Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General Chat 2019/20

Comments

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Goway out of that, the past week has definitely provided some perspective to what is important, but j reckon by the time FPL finally returns the itch will be scratching like mad for us all :D

Yeah. What harm is it really ?

People spend time and money doing a lot lot worse. Smoking, drinking and gambling are just a few.

No harm in having an innocent hobby. Whether it be stamp collecting or skydiving or anything in between. Go with snooker for the alliteration.

If one wants to get some time back then just implement time and day restrictions for the FPL game itself. Enjoy the games you want to watch and maybe only login 1-2 times a week. Logging in on a Friday night or Saturday would be a good habit anyway as you’ll have all the info you need just prior to transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

FPL is one of my escapes from the reality of everyday life...can't imagine giving it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

FPL as a hobby is great, something you can do in your own time, costs nothing, harmless health wise.

When you are getting sad on a Saturday night because your captain failed or are spending Saturdays watching Bournemouth V Watford rather than spending time with kids or getting exercise, you need to step back IMO.

I’ve always felt the Gameweek threads are to be avoided for that reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51954580

Premier league expected to acknowledge the season won't restart on April 4th. Presumably it's just a get together to decide how they can try save as much as possible on legal fees. You'd like to think they'll be able to come up with a sensible solution but hard to imagine it's going to be possible to please everyone.

Hearts just announced they're cutting wages by 50% for everyone at the club (so long as it doesnt take them below min wage) I'd imagine that's the route a lot will take to try get the business through this without losing staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Heart of Midlothian??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

NO change to GW deadlines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

Benimar wrote: »
    NO change to GW deadlines!!

A complete farce. If the PL resumes as they think it might in early May, you could have clubs with 5/6 fixtures in gw38.

You could also see the PL pushed back another couple of weeks to mid May and if that was to happen you would be in the hilarious scenerio of gw38 being the only gameweek left to play and all teams having 8 or 9 fixtures in that gameweek.

Is it that hard to pause the schedule and resume from gameweek 31 in May? Surely that is not that hard to do is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Wildcard GW 37, bench boost gw38.

Nice and easy

only for capt to get injured first 5 mins and not play the remaining games of the gameweek:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

McBain11 wrote: »
    A complete farce. If the PL resumes as they think it might in early May, you could have clubs with 5/6 fixtures in gw38.

You could also see the PL pushed back another couple of weeks to mid May and if that was to happen you would be in the hilarious scenerio of gw38 being the only gameweek left to play and all teams having 8 or 9 fixtures in that gameweek.

Is it that hard to pause the schedule and resume from gameweek 31 in May? Surely that is not that hard to do is it?

The Fantasy Game can, the actual football will restart with the GW36 fixtures, with GWs 30-35 rescheduled.

I can see there being an FPL GW 39 and 40, with GW36-40 all being DGWs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

The Fantasy Game can, the actual football will restart with the GW36 fixtures, with GWs 30-35 rescheduled.

Oh ya, I know that all those fixtures will be rescheduled in the real sense. I'm just wondering why gw36 when they believe the PL will resume cannot just become gw31 in effect. Move on from there then.

I see lads mentioning the software and they are probably spot on. Either way, it makes a nonsense of the whole season. The regular leagues are a farce now, but the h2h are another level altogether. You're looking at 6 gameweeks minimum of 0-0 draws!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone thinking of getting Kane back in??? ;-)

It would surely be easier to adjust dates than add gameweek though. You would have thought if they can add more gameweek then they can surely adjust the dates!

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of getting Kane back in??? ;-)

Maybe but not if it's in August!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

jimmii wrote: »
    Maybe but not if it's in August!

Does harry still not score in August ? Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Does harry still not score in August ? Lol

Broke that duck this season - scored 2 goals in the opening game.

Football Club
    Right, so an idea I've seen on Twitter, we pick a classic game, we all watch it, and discuss it as if it just happened. First up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Darksoul

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Football Club
    Right, so an idea I've seen on Twitter, we pick a classic game, we all watch it, and discuss it as if it just happened. First up....

Van Persie with the best header I seen from a unbelievable ball to him,the flying Dutchman !

How many people can watch a game they know the result to ?

I’ve never been able to do it.

I’ve lived in different time zones over the years and if I can’t see the game live then I’ll need to see it ‘live’ to be able to watch it.

‘Live’ now means I’ll record what is a 2am kick off and watch it when I get up without knowing the result.

If I ever see the result, by mistake, I just can’t watch the game. So what does that say ? I can only watch when there is some drama or unknown quality about it.

The only exception is if I accidentally see the result of a Liverpool game. I will watch it but the experience is totally different.

Compare that to me avoiding the result and being able to watch Watford v’s Brighton. No problem.

Is it similar for most ? Does knowing the result make the game near impossible to watch ?

I lived in Africa in the 90s and we used to get games sent over on vhs in the post sometimes it would take a couple of weeks to be able to see a game by that point if I had seen the result I would normally have forgotten anyway! I think I would struggle to keep my interest if I knew exactly what the score was going to be too especially for a typical league game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

How many people can watch a game they know the result to ?

I’ve never been able to do it.

I’ve lived in different time zones over the years and if I can’t see the game live then I’ll need to see it ‘live’ to be able to watch it.

‘Live’ now means I’ll record what is a 2am kick off and watch it when I get up without knowing the result.

If I ever see the result, by mistake, I just can’t watch the game. So what does that say ? I can only watch when there is some drama or unknown quality about it.

The only exception is if I accidentally see the result of a Liverpool game. I will watch it but the experience is totally different.

Compare that to me avoiding the result and being able to watch Watford v’s Brighton. No problem.

Is it similar for most ? Does knowing the result make the game near impossible to watch ?

I watched Mayo Vs Galway from 1998 in its entirety yesterday
    I was at it in 98
    I knew the result
    I still watched it

I’m STARVED for sport :D

But again has reinforced my decision not to play next year
    I miss just enjoyin the sport
    I don’t miss fantasy apart from this forum

Just seen plans to run the league off over 6 weeks from start of June
    And start next season as planned
    No thanks

So if it’s start of June will FPL just run it all as one GW ?

So if it’s start of June will FPL just run it all as one GW ?

No one knows. You would have to assume they won't go back and move the dates theyve already confirmed so that really means the only options are cancel season, have a potentially monster gameweek or add additional weeks (39, 40 etc). The sensible option was to just amend deadline dates but that option appears to have been discarded.

Theres live sport on BT1! Aussie rules has never been so interesting before!

Oh wow that whistle gets annoying QUICKLY.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

God I am really missing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

So can you really make transfers or is it just a glitch? Surely they'll void them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

eh i dunno wrote: »
    So can you really make transfers or is it just a glitch? Surely they'll void them

They categorically stated you can and all transfers wildcards played will count
    And all deadlines remain

So they way it’s looking all games will be played in a non existent gameweek or gw38 imo Cos a ball won’t be kicked this side of June

Newcastle J v Melbourne City live on BT1. If you squint a bit then you could pretend its Palace v Man City!

• Advertisement

jimmii wrote: »
    Newcastle J v Melbourne City live on BT1. If you squint a bit then you could pretend its Palace v Man City!

Aguero benched :mad:

Advertisement