Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Copa America

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

compare the average household income in South America to Europe

I wouldn't be an economist, i'm just looking at the empty stadiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good win for Uruguay. I can see them going far.

Japan vs Chile next up with a midnight kick-off our time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

watched the red a few more times, and it's exactly the kind of shíthousery VAR was probably introduced to cut out of the game.

The defender meant to lead with the forearm/elbow and a red is the right decision imo

Looks fairly harsh to me, defender backtracking at pace, jumps for the ball (not easy to do when running back), eyes only for the ball, opponent coming in from an angle at pace. Both players coming in at an angle. Connects with the elbow but I don't think there's any intent and at very worse I would say it was a little reckless as he wasn't really in control.

Looks worse when slowed down but in real time it's a yellow for me. It's quite hard to lead with the elbow unless one person is fairly static.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

PARlance wrote: »
    Looks fairly harsh to me, defender backtracking at pace, jumps for the ball (not easy to do when running back), eyes only for the ball, opponent coming in from an angle at pace. Both players coming in at an angle. Connects with the elbow but I don't think there's any intent and at very worse I would say it was a little reckless as he wasn't really in control.

Looks worse when slowed down but in real time it's a yellow for me. It's quite hard to lead with the elbow unless one person is fairly static.

Looks a ridiculous red card, yellow was fine. No way was that deliberate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

watched the red a few more times, and it's exactly the kind of shíthousery VAR was probably introduced to cut out of the game.

The defender meant to lead with the forearm/elbow and a red is the right decision imo

No one arguing too aggressively with that ref. Absolute unit :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just a note for Freesports fans that they are showing very delayed (!) as live coverage of some games - Brazil v Bolivia is on at 6 PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Teams for Japan vs Chile:
    Japan XI: Osako; Tomiyasu, Nakayama, N. Ueda; Kubo, Shibasaki, Hara, Sugioka; Maeda, Nakajima; A. Ueda.

Chile XI: Arias; Isla, Medel, Maripan, Beausejour; Vidal, Pulgar, Aranguiz; Fuenzalida, Vargas, Sanchez.

New Madrid signing Kubo starts for Japan. Looking forward to seeing how he fares. Also interested to see how Pulgar does in this tournament for Chile as I thought he had a good season with Bologna. Wondering will Alexis produce for his country or will he bring his United form? I'll go a 2-1 Chile win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Stadium looks bizarre with the bottom tiers seemingly empty and the top tiers full.

• Advertisement

Chile turning the screw a bit now and getting closer and closer. Could see this getting away from Japan if Chile can get a goal soon.

Pulgar! He's had a good half and that was a nice header. 1-0 Chile.

Finally a goal. Great header from the corner and the goal was coming.

2-0 Chile via Vargas's deflected shot. They've been playing some nice stuff this half.

What a miss by Japan. Ueda puts it wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ueda is going to have nightmares about this game. 3 huge chances to score.

Chile deserve to be in front but Japan have had very handy chances to score at least two which they've fluffed.

Chile coasting could be their undoing.

• Advertisement

Another chance not taken. A Japanese goal would make for an interesting finish.

Sanchez doing something useful in 2019....

I must be dreaming.

All over now. Sanchez makes it 3-0 Chile.

Vargas makes it four! Some lob.

Woof what a hit from Vargas. 4-0.

4-0 it ends which makes it look more one-sided than it was. Japan were still in the contest going into the final ten minutes. Their poor finishing let them down, though Chile were worthy of the win. Pulgar great in midfield, Aranguiz, Sanchez and Vargas impressive in attack. Chile could cause a few problems but I suspect the better teams would be able to punish their defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

monkey9 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be an economist, i'm just looking at the empty stadiums.

That is a major reason though. The vast majority of people in South America can't afford to travel to another country for games. South America is also much bigger than Europe and the terraim makes travel very hard.

That is a major reason though. The vast majority of people in South America can't afford to travel to another country for games. South America is also much bigger than Europe and the terraim makes travel very hard.

Id say there's an element of overkill too.

There's been a Copa America in 2015, 2016 and 2019 as well as one due in 2020.

Granted one was in the USA but having four tournaments in six years is an awful lot.

And a lot of Colombians and Peruvians were in Russia last year. Many people who might have made the trip probably can't afford it now.

And a lot of Colombians and Peruvians were in Russia last year. Many people who might have made the trip probably can't afford it now.

I don't think the budget airline thing ever took off in South America either, right? Flights are still crazy expensive compared to the value people in Europe, North America and Asia can get.

Oat23 wrote: »
    I don't think the budget airline thing ever took off in South America either, right? Flights are still crazy expensive compared to the value people in Europe, North America and Asia can get.
    sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah I was talking to a lad I know from Brazil about this awhile ago, well we were talking about how great the likes of Ryanair are over here and he was saying it costs about half a months wages back home to fly to neighboring countries like Colombia.

Of course, the distance from southern Brazil (Where they almost all live) to Colombia is huge. To put it in perspective, Dublin is 1700 miles from Moscow. Rio is 2800 miles from Bogota.

Colombia has more budget airlines than before. Flights within the country (And some to countries like Panama and Peru) are now quite cheap.

Peru beat Bolivia 2-1.

Brazil drew 0-0 with Venezuela after having three goals disallowed through VAR.

Colombia vs Qatar kicking off at 10:30pm. Teams:
    Colombia XI: Ospina; Medina, Mina, Sanchez, Tesillo; Cuadrado, Barrios, Uribe; J. Rodriguez, Zapata, Martinez.

Qatar XI: Al Sheeb; Ro-Ro, Al-Rawi, Salman, Hassan; Al Haidos, Madibo, Khoukhi, Afif; Hatem; Ali.

Pleased to see Duvan Zapata starting. I'll say a 2-0 Colombia win.

Weird moment in this game as the ref stops to check VAR for possible handball. Seemed like he pointed to the spot to award a pen and the Colombia fans cheered only for the game to get back under way without one. Weird stuff. Commentator doesn't know what's going on either.

0-0 at Half-Time. Colombia with the better chances but can't find the breakthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Can't say I feel sorry for Qatar, act pig ignorant to the gutless ref & play some pretty aimless football on top of it. Not that Colombia could be mistaken for Dortmund here

Zapata! 1-0 Colombia.

Great header as he scores his second goal in as many games. Lovely ball from James with the outside of the boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Well that was an entertaining second half, with the ****housery still going on as the final whistle blew. Love an underdog, and Colmobia are no angels, but Qatar are not making any friends here

Oh, bad miss from Zapata. Should have finished that for 2-0.

And that's the final action of the game. Qatar didn't win many friends with their aggression towards the official. Ref was weak and should have given a few cards when they were in his face.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mad stuff from the Argentinian keeper. Lucky not to be sent off. Halfway in his own half to collect a clearance, poor first touch and boots the striker.

Argentina a rabble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Thats a joke of a decision for the penalty. Argentina blessed to be back in this. Great game, I can see a sending off or two yet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Otamendi chops down a player brainlessly for a penalty that the mad keeper saves with one foot on the line...

Argentina are so self destructive.

It must be inordinately frustrating being Messi playing with this lot.

The epitome of a great team on paper only, as they have been for so many years now. The ultimate bottlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It must be inordinately frustrating being Messi playing with this lot.

The epitome of a great team on paper only, as they have been for so many years now. The ultimate bottlers.

He selects the manager.
    He selects the team.
    He selects the tactics.
    He still manages to take penalties despite his rubbish record.

But

Everybody else is to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Weird moment in this game as the ref stops to check VAR for possible handball. Seemed like he pointed to the spot to award a pen and the Colombia fans cheered only for the game to get back under way without one. Weird stuff. Commentator doesn't know what's going on either.

0-0 at Half-Time. Colombia with the better chances but can't find the breakthrough.

was the ref potentially pointing for a Goal Kick?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

was the ref potentially pointing for a Goal Kick?

No, it was a free out apparently. For some reason the ref picked up the all & then gave the ball to Qatar defender as if it was a 5 a side between 8 year olds. It's hard to explain as it was badly handled(no pun intended); going by recent decisions it should be a penalty too.

• Advertisement

He selects the manager.
    He selects the team.
    He selects the tactics.

But

I think thats slightly disingenuous to the problem if you're suggesting Messi is the issue.

The problem is not Messi. The problem is a lack of leadership and a smaller talent pool across the blocks.

Messi can't be pinned for the sheer panic whenever a corner comes in, nor can he be faulted by some strange tactical choices. He's an issue sure (the tendency to funnel all balls to him) but there's a deeper problem there involving financial resources, development, leadership or the lack of any good Argentinian manager at the helm when there are brilliant Argentinian managers out there.

He selects the manager.
    He selects the team.
    He selects the tactics.

But

You left out he scores 68 goals for his country and counting.

Clearly the weak link of the team...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

If more of Argentinian team were like Messi they'd be far better off, at least his international performances come somewhere close to his club form, the rest of team massively under perform compared to how they are with their clubs. Aguero is generally pretty poor when he plays with Argentina but you never hear him getting blamed despite him being one of the best players in the world.

Also the Argentinian FA make the FAI look like a relatively competently run organization and there's the fact that selection policies over the years tend to be bizzare, this is a country that left Javier Zanetti out of the 2006 World cup squad and 2010 world cup squads and Cambiasso out of the 2010 squad when they were some of the best players in the world at the time of those world cups.

South American nations as a whole tend to be badly managed compared to their European counterparts.

Uruguay vs Japan kicks off at midnight. Teams:
    Uruguay XI: Muslera; Caceres, Gimenez, Godin, Laxalt; Nandez, Torreira, Bentancur, Lodeiro; Cavani, Suarez.

Japan XI: Kawashima; Itakura, Tomiyasu, N. Ueda, Iwata, Sugioka; Nakajima, Shibasaki, Abe; Miyoshi, Okazaki.

Arsenal's Lucas Torreira comes in for the injured Matias Vecino in Uruguay's only change. Japan make a few changes: Ueda loses his place up top after wasting a handful of chances against Chile; former Leicester forward Shinji Okazaki replaces him. Madrid's new signing Kubo also benched. Japan have changed their goalkeeper as well with former Dundee United keeper Kawashima coming in.

Hope Japan are more clinical than they were in their opening game. Can only see a Uruguay win here.

Can't believe Japan called Ito up to both Toulon & Copa America and then don't play him in either. By the time he gets back to Hamburg after his mandatory 3 week break the league will be about to start. He should be fuming.

Nice start to this game. Okazaki goes close moments after Suarez nearly scores from the halfway line.

• Advertisement

Japan lead! What a finish by Miyoshi.

Laxalt's hamstring gone as well. Gonzalez on for him.

Oh ffs he's given Uruguay a pen for that? Come on. No way imo. Think that's absurd.

And Suarez equalises. Fecking VAR. Not a clear and obvious error at all.

https://twitter.com/louorns/status/1141851744818868226

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oh ffs he's given Uruguay a pen for that? Come on. No way imo. Think that's absurd.

And Suarez equalises. Fecking VAR. Not a clear and obvious error at all.

https://twitter.com/louorns/status/1141851744818868226

Not much point in VAR if the officials are going to give that. But the ref is far too whsitle-happy so it was always on the cards.

This has a feeling of a lively friendly about it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Isn't it a penalty though? Cavani seems to make contact with the ball, but his follow-through is impeded by the Japan defender. You can see the trajectory of the ball change right before he makes contact with the defender's foot. The shot would likely have had a lot more power behind it if the defender's foot isn't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oat23 wrote: »
    Isn't it a penalty though? Cavani seems to make contact with the ball, but his follow-through is impeded by the Japan defender. You can see the trajectory of the ball change right before he makes contact with the defender's foot. The shot would likely have had a lot more power behind it if the defender's foot isn't there.

Ugh, it just means we're moving down the road of 'touch the ball with your hand under any circumstances, and its a pen', and 'touch the player in any way without winning the ball, pen'. In this case, the player didn't seem to have any particular movement towards Cavani, so he wasn't 'stamping' with stoods up or something... instead he put up his foot to just block, and Cavani kicked through him. To me that feels like passive defending, with the 'foul' cause by the attacker only being impeded by actively kicking him.

Things that weren't really even remotely considered pens before, are now being given time and time again with VAR. Seems like they're erring on the side of giving everything, regardless how innocuous.

From the premier league's statement the other day with regards the pens being retaken in the womens world cup (stating this sort of thing wont happen in their usage of VAR), hopefully they'll err more on the side of only changing obvious mistakes that could have been seen with the naked eye.

• Advertisement
Advertisement