Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private landlords leaving the market is the number one reason for homelessness

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

4ensic15 wrote: »
    In Dublin. Prices for the next academic year are below this years.
    No harm in that. They also have a very large language learning sector they can tap into outside of the academic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

In Dublin. Prices for the next academic year are below this years.

Some good news at last.

Did anyone else hear the ad for student accomodation on the radio for "only 250 euro a week".
    They must be struggling to shift it to have to run radio ads?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Some good news at last.

Did anyone else hear the ad for student accomodation on the radio for "only 250 euro a week".
    They must be struggling to shift it to have to run radio ads?

You can be damn sure they are struggling. What other landlord has to pay for advertising?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

is_that_so wrote: »
    Where is this happening?

I’m in D7 and two massive student apartment complexes opened last September to serve DIT. Owned by two different companies and one of the complexes isn’t even near half occupied.

How or what the plans are for these apartments during the summer months is beyond me. Seems like a huge loss making endeavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dav13579 wrote: »
    He is right. Noone rents bigger than they need.
    But in general people buy bigger than they need.

I have done as there is so little available. Penultimate rental was a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom. before that a 2 bedroom, before that a 2 bedroom etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Is it true that the rental period for the creation of a Part 4 Tenancy has been reduced to 2 months? Find it hard to believe but read it on another thread, but with no link to the relevant legislation was given. That, if true, will be the final straw for small landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Busterie

Do you not see that owner occupiers had to live somewhere before buying? What’s happened to that property now? Are you suggesting that it’s lying idle?
    They are mostly people who have been living with their parents or sharing an apartment or house. No additional space is freed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

TSQ wrote: »
    Is it true that the rental period for the creation of a Part 4 Tenancy has been reduced to 2 months? Find it hard to believe but read it on another thread, but with no link to the relevant legislation was given. That, if true, will be the final straw for small landlords.

What other thread?

You can be damn sure they are struggling. What other landlord has to pay for advertising?

If they can pay for radio ads they aren't struggling. More like they are too expensive as bespoke student abomination usually it's.

You often see properties to rent or for sale left empty for very long periods because they are unwilling to drop the prices. We also had this with commercial upward only rent reviews.

beauf wrote: »
    If they can pay for radio ads they aren't struggling. More like they are too expensive as bespoke student abomination usually it's.

You often see properties to rent or for sale left empty for very long periods because they are unwilling to drop the prices. We also had this with commercial upward only rent reviews.

*just to add to my post above as it’s relevant. The student apartment complexes gone up beside me are super swanky and weirdly or not, almost entirely inhabited by foreign students.
    Haven’t seen or encountered one Irish occupant to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I’m in D7 and two massive student apartment complexes opened last September to serve DIT. Owned by two different companies and one of the complexes isn’t even near half occupied.

How or what the plans are for these apartments during the summer months is beyond me. Seems like a huge loss making endeavour.

These are usually 4 bedroom apartments. So 4-5k a month when full. For the term. Then the summer they do short term lets normally to foreign students here to learn English.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

*just to add to my post above as it’s relevant. The student apartment complexes gone up beside me are super swanky and weirdly or not, almost entirely inhabited by foreign students.
    Haven’t seen or encountered one Irish occupant to date.

Now or just the college term. As now that is not surprising many places have courses for foreign students

Now or just the college term. As now that is not surprising many places have courses for foreign students

All year since it’s opened. Last September I believe. It’s on grangegorman lower both of them. It’s mostly Americans/north Americans and Middle Eastern students.
    It’s fancy AF so I get why it’s so expensive but there’s no Irish students in there at all, so it’s kind of a myth that these complexes will help relieve the rental market and open up supply.

€250. A week.

Who can afford that?

I think it's all year though. a lot of foreign students are far wealthier than Irish students. So are looking for something more up market.

...so it’s kind of a myth that these complexes will help relieve the rental market and open up supply.

I don't think many believed they would.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Scathing UN report on the Irish governments housing policy has been well buried .
    The journal.ie had a piece about it and apart from the heading the entire text was about how the Government are supposedly countering what was written in the report.
    Might as well have come from the fine Gael press office

A disgrace

I don't think many believed they would.

Clearly someone did. Planning and up to Nama/Leo.

Will you see these being sold back to the state at some point if they don’t work out and aren’t profitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

All year since it’s opened. Last September I believe. It’s on grangegorman lower both of them. It’s mostly Americans/north Americans and Middle Eastern students.
    It’s fancy AF so I get why it’s so expensive but there’s no Irish students in there at all, so it’s kind of a myth that these complexes will help relieve the rental market and open up supply.

€250. A week.

Who can afford that?

Some of the accommodation at the colleges my daughter was looking at was 12-14k a year.

Some of the accommodation at the colleges my daughter was looking at was 12-14k a year.

That’s obscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Is that for a 9 or 12 month period and tell use what college.

• Advertisement

What other thread?

I’ll try to find the post again and link it

TSQ wrote: »
    I’ll try to find the post again and link it

Here it is.. part 4 tenancy created after 2 months renting. Not sure if I believe it though as have not seen any other posts remarking on it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110446410

Clearly someone did. Planning and up to Nama/Leo.

Will you see these being sold back to the state at some point if they don’t work out and aren’t profitable?

We've had bespoke student accommodation for many decades in large universities and colleges and demand has always exceed supply. It's a Global market more than ever and there is no shortage and never has been of foreign students with the resources far in excess of the indigenous student population. Ireland is a dramatically different place than it was even 10yrs ago.

I can't see these failing over the long term. If the original owners spent to much they will just be replaced by sometimes else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

€250. A week.

Who can afford that?

While I agree a bit expensive do not forget that also includes gas, electricity, bins and broadband. Will it does in the student accommodation I limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

We were 'accidental' landlords and got out this year. Our tenants couldn't afford to buy in Dublin so bought outside instead. Thankfully this meant we didn't have to let them go. They were excellent tenants but with all the taxes, rules for landlords we wanted to get out. There is no incentive to stay. We never increased their rent in 5 years and actually made a loss each month after mortgage + tax is paid not that you would know it according to media.

Not all landlords are out to fleece people but that seems to be government approach. It's coming back to bite them now as landlords have had enough + are selling up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

They are struggling to fill them. A flat in Rathmines for students could be let with a postcard ad in a shop window in a few hours. Advertising on radio costs money.The operators of that accommodation are not in the business of spending money if they don't have to. More student blocks are under construction so if the existing units have to be advertised on radion the anecdotal reports of falling rents are correct and the charges will have to fall.

They are struggling to fill them. A flat in Rathmines for students could be let with a postcard ad in a shop window in a few hours. Advertising on radio costs money.The operators of that accommodation are not in the business of spending money if they don't have to. More student blocks are under construction so if the existing units have to be advertised on radion the anecdotal reports of falling rents are correct and the charges will have to fall.

I expect the one in Rathmines would be a lot cheaper?

I wonder is it a tactic to change their use? Make out they can't sell them.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/calls-for-stronger-guidelines-to-halt-student-accommodation-being-turned-into-coliving-spaces-38228334.html

Advertisement