Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for room rental.

Options
  • 13-06-2019 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Can anybody give tips for how to determine if applicants for renting a room are going to be suitable? The kind of questions you ask or are asked? Is there a form you get an applicant to complete and if so at what stage would that happen etc. My first attempt at renting a room in my home was not successful and caused a lot of drama in the home. I'm hoping to be more prepared next time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Rule number 1 is go with your gut.

After that get them to email you a bit about themselves before you even engage in viewings. Ignore the one liners, simple inability to follow basic instructions.

Look for someone with hobbies and interests outside of the home, someone who comes across as thoughtful and easy going.

Most of all though remember rule number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Email replies only. Much easier to filter people that way plus you have their name to check their social media. I had a couple of people with shared custody of a child contact me but never mentioned the kid in their emails. Facebook told me all though ;)

Try to get someone whose work pattern mimics yours so you don't end up with light and heat on 24/7. And most definitely go with your gut

Advertisement