Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

February 2020 babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Congratulations Yelloemac, hope you are all doing well!

Its eureka hydrotherapy I went to too in Rathfarnham, but she seems to do classes in a few different locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Hi folks. I'm reading these aqua natal posts with interest.

My wife is 36 weeks along so it's probably too late to start a block of classes.

She's mentioned that she'd really like to just get into a pool to get the weight off her feet. Do any of you know of a quiet place in south Dublin we could maybe go to this weekend? It doesn't need to be an organised class.

I was thinking of the Swan Centre in Rathmines, but even during public hours that will probably be set up for lane swimming...when all she wants to do is paddle around.

Evil_g wrote: »
    Hi folks. I'm reading these aqua natal posts with interest.

My wife is 36 weeks along so it's probably too late to start a block of classes.

She's mentioned that she'd really like to just get into a pool to get the weight off her feet.

I only did my first aquanatal class at 36 weeks, just doing pay as you go, €15 a class rather than booking a block! The pool is lovely and warm in butterfield too.

I have been to Swan just for a swim too, theres always open space as well as a few lanes so you can just splash about. Another good thing about swan is there isn’t set swim times, so you can go in for 20 mins or 3 hours, no restrictions :)
    https://www.swanleisure.ie/facilities/pool

There’s also Templeogue and Terenure college pools too, Tallaght Leisure Centre, etc which each have set swim times so you’d want to check in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

That's really helpful. Thanks!

I think she'd be pretty nervous rocking up at public hours somewhere if there was a risk that she'd be the only one there not swimming lengths :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Yellowmac

During pregnancy I went up to the pool at Clayton Hotel Liffey Valley for a swim on a Sunday morning and it was lovely and quiet, split into lanes and open pool. No problem or judgement just having a float around. So worth thinking of hotels and gyms near you as well most will let you pay in for a session. There is nothing better than the pool at that stage she will feel great! Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sosa1

Hi,

Hope everyone is getting on ok. I have a quick question regarding getting signed off work early when your in your last trimester.

I'm 33 weeks at the moment, due to go on Mat leave at 36 weeks but am finding a it tougher and tougher to get through the working day! I've had trouble sleeping the past two weeks- waking up loads in the night, so just not getting any rest at all. That, plus an hour commute each way means I'm exhausted by 10 am.

Has anyone been signed off early? At this stage, I'd only need a sick note for 2 weeks before my Mat leave kicks in. Just wondering if exhaustion is enough to get a doc to sign me off?!

Any opinions welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Sosa1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Hope everyone is getting on ok. I have a quick question regarding getting signed off work early when your in your last trimester.

I'm 33 weeks at the moment, due to go on Mat leave at 36 weeks but am finding a it tougher and tougher to get through the working day! I've had trouble sleeping the past two weeks- waking up loads in the night, so just not getting any rest at all. That, plus an hour commute each way means I'm exhausted by 10 am.

Has anyone been signed off early? At this stage, I'd only need a sick note for 2 weeks before my Mat leave kicks in. Just wondering if exhaustion is enough to get a doc to sign me off?!

Any opinions welcomed!

Exhaustion should be more than fine. In my experience, GP’s would prefer to see you getting as much rest as possible ahead of the big day. Just explain that you aren’t getting enough sleep and struggling with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

No personal experience of that Sosa but my friend was signed off early for exactly that reason! You need your energy for labour and recovery. Personally, I've been off since 33 weeks and it has done me the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Sosa1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Any opinions welcomed!

I was signed off two weeks early as I got a tummy bug and ended up in hospital to get fluids. My consultant said the fluid levels were low around baby and that I was likely to be induced early. My doctor didn't even need to see me - her secretary gave me the cert for the two weeks without issue so I imagine yours will be the same.

Just as well as I was due to start maternity leave on Jan 24th (the same day I was induced). Little Cadhla will be 8 days old on her due date :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes I have done it.Doctor will have no problems or your hospital once you explain you are struggling.Don't be a martyr to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Sosa1

Thanks everyone, I have a hosp appointment on Tuesday, so will say it to the midwife/consultant & hopefully get signed off then! I think I'll spend a full week in bed if I get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Excellent thinking! A week well spent :)

My gp had no issue signing me off when I explained why, lack of sleep, super stressful work, trying to manage GD, etc so I’d say ask about it.
    Focus on having you and baby in the healthiest way possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DAT64

Baby girl arrived Weds 5th after induction. All is good I’m living in the bubble right now and loving every second x

DAT64 wrote: »
    Baby girl arrived Weds 5th after induction. All is good I’m living in the bubble right now and loving every second x

Congratulations wonderful news! Delighted your baby is here safe and sound. Enjoy this amazing time xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

My lovely fella arrived on 4th. Trying to remember all the newborn stuff again and how to wrangle giant boobs . Hope all the arrivals safely here soon and enjoy the snuggles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Aww huge massive congrats DAT64 and tiredcity on the safe arrival of your little babies - hope you are lapping up every single second :p

And hang in there all the other February mams and dads to be, I know I am cracking up since i finished work last Friday and I'm still a week away from EDD. Meeting consultant again on Tuesday and I'm contemplating asking for a sweep to hopefully get things moving soon (will be 39+3). The raspberry leaf tea/ chilli on everything/ long walks/ hot baths/ birthing ball have not been working for me so far!

Also just following back, I went to a Cuidiu meetup in a local town yesterday for the first time - learned more from experienced mammies in those two hours about breastfeeding than I did in all the classes and books and online guidance that I've been immersing myself in over the last few months. If there is a group near you, I would highly recommend popping along (I thought it would be awkward but it wasn't AT ALL) and thanks again to the wise soul on this forum who recommended Cuidiu because I hadn't even heard of them beforehand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

I’m 37+1 today and the midwife said she can’t see me going a day over 39 if I make it that far!
    Had braxton hicks last night for the first time ever, I was terrified.
    Today I’ve had random little twinges, some quite sore, so it would seem my body is definitely preparing for the big day.

I’ve cancelled all my weekend plans as I’m just feeling a bit odd...going to get plenty of rest and hope labour holds off for another week or 2 as I’m not mentally ready to be honest!

Huge congratulations to all the new parents, I hope you’re all doing well xx

• Registered Users Posts: 43 clarnimhurchu

Congratulations DAT64 and Tiredcity! I hope your both doing well, and enjoying all the cuddles!

RebelScorned, that's great that you got on well at Cuidiú... They're a great support!

In 37+2 today and I finished up work yesterday. I've a lot of hip pain, which would be nice to be without, but I'm also not mentally prepared yet. I could do with another week at least! I get a load of Braxton-Hicks in a row sometimes, and it is pretty scary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Chelle_C wrote: »
    I’m 37+1 today and the midwife said she can’t see me going a day over 39 if I make it that far!
    Had braxton hicks last night for the first time ever, I was terrified.
    Today I’ve had random little twinges, some quite sore, so it would seem my body is definitely preparing for the big day.

I’ve cancelled all my weekend plans as I’m just feeling a bit odd...going to get plenty of rest and hope labour holds off for another week or 2 as I’m not mentally ready to be honest!

Huge congratulations to all the new parents, I hope you’re all doing well xx

Probably not what you want to heard but with my first at my 40+3 appointment the midwife did an internal and said I would definitely go in the next 48 hours (Christmas Eve and Christmas Day) because I was already dilated. I ended up being induced at 10 days over.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cole30

Huge congratulations on the new arrivals! I'm am 37 + 4 and today is my last day in work! I can't believe it! I've been feeling quite well luckily. Other than Braxton Hicks at night there's no signs of anything happening here. Waterproof sheet on the bed just incase!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Cole30 wrote: »
    Huge congratulations on the new arrivals! I'm am 37 + 4 and today is my last day in work! I can't believe it! I've been feeling quite well luckily. Other than Braxton Hicks at night there's no signs of anything happening here. Waterproof sheet on the bed just incase!

I had these from about 36 weeks on all my babies....contraction style pains for a few hours each night.All started labour naturally with delivery at 40, 42 and 41 weeks respectively!It's nuisance while it lasts but I always took it as a good sign!

Baby girl born 10/2, 15 days early by emergency c section! Adjusting to life as a mummy and bursting with love. Best of luck ladies 💕 I'm on cloud 9 💕

Baby girl born 10/2, 15 days early by emergency c section! Adjusting to life as a mummy and bursting with love. Best of luck ladies �� I'm on cloud 9 ��

Big congratulations, Cole30! I hope you recover well from the section. Sometimes these unplanned surprises happen, but enjoy all the cuddles and love!

I am now at 37+6, and have now slipped past the day that my waters broke unexpectedly with my daughter at 37+5, and I was induced and gave birth the next morning. I'm hoping to get a week of maternity leave to rest and prepare. I am pretty much ready though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Ahh congrats Cole! Babies always have their own timeline! Enjoy this special time :)

• Advertisement

Huge congrats Cole30 - enjoy all the newborn cuddles and hope you recover well from the section.

Was in hospital this morning for 39 week checkup and turns out I am being induced on Friday at 39+5 - doc was concerned that baby will be big for my height and size (was sent for a growth scan today and baby was measuring 8 1/2 lbs at 39+2) and on balance, she thought it would be best to induce now instead of leaving me another week and potentially inducing this time next week. She did an internal exam and said there is a strong chance I could go myself before Friday as cervix was very ripe considering this is my first baby. So unless something happens naturally in the meantime, looks like we will be having a Valentine's Day baby.

I'm a ball of anxiety since I found out - probably as it came as a big surprise as induction was not really mentioned before and size seemed normal all along during all checkups etc. - but it is what it is and I know the doctors know best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Congrats Cole30 on the new arrival :D

So I originally posted privately a few months back as "Dadtobe2019" but can post as myself now as everyone obviously knows that my wife and I are expecting our first child.

We were in for hospital appointment yesterday and my wife has been booked in to be induced on Thursday 13th Feb, today she is 39 weeks exactly. They said they did not want her going over 39 weeks as she has gestational diabetes and that the baby is a good size now, currently measuring 8lb :D

We have been told it can take anything from 24 to 48 hours but we are really looking forward to meeting our baby and we don't mind when the baby comes as long as both mum and baby are ok

I just want to say thanks to all as I have been following some of the advice on her and its great to see people helping each other out

best of luck to all the February moms :D

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

Where did you buy the waterproof sheet - would be very handy to have as I didn't even think of this!!

Congrats Cole! Hope you’re enjoying the new baby.

38+4 now and really struggling the past couple of days with exhaustion. Spent nearly the full days in bed which means I haven’t been doing the last few bits around the house which I wanted to get out of the way. Back in with my OB on Friday and really hoping that there will be some signs of something happening. Has anyone been offered a sweep yet? Would jump at anything at this point that would get the ball rolling.

@paulers06 I think it depends on hospital policy - when I asked last week, I was told they wouldn't do a sweep before 39 weeks for a first baby as would cause unnecessary discomfort for mother with very little prospect of actually setting anything in motion. This week at 39 weeks I was offered an internal exam/ sweep by same doctor. I was told by a midwife that you can ask for it at 38 weeks so no harm in asking.

Sweeps only work for 1 in 8 women I think I read somewhere so if you can at all, investigate other methods of kickstarting labour naturally - raspberry leaf tea, bouncing on a birthing ball, spicy food, as long a walk as you can manage, hot baths and some special time with your significant other are all said to help move things along but of course it's not an exact science!

• Advertisement

Congratulations to all the new Mammys and Daddys!
    At my last appointment at 37 weeks they said they will offer me a sweep at 39.
    I’m hoping to let things happen naturally though so will see how i feel in a week!

Where did you buy the waterproof sheet - would be very handy to have as I didn't even think of this!!

I got this single size waterproof matt to go under the sheet and it worked perfectly. It was €5 in lidl and worked perfectly not a single drop on the mattress. I'm just home today and what a blur but absolutely over the moon with the new addition! Fantastic experience with the Rotunda Hospital. Amazing staff

Catching up on posts while baby sleeps ...
    Congrats Cole30 on your early arrival, delighted your baby is here safe and sound! Sounds like you were similar to me only finishing work a day or two before it's such a shock! But extra mat leave with your beautiful baby. Enjoy every second of those snuggles. Glad to hear you had a positive experience in Rotunda I also thought they were just incredible we were so well looked after. Enjoy being home and make sure to take it easy while recovering.

RebelScorned that is very exciting about your planned induction tomorrow. Can totally understand you having some anxiety about change of plans but all will be fine just focus on holding your little Valentine in your arms and it will keep you calm and relaxed. Very best of luck with everything and look forward to hearing of your new arrival!

GreenMartian hope all went well for you guys today too!

Larrymickdick I picked up a waterproof mattress protector in Homestore and More for a few quid - wasn't necessary in the end as waters broke all over the living room but that's a story for another day lol :D

Paulers06 sorry to hear you feel fed up - hope you can get a sweep if that's what you want... I can confess from recent experience that the old wives tale of doing the deed to bring on labour isn't a myth it really works so don't rule out that option either lol ;)

So nice to hear of all the thread babies arriving :)

Thanks so much for all the lovely messages. Best of luck to RebelScorned & Green Martian with their inductions this weekend.

I also used some clarys sage on Sunday. I had mixed it with some sweet almond oil and used it in a bath on Sunday I don't know if that brought on what it did but no harm trying!

Go easy with Clary Sage to anyone thinking of using it!!!very tiny amounts, it can be very potent and cause very strong contractions early on.If I remember correctly, it can work too well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

In the labour ward after my waters broke yday. Hubby and I are struggling on baby girls names - we are down to Orla, Eadaoin or Doireann. We like Irish names. Which would you choose?

Hi all, delighted to tell you all that myself and Mrs Green_Martian now have a beautiful baby boy, weighing in at 9lb 1

Went in for induction on Thursday morning but baby was not interested in moving at all and in the end he arrived by C-section on Saturday night :D It was not an emergency C-section as both baby and mammy were ok and no signs of issues or distress but the induction had not worked as expected and as it had ben so long since induction drugs and water being broken they advised us to have the C-section. They said for some people on their first child the induction sometimes does not work and they don't know why, but after seeing baby weighing in at 9lb 1 at 39 weeks maybe a C-section was the best thing:)

I have to say I am so super proud of Mrs Green_martian and how she handled everything.

I would also like to say a massive thank you to all at the Rotunda hospital and the amazing work all the nurses and mid-wife's do, they simple do not get the pay they deserve for what thy have to do, the job they do is amazing.

Hoping to get mammy and baby home tomorrow :D

Best of luck to everyone waiting on their new arrival

Huge congrats Cole30 - enjoy all the newborn cuddles and hope you recover well from the section.

Was in hospital this morning for 39 week checkup and turns out I am being induced on Friday at 39+5 - doc was concerned that baby will be big for my height and size (was sent for a growth scan today and baby was measuring 8 1/2 lbs at 39+2) and on balance, she thought it would be best to induce now instead of leaving me another week and potentially inducing this time next week. She did an internal exam and said there is a strong chance I could go myself before Friday as cervix was very ripe considering this is my first baby. So unless something happens naturally in the meantime, looks like we will be having a Valentine's Day baby.

I'm a ball of anxiety since I found out - probably as it came as a big surprise as induction was not really mentioned before and size seemed normal all along during all checkups etc. - but it is what it is and I know the doctors know best.

Hope all went well RebelScorned

Congrats GM, that’s fantastic news and I’m so glad to hear that everything went well. Enjoy the baby cuddles!

paulers06 wrote: »
    Congrats GM, that’s fantastic news and I’m so glad to hear that everything went well. Enjoy the baby cuddles!

Thanks, loving every minute of cuddles with him:D

• Advertisement

Congratulations Green Martian, wonderful news! I hope your wife recovers well from her section.

Huge congratulations @ green Martian & family

Great news congratulations enjoy this amazing time as a little family of 3. Hope your wifes recovery is going well Agree Rotunda staff are heroes!

Congratulations Green Martian, hope its all going well and to all the other new arrivals too!

Anyone else still waiting on the new arrival to make an appearance ? My due date is the 22nd so I just need to be patient I think!

Rockiemalt wrote: »
    Congratulations Green Martian, hope its all going well and to all the other new arrivals too!

Anyone else still waiting on the new arrival to make an appearance ? My due date is the 22nd so I just need to be patient I think!

Still patiently waiting, also due the 22nd. Not minding so much anymore. I’ve been off work for a few weeks now and the rib/pelvis/leg pain is practically gone and sleeping a lot. How are you feeling. Back in with my OB on Friday and will have a sweep so should know more then. Have you heard anything about induction yet if you go over? Would prefer not to if I can.

And appetite is back with a vengeance! My husband caught me eating toast in the middle of the night. Give me all the carbs!

Rockiemalt wrote: »

I hit 39 weeks today! I'm very happy because my waters went with my daughter at 37+5, and now that I'm 39 I'm happy to take labour pains whenever they decide to hit.

I had a terrible misfortune with my tooth last weekend, unfortunately. I had one root canal treated tooth with a crown on top, which broke away while I was cleaning it with my water flosser. Now, the rest of the tooth needs to be extracted, but I have to wait until after the baby is born. Then, I'll have to think of expensive stuff like implants while I'm on maternity leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ca_va

Congratulations Green_martin!

Still waiting here as well, due date is 23rd but I've been telling myself early March to try to avoid getting impatient! Getting on and off cramps and tightening but nothing consistent. Overall feeling very well.

You poor thing clarnimhurchu! I had a very similar situation, a crown came off and had to be replaced. I'll have to look into something more permanent after the baby arrives - ugh!

Huge congrats Green Martian family on the arrival of Mini Martian, it sounds like you are all absolutely relishing every second and rightfully so!

Our little girl arrived on Valentine's Day and we are just absolutely smitten with her. She is the spitting image of her daddy, it is uncanny. I can't really believe how cute she is or how good she smells or how much we adore her already. Our hearts are just so full.

I was nervous about induction but can happily report back that it was quick (albeit intense) for an induction at just under 7 hours and I was chuffed to manage it naturally with no pain relief and not need any stitches afterwards. The midwives that delivered our baby were absolute heroes and both of them visited us in postnatal ward a few times over the following days - it really gave me the warmest feels to go through the day's events with them again, I will always always feel indebted to them for such a positive and empowering birth experience.

Best of luck to the rest of the February 2020 parents-to-be - hang in there, it won't be long now until you're holding your pride and joy in your arms!

• Advertisement

Huge congrats Rebel Scorned. And best of luck to the people waiting to meet their new additions.

Advertisement