Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General Chat 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Can I ask why you would be using FTs this week? There are no fixtures on the horizon

There's no fixtures but the week is still operating as normal so we all get a free transfer each week, is my understanding of it. It makes sense to offload players that we're 100% sure we don't want, rather than just lose the transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Can I ask why you would be using FTs this week? There are no fixtures on the horizon

To clean up the squad a bit. Most of us have a couple of players we would love to get out but theres a more important transfer to make due to fixtures/form. Realistically we'll probably not see any premier league for a while may as well do a bit of spring cleaning now we have the chance. May as well as the transfer will just be lost otherwise. To justify using the transfers over letting them go they only need to give 1 point higher expectation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Think it's better to use them than lose them because we don't know what's going to happen. Fernandes is a player I wanted for the run in so I'm going to get him in and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

My life is kinda empty without FPL :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭COH

Rikand wrote: »
    My life is kinda empty without FPL :(

Mine seems infinitely better ... no bullsh1t Pep team sheets, no VAR, no inevitable disappointment when Liverpool concede...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

The boredom of international breaks has prepped me for the lack of FPL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

shineon23 wrote: »
    The boredom of international breaks has prepped me for the lack of FPL!

At least the international breaks you could find Hurling, Rugby, American Football to entertain you. BT had live badminton on yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Shedite27 wrote: »
    At least the international breaks you could find Hurling, Rugby, American Football to entertain you. BT had live badminton on yesterday!

There was some Rugby League on SkySports earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Watching old episodes of motd 2 I hadn't bothered with before:
    https://youtu.be/WNVHehtMsk4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Watching old episodes of motd 2 I hadn't bothered with before:
    https://youtu.be/WNVHehtMsk4

Jaysus imagine what you'll be at in two weeks time if you're already on motd2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1239294250891784192

Euros in December
    AFCON in January

Yeah I’m not playing next year !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Cartman78

km79 wrote: »
    Euros in December
    AFCON in January

Yeah I’m not playing next year !

Not good....my Excel planner will be under serious pressure.

Might have to get on to the boffins in Microsoft to code in some new functionality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I assume this has been posted before but I totally missed if, worth reading if you haven’t already
    https://www.premierleague.com/news/1645367?sf231502985=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Why can’t the euros be played in the summer of 2021 rather than interrupting next season ?

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Why can’t the euros be played in the summer of 2021 rather than interrupting next season ?

Nations league
    Uefa won’t want to lose revenue
    It’s all about the money yo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Nations league

Also read that the women's euros is in 2021 and being held in England - could they hold 2 events in one year? If UEFA want to grow women's football - they will want it to be stand alone event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Nations league

Only the semis and final due to take place in June 2021. That can be easily moved.

I think a lot of people are under the assumption that the 2020-21 season will start in August 2020. I don’t believe there is any chance of that. The 2019-20 season will be completed first imo.

December sounds a little late but an Oct/Nov Euros could take place before a truncated season in 2021, if football ends up being shut down for 3 months now.

Benimar wrote: »
    Only the semis and final due to take place in June 2021. That can be easily moved.

I think a lot of people are under the assumption that the 2020-21 season will start in August 2020. I don’t believe there is any chance of that. The 2019-20 season will be completed first imo.

I would be inclined to agree though I do think there could be several issues that could come into play.

1. Players whose contracts expire at 30 June this year - what happens these players - Will clubs give them an extra year's deal, what if another team wants to buy them - especially if the other team is abroad - will players risk playing on or move. Continuing with this, players whose contracts are up in June 2021 - potentially impact if seasons starts late.

2. Big money Asia/US tours - everyone knows these are done for commercial reasons.

3. What other European countries do could impact what PL do - they won't want a situation that they are starting a league 2/3 months after other countries - especially for transfer window issues.

4. If the Euros were pushed to autumn/winter of 2020 - that throws a spammer in the works.

Lots of questions and problems, however I can't see the PL being anyone's issue in the short term the way the UK are handling this virus, they'll be lucky if there is match played before May I feel.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I would be inclined to agree though I do think there could be several issues that could come into play.

1. Players whose contracts expire at 30 June this year - what happens these players - Will clubs give them an extra year's deal, what if another team wants to buy them - especially if the other team is abroad - will players risk playing on or move. Continuing with this, players whose contracts are up in June 2021 - potentially impact if seasons starts late.

2. Big money Asia/US tours - everyone knows these are done for commercial reasons.

3. What other European countries do could impact what PL do - they won't want a situation that they are starting a league 2/3 months after other countries - especially for transfer window issues.

4. If the Euros were pushed to autumn/winter of 2020 - that throws a spammer in the works.

Lots of questions and problems, however I can't see the PL being anyone's issue in the short term the way the UK are handling this virus, they'll be lucky if there is match played before May I feel.

The majority of the world is in the same boat. Try find a live game to watch!

I can foresee a scenario where FIFA ‘pause’ football for 2/3 months.

Player contracts would be extended by that length of time. The transfer window would be moved.

There won’t be any Asia/US tours this summer, certainly not to the US anyway considering no one from Europe is currently allowed in!

If England, or the PL, was the only league delayed I could see pressure on them to finish quickly/abandon but as everyone is in the same boat I’m more inclined to believe the current season will finish and next season amended...in all leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Captain fail again.

• Advertisement

Italy now aiming for a May 9 restart. Would push Serie A into July.

If one country takes this route, I can see them all following suit.

Benimar wrote: »
    Italy now aiming for a May 9 restart. Would push Serie A into July.

If one country takes this route, I can see them all following suit.

Given that the UK seem to be going down the route of isolating the elderly/sick for 12 weeks, I can't see May being a runner, Can't even see how Italy think May is a runner. Really shows you that they only care about money.

You would imagine that there is some rule that determines what happens if a season is not finished - even in the most unlikely event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Given that the UK seem to be going down the route of isolating the elderly/sick for 12 weeks, I can't see May being a runner, Can't even see how Italy think May is a runner. Really shows you that they only care about money.

You would imagine that there is some rule that determines what happens if a season is not finished - even in the most unlikely event.

Or its to put further pressure on UEFA to push back the Euros

Also purely selfishly, I would love if they find a way to get football back for this date. It would be an important outlet for people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

What’s not been mentioned when the ‘cancel the season’ plan is mooted is that there might be more interruptions to next season too - then you end up with 2 cancelled seasons. That’s why I think they should just play this season out.. then make a plan for next season.

What’s not been mentioned when the ‘cancel the season’ plan is mooted is that there might be more interruptions to next season too - then you end up with 2 cancelled seasons. That’s why I think they should just play this season out.. then make a plan for next season.

Agreed .
    If they have to truncate next season so be it
    No cups
    Only one round of games
    Whatever
    At least they can plan for it ahead of time

Anyone else surprised how long phone battery lasts without FPL ?

Some FPL days I’ve had to recharge by 2pm but last few days I’m going to bed and there’s still 30-40% left on my phone.

Anyone else surprised how long phone battery lasts without FPL ?

Some FPL days I’ve had to recharge by 2pm but last few days I’m going to bed and there’s still 30-40% left on my phone.

Was thinking the same last night!!!!!!!
    I will be bowing out at end of this season whenever that is. For a year at least.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

I will be bowing out at end of this season whenever that is. For a year at least.....

I did it 5/6 years ago (the year Liverpool had Suarez/Sturridge firing on all cylinders). Best fpl decision I ever made!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Also surprised at how clean my house is, all clothes washed and dried, a walk every day and have taken up reading again. Re-thinking How much time football (and ff) takes in my life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Goway out of that, the past week has definitely provided some perspective to what is important, but j reckon by the time FPL finally returns the itch will be scratching like mad for us all :D

Advertisement