Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen retailer looking advance payment

Options
  • 13-06-2019 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Well known kitchen retailer(won’t name) Looking for payment up front. A percentage I could understand but 100% I think is too risky & too big a ask.

Anyone have bad experiences here as my preference would be to pay once happy with work

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,311 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We recently got a new kitchen and paid in installments. It was 30% deposit, 60% a week before installation when the units were ready and the final 10% on completion. I'd say there aren't many places that would be happy with full payment only on completion as they could get stung for a tailor-made kitchen that the buyer has had second thoughts about.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I would think instalments are the norm? We just put in our kitchen order with a company.
    A small deposit, another amount at house survey for measurements and the final amount at installation.
    I would definitley not pay all upfront. There are plenty of other kitchen companies in the country, not worth the risk with that one imo.

Might have changed, but Tierney's Kitchens are fairly well known and a big name in the kitchen arena in Ireland I believe. If memory serves me correctly, they charge something like a 30% deposit, 40% on day of fitting, and the remaining 30% after a week of fitting (to allow for snag lists, etc. to be finished).

This seems very fair to me (assuming this is still the method they use). Gives them money to make the kitchen without incurring a loss, gives you peace of mind that they won't disappear halfway through.

I can only presume, as they're such a big company, that many others just copy their approach.

Personally, I had a kitchen (Boyles Kitchens) made up and delivered with a €1,150 deposit (kitchen value of €4,150). But this chap was personally recommended to me, and I'd seen his work, so I felt comfortable with it. Had he asked for 100% up front, even though I'd trust him, I still think I'd have started looking around.

It's a big request for a kitchen company to make, and it gives you no power in the transaction whatsoever if things start to go wrong. Personally, I would start looking elsewhere, but I'd let the kitchen crowd know why, so at least they're aware it's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

I recently got a kitchen fitted by cash and carry kitchens and they wanted payment up front so i paid.I paid a small deposit first and the week it was to be fitted i paid the balance. Had a small issue afterwards and i had no problem getting them back to rectify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ITgirl73

Thanks for replies. They want 100% up front which troubles me I would expect installments for a large company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Walk away.
    I would not trust a company that insists on full payment up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd be worried about their liquidity in that case. Some things not right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Withhold 10% for snags etc
    Pay by visa credit card
    Do not pay cash under any circumstances

Advertisement