Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Sleep

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I really enjoyed it this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I enjoyed it, especially the little Dark Tower references

I think the only scene reused from the shining was the blood elevator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I have been a fan of SK since I was 12, read the book honestly wasn't impressed. There was no scary edge of the pillow type stuff in it actually seemed homily and predictable. I don't imagine the movie can surpass the mediocrity of the book. Many I'm sure will disagree but just my own personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. Its a really decent movie. I am a fan of the shining and this did that film justice. Rebecca ferguson is really good and gives a genuinely creepy performance. Ewan mcgregor is solid but that kid is brilliant. Last 15mins or so is very much like the end of the haunting of Hill house. It was only afterwards that I discovered that the same guy who wrote and directed this also did Hill house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Saw this last night, really enjoyed it. The Shining is a tough act to follow, especially because it's set in one location whereas Doctor Sleep is more expansive and there's a bit more jumping back and forth, but it doesn't lose focus.

I think it's important to note, this is the adaption of King's book, but it's set in Kubrick's universe. In King's book, the Outlook is destroyed at the end. So if you've read Doctor Sleep, just be prepared there will be differences, but I think the differences allow it the adaption to work better on the screen.

Vanessa Ferguson was terrific, McGregor was grand and the young girl did a decent job too. There's some interesting scenes visually, like when Rose does the astral projection.

I just thought that they stepped over from referencing or visual motifs of the Shining to outright copying certain scenes. I think it was done to make a nod towards things looping back around, to things coming full circle and that's great, but certain scenes were framed exactly as they were in the Shining and there wasn't a need because the director did a fine job with his own stuff.
    The dead lady with the baby was genuinely disturbing, they could have also gone further with the spirits in the Overlook once they take Rose the Hat. Surely they would have done more to stop Danny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,111 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Bit soft this unfortunately, speaking as someone who overall enjoyed the book in an easy going 7/10 way.
    Never approaches even that unfortunately, but might work better if someone is unfamiliar with it, but then again, it's too long with far too much heavy leaning on The Shining film, so the uninitiated with Kubrick's film will also be missing out. Tough one, but ultimately they need to sell this as a sequel to original film, but it fails in that regard too, let alone an adaptation of the source material or sequel to the original Shining novel.

Interestingly though, it's the focus on being a 'movie' Shining sequel that is probably its biggest failing as the film is at its strongest long before we reach the final third on fits and spurts, taking its time etc, and then we're served a bit of a mess.
    McGregor is OK, but not exactly selling it once he cleaned up, and I could look at that Rebecca Ferguson all day even if the ham is overglazed in parts. Like the book, it lacks the creepiness, it lacks the horror, it lacks the dread, but the book at least provided a continuation which appealed to me at the time.

Overall, a tough one to recommend, disappointing for me personally and probably not worth the trip (certainly not for the amount that were walking out during my screening.....very weird).
    Perhaps a 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I thought it was good for what it was, stays pretty engaging throughout - maybe the last act pushes a bit too far into the overfamilar.

Ewan is adequate, without being especially mind-blowing, the actress playing the little girl was fantastic. I thought Rebecca Ferguson was okay though she does over ham it in places.

It's not a bad movie, maybe, not essential viewing, but fans of The Shining will enjoy it.

99.9% sure everything they use that's meant to be from the original film - except, maybe, the elevator filled with blood - isn't taken from the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Most people I have talked to seem to have liked it so I will give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I thought this was extremely silly and quite poor. Felt more like a fantasy or superhero movie. It actually reminded me of a Twilight film, and then I saw Kermode made the same comparison in his review. It's a bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think there was a little reference to Carrie in the school library scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I really enjoyed this, the True Knot were very sinister and Rose was perfectly cast. I was intrigued by the high-tech looking cannisters that the True Knot had, I think they could expand on this in a tv series.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Pleasantly surprised watching this last week. Thought the weakest was Rebecca Ferguson though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I quite enjoyed it. Really liked the book (somewhat to my surprise) and thought this was mostly well made, though plenty of differences. I really enjoyed The True Knot as villains in the book and thought they were well depicted here.
    Thought the ending over did it a little with all the spooks appearing to take down Rosie and Danny mirroring his father with the limp and the axe. Liked the nod to the end of The Shining novel with the boiler.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Culchie_85

I enjoyed it, the first 2/3's were good but the last 1/3 really flagged.

It felt like it was gaining momentum multiple times and would just stop dead in its tracks. I like Mike Flanagan though, a good horror director. He will only get better.
    The murder scene of that baseball kid was very disturbing, not often you would see something so horrific even in a R rated studio movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Tusky wrote: »
    I thought this was extremely silly and quite poor. Felt more like a fantasy or superhero movie. It actually reminded me of a Twilight film, and then I saw Kermode made the same comparison in his review. It's a bit of a mess.

I've only watched it now, having thought the book was like Twilight. Thought it was absolutely rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Just watched this, having previously read The Shining novel and always been a massive fan of the Kubrick movie.

I am aware of the differences between the Novel and the Film for The Shining (to the annoyance of King if I recall), so its clear that for Flanagan to include the Overlook at the end of this, he had to bring King around by incorporating the ending from The Shining.
    The Boiler destroying the hotel and making the ghosts seem more real as opposed the visions of a man gone insane.

Overall, I enjoyed it, there was definitely some fan service which brought a lot of nostalgia for me which was very welcome. It certainly wasn't as scary as Kubricks film, but thats ok, it is more difficuly to do that when the universe for Doctor Sleep is so large in comparison.

Advertisement