Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I the only person offended by Paloma Faith on Graham Norton?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Yeah, I dunno..any time I've seen her interviewed she kind of annoyed me.. she's kinda good looking.. other stuff I've heard has been hit and miss..that album is feckin epic though..

Shes can sing alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    There are many double standards when it comes to acceptable behaviour between men and women. I’ll give you a few:
    (A) woman coming on to a hot disinterested man, touching his dick through his pants, groping him- desperate. Man coming on strong to a disinterested woman, groping her-sex pest/rapist/sexual assault
    (B) woman sleeping with very drunk man out of her league- good girl yourself. Man sleeping with drunk woman out of his league-rape, taking advantage.
    (C) Man stalking woman- ring guards, freak. Woman stalking man- He’s a prick to play with her emotions.
    You forgot (D)
    Woman gives 12 year old boy his first kiss - ah, so damn cute!
    Man gives a 12 year old girl her first kiss - dirty creepy pedo!!

https://twitter.com/carrieunderwood/status/249715792432730112

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Vice versa as in there are guys who are ok with sleazy come-ons or worse if they fancy the woman, but not if they don't.

And then there are women and men who don't appreciate it even if they'd otherwise find the person attractive, and it turns them off them.

Crikey.

I appreciate you may not have had this opportunity before.

How is that working out for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The Graham Norton show is second only to A Question of Sport on the forced jollity scale.

It's utterly formulaic, with Graham constantly cackling away at stuff that's mildly amusing at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭wingnut

OP don't ever watch celebrity juice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've been to a Michael Buble concert with my wife, and when he walked through the crowd he was quite simply molested by dozens of women.

Security were holding them back but he still got his balls grabbed or nearly grabbed multiple times by everything from women ranging I'd say from 20s to 70s. He'd need to wear a cup.

What the hell like? Can you imagine the aforementioned Paloma Faith walking through the crowd at a gig and a load of lads grabbing her boobs or shoving their hands up her skirt?

So what's the solution? Some people got together and formed a movement to highlight sexual harassment and make it socially unacceptable - #metoo. I find it amusing how often the people who live to highlight instances of sexual harassment against men, such as the post above, are also opposed to the very movement which would actually highlight the unacceptable behaviour that some men face.

If there's an inequality, the solution is to highlight it and force it into public discussion. Force people to say what they think and have it scrutinised. The bad idea will become apparent quickly enough.

For example if someone thinks its dreadfully wrong to grab a woman but thinks its fine to grab Michael Buble, then they will really struggle to justify that opinion if asked to do so. So the solution is to ask them to do so.

I just spent the entire morning watching Anna Daly and Mark Cagney on Ireland Am.

Sorry Mark I have never found you in the slightest bit attractive, your smarmy Cork accent gets under my skin, being from the deep south you never stood a chance with me in fairness, from the get go. I hope you have a good weekend etc.

However Anna Daly is into a different stratosphere altogether. She has got her hair done and was wearing a sandy pair of really tight jeans and a low cut blouse. Tbh if I got half a chance I would do some serious unprintable maneuvers to her, particularly if she reciprocated. After Claire Byrne she is simply the foxiest thing on Irish Television.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I appreciate you may not have had this opportunity before.

How is that working out for you?
    Actually you haven't a clue. But given how you speak about women (and agreeing with a sociopathic post by someone who's like a fictional character on The Handmaid's Tale) I suspect YOU haven't had that opportunity before.

(You got personal, hence me getting personal).

Don't be so upset by someone simply refuting you. It's a discussion board and it happens.

I just spent the entire morning watching Anna Daly and Mark Cagney on Ireland Am.

Sorry Mark I have never found you in the slightest bit attractive, your smarmy Cork accent gets under my skin, being from the deep south you never stood a chance with me in fairness, from the get go. I hope you have a good weekend etc.

However Anna Daly is into a different stratosphere altogether. She has got her hair done and was wearing a sandy pair of really tight jeans and a low cut blouse. Tbh if I got half a chance I would do some serious unprintable maneuvers to her, particularly if she reciprocated. After Claire Byrne she is simply the foxiest thing on Irish Television.

That is all.

I'm very confused. Is this supposed to illicit a response along the lines of, "you cant say that about a woman presenter". To which you can reply " Gotcha. I also commented on the male presenter and you didn't get offended by that. Gotcha Gotcha Gotcha.

Very clever. But what happens if nobody takes your bait? Do you accept you were wrong and the world isn't against men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The Graham Norton show is second only to A Question of Sport on the forced jollity scale.

It's utterly formulaic, with Graham constantly cackling away at stuff that's mildly amusing at best.

I like Norton but the show has become very stale. Sometimes his prompting of stories is so obvious and insistent. I wish he went off the script more. Sometimes you can see guests internally groan when asked to recount a story some Beeb researcher prised out of them before the show. And his over-laughing at whatever humblebrag story a guest has just retold gets old.

Oh and the red chair needs to go. I especially hate when someone tells a blatant urban myth and Graham is in hysterics at it.

He just needs to rely less on getting the guests to tell stories that have obviously been vetted before the show. Let things be a bit more natural.

• Advertisement

So what's the solution? Some people got together and formed a movement to highlight sexual harassment and make it socially unacceptable - #metoo. I find it amusing how often the people who live to highlight instances of sexual harassment against men, such as the post above, are also opposed to the very movement which would actually highlight the unacceptable behaviour that some men face.

If there's an inequality, the solution is to highlight it and force it into public discussion. Force people to say what they think and have it scrutinised. The bad idea will become apparent quickly enough.

For example if someone thinks its dreadfully wrong to grab a woman but thinks its fine to grab Michael Buble, then they will really struggle to justify that opinion if asked to do so. So the solution is to ask them to do so.
    Two quotes by a great man, Homer Simpson (in response to "Why not start doing something about it instead of just sitting there complaining?")

"Can't someone else do it?"

"Duh... It's easier!"

Two quotes by a great man, Homer Simpson (in response to "Why not start doing something about it instead of just sitting there complaining?")

"Can't someone else do it?"

"Duh... It's easier!"

And and and. If you do nothing so things continue as they are, then you get to whinge about being a victim in perpetuity while also whinging about the #metoo movement because they actually got something done.

Actually you haven't a clue. But given how you speak about women (and agreeing with a sociopathic post by someone who's like a fictional character on The Handmaid's Tale) I suspect YOU haven't had that opportunity before.

(You got personal, hence me getting personal).

Don't be so upset by someone simply refuting you. It's a discussion board and it happens.

I agree , your entitled to be angry. Can we still be friends at least?

I'm very confused. Is this supposed to illicit a response along the lines of, "you cant say that about a woman presenter". To which you can reply " Gotcha. I also commented on the male presenter and you didn't get offended by that. Gotcha Gotcha Gotcha.

Very clever. But what happens if nobody takes your bait? Do you accept you were wrong and the world isn't against men?

You either chose to ignore or simply misinterpreted the Cork shaming. Which ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

wingnut wrote: »
    OP don't ever watch celebrity juice!

because it's utter garbage?

as funny as malignant cancer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Do you accept you were wrong and the world isn't against men?

So you're not a white heterosexual male then.

Heterosexual white men are definitely deemed fair game at times (and this is sh1t) but at the same time, they're hardly oppressed (nor are women in the West). It can get a bit whiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Yeah you are ya prude

EICVD wrote: »
    Yeah you are ya prude

Fascinating insight, thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement

You either chose to ignore or simply misinterpreted the Cork shaming. Which ?

I specifically mentioned it in the imagined response by you. I said "I also commented on the male presenter and you didn't get offended by that".

Then you did exactly what I predicted you would do.

Hoboo wrote: »
    So you're not a white heterosexual male then.

If I was a white heterosexual male, How would that change things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Fascinating insight, thanks for sharing.

Very welcome Moron, ‘tis a great name btw, you live up to it on the racing threads

EICVD wrote: »
    Very welcome Moron, ‘tis a great name btw, you live up to it on the racing threads

Sublime, I am glad you got to the bottom of your brain with that one, I appreciate you don't usually have to travel too far.

If I was a white heterosexual male, How would that change things?

So that's a no.

So that's a no.

I'm asking what difference does it make?

What preconception would it confirm for you?

• Advertisement

I'm asking what difference does it make?

What preconception would it confirm for you?

Definitely a no.

Definitely a no.

I can see you don't know what preconception you're trying to confirm.

Fwiw I'm a straight, white Irish man. Now what? Bet you can't even remember why you asked.

But if you remember why you asked, please let me know what your point was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Definitely a no.

Great, you're in on your own joke. Enjoy hi fiving yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 ThePeckerDunne

Wouldn't mind her rubbing one out to thepeckerdunne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wouldn't mind her rubbing one out to thepeckerdunne

On the ol’ banjo?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
Advertisement