Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show 'penalty points' given for a user / given by mod at glance so others can see

Options
  • 13-06-2019 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭

I suggest a future feature on boards.ie to show at a glance how many infractions/bans a poster has picked up on boards.ie within a certain time frame - or from all time which ever is fairer or easier to do
    So other posters will know what type of individual they are dealing with.
    It could be done with penalty points system.
    Some posters just cause constant hassle and it is not even because they are caught up in a debate, they are just being awkward and/or wish to disrupt threads.

It will make the mods life easier as these individuals will be 'one to watch' and have a profile.
    Secondly other users will know that they are getting themselves into if they debate with posters - who have a high level of penalty points against them. Therefore a higher propensity to get them.
    In other words the records are there for all to see. All transparent and above board

Different points for yellow and red cards - banning's from threads etc.

You could even take it a step further and show which mods give the most penalty points - therefore the user will know how strict the mod is in comparison to others.

I think it would be a good exercise if a transparent tally was kept on a points system, and everyone would know where they stand.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I disagree.

I believe mods already have information on how many bans/infractions a user has so they know exactly what type of poster they’re dealing with.

I don’t believe regular users should have access to this information because 1. It would be used as a stick to beat a user with, and 2. Some posters may misbehave/be over-passionate in certain fora a rack up bans etc., and in other fora be well behaved.

You also might have some posters who acted the eejit for a period of time and have now copped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I disagree.

I believe mods already have information on how many bans/infractions a user has so they know exactly what type of poster they’re dealing with.

I don’t believe regular users should have access to this information because 1. It would be used as a stick to beat a user with, and 2. Some posters may misbehave/be over-passionate in certain fora a rack up bans etc., and in other fora be well behaved.

You also might have some posters who acted the eejit for a period of time and have now copped on.

All that stuff happens anyway regardless.
    Posters say you are the person who was saying xyz in that thread.
    It will also give other posters an idea if certain posters are 'fired up' from other threads.
    Ebay works well with a self regulating system of ratings of users.
    Granted the mods already know the infractions etc of users by other users don't
    Also the users have no clue about the different mods, they all have different standards (excluding main rules).
    Referees are kept track of in soccer for example with the number of red/yellow cards they have given during the season some refs are more lenient in application of the rules, while some are far more strict.
    It makes everything transparent.

Plus if users have acted the eejit for a limited time similar to the penalty points on a driving licence, they could be removed after a that - as it would make it fairer in that cases.
    I would have no problem with a penalty points system that everyone can see.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi gormdubhgorm,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm afraid I don't think it would be workable as it would require a good amount of development as well as design work.

Regular users don't necessarily need to know the type of poster that they're dealing with - that will quickly become apparent in the case of those looking to cause disruption. We have the Report button which allows users to highlight these posts without having to engage. Alternatively, it is up to someone to either read past the posts of users that they've found to be problematic or put them on an Ignore list.

Mods meanwhile do have access to additional information in terms of previous Mod actions taken. Where someone is particularly disruptive, they will already be on a Mod's radar.

On the issue of a "strictness" of a Mod, the person applying the action is not necessarily more strict/lenient than another Mod. In many cases, Mods will discuss action that needs to be taken and one will apply the sanction. Sometimes it's a matter of who is online to deal with Reported Posts or a timing issue. Then we have edge cases where a user is intent on causing issues and possibly reregisters to do so; dealing with this can take multiple Mod actions and sometimes across multiple user accounts, which would inflate numbers significantly.

Advertisement