Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Day tripper's experience of Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

How .... Can it plus the crime is far worse in both Cork and Galway at the moment tune a little

I think apart from a gangland crime problem, in certain parts of Dublin, that Irelands cities don't really have a crime problem.In the grand scheme of things Ireland is a very safe country.In fact some of the provincial towns are rougher than the cities on a saturday night.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I think apart from a gangland crime problem, in certain parts of Dublin, that Irelands cities don't really have a crime problem.In the grand scheme of things Ireland is a very safe country.In fact some of the provincial towns are rougher than the cities on a saturday night.

Pretty much true but at this moment in time limerick is way ahead of both Cork or Galway in terms of any sort of crime even if it is a few youngsters trying to act hard,

I really think Galway has let it self down In recent years, Cork is heading in Dublins direction though it will only get worse down there

Pretty much true but at this moment in time limerick is way ahead of both Cork or Galway in terms of any sort of crime even if it is a few youngsters trying to act hard,

I really think Galway has let it self down In recent years, Cork is heading in Dublins direction though it will only get worse down there

Apart from a few dodgy areas, i think Dublin is safe enough tbh.

Apart from a few dodgy areas, i think Dublin is safe enough tbh.

It is in its bolix, unless you spend most of your time in rush or balbriggan the city as a whole is a disgrace and little is being done about ir

It is in its bolix, unless you spend most of your time in rush or balbriggan the city as a whole is a disgrace and little is being done about ir

Drogheda seems to have the worst crime problem outside Dublin at the moment.And you are from Clare.Doesn't Ennis suffer from a high profile feud?Look sort out the dirt on your own doorstep first, before worrying about others.;)

• Advertisement

Drogheda seems to have the worst crime problem outside Dublin at the moment.And you are from Clare.Doesn't Ennis suffer from a high profile feud?Look sort out the dirt on your own doorstep first, before worrying about others.;)

Yes travelers love killing themselves it doesn't mean that limerick is a worse city then cork or Galway because it isn't

And don't worry Ennis is a far safer place to live then the current ****e hole of our mighty capital

Limerick is also far safer then Dublin, Galway or Cork dont worry

I think we should start a limerick apoligy thread if one or two people have it in themselves to wind there neck in..... Close the thread.. Experiment failed

in terms of starting a new thread you are perfect ....where did you say what county you say you were from again ........anyway it doesn't matter :pac::pac::pac:

because your opinions are so excellent we have decided to give you special treatment
    lead the way my good man limerick is apparently not as bad as drogheda even though no one was talking about the place so instead we also threw in wait ....where venice ,,,,actually no Ennis instead :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

yes folks lets all sit back and relax and listen to a man from the other side of the country that has zero ideas of what he is talking about and take him seriously ........it should be good :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭complicit

Some Butt hurt people in this thread . The OPs observations are all spot on . The area around the train station is shabby and uninviting . Someone made the point that this is true of all cities , not so , it is true of a lot of mainland European cities , but comparable cities in England have beautiful districts around their stations .

The accent is awful and seems to have gotten worse over time , compare to Galway with its nice neutral accent . In improving cities accents get toned down , it is what it is .

The comparison with Galway is relevant in many respects . Galway has the best demographics of any large settlement in Ireland , Limerick has the worst .

Limerick has suffered almost a century of mis-management - if it had been managed better since the early 20 century , it could be a fine city . As others have said , it has a pleasing big city feel , rather than the town feel of Galway .
    The stock of Georgian buildings is exceptional .
    Still its not too late to change . I see lots of improvement in Limerick and I expect that it will be far better in 20 years time . The potential of Limerick is mind blowing when you think about it - what an opportunity !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

complicit wrote: »
    Some Butt hurt people in this thread . The OPs observations are all spot on . The area around the train station is shabby and uninviting . Someone made the point that this is true of all cities , not so , it is true of a lot of mainland European cities , but comparable cities in England have beautiful districts around their stations .

The accent is awful and seems to have gotten worse over time , compare to Galway with its nice neutral accent . In improving cities accents get toned down , it is what it is .

The comparison with Galway is relevant in many respects . Galway has the best demographics of any large settlement in Ireland , Limerick has the worst .

Limerick has suffered almost a century of mis-management - if it had been managed better since the early 20 century , it could be a fine city . As others have said , it has a pleasing big city feel , rather than the town feel of Galway .
    The stock of Georgian buildings is exceptional .
    Still its not too late to change . I see lots of improvement in Limerick and I expect that it will be far better in 20 years time . The potential of Limerick is mind blowing when you think about it - what an opportunity !

Not butthurt, just bored. You're adding to it frankly.

Limerick has changed much for the better over the last decade, and it's retaining it's young people more than it has done before. you could give credit where it's due, instead you revert to ragging on people's accents. Cheap and boring observations.

Part of Limerick's transformation is that people stopped listening to smartars*s who wanted to run down the place and started making the city better.

Your contribution has been noted, actually wait it hasn't, it'll just get filed with all the other negative pointless ones.

EDIT: And by the way, the statistical area for average ages in the 2016 census is for Limerick City & County, while it is just for the city in Galway's case.

If you can kindly supply some sort of proof that Limerick city and suburbs holds 'the worst demographics of any major settlement in Ireland' we'd all be most obliged. In fact, with the expansion of UL and the economy generally since the 2011 census, it wouldn't surprise me if Limerick is approaching, if not better than Galway with regards to average age.

Not that I'm into d*ckwaving, but if you're going to pick a fight with fuzzy stats...

• Advertisement

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp3oy/cp3/aad/

In fact, in both 2011 and 2016, Limerick (city & county) had a younger average age than Dublin city, Cork city, Waterford (city & county).

Cork was by quite a margin the 'oldest' city. If one could purloin the stats for city and suburbs of Limerick, it's likely one of the youngest cities in the state (and possibly younger than Galway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well when you're making a list of negatives about somewhere and included "Lots of foreigners around" as what reads like on of the points in the list, it does read as xenophobia to be fair.

Also port cities were always quite diverse. Would you have been giving out about my 18th and 19th century Dublin French ancestors too for not being sufficiently Dublin enough for you?

Could it not just be an observation?

Always a shame to see so many in " like flynn" with the xenophobia accusation.

As original as it is clever.

I've gotten to know Limerick well since 2013 as my other half is from there, Limerick people are very friendly and very real, Galway is terribly smug and borderline pretensious by comparison.

Limerick is too modest for its own good, that's its biggest fault, I find the place has authenticity and sincere charm, I would be very optimistic about the future of the place. It does have a truly dreadful city Council however and its not like the bar is high

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭boardise

Question for the OP;

What did you hope to achieve with this thread?[/QU

Exactly - offering a 'critique' of a city based on a half-day visit is like assessing a novel after reading 10 random pages . Utterly pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well here's a Dub's impression of Limerick.

I love Limerick city, adore it and the people in it.

Sure there are some places which could do with a tidy up, around the train station for one but then show me a pretty train station (using Dublin's Connolly and Hueston stations as comparisons and I'll show you hoards of addicts, dealers & beggars).

The apartments fronting onto the Dock Road from the Shannon Bridge to Dolans look awful and could do with brightening up.

There's a single issue I have with Limerick which you don't find in Dublin, and its very noticeable, dog pooh!. The footpaths are littered with dog pooh, its terrible.

And that's all the negatives this Dub can point out without nit picking.

Positives are your bars, unlike Dublin city center bars your bars down there still have a 'local' feel to them. I love 'em, and the reaction in them when they hear my Dublin accent, I'm almost immediately brought into the banter.

There's history everywhere if you look for it, and you don't have to look very hard. There are plaques and information points everywhere telling you the history of King John's Castle, to the docks & various ship wrecks which happened on the river to more modern times like our 1916 Easter rising, war of independence and the civil war.

If the OP didn't find these you walked around either blind folded or you went to Limerick with the sole intent of hating the place.

I could do on, how could you not even take a break somewhere along the quays and enjoy the ebb and flow of the Shannon. I've never seen a tide come in or go out like it, and the sheer span of the river, its majestic.

I love that much of Limerick city still has an old town feel to it, I've too such good memories of Limerick.

And the people of Limerick, its like they're compensating for the cruel hatchet job the media has done on the place over the last 20 years by being probably the countries friendliest people.

And then Limerick's gift to the world, The Cranberries & Dolores O'Riordan <3

I could go on and on, but then I'd be missing you (Limerick) so awfully that I'd be on the green bus from Dublin for a fish & chips in Bobby Byrnes and leg it around onto Wolfe Tone Street for a rake of pints in Charlie Malones.

Now I want to jump on a bus, or ride my bike down.. When I ride down on the way home I'd usually pull over somewhere in Tipp to gather my thoughts and hold onto the memories of another beautiful visit to Limerick.

There ya go, impressions from a Dub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Can you review Tipp Town next please.

I can do that:)

Sure there are some places which could do with a tidy up, around the train station for one but then show me a pretty train station (using Dublin's Connolly and Hueston stations as comparisons and I'll show you hoards of addicts, dealers & beggars).

The apartments fronting onto the Dock Road from the Shannon Bridge to Dolans look awful and could do with brightening up.

There's a single issue I have with Limerick which you don't find in Dublin, and its very noticeable, dog pooh!. The footpaths are littered with dog pooh, its terrible.

Positives are your bars, unlike Dublin city center bars your bars down there still have a 'local' feel to them. I love 'em, and the reaction in them when they hear my Dublin accent, I'm almost immediately brought into the banter.

There's history everywhere if you look for it, and you don't have to look very hard. There are plaques and information points everywhere telling you the history of King John's Castle, to the docks & various ship wrecks which happened on the river to more modern times like our 1916 Easter rising, war of independence and the civil war.

If the OP didn't find these you walked around either blind folded or you went to Limerick with the sole intent of hating the place.

I could do on, how could you not even take a break somewhere along the quays and enjoy the ebb and flow of the Shannon. I've never seen a tide come in or go out like it, and the sheer span of the river, its majestic.

I love that much of Limerick city still has an old town feel to it, I've too such good memories of Limerick.

And the people of Limerick, its like they're compensating for the cruel hatchet job the media has done on the place over the last 20 years by being probably the countries friendliest people.

I could go on and on, but then I'd be missing you (Limerick) so awfully that I'd be on the green bus from Dublin for a fish & chips in Bobby Byrnes and leg it around onto Wolfe Tone Street for a rake of pints in Charlie Malones.

Now I want to jump on a bus, or ride my bike down.. When I ride down on the way home I'd usually pull over somewhere in Tipp to gather my thoughts and hold onto the memories of another beautiful visit to Limerick.

That's the spirit!

Limerick - Suggested serving:

Gather 4-5 of your most trusted and craicworthy mates, chowder and a feed of porter at the Currogower overlooking the Shannon on a sunny day. A wander down to Thomond Park to watch a middling professional rugby outfit squeeze out a win in a beautiful world-famous rugby stadium. Back into town for a few more beverages and a match post-mortem in Mickey Martin's / Flannery's (Shannon Street).

A quick detour to Chicken Hut for a superchip then up towards Pery Square with Costello's on your mind; hand Flan a crisp fiver, ask him about the horses and access granted to funkytown. Downstairs for the chats and toasties, upstairs for the same classic setlist since the mid-2000s, including, Ireland's greatest smoking area. A shift off some art-college young wan if you're lucky, but no matter if you don't - Battles is on the sound system, all is well.

I've been to Tokyo, I've been to Paris, but as Lou Reed once might have sang: "It's such a perfect day, I'm glad I spent it in Limerick."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

I think we should start a limerick apoligy thread if one or two people have it in themselves to wind there neck in..... Close the thread.. Experiment failed

I accept your apology.

Now why not get back to Moyross in your sulky and stop whipping those unfortunate horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

And you forgot to mention the regular great concerts in Dolans - also on the Dock Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

And you forgot to mention the regular great concerts in Dolans - also on the Dock Road.

Because although I’ve drank there I’ve never attended a gig there.

I accept your apology.

Now why not get back to Moyross in your sulky and stop whipping those unfortunate horses.

am ... i am not form limerick ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm afraid I have to agree with much of the OPs sentimemts.

The core of Limerick is in a generally poor state due to disastrous planning policies that hollowed out the urban core's retail activity to the suburban shopping centres. The train station is a complete disgrace for a city in a developed country in the 21st century.

Limerick has so much potential - the majestic river Shannon, King John's Castle, the Hunt Museum and the most intact Georgian streetscape outside of Dublin but it's not being well maintained or capitalised upon. Yes, Limerick saw a bit of an urban renewal boom 25 years ago but that's old hat now. Cruises St and Arthurs Quay are shadows of their former selves...

Instead of just getting defensive maybe look at why Limerick has a rather shabby core and make plans to do something about it. Think of some of the comments in this thread as constructive criticism.

Look at Cork - it is boomimg with so much new construction. Why isn't Limerick following suit?

As for Galway, it's over-rated and utterly chocked to paralysis with traffic. So on that count the OP is being a tad disingenous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

complicit wrote:

Surely some mistake...?? The flat Galway accent is a monotonous drone in comparison to the lyrical Limerick lilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

The city center is rotting.

It is smelly and dirty.

I get that not every part of any city is pefect. Ive travelled a lot. And Limerick city is the worst city center Ive ever seen. I dont even know what is the city center-Pennys? (which was a beautiful old stone building before they knocked it to make a really ****ty red brick thing.

The suburbs and off the city center are flourishing. Henry street is a lovely street.

There is an amount of beautiful Georgian buildings in the center, and they all simply rotting.

O connnell street/william street/by the station - the buildings/footpaths are rotting. The worst thing is noone takes care of their buiding facades. hence the rotting look.

The new footpaths on o connell street - actually couldnt believe my eyes when I seen them. Very 3rd world country of the city council. Maybe thats the look they are going for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

bobbyss wrote: »
    Took bus to Limerick. Spent half a day there.
    Bus / Train Station: I felt I had to wash myself in hot water when I left. Absolutely filthy. Old. Unkempt. The last time I was there it was exactly the same. Must be a depressing place to work in. Why don't they clean/ fumigate it.

Some fine looking buildings. Opposite the train station was the Railway Hotel. Fine building but I think closed and looking dirty and filthy.

Huge empty space outside the station. What's going on there? Seemed like a waste and all concrete.
    Lots of foreigners around.
    Overall impression was a shabby place.
    The people in the shops were very friendly and warm.

That accent! I thought Cork was bad but Limerick seems to be some kind of cross of Cork and the even worse Kerry.

That place outside Arthur's Quay. Was it a tourist office? Now empty and falling apart. Shabby. Noticed a few characters lazing about in the adjacent park.

Third biggest city in the country should offer more.

We didn't send for ye, and if you ever come back be careful you don't get stabbed with that attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

JupiterKid wrote: »

The core of Limerick is in a generally poor state due to disastrous planning policies that hollowed out the urban core's retail activity to the suburban shopping centres. The train station is a complete disgrace for a city in a developed country in the 21st century.

Limerick has so much potential - the majestic river Shannon, King John's Castle, the Hunt Museum and the most intact Georgian streetscape outside of Dublin but it's not being well maintained or capitalised upon. Yes, Limerick saw a bit of an urban renewal boom 25 years ago but that's old hat now. Cruises St and Arthurs Quay are shadows of their former selves...

Instead of just getting defensive maybe look at why Limerick has a rather shabby core and make plans to do something about it. Think of some of the comments in this thread as constructive criticism.

Look at Cork - it is boomimg with so much new construction. Why isn't Limerick following suit?

As for Galway, it's over-rated and utterly chocked to paralysis with traffic. So on that count the OP is being a tad disingenous.

Limerick Council out does it's regional city counterparts in the incompetence stakes

Look at Cork - it is boomimg with so much new construction. Why isn't Limerick following suit.

It is. Opera center is the largest urban core development in the state outside of Dublin. New Cleeves development is practically a new city centre on the other side of the river, UL's new city campus. All of these are happening; it's not blue sky stuff.

Nobody's getting defensive. Did you know all this stuff was happening or are you operating off ignorance?

Limerick is going to leave Galway well behind with these projects (and I like Galway, not slagging it off).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yurt! wrote: »
    Look at Cork - it is boomimg with so much new construction. Why isn't Limerick following suit.

It is. Opera center is the largest urban core development in the state outside of Dublin. New Cleeves development is practically a new city centre on the other side of the river, UL's new city campus. All of these are happening; it's not blue sky stuff.

Nobody's getting defensive. Did you know all this stuff was happening or are you operating off ignorance?

Limerick is going to leave Galway well behind with these projects (and I like Galway, not slagging it off).

I am a pretty frequent visiror to Limerick and was only there just before Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Yurt! wrote: »

Unfortunately construction activity is simply not taking off in Limerick. There are no working tower cranes in Limerick at the moment. While the future looks good the above are all only plans at this stage. There are roughly 120 cranes working in Dublin, 12 in Cork and 2 in Galway. That tells it's own story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

rebs23 wrote: »
    Unfortunately construction activity is simply not taking off in Limerick. There are no working tower cranes in Limerick at the moment. While the future looks good the above are all only plans at this stage. There are roughly 120 cranes working in Dublin, 12 in Cork and 2 in Galway. That tells it's own story.

Dublin isn't relevant, as seen when compared to Cork and Galway. Limerick is behind Cork, but seeing as Cork is much bigger than Limerick and didn't suffer as badly during the recession that's not surprising.

Compared to Galway, Limerick isn't that far behind. Demolition is underway on the Rugby Experience site so there will be a crane there soon. And permission for the Opera site is due in September, with finance already in place, so there will be a number of cranes going up there in 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

topper75 wrote: »
    The foreigners comment could mean a few things.

It could mean the OP is a xenophobic bigot who cannot abide the presence of non-nationals.

It could also simply mean disappointment at the displacement of locals - a disillusionment at not seeing Limerick people in Limerick as imagined.
    Which is quite OK. I have felt similarly in London and Paris. The north inner city of Dublin is also experiencing this.

The rent is much cheaper around the railway station then it would be going towards O'Connell Street and the Newtown Pery district. Hence foreign businesses locate there and attract the corresponding footfall.

I would agree about the hotel comment. It would have been far better for the city to buy these blocks and gentrify the first things that tourists are likely to see, rather than say the Cleeves factory that is nowhere near any path beaten by tourists.

Limerick traditionally wasn't a tourist city but it ought to be as third city. It has nice stuff to show off. It is already there: heritage, culture, sports, riverside walks. Just need to make it easy for people. The tourist office should be right there on that plaza outside the station. If you make things piss simple for people, they immediately start to warm to the place.

I'll give credit to bobbyss - he gave the place a shot. It boils my blood when other Irish snipe from afar without ever even visiting Limerick.

I don't think many tourists arrive in any town by train. Bus or hired car usually; the bridges and river are what they see first and that part of Limerick looks good.

Train is mostly full of locals coming back from Dublin.

Advertisement