Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Football League Thread 2020/2021 - Championship, League 1, League 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Derby guy through on goal, how will he feel if they lose?:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Rotherham down.
    Wednesday need a winner to stay up.

Rotherham game finished in a draw, they're down anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Imagine if Westwood grabbed the winner in the final seconds. A Jimmy Glass special.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rotherham really blew that in the final few weeks. They had a lot of games to play in a short time, but one win or even a couple of draws would've seen them do it.

Wednesday deserve to stay up though...

• Advertisement

Derby see it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Points deduction and false accounting have helped to send the Owls down.

They have a type of Bolton or Portsmouth aura about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad to see what has happened to Sheffield Wednesday since the days they were a PL side in the 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Derby celebrating at the end, they should of walked off in shame (not all of them, Shinnie and Clark) and that includes all the management.

Absolutely crap most of the season.
    Rooney cant stay, you need experience in the Championship..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Relatively drama free so far in League 2. Cambridge and Bolton going up comfortably, and no changes in the playoff spots. Great season for Wes!

• Advertisement

Eoin Doyle ever considered for an international call-up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Gutted today. Wednesday are in a bad place and have been all season.
    Lord knows how we made it mathematically to the last game and to be in 4th place for about 10 seconds when Cardiff equalised and to not get the winner against as bad a defense as ours is hard to take.

Derby have a reprieve but 6 Losses and a draw and a certain ex advisor of ours taking over(lol) theyve still got a lot of issues.

League one again it is then, we shouldve been there months ago tbh. My worst season i can ever remember

I wasn't fully paying attention to the game but from what I saw Pompey looked poor. Deserved to drop out of the playoff spots. The Cowleys and Paul Cook were some of the most in-demand out of work coaches at the start of the season, but their respective failures to make the playoffs will have done a bit of damage to their reputations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The mighty Northampton Town finished their short time in League One with a draw against play-off bound Sunderland. Nothing much in it, got interesting in last 10 minutes where we failed to hold a lead for more than 3 minutes.

Jon Brady confirmed as permanent manager this week, Australia's finest given 2 year deal. Only 8 players on books for next season, and he hopefully wants shot of at least half of them, so lots of recruitment to be done, including a new head of recruitment. (Old one got sacked along with chief scout, and if you see the dross they recommended/signed you'd know why).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Baseball72

Gutted today. Wednesday are in a bad place and have been all season.
    Lord knows how we made it mathematically to the last game and to be in 4th place for about 10 seconds when Cardiff equalised and to not get the winner against as bad a defense as ours is hard to take.

Derby have a reprieve but 6 Losses and a draw and a certain ex advisor of ours taking over(lol) theyve still got a lot of issues.

League one again it is then, we shouldve been there months ago tbh. My worst season i can ever remember

As a Derby County fan I sympathize with your plight. Both our clubs have been badly run for a good few years now. Our last league win was in February! Unless we get a (good) new owner - which rules out Erik Alonso(!) - and an experienced manager (who would want to be a manager at Derby though?) - we will struggle next season just as badly as this season.

Hopefully, Darren Moore will be given the time by Wednesday to rebuild during the summer and go again next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Baseball72 wrote: »
    As a Derby County fan I sympathize with your plight. Both our clubs have been badly run for a good few years now. Our last league win was in February! Unless we get a (good) new owner - which rules out Erik Alonso(!) - and an experienced manager (who would want to be a manager at Derby though?) - we will struggle next season just as badly as this season.

Hopefully, Darren Moore will be given the time by Wednesday to rebuild during the summer and go again next season.

I think you are about 12 months behind what we've gone through. Not much seems to work and if you get a minus start next year it will make it harder to interest players/managers to come in.

Met some of the Derby lads on Ryanair day trips over via East Midlands when travelling was a thing, was decent banter.

For us, they say it cant get much worse but it can. Until Chansiri stops with the Delboy tactics it could take a while to get out of this mess.

Playoffs starting tonight.

The winner of Brentford and Bournemouth, will probably be the favourite to go up. Brentford probably the favourite of the two, but will they be able to break the playoff curse.

Swansea go into the game against Barnsley in poor form, but there is just something telling me that they will win that game and the final as well.

Brentford and Barnsley final would be my preference. Bournemouth going back up would be horrible for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Brentford please
    My work colleague had a big part to play in the club and developing some great players there and had we stayed in London when I was a kid then Brentford would have been my local club.
    But our boss has a house in Bournemouth and his family are there at the moment due to Covid so we actually have a bit of a Derby

Imagine, a Brentford Bournemouth game being a Derby for people living in Abu Dhabi. Hah!

I think you are about 12 months behind what we've gone through. Not much seems to work and if you get a minus start next year it will make it harder to interest players/managers to come in.

Met some of the Derby lads on Ryanair day trips over via East Midlands when travelling was a thing, was decent banter.

For us, they say it cant get much worse but it can. Until Chansiri stops with the Delboy tactics it could take a while to get out of this mess.

in terms of on-the-pitch, they did more than enough to stay up, they were relegated by the points deduction so there is a good team in there/manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

This is classic Brentford. Start the season slow and then hit form. Destroy everyone in their path and get into the automatic play-off spots. Then they realise they could get promoted and panic, throw it away. Once they can't get automatic promotion play well again.

Then it's off to the play-offs where they are the better team but can't finish. They seem to fold under pressure. If they could get over this they'd be a serious team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Barnsley are so agricultural its not funny. You wouldn't want to be trying get two touches on the ball!

jacool wrote: »
    Barnsley are so agricultural its not funny. You wouldn't want to be trying get two touches on the ball!

If they go up...

https://twitter.com/bfcstats/status/1369241949962657798

jacool wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wrexham going get a nice boost of money and worldwide publicity

Ryan Reynolds & Rob McElhenney’s Soccer Club Wrexham To Be Subject Of FX Documentary Series
    FX has placed a two-season order for Welcome to Wrexham, a documentary series on the tiny Welsh soccer club that was recently acquired by Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney.

Produced by Chef’s Table outfit Broadwalk Pictures, the series will track the dreams and people of Wrexham, a working-class town in North Wales, as the actors take ownership of the town’s historic yet struggling club.

It will follow Reynolds and McElhenney’s crash course in football club ownership and the inextricably connected fates of a team and a town counting on two stars to bring some serious hope and change to the community.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/rob-mcelhenney-ryan-reynolds-wrexham-fx-series-1234759064/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

A disgrace of a goal concede by brentford in the early stages. Left 3/4s of the pitch unoccupied from an attacking corner.

A run of the mill clearance and Danjuma had the entire half to run into. With a player like Danjuma it only ended one way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The state of Asmir Begovic. Twat

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The state of Asmir Begovic. Twat

And Toney gets booked too

Won't finish with 22 on the pitch.

Id feel a bit frustrated by the penalty award if it was conceded by my team. Even according to the rules I think it’s too close from ball strike to the hand to be deemed a handball.

• Advertisement

There we go

My god

Don't think it'll finish with 21 on the pitch either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Second shout was more a penalty than the first one.

Toney misses another. This is great entertainment. What was Mepham doing

Ref needs to say next player who runs screaming into his face gets booked. Both teams acting like school children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

He ought to warn the Brentford manager as well for acting the clown

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

This game is all action anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

kowloonkev wrote: »
    He ought to warn the Brentford manager as well for acting the clown

All Brentford now, difficult to see any other outcome other than a comfortable win here.

Their manager seems to enjoy the attention of the camera being on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Begovic is so annoying, and not in a "it'd be grand if he was on my team" way.

Imagine having Begovic as your captain. Embarrassing.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Toney's finishing harking back to his Northampton Town days.

• Advertisement

Canos has put in a few lovely balls to the back post.

I'd feel sorry for Bournemouth if it wasn't for Begovic who's been pathetic.

I'd feel sorry for Bournemouth if it wasn't for Begovic who's been pathetic.

I think he thinks he is being 'the wiley old pro' but in fact his buffoonery has negatively affected his teammates.

Sunderland good first half, totally outplayed by Lincoln in the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I hope Brentford make it up this season.

Vaughans foot comes in in front of the keepers face, probably made a bit of contact, keeper rolls around holding back of his head and is fine once Vaughan gets booked. Usual nonsense.

Forest Green have drawn level in the tie, scored 2 in first seven minutes. 2 all now v Newport in League 2 playoff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Forest Green went 1 up only for Newport to score 2 in 5 minutes. Some mad playoff semi finals this season.

Forest Green went 1 up only for Newport to score 2 in 5 minutes. Some mad playoff semi finals this season.

And Forest Green draw level in 89th minute.

Great fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement