Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuild of an old house

Options
  • 12-06-2019 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Just looking for any advice.

I have a plot of land with an old house on it. I am looking at knocking and rebuilding a new build on this site. I am wondering has anyone any info on if I still have to pay the council fees such as road opening and connecting to power/water etc as this was previously there for the old house..

Also anyone have any names for good architects in the Louth area..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Ciaran10 wrote: »
    Just looking for any advice.

I have a plot of land with an old house on it. I am looking at knocking and rebuilding a new build on this site. I am wondering has anyone any info on if I still have to pay the council fees such as road opening and connecting to power/water etc as this was previously there for the old house..

Also anyone have any names for good architects in the Louth area..

Do you value your sanity? Why would anyone bring such a nightmare of a project onto themselves? Trademen is Ireland are just pure scum, pick the highest number imaginable,and promise promise promise and maybe come to make a start to hold a job and start and maybe finish it 12 months later. Life is not worth the amount of hassle you will draw on your life if you do this. If you do it, do a turnkey job or else only employ non-Irish labourers.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

I think the Guzman needs a large dose of cop the **** on. All tradesmen are scum where do u get off saying stuff like that. Did some one pee on your cornflakes this morning?

I think the Guzman needs a large dose of cop the **** on. All tradesmen are scum where do u get off saying stuff like that. Did some one pee on your cornflakes this morning?

They just think they can pick a random price out of their ass and as for completion dates forget about it. I have no huge problem with a price, however it is the typical bollocksology of "i'll be onto you next week" not answering the phone etc. Why would you bother? These lads think they are rocket scientists or brain surgeons when we all know they were the boys who could barely write their name in school years ago.

Don't employ Irish trademen is all I will say, grey hairs guaranteed and 33% price overruns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭rn

Hi ciaran, was in same boat as yourself.

The good news is that the existing house should really help you with planning. However it may restrict your design. I had to go with rebuilding like for like, plus adding an extension.

I demolished a mass concrete / stone/ red brick cottage. Replacing with modern cavity wall with 150mm full fill insulation on a kore passive raft.

You have to pay development levy to council before starting, after you have planing permission. For me it was 3600. You get absolutely nothing for that. Then I had to pay 1600 to Irish water to convert an existing connection from agricultural metered to domestic. They did no work for that. And I'm paying 2800 to esb networks. In fairness, they've to put in a few poles so at least I'm getting something for my spend. I have yet to talk to eir, I'm fortunate that fibre broadband passes by the property. But I believe eir won't deal until there's an eir code assigned, I'm waiting on that.

I had initial budget of 350k for a 2500sq ft house. Currently projection has it at 430k to livable finish. Might have to wait for next recession to finish it properly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

theguzman wrote: »
    Do you value your sanity? Why would anyone bring such a nightmare of a project onto themselves? Trademen is Ireland are just pure scum, pick the highest number imaginable,and promise promise promise and maybe come to make a start to hold a job and start and maybe finish it 12 months later. Life is not worth the amount of hassle you will draw on your life if you do this. If you do it, do a turnkey job or else only employ non-Irish labourers.
    Relax. You are completely off topic. Go elsewhere if you want to rant about tradesmen. But no more of this here please

• Advertisement

use the Report post function. No need for personal abuse

BryanF wrote: »
    Relax. You are completely off topic. Go elsewhere if you want to rant about tradesmen. But no more of this here please

This is the construction and planning forum isn't it? I don't think they would appreciate my honest and own experiences with tradesmen for example over in the aviation forum or in after hours. I was offering the guy advice but if its not welcome so be it.

theguzman wrote: »
    This is the construction and planning forum isn't it? I don't think they would appreciate my honest and own experiences with tradesmen for example over in the aviation forum or in after hours. I was offering the guy advice but if its not welcome so be it.

You were not offering advice relating to the OP’s question.

you’ve ignored mod instruction, have a day off.

Before posting again please read the forum charter

If you want discuss further contact the mods by PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭rn

Update on irish water.
    A contractor working on their behalf came out and installed a new underground box adjecent to agri box. So I did get something for my 1600. 300 of that 1600 was a road opening licence for the local council.

Advertisement