Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get into cycling

Options
  • 12-06-2019 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'm looking to get into cycling, just because it's something that's always interested me and I want to get into a hobby that'll keep me in great shape.

I'm male, 5'7, roughly 10st, inseam of around 28/29", I don't know what size I should really be after.
    I'm planning on getting fitted if possible but I want to buy second hand because moneys tight as I'm trying to go back to college.

I'm after a racing bike, drop handlebars etc.

I'll be selling my old mountain bike so I'll have around €500-600 to spend on the bike plus some extra which I'll build up over time for clothing, shoes etc.

Any bikes you've come across for sale which would be a good option?
    What are somethings I should be looking to get and what should I avoid?

Any advice really is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that sort of budget should get you a decent enough secondhand bike. the size you are though (reasonably similar to me) is not the size where you'll find a huge number of bikes for sale, so you may have to wait a bit before seeing one which suits.
    where do you live? if you want to take up cycling, one option would be to join a local club.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’d imagine a 54cm in most/makes and models would suit you. I think a 52cm frame might be too small cramped but do t discount them either as they may be suitable. Find some bikes locally even from your local bike shop and try out a few sizes to get an idea what will/won’t fit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

I’m about 5’9, maybe 5’10 on a good day. Have a 54 cm specialized and a 52 cm canyon, both fit fairly ok. Different makes size a bit differently.
    Plenty of value second hand but you need to have an idea about various makes and components. If you spot something online, throw up a link here and you’ll get a few informed opinions (hopefully).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

that sort of budget should get you a decent enough secondhand bike. the size you are though (reasonably similar to me) is not the size where you'll find a huge number of bikes for sale, so you may have to wait a bit before seeing one which suits.
    where do you live? if you want to take up cycling, one option would be to join a local club.

Good to hear, I'm at an awkward height for trousers so I was thinking alright that I might struggle for a good bike fit.

There's a Felt Felt F 85 series Road Racer for €390 at the moment, looks to be in good nick and a size 54.

I'm east galway, there's a couple of cycling clubs out by me and a pro team apparently, the roads are always full of cyclists so that's a good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

I’d imagine a 54cm in most/makes and models would suit you. I think a 52cm frame might be too small cramped but do t discount them either as they may be suitable. Find some bikes locally even from your local bike shop and try out a few sizes to get an idea what will/won’t fit you.

I think I'll go a see how a few fit anyway, if I'm putting that much money into something it'd want to suit.

I saw a planet x bike with Campagnolo Centaur 9 speed for just shy of €400.. I have no idea what I'm looking at in all honest it just seems nice.

• Advertisement

Usually a good seller will have no issue telling you what height and leg they are OP after that it's down to reach on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Most bikes will fit a large range of leg lengths by adjusting saddle height so that's not an issue.
    If you find one you really like that's either slightly too big or slightly too small there is the option of buying a different size stem for about €20 - €30. When sizing down the stem you can only make a small change without having an impact on stability there is more room to size up. It can work well if you feel like you are in between two sizes because of body proportions. Smallish frame and long stem can be very comfortable if you have good flexibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm about the same height as the OP (171cm i think) but with a longer inseam; i think 54cm would be pushing it, but for the OP's benefit - you're better buying a bike that marginally too small, than buying one that's marginally too big. you can more easily adjust a bike to be bigger than to be smaller.

one rule of thumb (which i've not used, and may be one of those ideas that sticks because it sounds 'truthy' rather than actually being the case) is that if you're between two sizes, go for the smaller one if your arm span is less than your height, and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah I'm 5'7 and have a trek and a cube both 52cm frames.

Advertisement