Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Day tripper's experience of Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

There's a single issue I have with Limerick which you don't find in Dublin, and its very noticeable, dog pooh!. The footpaths are littered with dog pooh, its terrible.

This x 1000 I see loads of people picking up their dog poo but it amazes me how much is around the place compared to any other places ireland or afar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Dublin also went through a long period of being very depressed both economically and emotionally. It was absolutely grotty in the 80s and 90s. It's thriving now.

And even at it's grottiest, 35 years ago it still wasn't as grotty as limerick and cork are now..despite all the Dublin taxpayers money being thrown at those two dumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Gotta say as a Limerick man, I agree largely with what the OP has to say.

I work in Construction here too so see alot of the good thats going on also.

All the artieries into Limerick look like shíte to be fair.

Arrive by Car.
    Coming from Tipp - Ballysimon road - not great looking. Halting site.
    Coming from Kerry - Dock Road - Not great looking. Halting Site.
    Coming from Galway - Not great looking. Halting Site. Cross the Sarsfield Bridge and you have the old Dunnes Site still an Eyesore
    Keep on the motorway from Galway and turn off at Maldron. Not great looking. Halting Site.
    Coming from East Clare in to Thomond Park. Longpavement - Not great looking. Halting Site.

Arrive by train
    Come into possibly the most depressing area in Limerick. To be fair great efforts have been made to do this up. Need some large scale street art or something.

William street is a kip past the junction with Cruises Street. Upper William Street is like Beruit sometimes.
    O'Connell Street has the potential to be lovely but they are ripping apart our Georgian Heritage there. The council in their good wisdom decided to tarmac the footpaths.
    Patrick street is basically boarded up.
    Cruises street needs a serious lick of paint.
    Thomas Street is possibly our nicest looking street. At least there is a little buzz there.

Limerick is lacking imagination. Its Grey. It can be colourful and vibrant. We have a great River front that is just underused.

The plans for O'Connell Street are lacklustre.

Then we have some good projects going on. Gardens International has really lifted Henry Street. Once Bishops Quay project kicks off that will actually be a nice area of town. UL are going to do a nice job of Sarsfield Street which will also bring much needed younger people into centre of town. Tony Enright did a nice job of 101 so that area looks decent now. Really lifts the buildings around it.

The Opera centre is really going to transform Patrick Street/Ellen Street/Granary area.

There is some amount of large scale employers investing away here in the outskirts also. We are getting there.

Limerick really is just one of those areas were it needs to just have a bit more confidence in itself to bring it to the next level.

The OP mentions about living here. I have lived in other cities and in the UK also. I have also visited an awful lot of cities globally. They all have their main tourist area and everywhere else is functional. Limerick really isnt any different. Its great to live here because life is that bit easier. Traffic is handier, we have great roads in and out and we are an hour from the coast, half an hour to an international airport.

We are poised for good things if we just back ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Dublin isn't relevant, as seen when compared to Cork and Galway. Limerick is behind Cork, but seeing as Cork is much bigger than Limerick and didn't suffer as badly during the recession that's not surprising.

Compared to Galway, Limerick isn't that far behind. Demolition is underway on the Rugby Experience site so there will be a crane there soon. And permission for the Opera site is due in September, with finance already in place, so there will be a number of cranes going up there in 2020.
    I was only replying to a comment claiming that developments are happening. They are not at construction stage yet and given the changes in the commercial property market will probably need reappraisal soon.
    We have heard a lot about plans and gross exaggerations about "largest urban core development outside Dublin" which are clearly not true.
    It is true though activity will pick up soon with the Rugby Experience, UofL, Opera site (hopefully).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It most certainly is the largest urban regeneration scheme outside Dublin. The only comparable project is the Titanic quarter in Belfast.

The project has EIB money in hand and planning permission is imminent. It's happening and to say otherwise is just to disagree because you set your stall out in an earlier post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Not reading the whole htread, but I will agree with one thing. The town is absolutely filthy. Papers blowing around, empty drink bottles and cans outside pugbs on Denmark street, doorways unkempt and littered.
    Was shocked at how bad it was last Saturday week, particularly around Cruises Street and the streets around it.
    It is also rarely clean on a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Hard to disagree with a lot of what the OP has noted. It's not just Limerick though. They could go to Tipp town, Charleville, Mountrath, and give an even more grim review. Dublin is as bad and on a bigger scale.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

grenadino wrote: »
    Hard to disagree with a lot of what the OP has noted. It's not just Limerick though. They could go to Tipp town, Charleville, Mountrath, and give an even more grim review. Dublin is as bad and on a bigger scale.

I doubt many would have gotten annoyed with the OP if he hadn't insulted the population of Limerick over their accent or commented on the amount of foreigners (Obviously referring to Africans and Muslims). Neither is relevant to a critique of the city and they make him look like someone looking for a rise.

Yurt! wrote: »
    It most certainly is the largest urban regeneration scheme outside Dublin. The only comparable project is the Titanic quarter in Belfast.

The project has EIB money in hand and planning permission is imminent. It's happening and to say otherwise is just to disagree because you set your stall out in an earlier post.
    I was only talking about current construction activity. Never said it wouldn't happen (used the word hopefully as it has to get planning approval yet). It's not the largest urban regeneration project outside of Dublin. There are similar schemes in Waterford (North Quays), Galway (Docks) and Cork (3 similar type schemes currently under construction at Penrose Quay/Horgans Quay & Albert Quay with proposals for others).

rebs23 wrote: »
    I was only talking about current construction activity. Never said it wouldn't happen (used the word hopefully as it has to get planning approval yet). It's not the largest urban regeneration project outside of Dublin. There are similar schemes in Waterford (North Quays), Galway (Docks) and Cork (3 similar type schemes currently under construction at Penrose Quay/Horgans Quay & Albert Quay with proposals for others).

It's much larger than Penrose quay and the Galway / Waterford projects.

Horgan's quay while larger in absolute terms is very much a phased project and is even more subject to economic contingencies than the Opera development.

As a standalone development, financed and ready to go, I'm happy to call the biggest in the state outside of Dublin.

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    It's much larger than Penrose quay and the Galway / Waterford projects.

Horgan's quay while larger in absolute terms is very much a phased project and is even more subject to economic contingencies than the Opera development.

As a standalone development, financed and ready to go, I'm happy to call the biggest in the state outside of Dublin.
    The Opera site is to be phased over 6 years with planning to be achieved yet. Horgans Quay is already under construction and is expected to be finished in early 2021. Penrose Quay right next to Horgans Quay is equal in size in terms of the office element to the Opera project and is already under construction. (5 cranes between 2 sites)
    The Waterford North Quays is absolutely massive and the developers have stated they will be starting at the end of this year. (I have my doubts) In absolute terms it is the largest outside of Dublin and they have stated it will complete in 3 years??? I don't know whether that will happen and it's probably a silly discussion about which is biggest but the main point is that other large scale projects in other cities outside of Dublin are far more advanced that the Opera Centre with some under construction. You might be happy to call it the largest but it simply isn't. It's not factually correct and only leads to a sense of delusion that everything is going along great with all these plans. It's not.
    It's currently disappointing the lack of construction activity in Limerick but hopefully that will change in 2019 with the Rugby experience, UofL student hub, Womens prison (all started) and the Opera finally getting planning and another lodged by UofL for the former Dunnes site. It is noticeable however the reliance on the state and semi-state agencies for these projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The stupidly named "project opera" is also a phased development which will take place over 10 years. Which means that it will have taken Limerick Council a grand total of 18 years to complete from site acquisition stage. Given the length of time they've had to design a masterplan for the site the proposal which has been submitted is incredibly bland and sterile. Take a look at the building proposed for the Patrick Street/Ellen Street corner. The tower element is a featureless montrosity also.

The big issue in Limerick at the moment is the complete absence of private investment and construction projects. The city needs to improve and grow but the lack of activity is worrying.

10 years? Anything I've seen has said it will be build in 2 phases over 4-5 years. Where are you getting 10 years from?

Read the planning application.

Vanquished wrote: »
    Read the planning application.

Applying for 10 year permission does not mean it will take 10 years to build. It has always been down as a phased build (two phases according to the planning application) over 4-5 years.

After doing a bit of digging.

The project will be one of the largest urban developments undertaken in Limerick or outside of Dublin, with up to 3,000 expected to be employed at the site when fully completed following a six-year development programme.

So not 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

And even at it's grottiest, 35 years ago it still wasn't as grotty as limerick and cork are now..despite all the Dublin taxpayers money being thrown at those two dumps.

You should take a walk from Aston Quay to Heuston Station sometime if you wish to view an example of urban decay "at it's grottiest".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Ah here now both Limerick and Cork are nicer places than Dublin.Limerick has it faults, but it's not a dump.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

bobbyss wrote: »
    Took bus to Limerick. Spent half a day there.
    Bus / Train Station: I felt I had to wash myself in hot water when I left. Absolutely filthy. Old. Unkempt. The last time I was there it was exactly the same. Must be a depressing place to work in. Why don't they clean/ fumigate it.

Huge empty space outside the station. What's going on there? Seemed like a waste and all concrete.

Did you not notice the builders ? the scaffolding or the signs ?? Its undergoing a revamp.

as for the open space outside, that's actually paving, just finished, not to my taste I will admit but hardly a mass concrete monolith of the soviet era.. Used to be a car-park

http://tiny.cc/zcwe8y

Some fine looking buildings. Opposite the train station was the Railway Hotel. Fine building but I think closed and looking dirty and filthy.

Railway hotel is hardly one of the finest buildings in Limerick but as you observed it has closed and the building is I believe up for sale.

If you had gone left, literally a stones throw you would have seen the peoples park and Perry square, one of my favorite parts of Limerick..

http://tiny.cc/jbwe8y

or the riverfront looks well http://tiny.cc/hewe8y

The other riverfront isn't so bad either http://tiny.cc/xhwe8y

Have to admit I have a soft spot for the cathedral http://tiny.cc/qjwe8y

My kids like the castle http://tiny.cc/7lwe8y

Lots of foreigners around.

Welcome to Ireland 2019. also given the time of year probably a few tourists about as well.

The people in the shops were very friendly and warm.

Good to hear. To be fair customer service in Limerick in general is pretty good.

That accent! I thought Cork was bad but Limerick seems to be some kind of cross of Cork and the even worse Kerry.

Lots of accents in Limerick. Cork. Kerry, Clare Tipp, Dublin even a few Galway lads on a day out. Also Eastern European, South American, Chinese, North American, Asian etc. Working class accents, scanger accents, middle class accents. You name it,

That place outside Arthur's Quay. Was it a tourist office? Now empty and falling apart. Shabby. .

Overall impression was a shabby place.

Hmm. Long story short, boom time, all that area was bought up for a big development called the opera centre, moves out all tenants... crash.... Nama..... sits idle, starts to fall apart. Things get better, Council set up development body Limerick 2030 (that tourist thing is actually their office). European back provide funding.. ... but its in progress..

You can read about it here http://limerick2030.ie/opera-site/ and here https://fora.ie/limerick-opera-site-european-investment-bank-3701085-Nov2017/

I think there is even a computer rendering on YouTube,.

Noticed a few characters lazing about in the adjacent park

Probably some of those foreigners with the funny accents. But to be fair the place is tiny so hard to hide. http://tiny.cc/0ywe8y

Third biggest city in the country should offer more.

As discussed they are working on it. UL just bought an empty building in the city center to start its new city center campus.

The next site for development is the Cleeves campus http://limerick2030.ie/cleeves-riverside-campus/

Good bit of residential building going on with a new suburb begin developed.

But begin from Galway did you not notice the most amazing thing ??

http://tiny.cc/u3we8y
    http://tiny.cc/x4we8y
    http://tiny.cc/j5we8y

Traffic.. or lack there of..

And the wide streets with wide footpaths which a modern city needs.

Perhaps the next time you visit Limerick, keep an open mind, meet a boardsie, go for lunch, pop out to UL for a walk round the camous https://urlzs.com/NdVFS , shop in the crescent https://urlzs.com/KnzsR, visit the old city.

I'm not saying its perfect. Limerick suffered from decades of political incompetence, but Limerick 2030 takes the development out of the hands of politicians looking at 5 year cycles.

Most of the old golden circle appears to have been busted.

The city and county councils have merged so they are no longer fighting one another.

There has been some investment with a few new companies opening and the vibe, for the first time in a while is more positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

I might be in a minority here but I actually like the space in front of the railway station - really opens it up. Could benefit from some more finishing features for sure but far better than what was there before.

Applying for 10 year permission does not mean it will take 10 years to build. It has always been down as a phased build (two phases according to the planning application) over 4-5 years.

After doing a bit of digging.

The project will be one of the largest urban developments undertaken in Limerick or outside of Dublin, with up to 3,000 expected to be employed at the site when fully completed following a six-year development programme.

So not 10 years.

That's a press release from the spin machine that is Limerick council/Limerick2030. I would take that with a monumental pinch of salt. The project has been beset by delays from the outset due to inept mismanagement. These are the same people that told us in June 2017 that construction would begin in 2018. Only for them to botch the planning application and waste an entire 18 months. They then told us that a revised application would be submitted by the end of 2018. This deadline was missed. The new target was late January 2019. This was also missed. The planning application was eventually lodged in late March. Hilariously it subsequently had to be re-submitted not once but twice due to errors in the drafting of the planning notice. This is the sort of incompetence that has characterised the project since 2011. I have no faith whatsoever in these jokers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Lots of foreigners around.

So what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭bobbyss

juneg wrote:
    So what?

Like Galway, it adds a cosmopolitian feel to the place. Makes it I think more modern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I think it's well established in this thread now that Limerick isn't the prettiest city in the world, but in terms of offering more than what initially meets the eye it's certainly up there, with a charm and a harmlessness you wouldn't find in many other places around the country.

Seriously over the last 10 years name one major public infrastructural investment in either Cork or Limerick?
    Where's the public investment? Cork and Limerick (City and County) have a population of 750,000 combined yet receive nothing like the money being thrown at various projects in Dublin region from the Childrens Hospital, LUAS extension, Offices for the Civil Service, Grangegorman, N11, N7, etc , etc. We are being denied investment in essential infrastructure while Dublin gets gold plated infrastructure like a childrens hospital that is questionable in it's location and merits. An underground next and while Billions are being pumped into these "nice to have" projects a boreen of a road is all that we have to travel between our second and third largest cities.
    Now consider all the money being thrown at a city that is over congested and ready to burst the national economy again by becoming too expensive and congested a place to do business. A city that cannot expand eastwards due to the fact it sits on the coastline.
    I like Dublin but to say that Dublin taxpayers money is being thrown at Cork and Limerick is simply untrue especially when you consider the productivity of Cork and Limerick and amount of industry located in both.
    There is a strong argument that the opposite is true when you consider the massive amounts we as a country are paying off due to bad property loans made mainly in the Dublin market, the sheer scale of the subsidy to the Dublin economy due to a centralised Civil Service, the cost of providing infrastructure to a city that is geographically hindered from developing on all sides, the cost to business of the rental market. You could go on a on about how you get better bang for your buck by investing in Cities that have had diddly squat from the central exchequer for more than a decade now.
    Dublin suffers from the mentality you just exhibited that grab all, only we deserve investment rubbish.
    You would also want to take a good walk from Hueston Station to Croke Park for the type of large scale urban decay and dereliction that a lot of us see regularly in Dublin, take a walk around Cork St and come back to us with your tales of grottiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I think it's well established in this thread now that Limerick isn't the prettiest city in the world,

Actually there are parts of Limerick city that are quite beautiful. Its full of little lanes and corners that constantly surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Walking across Sarsfield Bridge and looking up towards the castle is easily the most beautiful city centre vista in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

keane2097 wrote: »
    Walking across Sarsfield Bridge and looking up towards the castle is easily the most beautiful city centre vista in the country.

This is the thing, around the castle etc is nice, but it's not a place that a lot of people would frequent. I haven't been in there for years because there's nothing there to entice me. I don't need to go to any shop around there. Probably has a bit of a rough reputation as well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It seems to be moving in the right direction. The escape room there is worth a visit. Treaty City picked up a good spot in the area too.

For those in the thread giving out about EIB investment in Limerick, here's an EIB investment in Dublin that puts it in the shade.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0620/1056591-eib-loan-daa/

Are they going to crow about that? Is Dublin going cap in hand to the EIB just like Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dickface

I don't think cosmopolitan and modern when i see middle east, south asian, african people...maybe i am in the minority here...

Advertisement