Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General Chat 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

CSF wrote: »
    Isn’t it weird that they haven’t clarified exactly what they’re going to do? Even if it is implied, why not just clarify and avoid any doubt.

Very weird I don't understand how they've let themselves get into this position it's like no one wanted to charge and make a decision on it. Instead they're just making everyone feel completely out of the loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah well I’ve used my WC this week and I’ll use BB next week.
    Yeah me too, just loaded up on attacking players, figure it'll be all out attack with the quick turnarounds, not over relying on any teams, and a few punts on players. It's a bit different to picking when you're only playing 11 players, and have upcoming fixtures to choose from.

Guaita Pope
    TAA Alonso Doherty Aurier Sidibe
    Mahrez Son Mane Sarr Fernandez
    Jiminez DCL Origi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Shedite27 wrote: »
    My reading of this is that once GW38 deadline passes, our teams are locked and we can't make any more transfers.
    Then if any games are scheduled in June, our teams are locked in, and they'll just recalculate tables at the end of each day.

Now I totally accept they may change that, but as of right now, that's how the season will play out, so anyone who's not ready for that scenario only has themselves to blame.

Assume they're going to do what they say, until they tell us otherwise.

That is your interpretation. Mine is that they have stuck to their gameweek deadlines rigidly all along. No fixtures have been refixed for gw 38. This deadline will come and go with no extra games. Games can not retrospectively be added to any gameweek. Therefore the game ends.
    I am not "preparing" for unknown gameweek/s as overall transfers may decide me making top 1k or not. I am currently 6 places outside it.
    So saying anybody who is not ready for an unknown scenario outside the rules of the game only has themselves to blame is untrue.
    Based on the way the game has been run since gw31 the game ends next weekend. Nobody can be ready for any other scenario as it is a complete unknown and most likely there is no other scenario.

If they just decide to change the rules and add them all to 38 retrospectively what would be stopping them changing the rules and adding them back onto the gameweeks they were due to be played in?
    That is assuming of course they are played at all. And the players you bring in are still at the clubs etc

I am sitting tight. I do not really care what happens now anyway but would like to retire with top 1k finish all the same

Yeah me too, just loaded up on attacking players, figure it'll be all out attack with the quick turnarounds, not over relying on any teams, and a few punts on players. It's a bit different to picking when you're only playing 11 players, and have upcoming fixtures to choose from.

Guaita Pope
    TAA Alonso Doherty Aurier Sidibe
    Mahrez Son Mane Sarr Fernandez
    Jiminez DCL Origi

The Alonso pick could be great but he may not get the minutes.

Afraid I don’t like the Aurier, Son or Origi picks. Mahrez is a dodgy one too.

Like the rest of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭shmeee

Why are players using chips?

Are they under a rock?

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    That is your interpretation. Mine is that they have stuck to their gameweek deadlines rigidly all along. No fixtures have been refixed for gw 38. This deadline will come and go with no extra games. Games can not retrospectively be added to any gameweek.
    Are you saying they morally can't add games to a gameweek? Coz they definitely can technically as you saw when West Ham/City moved earlier this season. It was in the same gameweek but changed date. So I'm guessing you'e saying it would be bad form yeah?
    I am not "preparing" for unknown gameweek/s as overall transfers may decide me making top 1k or not. I am currently 6 places outside it.
    So saying anybody who is not ready for an unknown scenario outside the rules of the game only has themselves to blame is untrue.
    Based on the way the game has been run since gw31 the game ends next weekend. Nobody can be ready for any other scenario as it is a complete unknown and most likely there is no other scenario.

If they just decide to change the rules and add them all to 38 retrospectively what would be stopping them changing the rules and adding them back onto the gameweeks they were due to be played in?
    That is assuming of course they are played at all. And the players you bring in are still at the clubs etc

I am sitting tight. I do not really care what happens now anyway but would like to retire with top 1k finish all the same
    Maybe I'd think differently if I was on the cusp of 1k, I'm about 180k so maybe matter less to me. For me either:
    1. Season doesn't get finished - nothing lost for me.
    2. Season gets refixed into GW31-38 and rearrnanged - I've lost my chips. Drop from 180k to about 300/400k.
    3. They play all games in GW38 per my interpretation, I've a team much better setup for that - big jump.

I can understand playing more defensive in your position if you're withing 10 spots of your goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Is there a deadline for a gameweek to end? I thought that was only for it to begin? Remember when United v Bournemouth was pulled on the last day of the season. It counted.

So hard to know what they will do. If they have time to do like 10 ‘whose stats are these’ on Twitter I feel they really should have clarified.

Is there a deadline for a gameweek to end? I thought that was only for it to begin? Remember when United v Bournemouth was pulled on the last day of the season. It counted.

So hard to know what they will do. If they have time to do like 10 ‘whose stats are these’ on Twitter I feel they really should have clarified.

That's my interpretation.

Been making that point for ages but seemed no one was reading reading it the same way! The other gameweeks obviously end when the next one begins but 38 technically doesn't have an ending and the rules states the week ends on the last game of that match day or something like that which ties in with a monster 38 and then they can say well thats what it's always said. Still feels crazy and if they do that and always intended to the lack of clarification is really bad form.

shmeee wrote: »
    Why are players using chips?

Are they under a rock?

I get the WC use but the rest is baffling. Maybe just using it for the sake of using it? Who knows!

• Advertisement

That's my interpretation.

I think it’s very wrong that we have to interpret though. You have an active FPL Twitter account. One less tweet about who got assists in GW 13, 15 and 21 and you’ve a few free minutes to clarify what will happen.

I think it’s very wrong that we have to interpret though. You have an active FPL Twitter account. One less tweet about who got assists in GW 13, 15 and 21 and you’ve a few free minutes to clarify what will happen.

Yeah its ridiculous no matter if they have a plan or not. Doesn't seem like it's too much to ask for them to let us know what their intentions are. No matter if they support it or not they are well aware that a lot of people have money riding on these leagues.

jimmii wrote: »
    I get the WC use but the rest is baffling. Maybe just using it for the sake of using it? Who knows!

Yeah it’s weird. But not as if there’s a downside to it in many cases either. My free hit will ultimately go unused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

They've always come across as a bunch of amateurs imo. Stopped following them on Twitter because their tweets are mostly pointless.

It stayed within the same Gameweek though

Are you saying they morally can't add games to a gameweek? Coz they definitely can technically as you saw when West Ham/City moved earlier this season. It was in the same gameweek but changed date. So I'm guessing you'e saying it would be bad form yeah?

Maybe I'd think differently if I was on the cusp of 1k, I'm about 180k so maybe matter less to me. For me either:
    1. Season doesn't get finished - nothing lost for me.
    2. Season gets refixed into GW31-38 and rearrnanged - I've lost my chips. Drop from 180k to about 300/400k.
    3. They play all games in GW38 per my interpretation, I've a team much better setup for that - big jump.

I can understand playing more defensive in your position if you're withing 10 spots of your goal.

West ham city stayed within same gameweek

What ye are suggesting will happen Is that games will be added to a gameweek AFTER deadline for transfers , chips and setting up teams has passed
    That has never happened
    And should not
    If they are being crammed into gw38 they need to say it
    And really should have by now

Absolutely, should have clarified by now. Anyway, I've made my bed, I'm assuming:
    1. Gameweek deadlines stay the same - as they've stated.
    2. All PL games will be in some FPL Gameweek.
    3. GW38 will be the only active gameweek when the fixtures are announced, therfore all remaining games are in GW38.

If they change and add GW39, 40 etc, c'est la vie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

Their twitter feed is appalling. 2 months to clarify what is potentially happening and a not a peep out of them, they want you to guess who got an assist in GW12,17 and 19 though. Jaysus, if I see another 'whose stats are these'.

Idiots.

Absolutely, should have clarified by now. Anyway, I've made my bed, I'm assuming:
    1. Gameweeks stay the same - as they've stated.
    3. GW38 will be the only active gameweek when the fixtures are announced, therfore all remaining games are in GW38.

I might play Free Hit next week but I really just hope it’s over !
    Can’t be arsed with it anymore
    Disappointing way for my best season every time peter out
    Got “promoted “ to premier league today as well.
    Made it all the way up in just 5 seasons

It stayed within the same Gameweek though

It did. I still think it illustrates how there is flexibility on closing the deadline if they wish to. I truly dont know if they actually will.

My personal opinion (and let’s be honest we’re all guessing here really) is that if there’s a solution this week they will keep it open. If it’s still up in the air next Sunday then I think it’s more than a 50% chance that they close it and if you’re top of the league you’ve won.

• Advertisement

1. Gameweek deadlines stay the same - as they've stated.

I think the 39 and 40 etc option is really really unlikely for various reasons. I think if it does come back we are looking at one giant week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,909 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think they'll just decide to cancel it. There'll be multiple complaints about everything. You'll have nohopers in big money leagues who'll complain that it's unfair to finish it anybway other than week by week. You'll have a lot if people taking alternate views on it and they'll just decide to cancel the season.

I think the 39 and 40 etc option is really really unlikely for various reasons. I think if it does come back we are looking at one giant week.

I get the sense it will just end next week. If it does come back with a monster gameweek for 38 though, is that any more desirable than the abrupt ending. People who have chips aren't certain of when to use them as there has been no feedback from FPL. Some will be smart and wildcard 37, benchboost 38. A lot won't thinking there's potential for a new set of GWs 39,40 etc.

Then you have the scenario where one monster GW38 destroys the integrity of the leagues. If you have a benchboost and use it for the monster gw38, you could potentially make up 100-200 points on players who used theirs earlier in the season. That is a farce.

What is a bigger farce though is the lack of communication from FPL. I think everyone would understand that they are uncertain how to proceed considering the circumstances. If they would just let people know whether it is possible to reschedule those GW30-38 into GW 39,40 etc. we'd have one piece of the puzzle solved. If they'd just let us know that the GW38 is open ended until or if the PL resumes in June, that's another piece of the puzzle solved.

Woeful stuff from FPL given the amount of time that has elapsed.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think they'll just decide to cancel it. There'll be multiple complaints about everything. You'll have nohopers in big money leagues who'll complain that it's unfair to finish it anybway other than week by week. You'll have a lot if people taking alternate views on it and they'll just decide to cancel the season.

There is a huge difference between cancelling the season (resetting everyone's score to zero essentially) and ending the season where players who were top at the end of gw30 are the league winners.

This is exactly the clarity that should be coming out from FPL.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that no matter what they do they will face a barrage of complaints.

They could just be like there were 38 gameweeks it's over deal with it. It's a 38 week game just because theres no fixtures it doesnt matter. I'm glad I don't run any leagues for the ones where there is decent money on the line it's a very tricky position. I know of one £1k league I'd imagine theres plenty more like that which aren't known. Can see this ending a few friendships!

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that no matter what they do they will face a barrage of complaints.

Yeah guaranteed. Dammed if they do dammed if they don't now. Would be interesting to hear if they would do it differently if they could go back.

jimmii wrote: »
    They could just be like there were 38 gameweeks it's over deal with it. It's a 38 week game just because theres no fixtures it doesnt matter. I'm glad I don't run any leagues for the ones where there is decent money on the line it's a very tricky position. I know of one £1k league I'd imagine theres plenty more like that which aren't known. Can see this ending a few friendships!
    Every league will have to take its lead from the main game
    If they cancel league and don’t award number one top prize then all leagues do the same
    If they do then all league does the same
    That would be my take on it

I don’t care either way
    The goodness is gone from it

If they cancel league and don’t award number one top prize then all leagues do the same

I don’t care either way
    Absolutely, the ructions only begin if people start to think they’ve the power to make executive decisions.

• Advertisement

I don’t care either way

Yeah but there will always be people who aren't happy no matter what way it's done! Glad I'm not involved in anything like that this year. It would be hard not to feel hard done by if you were 2nd with a couple of chips you use and only a point behind top who had used all theirs already. There will no doubt be some melt downs on twitter!

Advertisement