Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Football League Thread 2020/2021 - Championship, League 1, League 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Snuck out at 11.30 on Wednesday night. Derby and Wycombe both getting interim fixtures for next season pending the outcome of Derby submitting revised accounts.
    https://twitter.com/EFL_Comms/status/1407828566797135878?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

adaminho wrote: »
    Snuck out at 11.30 on Wednesday night. Derby and Wycombe both getting interim fixtures for next season pending the outcome of Derby submitting revised accounts.
    https://twitter.com/EFL_Comms/status/1407828566797135878?s=19

EFL not appealing so Derby staying in the Championship. They still have to file updated accounts so likely will face punishment and a potential points deduction this season. Still waiting on new owners so looks like a tough season ahead.

Starting to see some more transfer business in the Championship now with all the managerial changes finally settled. The 3 relegated teams will be heavy favourites for promotion along with Bournemouth and Swansea. Cardiff, Stoke and Middlesbrough will look to push on this season as well.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    EFL not appealing so Derby staying in the Championship. They still have to file updated accounts so likely will face punishment and a potential points deduction this season.

Absolute joke of a punishment. A fine of 100k for completely taking the piss with their finances, while Leeds were fined 200k for watching a Derby training session. Any points deduction should have applied to the season just played where they benefitted from their financial shenanigans. If I were Wycombe's owners I'd be sharpening the lawyers right now and not taking this lying down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Looking forward to seeing how Barnsley do next season.I hope they get promoted, very interesting project.

EFL being nice to Derby, allowing them to sign 5 players while under embargo. It does seem the right choice, as counting academy players from the COVID FA Cup game as senior players is not the fairest. Looks like one of the five will be Ravel Morrison. That will definitely be interesting. He impressed me at Birmingham a few years ago, but he just hasn't been able to put together any consistency since. Will be a big test of Rooney's managerial credentials trying to keep them up.

The lure of Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenny. Paul Mullin, League 2 player of the season and top goalscorer, drops two divisions to join Wrexham on a 3 year contract. Must be on serious money as there was a fair few League 1 and 2 teams looking at him.

Season starting next week, figured I would give my 1-24 predictions for the Championship. Still a lot of transfer activity to go so a lot will change by the end of August but fairly confident at this stage with my top 4 and bottom 3. Really hard to predict the rest of the finishers, probably putting too much faith in the experience of Warnock, McCarthy and Hughton. Went negative with my prediction for Birmingham has I am unsure what team, formation or style of play will be used for the season ahead.

1. West Brom 2. Sheffield United

3. Bournemouth 4. Fulham 5. Middlesbrough (playoff winner) 6. Cardiff

7. Nottingham Forest 8. Millwall 9. Swansea 10. Luton 11. QPR 12. Barnsley 13. Stoke 14. Bristol City 15. Reading 16. Blackburn 17. Huddersfield 18. Birmingham 19. Preston 20. Coventry 21. Hull

22. Derby 23. Peterborough 24. Blackpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I fancy QPR to make the play offs at least. Looking like a good prospect

Made decent transfers and had good results in Pre Season friendlies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭markest

Up the Cobblers. A goal in injury time. For us this time. Normally we give them away in the last minute/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have to say they have done a great job using their fame marketing the club

• Advertisement

Forest sack Hughton, somewhat surprised they didn't do it over the international break but he had lost the players and the fans trust. I was definitely wrong to put so much faith in him to turn Forest into a playoff chasing team.

It has been a good Championship season so far, even if the pre-season favourites West Brom, Fulham and Bournemouth look a class apart. There has been a few unexpected performances so far, Coventry and Huddersfield both look like they could mount a playoff push but obviously still early days.

Derby likely to accept a 9 point deduction, they have a decent enough first XI that they can stay up even with the deduction as there is enough poor teams down there with them.

Well my positivity yesterday for Derby 's chances of staying up looks foolish now, they have gone into administration and will be docked 12 points. Still likely to be docked a further 9 as well so will need a miracle to stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

And if they miss further transfer payments that 9 points could go higher again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I was a bit stunned reading this. I don't disagree that a player should be banned for making abusive comments today (I don't know what he actually said), but to drag this up after 8 or 9 years is a bit much. Have rules changed since this offence took place? I'm just wondering how long the FA can hold the guillotine over someone's neck before dropping it.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Reports today that Mike Ashley is looking to buy Debry County now.

The man does like to buy up depressed assets on the high-street so I imagine getting Debry on the cheap would interest him.

Chris Wilder doing a great job since taking over at Middlesbrough

Big Andy with two cracking goals sadly for him and Reading both were ruled out as his Reading team lost 0-7 to Fulham

Two 7-0 wins for Fulham in a season, really can't wait until Birmingham play them next week. I expected Fulham and Bournemouth to pull away at the top in November and December but a combination of poor form and Covid postponements has reeled them back in. However, I think they are still the two most likely to go up automatically. I expect West Brom, Middlesbrough and Sheffield United to be in the playoffs. Probably then between Blackburn, QPR and Forest for the other spot. I think it will be Forest but would be great to see Blackburn do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Guy called Brannagan apparently scored FOUR penalties for Oxford v Gillingham today. Stephen Kenny probably ringing him up asking about his ancestry before the day is out.

• Advertisement

Steve Bruce named new WBA manager on an 18 month contract.

He really doesn't mind managing rivial teams.

Newcastle - Sunderland

Birmingham - Villa - WBA

Sheffield United - Sheffield Wednesday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Looking like a poor team is coming up from the playoffs this year in the Championship. Generally a very poor standard, but Huddersfield, Luton and Blackburn shouldn't be anywhere near the Premier League. Hard to say anyone good enough to replace them though, West Brom are 12th, QPR are very hit and miss and maybe Forest? Sheffield United are ok, Millwall, Boro...not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Fulham will be promoted to The Premier League if they beat Derby tonight. Currently 1-0 up near HT

And will all but relegate Derby to League 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

derby turn it around to win. Some heart from a hopeless position.

Derby first team to be relegated. They did well to battle on for this long, definitely helped by how poor some of the teams are down near the relegation places. Hopefully their ownership issues get sorted soon and they can have a stable summer and next season in League 1. Be interesting to see if Rooney sticks with them, I think he needs a year of stability to see how good of a manager he really is.

Barnsley and Peterborough likely to join Derby in League 1 barring a miracle, Paul Ince has done a good job of steering Reading to safety. All I can say as Birmingham fan is how lucky we are that Derby and Reading both got points deductions. Otherwise we would be heading down as well.

Fulham and Bournemouth nearly up. Huddersfield very likely to have one of the playoff spots but still a battle for the final 3 depending on Forest's games in hand. Some teams really stumbling over the line. Shows how bad it is that Blackburn and QPR both still have a chance despite their shocking form over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

This is probably the best goal I have ever seen. Move over Van Basten.

https://twitter.com/nffc/status/1516143123776290818?s=21&t=g6TpHaGySNfEu9UbNXxpaA

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Only four home wins today.. Luton and Huddersfield are pretty much assured of a playoff with their wins and realistically it looks like 6th is the only spot up for grabs with Forest flying. Sheff Utd missed a huge opportunity with Middlesbrough, Blackburn and Coventry all losing at home.

I was at Coventry v Bournemouth. Bournemouth very very fortunate to be 0-2 up at halftime but their physicality was too much second half. Can't see them staying up though, they've very little invention in midfield. They must have a "you must be this tall to play here" sign at the entrance - Billings is a huge man up close. Second biggest in person to Akinfenwa.

Forest only 3 points behind Bournemouth with them still having to play each other, should be an interesting end to the season. Would be some turn around at Forest if they got automatic promotion.

Final day of League 1 on Saturday should be exciting. Wigan are practically promoted but will be a fight between Rotherham and MK Dons for the other automatic spot. Then only 3 teams from Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, Plymouth and Wycombe for the playoffs. Could come down to goal difference.

League 2 promotion race also exciting with 8 teams in contention for automatic and/or playoff spots with 2 games to go. Very hard to call there as teams aren't winning the games you expect.

43 goals for Mitrovic, breaking the second tier record. What a season for him, but he should never be playing at this level again. Be interesting to see how he does next season in the PL when he is trusted to be the main striker.

Luton's 7-0 loss manages to bring Millwall back into the playoff race if results go their way. Adds an extra bit if excitement for the last two playoff spots.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Joey Barton could still potentially bring Bristol Rovers back up to League One. They were in 17th in League Two at one point in December but have only lost three league games since and sit 4th going into the last game. Scored twice in the last few minutes to beat Rochdale 4-3 on Saturday. They're at home to relegated Scunthorpe while they need a favour from Barrow against Northampton. Glenn Whelan likely to start Rovers' last game as their captain was sent off at the weekend.

Huge game between Bournemouth and Forest tonight for the automatic promotion place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Bournemouth promoted, Forest offered nothing 2nd half

Absolutely mad finish In League Two!!! Northampton and Bristol Rovers were level on points but Northampton were 5 goals better off than Rovers on goal difference so occupied the final automatic promotion spot at the start of the day. Northampton beat Barrow 3-1 but Rovers equalled their biggest ever league win by beating Scunthorpe 7-0 to snatch automatic promotion on goals scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Scunthorpe had a team made up almost entirely of teenagers the cúnts, including a 17 year old keeper making only his 2nd start. No problem staying down fair and square but Northampton well and truly fûcked over by Scunthorpe. May they rot in non League for ever the wànkers.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

To be fair, Scunthorpe have supposedly been doing that for weeks since they were officially relegated. Those players will likely form the guts of their team next season so they were giving them first team experience.

Though I know I'd be reacting the exact same if my team had gone through what Northampton fans went through yesterday.

I can just imagine the furore if this had happened higher up the leagues, but it happened in League 2 to a small team, and the press got a fairytale finish for a vaguely famous manager for a bigger team so they won't delve any further in to it.

As I say, no problems losing out fair and square, and Bristol Rovers could only play what was put in front of them but this one really sticks in the craw.

Plus guaranteed that Mansfield beat the Cobblers in the playoffs, it's just what they do!

Ah well, we'd have been pumped every week in League One anyway, so maybe it's a blessing in a very very heavy disguise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭markest

Could turn out to be the incentive needed to get promotion via the playoffs for the Cobblers players :)

Doesn't look good for Scunthorpe. Despite my bitter dislike for them (including getting ejected from their ground in the mid nineties!) it's a shame to see any club struggle, Cobblers have gone close to disappearing more than once themselves. Chris Wilder helped save them the last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Good to see Sunderland win tonight, against another old heavyweight, Sheffield Wednesday - neither belong in 3rd tier , be good to see Sunderland back, my Dad supports them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Notts Forest

Sunderland

Swindon

My 3 for promotion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

As much as I'd like Forest to go up, their away kit is one of the worst jerseys I've seen in my life

• Advertisement

Mansfield v Cobblers tonight. Rarely get anything from Mansfield unfortunately.

Sheffield United have surprisingly (to me) turned the tie around, looking like extra time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Yep.....Forest lucky to get to extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Tense stuff..Down to penalties now....

Norwood misses SU's first pen, looks like goalie psyched him out...

Now Hourihane misses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

shocking start for SU

Some trun around for Forest since Cooper took over from Houghton.

Forest through...just about...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

shocker from joe lolly, blasts it over the bar

Advertisement