Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satanists in Limerick

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-poland-blasphemy/court-rules-against-polish-rocker-who-tore-up-bible-idUKBRE89T01920121030
    Poland’s Supreme Court opened the way on Monday for a blasphemy verdict against a rock musician who tore up a Bible on stage
    Makes me want to see them even more.

5c3c6d424cc88.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Wasn’t Sinead O Connor at that crack for a while too... burning religious stuff... good for a laugh and a few headlines anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 embers_fire

Amon Amarth are also playing. Let's not forget that, they're a great band too. There's been enough attention for Behemoth.

But to stay slightly on-topic:
    Is it okay for a band to promote Pagan beliefs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

No, down with that sort of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

No, down with that sort of thing!

Careful now!

Well someone had to say it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Amon Amarth are also playing. Let's not forget that, they're a great band too. There's been enough attention for Behemoth.

That would be an ecumenical matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Wasn’t Sinead O Connor at that crack for a while too... burning religious stuff... good for a laugh and a few headlines anyway.

She got some pasting when she tore up the picture of the pope on Saturday night live, it was a very brave thing to do back in those days as the world was still a lot more entrenched in mindlessly respecting the church

https://youtu.be/ZSLyEPeWjNk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

scoobydude wrote: »
    She got some pasting when she tore up the picture of the pope on Saturday night live, it was a very brave thing to do back in those days as the world was still a lot more entrenched in mindlessly respecting the church

https://youtu.be/ZSLyEPeWjNk

The world actually owes her an apology, she was right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

swarlb wrote: »
    Ye say that now, but imagine if you will the reaction if 'the burning of Cork' was re-enacted on stage (in Limerick), complete with black and tan uniforms gleefully burning, looting and whatever... all in the name of 'art'.
    Would it be as acceptable as a band burning bibles and spouting satanic verse ?

Imagine how our pagan ancestors would feel that every 'sabbath' a ritual is held in a building built atop their sacred groves. Probably even children abused in that building, while their priests lectured their descendants on morality. But pagans aren't calling for the mass to be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm from wicklow and know first hand the damage the Vikings did to the likes of glendalough and I'm offended we've invited Viking sympathisers to our finest norman castle, a castle so awesome king John never bothered his hole visiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

swarlb wrote: »
    Would it be as acceptable as a band burning bibles and spouting satanic verse ?

I suppose you could say the same about a priest getting up on an altar and denouncing Satan. Very insulting to the Satanists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

So the headbangers are not the headbangers?

Talk about signs and wonders!

Not exactly my scene but more of this on Monday nights please. Could hear the satanic demons rocking the castle from my back garden yesterday and it sounded epic. Hope ye enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Not exactly my scene but more of this on Monday nights please. Could hear the satanic demons rocking the castle from my back garden yesterday and it sounded epic. Hope ye enjoyed it.

It was frickin amaazing

No sign of the councillor either

Maybe he showed up and liked what he heard and saw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Singing death and destruction is so cool. Like alcohol, gives you false temporary satisfaction and then back to your miserable self. Oh to be so cool...

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

You seem to the the only miserable person on this thread judging by your posts.

You seem to the the only miserable person on this thread judging by your posts.

Just pointing out the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭what?

They promote evil, what more proof do you need. The publicity may help get their monetary rewards in this world but it highlights what should and should not be tolerated in today's society. His voice will be supported by many that try to live their lives with morals and values, while for others their blazair attitude will welcome this destructive satanic music.

The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth

Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
    Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
    When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
    If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
    Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
    Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
    Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
    Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
    Do not harm little children.
    Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
    When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

aye, grand job mate

Singing death and destruction is so cool. Like alcohol, gives you false temporary satisfaction and then back to your miserable self. Oh to be so cool...

Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm not a Satanist myself, it is largely just an antithesis to Christianity derived from paganism though. It's actually quite life-affirming and celebratory of this world in comparison to Christianity, which I find to be quite miserable and death obsessed, especially the Catholic sect of the cult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Gig was amazing.Both Amon Amarth & Behemoth put on fantastic shows.The venue & pyrotechnics were class . Would love to have an annual event like this on.

Seanachai wrote: »
    I'm not a Satanist myself, it is largely just an antithesis to Christianity derived from paganism though. It's actually quite life-affirming and celebratory of this world in comparison to Christianity, which I find to be quite miserable and death obsessed, especially the Catholic sect of the cult.

Not very celebratory based on the rules of satanism above, such as treat a guest cruelly, without mercy and destroy him. Christianity if thought properly can fill you with the Holy Spirit giving love and patience in the heart. I agree Catholic side could teach Christianity better, such as if there was more focus on bible reading and worship through song giving a more inclusive community connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Not very celebratory based on the rules of satanism above, such as treat a guest cruelly, without mercy and destroy him. Christianity if thought properly can fill you with the Holy Spirit giving love and patience in the heart. I agree Catholic side could teach Christianity better, such as if there was more focus on bible reading and worship through song giving a more inclusive community connection.

One world order, before I start, I’ll let you know that I am an atheist, and fan of some metal music so you know where I am coming from.

I think the Satanic rules are a lot more relevant than the Christian commandments. Yes, it does state to treat a guest cruelly and without mercy, though it is in the context of them doing something to annoy you in your own home, i.e. don’t suffer fools in your own home, it’s your space and what you say goes in there, don’t allow a guest to set the agenda and overrule you in your home. That seems to me to be exceptionally reasonable and simple common sense, but when selectively mis-read comes across as cruel and vindictive.

There is a lot of selective reading going on here, which is normal for Christians when “debating” other religions or ways of life. The biggest issue I have with religions, well; Christianity and Islam, is their desire to have the public discussion follow their tenets.

We live in a multi-cultural republic, with a constitution which protects those of all faiths and none. While it’s not your cup of tea, it’s also not your place, nor is it Cllr Kevin Sheehan’s place to police events like this and look for them to be cancelled in the name of YOUR God. YOUR faith is not the only one on this Island, and those of other faiths, and none, have just as much of a right to hear their speakers, listen to their music and read their books as you do.

You derive peace, faith and community from your religion, and I congratulate you for that, I really do. If you are happy with your position in life, then I would understand your wish to spread that, however you must realise that others don’t share your outlook, and it is ignorant and unreasonable to force your beliefs on others.

I live by the phrase “Live and let live”, I think the world would be a much better place if Christians could adopt that same attitude, rather than trying to have concerts cancelled because it doesn’t square with their faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Would there be a smell at those concerts lads? Lots of long haired bloke's like sardines in a tin sweating purfusly on each other? Male bonding at its finest I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I’ve known a few Satanist rock dudes, good guys a little shy and awkward.

Thing is, none of these people are actually evil or even Satanists in a concrete sense. It’s a stage act, a music genre and a mode of dress. If they were confronted in reality with the acts and scenarios they scream down a microphone about or enjoy rocking out to they’d soil their black jeans.

Kevin Sheahan likely publicized this gig more than the outfit in question could ever hope to. If he really wanted to limit their platform he should have kept his mouth shut. As it is, he promoted them.

Worrying that with all the pressing problems affecting Limerick that a public representative would indulge in this nonsense. It would be more in his line to do something about the malfunctioning hospital or the various excesses of our newest (fake), downtrodden ethnic minority in the city and county, but such action would carry risks and entail real leadership. Safer to attack some funky looking foreigners with long hair.

It will win him points with the beige, curtain-twitching element he relies on for votes. Most of those who see his stupidity for what it is wouldn’t vote for him anyway (or, often, don’t vote at all). He won’t be damaged by this, save in the eyes of some who don’t matter to him. He’ll sail on, probably to more electoral success, which is the saddest thing about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Would there be a smell at those concerts lads? Lots of long haired bloke's like sardines in a tin sweating purfusly on each other? Male bonding at its finest I'd say.

Why would there be a smell? You think that just because people have long hair, they don't wash themselves? I am guessing by your username you're an Oasis fan. So lots of plastic football hooligan wannabes packed into an Oasis gig wouldn't be sweating on each other?
    "Dirty grungers". A classic put down by a certain type of folk who think a fancy haircut and expensive pair of shoes maketh the man.... :rolleyes:
    The same idiots slagging off rockers are the types who walk down Cruises street with their hands down the front of their tracksuit bottoms. Must be some smell off their hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

We took a walk around Clancy Strand during the gig, thought it was good craic from the outside! Plenty of others out and about to see and hear it, sent a few videos on to friends who thought it was a bit surreal to hear that from a castle on a fine summer evening.

My only real complaints are A) that this isn't a more regular thing and B) the length of time we were waiting between the end of the first band and the start of the second was too long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Cossax wrote: »
    We took a walk around Clancy Strand during the gig, thought it was good craic from the outside! Plenty of others out and about to see and hear it, sent a few videos on to friends who thought it was a bit surreal to hear that from a castle on a fine summer evening.

My only real complaints are A) that this isn't a more regular thing and B) the length of time we were waiting between the end of the first band and the start of the second was too long!

45 minutes?
    That’s pretty standard between sets
    Especially as both were headline sets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

bennyl10 wrote: »
    45 minutes?
    That’s pretty standard between sets
    Especially as both were headline sets

2 unique shows too I'd say... Sorry I missed it

• Advertisement

That's LaVey Satanism, which is more or less an LA based revival group from the 60's, it's very tongue-in-cheek, are you aware of the beginnings of the church in Europe?, it wasn't a peaceful conversion by any means. A lot of what is called satanism is actually just psycho-pomp and theatre, I'd take a satanist who is in touch with their shadow who is a decent person over somebody who is love and light and is actually a lousy person underneath.

Advertisement