeks. Presumably alot will be free-hitting in 31. As it stands the only confirmed games are:

Wolves v Bournemouth
    Burnley v Watford.

According to Ben Crelin:
    Norwich v Everton has 21% chance of being a blank
    Liverpool v Palce 42% chance
    Newcastle v Villa 50%
    Everything else more than likely is a blank.

So is it possible to build a team form here to GW31? Obviously if LFC go out against Chelsea in the cup alot will likely hold the free hit.

Looking at holding my Wildcard and Free hit for the double game-weeks. Presumably alot will be free-hitting in 31. As it stands the only confirmed games are:

Wolves v Bournemouth
    Burnley v Watford.

According to Ben Crelin:
    Norwich v Everton has 21% chance of going ahead.
    Liverpool v Paalce 42% chance
    Newcastle v Villa 50%

So is it possible to build a team form here to GW31? Obviously if LFC go out against Chelsea in the cup alot will likely hold the free hit.

Yep I’m hoping pool go out
    I want to hold free hit for DgW

As it stands I’d have 5 without them
    And tbh if they don’t have a game I still don’t know if I will free hit for the scrap that will be left
    If Newcastle villa goes ahead I’ll also be ok

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »

1 is always a bit risky if you have taken a couple of punts on new teams /players etc
    By gw2/3 things have settled

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Guru 123

Wolves v Bournemouth
    Burnley v Watford.

According to Ben Crelin:
    Norwich v Everton has 21% chance of going ahead.
    Liverpool v Paalce 42% chance
    Newcastle v Villa 50%

For Norwich Everton to be on it just needs Spurs to beat Norwich at home. Surely that's more than a one in 5 shot?

And if they don't then Spurs West Ham will go ahead. So guaranteed to be 3 games on. I think I'll try build towards that week with my next 2 or 3 transfers and try to avoid the free hi

jimmii wrote: »
    What did people think of the rule change ideas on the scoutcast?

For those that don't listen the discussion started from how annoying this w week has been and Jontys idea was to split the winter break into two blank weeks and instead of having 3 gws so close together at christmas make one of those a double so there is still 38 in total. Then went on to chips and they seemed to all agree that there should be a full set of chips for each half of the the season like there is with wildcards. There was also some talk about the cup but all I can remember of that was one person saying there should be cups with 100,000 to 200,000 in so you have a realistic chance of winning. Er yeah I don't think that makes for a realistic chance of winning it lol!

I was never really a fan of all the chips but they're clearly here to stay may as well make them as ridiculous as possible and have two sets. In a way it makes it a bit more fun as they will likely be used over very different weeks unlike now where the chip use is all clustered around dgws. The double then blanks isn't a goes for me the winter break structure isn't ideal for fpl but it is what it is.

Does anyone have any other ideas they think could realistically be considered by fpl?

I really really enjoy the mass of gameweeks across Xmas
    I’d hate if they made it a double gameweek

This winter break is the premier leagues idea and it just doesn’t work for fantasy
    But that’s the way it is
    It would be horrible to have back to back skinny weeks imo
    It’s not ideal the way it it but it’s the lesser of two evils

The chips idea is interesting ........I do like to play them when I see fit . Often earlier than other players .
    This has allowed me to make gains and then I have to strategize how to lessen the impact of not having them later in season
    I think more chips takes away a lot of the strategy and will **** the more casual player

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

For Norwich Everton to be on it just needs Spurs to beat Norwich at home. Surely that's more than a one in 5 shot?

And if they don't then Spurs West Ham will go ahead. So guaranteed to be 3 games on. I think I'll try build towards that week with my next 2 or 3 transfers and try to avoid the free hi

I edited my post. It should have said 'being a blank' instead of 'going ahead'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What would we think of a BB this week of mccarthy, boly, taylor and mooy.

I'd go for it. I'm playing mine it this week with Pope Fleck Lascelles and Stephens.

• Advertisement

I like their idea for cup entry though
    Nice and simple
    On a given week you just click to enter the cup
    That’s ensures only active players gain entry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I'd go for it. I'm playing mine it this week with Pope Fleck Lascelles and Stephens.

I'm playing it too. Same bench as that apart from Hayden instead of Fleck. I'm concerned Hayden has lost his place so may upgrade.

km79 wrote: »
    I like their idea for cup entry though
    Nice and simple
    On a given week you just click to enter the cup
    That’s ensures only active players gain entry

Knew there was something else! Yeah totally agree with that maybe something like give people the 4 gameweeks in the run up to the start of the cup the opportunity to enter. I was thinking maybe regional cups one for each country or something. Similar to how it's done with the national leagues so theres a league champion and cup champion for each country.

Totally agree on the double/back to back blanks just dont like that idea at all. As you say the hectic schedule around Christmas/New Year is good fun it's probably my favourite part of the season. More chips seems the most likely as, as they said on the podcast, that's surely going to get the website more clicks and increase interactions. Be interesting to see what the next changes we see will be.

The other thing was about making DMs part of the game. I'm not sure about that, as one of them mentioned, part of the reason fpl works so well is it's pretty dam simple and you can pretty much work out your score just by seeing the results and scores once you start adding recovery or tackle points etc it makes things a lot more complicated and favours the more hardcore which seems to go against recent rule changes.

Oh and positional changes. The heat map idea is probably a fair way to do it. Seems a bit ridiculous that players who play in virtually the same position are listed in different positions in fpl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I did it one and got 16 extra points. Its the only week you can effectively use a wildcard and BB together. But I had to go with a full squad of certain starters

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I planned to do it this year but chickened out at the last minute. I think its a great week to play BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

I planned to do it this year but chickened out at the last minute. I think its a great week to play BB.

Trialled it last 2 years with my ‘sisters team’.. first year got a gameweek rank in the 100s but this year finished 30/40 points behind real team.

Depends on fixture list I suppose. Also you’re gonna have to spend transfers in first quarter of the season steaming-lining your team again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I am playing my BB this week

McCarthy Egan Cantwell and Lascelles on the bench at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

What would we think of a BB this week of mccarthy, boly, taylor and mooy.

So I didnt do this in the end. Which would have meant baldock to boly. Instead I did a -4 of auba and mooy to vardy and traore. So baldock vardy and traore 5 pts (-4) versus boly auba and mooy 21 pts. Cost myself 20 pts. Bench Boost ended up getting me 16 pts which Im happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Just saw Fernándes penalty. Very strange technique, wouldn't trust him at all on pens

siblers wrote: »
    Just saw Fernándes penalty. Very strange technique, wouldn't trust him at all on pens

Haven’t seen it
    But 15/15 career pens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

siblers wrote: »

Haven’t seen it but always felt that way with Jorginho & he doesn’t seem to miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

km79 wrote: »
    Haven’t seen it
    But 15/15 career pens

That sheds a different light. He did this little jump before he kicked it. Looked like something Son would do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Auba going up in price and he's not playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭howareyakid

KDB dispatched that penalty well. Hopefully he stays on them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭patmac

I wonder if the corona virus will have an effect, games already called off in Italy. Think I will be stockpile my chips just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Porthallian

patmac wrote: »
    I wonder if the corona virus will have an effect, games already called off in Italy. Think I will be stockpile my chips just in case.

Might wanna get some beans too

patmac wrote: »

I think we're still a good way off English games being at risk. Would not be surprised to see some Champions League and Europa games rescheduled though especially any involving Italian clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

jimmii wrote: »
    I think we're still a good way off English games being at risk. Would not be surprised to see some Champions League and Europa games rescheduled though especially any involving Italian clubs.

Inter v Ludogorets (I've prob got the spelling wrong) is to be played behind closed doors tonight. I would expect this to be a more likely solution than mass postponements as the TV money is huge so sky and bt won't want to lose their product.

I know some Italian fixtures were already postponed so not saying more won't be, just that I think in many other areas, including England, the situation would have to get much, much more grave before that was even a consideration, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Observation from the Rugby forums is that Football revenue is primarily from TV, whilst Rugby (6 Nations) is about gate receipts.

All FPL games being played in empty stadiums is therefore doable but the 6 Nations games would have to be postponed.

• Advertisement

Yeah true ticket sales are really just a bonus for football clubs.

Advertisement