Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sound Proof Flooring For Upstairs

• 13-06-2019 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Did a search on the forum but found no real definitive answer.

I have an upstairs storage room which will be used for future storage / games room.

I want to put down flooring that would provide a good sound proofing to the downstairs.

What I was thinking was the below products

MDF Sheeting on top on Timeber Joists
    An Acoustic Underlay
    Standard Flooring Under Lay
    Laminate Flooring

Would this be sufficient to provide a decent enough finish.

Also is MDF sheeting the best to be using.

Apologies but I am a compete novice when it come to the wood working side of things

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

At least: high density (acoustic) rockwool between the joists, acoustic joist strips over the joists, OSB, underlay, flooring.

You might have problems with flanking sound though (going round your subfloor treatment).

And/or read this....

TGD E - Sound
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/building-standards/tgd-part-e-sound/technical-guidance-document-e-sound-2014

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Lumen wrote: »
    At least: high density (acoustic) rockwool between the joists, acoustic joist strips over the joists, OSB, underlay, flooring.

You might have problems with flanking sound though (going round your subfloor treatment).

And/or read this....

TGD E - Sound
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/building-standards/tgd-part-e-sound/technical-guidance-document-e-sound-2014

Thanks Lumen would that be with standard / accoustic underlay only ?

Or could both be used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks Lumen would that be with standard / accoustic underlay only ?

Or could both be used
    I wouldn't double up on the underlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Put something between the joists and the floorboards first. Strips of heavy rubber or perhaps cork. This is where the noise is most likely to be effected first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Has anyone used, Easy Screed, on top of plywood as a retrofit for sound insulation. A neighbour of mine is talking about this, and I had a quick look at his floor today, nine inch joists are there with plywood on top, but from walking around I would think there is not much bridging in place, as there is a lot of creaking going on, I will pull up a sheet in the next few days to see exactly what it's like, he also mentioned putting sand in suspended trays between the joists to absorb noise.

Advertisement