Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Football League Thread 2020/2021 - Championship, League 1, League 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Actually hadn't realised how well Leeds finished the season, I suppose all the focus was on Brentford's run. Great runs by Cardiff and Swansea to get the playoffs, and Luton and Barnsley to stay up. Wigan really couldn't have done much more to stay up.

Yeah leeds won 6 in a row themselves, absolutely romped home really. Was groaning after Forshaw had said before restart that Leeds would be comfortable, thinking would only end 1 way. 10 points ahead of second was not on the mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Been seeing a few people saying that could not believe Barnsley stayed up...they are a very good side...

The record against the top side was incredible and with such a young team...they really should have beaten us (Leeds) a few games back...

Leeds 0pts
    WBA 2pts(unbeaten)
    Brentford 3pts
    Fulham 6pts
    Cardiff 0pts
    Swansea 2pts(unbeaten)

That's a good return against the top sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Swansea miss a penalty, saved by Raya for Brentford.

Not long after Henry is shown a straight red. Debatable if it was even a foul for me, clearly got the ball albeit with a sliding tackle from distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Swansea miss a peno and a couple of mins later Henry gets sent off. Was no need for him to slide in where he did but he got the ball.

The joys of no VAR, it was 50/50 if it was a free , nevermind a red card.

It'll be overturned on appeal ( I assume they can?) but what use is that if they end up losing the first leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I guess no away goals rule means 0-0 would be a good result here for Brentford, even leaving aside the red card

Dive from Brewster. Wonder would he have gotten it if there hadnt been the red card?

"if it was given in pl , VAR wouldnt overturn it" tells you the state of the game now. Not the VAR bit but the part where dives are now accepted as penalties because the keeper slid over.

Swansea 1-0. Ayew.

I guess no away goals rule means 0-0 would be a good result here for Brentford

Hmm, if...

Just in case any of you hadn't heard this crazy stat, none of the bottom five teams with six games to ended going down this year:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I think Fulham will win the playoffs the experience of two years ago will count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brentford two up after 15 minutes they really look up or this 2-1 up now away goals don’t count in the playoffs.

• Advertisement

Brentford two up after 15 minutes they really look up or this 2-1 up now away goals don’t count in the playoffs.

Terrible defending for both goals.

Efforts at both ends here

Steve Cooper should up for the fight after his experience in 300

Ephialtes%2B300%2Bmovie.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Huge gaps in the Swansea defence for both goals. Both teams going for it, a good game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hoping for Brentford to go up but still have a half of football to go.

Think Cardiff will make a comeback tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Brentford superb side to watch. Hope they go up

brentford know how to start a 2nd half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Straight out of the blocks again this half and another goal.
    Should be tie over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Swansea have no business being in the playoffs really. They've been mediocre all season. In it thanks to a few goals scored at the right moment and Forest doing a Forest.

ongarite wrote: »
    Straight out of the blocks again this half and another goal.
    Should be tie over.

Not if Pontus Jansson has anything to do with it:P

• Advertisement

Thats a horrific effort at a clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Thats a horrific effort at a clearance.

And of course blames everyone else. 12 minuted to backs to the wall

One more Swansea goal gets them to extra time yeah?

One more Swansea goal gets them to extra time yeah?

Nope away goals Swansea win no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nope away goals Swansea win no?

Away goals don't count in the play offs.

Away goals don't count in the play offs.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Great way to see off the old ground.

Hope they win the final now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

First time seeing Brentford. They are excellent. They'll win the final handy enough I reckon.

https://twitter.com/TJC__84/status/1288568985890574337

£77.5m over 2 seasons is a nice advantage for Swansea to have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

In fairness, the biggest thing tipping Swansea into the playoff was the Forest collapse.

You'd wonder how Brentford messed up automatic promotion when it was there for them - could be under the same pressure in the final. 1-0 against ten men at home was unlikely to be enough for Swansea. Would prefer Fulham though.

if Cardiff get another goal will they go through on away goals ?

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    if Cardiff get another goal will they go through on away goals ?

No away goals. One more to take it to extra time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Is Arter injured?

Mushy wrote: »
    No away goals. One more to take it to extra time

Sitting in a pub watching on my phone please god it happens

Think Brentford will struggle against any of these 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Cardiff have Fulham on the ropes here but just can't score the goal to level the tie.

Brentford v Fulham it is, bit of a local derby so should be fun. Hopefully brentford do it

Cardiff ****ed that away and with that luck Fulham will beat Brentford

So cup final Saturday and playoff final Sunday ?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Cardiff ****ed that away and with that luck Fulham will beat Brentford

So cup final Saturday and playoff final Sunday ?

Playoff is Tuesday evening. Brentford more than good enough to beat Fulham

Mushy wrote: »
    Playoff is Tuesday evening. Brentford more than good enough to beat Fulham

****e thought it was sunday ah sure something to watch on a tuesday i suppose (well I can stream Sligo vs Waterford but ya knw ha)

The EFL ****show rolls on. Sheffield Wednesday charged with falsely declaring sale date of stadium have been deducted 12 points, but from next season. Bit of a joke to charge in one season, punish in next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I suppose it would be retrospective punishment (which is usually considered a bad thing) given the season proper is over.

• Advertisement

I suppose it would be retrospective punishment (which is usually considered a bad thing) given the season proper is over.

Yeah but other clubs are affected by a decision that shouldn't take 9 months to resolve. Itd put Wednesday down to bottom, and so charlton be saved (the club that seemingly the efl havent approved the owners), is a bit of a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I don’t agree with points deductions but appreciate there probably needs to be some form of punishment. Final standings should be based on what happens on the pitch. But if they have to do the points deduction It Should be imposed before the start of the next season Not during as in Wigan’s case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Utter mess. Charlton considering legal action.

pavb2 wrote: »
    I don’t agree with points deductions but appreciate there probably needs to be some form of punishment. Final standings should be based on what happens on the pitch...

But surely if the only way of keeping a team on the pitch is by pulling financial strokes off it and cooking the books, then they should be turfed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Can somebody explain to me why they deem Wigan’s punishment worthy of relegation this year and Wednesdays keeps them up and they start with a deduction? What’s the difference, how is it fair on Wigan?

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Can somebody explain to me why they deem Wigan’s punishment worthy of relegation this year and Wednesdays keeps them up and they start with a deduction? What’s the difference, how is it fair on Wigan?

If Wigan had ended up in relegation places on merit, the deduction would be next season. But essentially yeah, that's the crux of the matter. Unless its because the season is over, but then theres the issue of why it took about 9 months to get to this stage from being charged.

So in short, it's the efl, nobody really knows!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Charlton are absolutely right to be considering legal action. The EFL would want to come out and set the rationale for applying the penalty next year very soon. I could understand if this was a month later and the season was about to begin but there is still plenty of time for teams to prepare for a new division etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Charlton are absolutely right to be considering legal action. The EFL would want to come out and set the rationale for applying the penalty next year very soon. I could understand if this was a month later and the season was about to begin but there is still plenty of time for teams to prepare for a new division etc.
    It is a complete mess and the EFL are at the heart of it. Derby still haven't found out their fate and they allowed Villa and Wolves to sneak off to the EPL without punishing them. I can understand Charlton feeling aggrieved but they might do well to remember it was their own performances over the season that sank them rather than looking for a legal out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

is_that_so wrote: »
    It is a complete mess and the EFL are at the heart of it. Derby still haven't found out their fate and they allowed Villa and Wolves to sneak off to the EPL without punishing them. I can understand Charlton feeling aggrieved but they might do well to remember it was their own performances over the season that sank them rather than looking for a legal out.
    From what I understand the reason Wednesday's punishment being next season is because of the Derby decision being delayed. It would be "unfair " to have one team punished in one one season and another the following season for stuff that happened the same time! As for Wigan, it's written in the contract that administration is an automatic 12 pt deduction applied at the end of the season depending on where you finish. If they waited till the end of the season to go into administration they wouldn't have been deducted till next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

adaminho wrote: »
    From what I understand the reason Wednesday's punishment being next season is because of the Derby decision being delayed. It would be "unfair " to have one team punished in one one season and another the following season for stuff that happened the same time! As for Wigan, it's written in the contract that administration is an automatic 12 pt deduction applied at the end of the season depending on where you finish. If they waited till the end of the season to go into administration they wouldn't have been deducted till next season.
    The Wigan arrangement was 12 point now if they were above the relegation zone or 12 points next season if they were automatically relegated.

Advertisement