Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured seagull on Tara st bridge

Options
  • 14-06-2019 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

I know most people despise them but on way to work a seagull must have got hit by a car as part of a bumper on the pavement and a seagull with a bloody wound and one wing completely broken , just walking dazed on the pavement

Who is best to call ?

Probably no one but poor bird looks in pain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Likely a common Herring Gull. They're in abundance around the city and classed as scavengers. I'm sorry to say no one will be rushing out with lights to save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

D3V!L wrote: »
    Likely a common Herring Gull. They're in abundance around the city and classed as scavengers. I'm sorry to say no one will be rushing out with lights to save it.

That’s correct , huge bird

Yes, they are not liked and for obvious reasons. Just a shame to see any animal or bird in pain and in such a vulnerable position

That’s correct , huge bird

Yes, they are not liked and for obvious reasons. Just a shame to see any animal or bird in pain and in such a vulnerable position

Rang dspca , someone is going to try and get the bird until dspca arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Also try Kildare Animal Foundation Wildlife Unit. They are great and have volunteers all around the country. They would very much be interested in helping

I love gulls, and I don't understand the hatred for them.

They're nowhere near as malignant and contagious-looking as the infernal pigeon.

I find seagulls very graceful, and clean. I also like their assertiveness. You get the feeling they don't dawdle through life like the pigeon does, they have purpose and determination. They are also grateful, I'm sure one winked at me once.

Sorry to hear about this little fella, but if I know gulls, I'm sure he'll be back on his feet and nicking your lunch in no time.

• Advertisement

Agree, I find them interesting

I like watching them perform their rain dances on grass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Me neither, until I began to be woken by their incessant screeching at the break of dawn every morning. So many fantasies of going wild with an anti-aircraft gun...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I thought I was the only one. I love the perma-angry expression on their faces. They are bad ass. They are quite big too some of them and keep their feathers very well. I could watch them all day.
    Anyway good on you OP for getting on to RSPCA, I saw a squirrel freaking out in traffic in town recently and it looked like it could only end one way, I'm still distraught! It's never nice to see a distressed animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This bird sounds like the same one that stole my chips in clontarf yesterday. Serves him right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I admire their badass-ness. They don’t seem to be afraid of anything. The eyes they give you!

And like someone else said, they always look healthy, especially when you compare them with other street bird, the pigeon.

Hope the bird was OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Unfortunately a humane despatch will be the likely outcome here

Gael23 wrote: »
    Unfortunately a humane despatch will be the likely outcome here

Yes, well believe that to be the case. Better that, than suffering in severe pain though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Yes, well believe that to be the case. Better that, than suffering in severe pain though

Going by the description of the bird it was more than likely the devil that stole my chips. I don’t have any sympathy for him.

Going by the description of the bird it was more than likely the devil that stole my chips. I don’t have any sympathy for him.

Read your comment the first time, I understand, you don’t like seagulls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Going by what description?? Was he injured at the time? Poor thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Saw a deceased swan in a council workers wheel barrow at Heuston this morning.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

shane1981 wrote: »
    Saw a deceased swan in a council workers wheel barrow at Heuston this morning.:(

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Two seagulls are pals with one of the fish monger women on Moore Street, they're so well behaved around her, good as gold, waiting for scraps on the glass overhang of the Ilac. The 'babies' hang back further away from the overhang (brown and white milky plumage)

They know the routine, no fuss, no complaining. Quiet as a mouse, just wait untill offered..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

They're nowhere near as malignant and contagious-looking as the infernal pigeon.

I find seagulls very graceful, and clean. I also like their assertiveness. You get the feeling they don't dawdle through life like the pigeon does, they have purpose and determination. They are also grateful, I'm sure one winked at me once.

Sorry to hear about this little fella, but if I know gulls, I'm sure he'll be back on his feet and nicking your lunch in no time.

Do you live by the seaside? Where I live has an abundance of them and they are quite noisy during the summer at 4am when the sun comes up and people are trying to sleep to be up for work. Many kids who have food or are seen by the bird to be too close to their nest are also attacked in their own back gardens. I've even found them in the Midlands in the UK!

Probably our fault that they are so far inland and desperate for food now though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement